This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCBCL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Whatapain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whatapain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CBCL
    Posted: 22/November/2007 at 7:08pm
Hey all,

I got this voicemail today from CBCL about an "important business matter". I figured from the name that it was a collections agency, after some surfing and finding this great site I have a lot more info. The sum of the loan, if its what i think it is, is a joke originally 400 or 500$. A "tools for trades" loan.  Other matters related to this I'm not sure of / have no experience with. I'm just trying to get as informed as possible before calling em back.

- This loan would be 7 years old
- They haven't tried to contact me themselves, just sent me straight to collection
- The collections agency called with no letter being sent first

My questions are:
1. Is it legal for them to send me to collections without first trying to collect them selves... seems very malicious to me
2. I rather not deal with this company, giving them any more info then they already have.  Can I choose to pay off the creditor directly if I'm paying the entire balance.
3. From what Ive seem so far the people are government sanctioned domestic terrorists who can pretty much break laws at will. are the no functional checked and balances to keep them in check and proportionally punish them? (not the 1000$ fine BS that most companies laugh off)

4. 4 is about credit ratting (I know this isent the focus of the site but any info/resources would be appreciated).  Does the fact that a collection agency called me automatically put my rating in the dumpster. Is there a way to force a companies (incuding goverment in that term) to remove a bad mark (ie. the malicious intent thing)

I'm almost as un-informed as some on can get about this stuff

If the loan is what I think it is, the collections info is probably not a big deal. If its something else or I get into trouble in the future (not that I plan on it) then the info could be interesting/pertinent.

Thanks in advance
Frank
Sponsored Links

IrritatedOne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrritatedOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2007 at 12:27pm
Thanks Johnny.

Are there any options open to me now that I'm not working? In fact I have a huge credit card debt as well (partly due to the student loan - I had agreed to pay them $6000 by cash advance at one point when I didn't know my rights or options).

Do debt consolidation places handle student loans along with the rest?
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2007 at 7:45am
Yes, CBCL still collects for the Quebec Government out of their Montreal branch up there on Jean Talon.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrritatedOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2007 at 5:29am
Do you know if CBCL is still handling Quebec Student loans? I had sent them $200 a month for the last 6 months via automatic bank bill payment. I've never received any receipt letter from them. I'm not working at the moment and that money would have come in very handy right now!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2007 at 3:58am
He is referring to your Federal risk portion, which is not guaranteed by the government. Collectors sometimes say "Federal - or Canada student Loan" because they know that borrowers fear the governments more than the private lenders (banks, credit unions, etc). Collectors recognize this fear and use it to their advantage.

CBCL does not conduct any recovery or loan management service to the government of Canada any longer. Irt iwll be a few years ahead before they will have a contract with the Feds.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Tape_Worm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tape_Worm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/March/2007 at 3:48pm
Interesting.  And disturbing.  I've gotten a couple of calls in the last 2 months from a John Saso at CBCL stating that Scotiabank is demanding I pay my CSL.  He's claiming Scotiabank is attempting to recover all their outstanding debts in regards to CSLs.

Are they really not handling CSL?  And if so, why is this guy claiming I have to pay my CSL by way of CBCL?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/February/2007 at 1:58pm
CBCL no longer has carriage of CSL and CIBC student loan acounts. If you would like us to look into this and repair any damage, contact me privately. You can find my contact information at www.cfwgroup.ca

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
Kel_Bel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kel_Bel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/February/2007 at 1:32pm
I'm new here and thank god I found this forum.  I have been reading that CBCL is no longer in charge of collecting student loans.  In Nov 2006 I recieved a letter from them saying final notice.  So I called and ened up sending them 6 months of post dated cheques.  What do I do now.  They still have 3 of my cheques.  Should I stop payment on those cheques?  And if they are no longer in charge of collecting how come they sent me a letter in Nov?  Where has my money gone to then?  The amount is only 50 a month but I'm not paying them, if it's not going to my loan?  What should I do?  I need to know fast so I can cancell the cheques if I need to.  Please help me!!!!!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/January/2007 at 1:46am
The authorities that govern collection agencies rely on collection agencies to collect their accounts. Collection agencies and certain provincial governments have a very unique relationship with one another.

It goes much deeper.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
angellaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angellaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/January/2007 at 10:00am
Hi All

One thing I know for a fact is that we can put the collection agencies out of business. What they do is buy these delinquent loans from these companies and try to do good on collecting payments. They will hound you to make payments using all kinds of intimidations just to get their point across. I am speaking from experience. I get calls at work, home. They even sent letters to me at my office demanding payments.

Sure they are voltures and if you show them fear they will keep up with the charade. What you should do if your loan is default, send a letter to the collections dept. of CIBC or where ever the loan is. In that letter state how much you can pay per month (this should be something that your pocket can handle monthly), have a section in this letter for them to sign and have them send that signed copy back to you.

Make sure that you have a copy of that letter...reason this will show the courts (if they get involved) that you made an attempt to settle this matter. If you are successful make out your post dated cheques to this collection dept. (not the collection agency) and copy each cheque for your files. Should CIBC or where ever cash any of these cheques this is also proof that they accept your payment terms. If this should end up in court or with any collection agency you have your backup copy to refer to.

DO NOT LET ANY COLLECTION AGENCY intimidate you as that kind of fear is what keeps them in business. First off when they come on the line let them know that 'YOU KNOW YOUR RIGHTS', and that you dont have to take their calls as you had no business with them. Record each and every call...if they call you more than 3 time per day, record their name, phone number, and the time of the call. Let them know that you are going to call the police as that's harrassement. That I know for sure will really piss them off as I said I am speaking from experience.

If they can't collect on any bad debt how in gods name are they going to stay operative. (Trust me they know this). If you are not able to make arrangements with the collection department of CIBC etc. get a credit couselling agent involve, never resort to consumer proposal as they file their claim with the credit bureau as a bankruptcy and even though they file this claim and you are paying them to help you with this debt you can still get screwed as they only help you cover a portion of that loan and once your transaction with them is finish you still have the remainder of that loan to pay.

A lot of you are doing the right thing by making payment arrangements with the collection agency but know that you are not entitled to pay them anything no matter what they say, and they will call to say my client wants us to take you to court or wants us to do whatever it is necessary to collect this money. There are very useful info on www.canlaw.com about collection agencies and how they work, what they can and cannot do, there is also a section on the collection agency act, and also a referral site for lawyers who can give advice as to how to approach them.

Every agency is goven by higher authority who helps to keep them in check and in line. DONT LET THEM INTIMIDATE YOU, as if they know they get to you then they will think that they win. Only the creditor can sue you or take you to court. I am not saying that you should let your loan go delinquent, however if it is transfered to a collection agency that means your credit is already screwed, but the ball is always is your court and only you can get that credit back on track.

Thanks,
Angella
Susie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/October/2006 at 1:49am
CA CAN SAY ANYTHING THEY WANT, THEY JUST WANT YOU TO PAYOFF YOUR LOAN SO THEY CAN GET COMMISSION. THEY CAN'T DEMAND YOU HOW MUCH MONTHLY PAYMENT TO MAKE. EVEN IF YOU SENT $10 POST DATED CHEQUE THEY HAVE TO ACCEPT. THEY WOULD STOP CALLING YOU AS SOON AT THEY RECEIVED CHEQUE. (YOU CHOOSE HOW MUCH YOU WANT TO PAY MONTHLY, NOT CA). 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/September/2006 at 2:04pm
The agency is gong to threaten you with whatever they can to get you to pay. The question is how far can they go? This is not somethign anyone can answer without knowing you, or your situation. At the end of the day, you will have to dealwith these calls and threats for the duration.

If you want protection and a solution, let me know. Youwill have to become a client in this event. Otherwise, best of luck!

Johnny

www.cfwgroup.ca

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrritatedOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/September/2006 at 7:51am
What's happened now:
CBCL-
I had set up monthly payments with my online banking but the
first payment bounced because the amount I usually get
deposited from family allowance was drastically reduced. So I
contacted them and told them they will receive the first amount
this month on the 20th.

The guy at CBCL said that because I broke my promise, the
government is taking legal action and he can put a hold on it for
one week so I can try to find the interest amount which is about
$12000. I told him that no bank or any institution will likely give
me a loan when I have no means of paying it back along with
all the other debt I've incurred.

He said then after the week is up, they will begin legal action
and seize everything. When I asked what is "everything" if I
have nothing, he said everything until it's paid: car, income,
anything!

If my car gets seized, I cannot work. That is how I work. So
what happens? What actually happens now if I cannot pay 12
thousand? I can only pay $200 a month, which now they are
not accepting. If I get a commission cheque I will pay a big
lump sum. But I have no deals lined up yet.

What should I do? I cannot afford to lose any of the few assets I
have. I have 3 kids and live in family housing.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2006 at 11:28am

Hi Irritated,

"Also, the way they told me to do it was to make a cash advance on the card, then make a bank draft for the amount because they couldn't accept credit card payment directly."

