This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedUS Residency

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mersan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mersan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US Residency
    Posted: 04/June/2004 at 11:16am

I am living in the US and have what Foreign Affairs describes as a conflict with the Department of Justice Collections Litigation and Advisory Services.  I have a Canadian student loan that according to US law has been rehabilitated.   The Canadian Department of Justice though does not recognize my rights under US or International Law or under Canadian law for that matter. As I am a Canadian Foreign Affairs will not handle my case instead referring me to the Department of Justice which sends all of my correspondence straight to Collections Litigation and Advisory Services.  It’s a classical roundabout. Rest assured though if there was a foreign government involved in my mistreatment, Foreign Affairs would be demanding redress and a respect for international law.  Of course there is another standard when it comes to demanding some integrity and accountability from the Canadian government. 

The senior counsel and paralegals at CLAS have demonstrated a total indifference to the law in my case.  They have in fact indulged in an orgy of illegality on my behalf.  In December 2002 I discovered that many of the payments that I had been making for 20 months had either not been credited to my account correctly or were missing—about 90% of the entries were incorrect.  I have also repeatedly requested a statement of interest paid for tax purposes and have never received one.  I have called and written HRDC and CLAS.  A normal response to my situation would have been to locate the missing funds, perhaps adjust the loan to acknowledge any suffering on my part and amend the dates to reflect the proper payment history.  They did find some of the money but they made no effort to ensure that they found all of it or that it was accurately entered on my statement history.  They promised to amend the statement of account to reflect the dates payments were received but did not bother with this and then told me it was unimportant.  I have all of this in writing.   To be eligible for loan rehabilitation one has to have made consecutive payments for 12 months.  The response on the part of HRDC and CLAS to my inquiry about rehabilitation was to simply change the dates on the Statement of Account for some entries to ensure I would not qualify.  To me it seems that the paralegals at CLAS screwed up and were negligent and they decided to cover up the affair.  That may be too simple of an explanation but the only other alternative would be that Justice has been taken over by baboons with no knowledge of the law or basic math.

Anyway I have been informed that Justice would like to litigate all of this in a US court.  There are only two options here and they are to negotiate or litigate.  I contacted Johnny and I am assuming as I have not heard from him that there is nothing that can be done in Canada.  That leaves litigation.  Are there any other “debtors” here living in the US that are having similar problems. 
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply