This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCBCL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2004 at 2:42pm
Zafire,

I'm obviously willing to risk death by the gravitational action upon coconuts. That's just the kind of on-the-edge wildman I am.

I'm sorry if you detected a backander at Mersan in my remarks concerning his failure to find employment in his chosen field. I was careful in every post to make it clear that his inability to get work was not necessarily an indication of his shortcomings but rather might indeed be a (mis?)perception on the part of those who made the decision. 

Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

My main objection has been and continues to be his insistence on misrepresenting my statements and out and out lying about me and what I said. In any case, I certainly respect his right to have his say (god knows that if you read this topic, you read his position and theories in detail and at length). 

Be nice if someone else's opinion (not even a contrary one, mind you...just one that fails to jump up and applaud his) was not dismissed as "argumentative".  As far as I know, this is intended to be a forum for support and the exchange of ideas. EXCHANGE implies some degree of reciprocity.

So, one more time. Can you please lighten up, Mersan?

Edited by Java Man
Sponsored Links

dazed&confused View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazed&confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2004 at 4:08pm
Is it a full moon again??? Just curious.
momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2004 at 4:21pm
actually, i think it is...
6273kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6273kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2004 at 4:25pm
 Lordy Lordy....Can you feel it too...
zafire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zafire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2004 at 1:02am
It is actually a couple of days after the full moon... Am I not nice Java? 
Coffee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2004 at 11:28am

Let us all start anew!

Solidarity people!

Student debtors of our land, unite!

Who needs a drink?

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2004 at 3:49pm

Leave out the "of our land part" and I'll join you!

Maybe Mersan will too.

BigFatherA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFatherA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/October/2004 at 7:00pm
Student Debtor's of the WORLD unite!!!

Make mine a vodka. 
BigFatherA
Priest & Teacher
non carborundum illegitemi est
Coffee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/October/2004 at 7:51am

Sorry Java and my bad.  The issue affects everyone in all parts of the world.

Think globally and act locally!

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/October/2004 at 3:34pm

Yes, as I've pointed out elsewhere, Canadian student loans have scattered Canadians across the globe.

So I raise my glass....Canada...Up yours!

Coffee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2004 at 8:06am

Guest,

Its not the country you take issue with, I hope.

I trust you are refering to the the idiots  that we elect to govern and represent our interests.

zafire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zafire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2004 at 11:11am
what happened to Java Man?
David View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/December/2004 at 10:50am

Dear All:

Thank you for educating me on how to deal with collection agent!

I am receiving rude and stupid threats from a CBCL agent and I was scared before I came to this forum.

After I come up with a strategy and tactics to deal with this CBCL agent, I will let you know. As well, as my situation gets troubled and needs your advice, I will ask for your advice.

Unity is power. Information is power.

Thank you all.

D Solution
Proudcdn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudcdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/January/2005 at 9:11pm
I would like to know how to go about filing a harrassment case against CBCL.

I have followed all the proper channels. 

1) I have written to their ombudsman 3 times asking them to stop phoning me before 6:00am and to stop calling me at work.  Each time I was assured it would not happen again.  In fact, I even have a letter stating that the only form of contact I would receive from CBCL would be written correspondence.

2) I have written Consumer Affairs 3 times to lodge complaints against their practices.  Each time I was told they were making a file, and would look into it.

3) I have contacted the RCMP.  I was told there is nothing they can do.

4) I have contacted the local Vancouver police.  I was told there is nothing they can do.

5) I have contacted my Member of Parliment (Hedy Fry).  This has been useless.

6) I have contacted lawyers who claim I have a case against CBCL, but they are unwilling to take them on.

Are they really above the law?
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2005 at 5:01am
Proudcdn

Talk to the bank where the loan originated and discuss it with them.

When Nordon was harassing me I wrote a letter to the RBC Ombudsman, and told them everything.

Apparently they did some investigation, or at least they told me that they did, and I ended up getting a nice apology letter from the Pres. of the RBC.

Document everything and contact the Banks Ombudsman.

And file a complaint with the consumer protection branch of the Justice Dept.

I also did this with Nordon.

Good luck

whereto? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whereto? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2005 at 7:22am
One threat that worked for a friend...he was being called constantly at all hours regaurding his sister who had run away and hand't been seen for 2 years, was a threat to contact the .....  I believe it was phone company and CRTC....  if it is found by one or the other of those that the persons telephone is being used as a means of communication to make threats, the offending agency can loose thier phone service.  The CA stopped calling pronto.  Record some calls and Id look into this...
Proudcdn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudcdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2005 at 7:22am
I have actually done those things Hunter.  In fact ScotiaBank is willing to take my loan back to the bank level if I pay all outstanding interest ($4500).  Trouble is I do not have that money.
They have also offered me a settlement (approx 70%).  Again I do not have the money they would like to settle for.

The issue is that CBCL blatently breaks the law and their seems to be no legal re-course for us little guys :(
kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2005 at 10:37am

Proudcdn......(I am too )..Anyway--Don't be fooled by their "settlement" offer.  More often than not this is a ploy to see if you can come up with a bunch of money and then they still come after you for the rest--if it is not a valid offer.  If the CAs offered the settlement...they probably didn't even speak to ScotiaBank about it first.  I was tricked into believeing an offer from a CA was all good but I never received anything from the actual creditor!!!!!!!!!  Thank goodness I never went through with it.....I couldn't get the loan amount anyways  .

It's easy to believe we are the little guys when feeling hopeless/helpless--When you do make progress with any complaint you will not feel so powerless anymore-GOOD LUCK!!

BigFatherA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFatherA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2005 at 7:38pm
It sounds like Proudcdn needs to call Johnny.
BigFatherA
Priest & Teacher
non carborundum illegitemi est
Proudcdn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudcdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/January/2005 at 6:36am
As for the Settlement offer, it is coming directly from ScotiaBank.  It is also in writing that once the agreed figure is paid that I am absolved of all debt owed to ScotiaBank under account #123456.

I have had success settling my CIBC loan in this manner.

Again the issue is not the settlement, the issue is not that I owe money, the issue is not CBCLs tactics.

The issue is CBCL (and other collection agencies) are beyond reproach.  NO ONE will take them on.  No one has been able to make them stop breaking the law.  Have a look around these boards ... there are 100's if not 1000's of people that have stories of Collection Agencies breaking the law.  If even 10% of these people filed complaints via the Justice Department, HRDC, Consumer Affairs, etc, etc ... WHY ARE THEY STILL BREAKING THE LAW?

I want to sue them for harrassment.  Trouble is nobody seems to want to take this on, much less help me process it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>