The collection agency is not allowed to accept credit card payments because your student loan provider prohibits that method, and also the Provincial Ministry has issues about these payment methods. This is why they told you to go cash advance and give them a bank draft.

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrritatedOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/August/2006 at 5:36am
I phoned the guy back at CBCL and I let him do all the talking at
first. He said it was great I made a huge contribution of $6000
but what happened since. He had some difficulty
understanding that I'm self employed and yet work for a real
estate firm. I told him that the previous fellow shouldn't have
asked me to put that amount on the credit card as it was a
higher interest rate and caused me hardship.

After that he became much softer and nicer.
Then he told me I could pay a small amount per month and if I
sent post-dated cheques for 6 months, the interest would stop
but if I send monthly it won't, but he said I can do what I want. I
chose to do internet payments. I questioned his logic on that
and he kept saying that the goverment sees the total amount of
what I pay against the interest despite the fact I'm paying
monthly. I don't know if that is correct or not. Anybody?

Either way, I may set up monthly withdrawls on my internet
banking and show them that - that may satisfy us both. He will
fax me the statement of my account as well. Any suggestions?
Does this all sound legit?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrritatedOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/August/2006 at 5:36am
Yes, they did "force" me to put it on my credit card. I told them
that I had high interest and they said that I should do whatever I
can to pay off the student loan interest in as big a lump sum as I
can. It did really cause me hardship in the end as I haven't
been able to pay that off either now.

Also, the way they told me to do it was to make a cash advance
on the card, then make a bank draft for the amount because
they couldn't accept credit card payment directly. That should
have been the clue, but I did it.

Now I'm worried about if I do tell them to stop calling, will they
seek another means to collect such as legal action to seize
property. Aside from home furnishings, TV, computer etc, I
have a 4 year old car. If I don't have a car I cannot work. Could
they take that?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2006 at 1:40am

If the interest on your credit card acount is higher than the student loan ... not good. If the debt you owe is a guaranteed Canada Student Loan, and a collection agency demanded that you pay them using a credit card, that is against rules issued by the government.

If paying that amont of money using a credit card does not cause you real hardship in any way, no harm done.

Why did you put it on your credit card? Was there any coersion or enticement from a collector to do this?

Johnny

www.cfwgroup.ca

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrritatedOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2006 at 9:10am
Thanks for your input, I will look at all the posts and try to figure
what's the best course of action to take.... soooooo
overwhelmed. I don't know if was a good or bad move to have
paid them $6000 on my credit card as far as the loan is
concerned - I know for me it was a bad move just on the fact
that it's my credit card and not cash.
Thanks again.
lil0124 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil0124 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/August/2006 at 8:34am

If you spend some time looking through this site and the other posts, there are many great suggestions. The thing I found the most helpful (there are many suggestions here, really), was to answer the phone and inform the caller that you are aware that you have the legal right to tell them that they are not allowed to contact you by phone, ever again. Ask him/her to confirm that they hear what you said. Tell them to note it on your file. Then hang up. Repeat those statements until you hang up.

Again, there are many stories, comments and suggestions here that are worth considering.

Warmest regards, me

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrritatedOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/August/2006 at 5:53am
I'm really happy - no, "thrilled", is more the word - that I have found
this forum on the web!

I am a real estate agent but I do only about 1-2 deals a year, self-
employed. I have maxed out my credit cards and supposedly have a
student loan around $29k from 1996-7. I never made any attempts
to pay until this past November 2005, when they forced me to put
$6000 on my credit card even though I had made only $7000 that
year!

I feel really stupid because I didn't know my rights. I have a car that
I own, but no other assets, no property, house etc. I live in family
housing in Vancouver (which is still expensive) I have 3 kids and 2
ex-husbands who don't pay any support. But I have a boyfriend who
I live with who helps pay rent etc but he pays a huge portion of his
pay to his ex-wife for support. I receive calls from CBCL every single
day and I have stopped returning their calls since about February

I told them I was waiting on a deal, and if I got it, I'd pay
them off. It hasn't happened yet. (A client of mine wanted to buy an
apartment building & hasn't found one yet). CBCL suggests
ridiculous things like how about I get a loan to pay them, or tell me
that $150 or $300 a month won't even cover the interest accruing on
the loan. There's about $11k in interest apparently.

Do you know how I can specifically get these guys off my back until I
have a means to pay them without accruing more interest? The $6k
I paid will be for nothing I imagine.

Now they've started a new method, every morning they found about
3 times in a row; my caller ID says "unknown name, unknown
number" so I don't answer. A new case worker has left me a
message, politely, but I don't want to call them back until I know
what I should tell them.

Thanks to anybody who can help on this one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>