This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCBCL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
silence2long View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silence2long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/January/2005 at 2:04pm

Kwelman you are right.....that is exactly what I have been forgetting this week.  Unfortunately it is not the only issue on my plate this week.  I am also faced with a senior union member who is unhappy in their present position and wants mine.  A self-serving sport organization that my child is involved in is back at it again. To top it off this morning a rock hit my windshield...that I just replaced a month and a half ago.  So you are right...I do need to take a step back and refresh....I have barely slept this week.  And I am beginning to spew myself.....

Think I will go and have some snowball soup (hot choc.) and play a board game with the kids.

silence is a form of fear...fear of the unknown...has kept me silent too long
Sponsored Links

CARGO1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARGO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/January/2005 at 9:07pm

silence2long

It all can be over whelming, I remember when I first found this site I stayed up for days reading everything over and over and over again...lol the more I read the Crazier for knowledge I became.. it was addictive, it still is. (my girlfriend thought I had lost my mind)

Just remember to step back and live your life.

I hope you had a good time tonight with your kids

Troy

snowball soup...lol. I havent heard that in years... Think I might go have cup myself.

Edited by CARGO1
              ����The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silence2long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2005 at 11:32am

I just want to thank those at this site....  WestCoastGirl.. Kwelmm... Cargo.. .Johnny...Momof2...and others... I feel so much more informed than I did a week ago !   I have stepped back and got some much needed sleep and time with the kids.... I will continue to check back here to read while I await the CSL file.... I will also be requesting my credit reports, I cleared up all my credit card debt(issued in college)in 2000...it took a few years to pay that off. I receive applications all the time in the mail and you can't imagine how joyful it is to rip these up!!! 

I have much to learn.  Wish there would have been a mandatory course in high school called OSAP 101????  OR a course period !!!

I am out of the fear mode I was placed in at the beginning of the week.... I didn't even realize it...thank you Johnny for that in another posting you made.... I'd love to call you and chat...but will go through this little process first so that I have my s*** in order.  I do need to take at least that step in sorting out this mess.  My signature at the bottom says it all.......Thanks...tommorrow begins a new week.... glad I got through the week without putting my foot in my mouth too much !!  I owe it to you guys

BTW...I found out that the senior union member cannot take my job untill at least next September... or untill their job becomes obsolete  .... at the moment I am fine !!!

Edited by silence2long
diannetrudgeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diannetrudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2005 at 9:36am

Hi, Well I have a story to tell you about the Canadian Bonded Credit Ltd.  They are harrasing, irresponsable, jerks. I am a single mother of four children and I tried getting interest relief but was refused. So I told them as soon as I get a job I will make payments. Needless to say. They still harrase me. So I made payment arrangements and sent a years worth of postdated cheques of $52.00 a month. It wasn't even a week and the dirty jerks took $300.00 out of my account which was my Family Allowance. They Stole from my kids mouths, that is the only money I live on other than what my ex gives me which is $300.00 a month. I couldn't buy groceries, for my kids. I called them and gave them s**t and told them if the money wasn't back in my account I will go to the newpapers and News channels and let people know that CBCL Steals from single mothers as well as other people. They "SAID" they would email their manager to email the CIBC to put it back into my account. That was two weeks ago now. I have been calling them every day two to three times a day and nobody calls me back. I called my bank and they haven't recieved any emails. I don't know what eles to do. I will wait till Monday and if they don't call me I think I will go to the newspapers and talk to them about Canadian Bonded Credit Ltd. What do you think?

Thanks for letting me blow off steam.

Dianne

Dianne Trudgeon
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2005 at 10:48am
Dianne, what you should do is go to your bank, and bluntly tell them that was NOT an authorized withdrawel, and tell to put it back in right NOW.

Think you will get farther doing this than dealing with the CA.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silence2long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2005 at 2:37pm
Silence takes a very deep breath as she reads the posts above in this thread.  I am choked....literally choked....(they are all my first posts that I wrote---which I felt was eons ago)   I came on here to make another post in regards to misdeeds to another poster....I will come back and make a post here in a few minutes.... and tell you how I would deal with it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silence2long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2005 at 4:25pm

So I made payment arrangements and sent a years worth of postdated cheques of $52.00 a month. It wasn't even a week and the dirty jerks took $300.00 out of my account which was my Family Allowance.

I can't understand how this can happen ???  Or how a $52 could be misconscrude at the bank level for $300.  There are a  number of posts on here about this happening though... but I am not sure that you can even do anything to recover this money.  It is most unfortunate.

I can offer this though........ you need to run to the bank and close that account, if they will not resolve this matter for you.  Go to another bank and open another account... if you normally have direct deposits from sources (Family Allowance -- CTC...etc.) contact them with your new banking information.... it is normally a very quick process even though they say 4-6 weeks... they recommend that you leave your other account open in the meantime ( if you have to do this--leave nothing in the account)

Ask your bank the source of which withdrew your funds ??  Put a stop payment-- restriction on the source-- then throw away your cheque book.

Write the CA a letter stating that because of their unauthorized withdrawl from your account-- you have closed your account and to dispose of the cheques as they are no longer valid( and will go NSF)  Tell them also that because of the payment arrangements discussed previously you will not be making a payment for the next six months. (The amount of their unauthorized withdrawl) When the six months have come to pass you will be sending monthly money orders in the amount of $52.

You will then have the power to send the money order on what day of the month you deem fit...

Myself on the other hand... if this happened to me...wouldn't send them squat !!

(I am not recommending this..just letting you know what I would do in case you are interested)

1fatcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1fatcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/August/2005 at 8:26am

I am also having trouble with CBCL regarding a student loan. They keep harassing me for payments even though NSLSC has been receiving the payments. According to CBCL, no one has gotten anything. When I tell them to check with NSLSC, they say they already did (liars). Already half of the loan has been paid off, but CBCL keeps demanding payment for the full amount of the loan. It has gotten to the point where I no longer return their phone calls because it is a waste of time. They have ruined my credit rating because of their incompetence. I have already filed a complaint with HRDC, and have a sent in a complaint to both CA and BBB. With so many complaints aganst CBCL, one must wonder why NSLSC keeps dealing with them.

kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2005 at 1:09am

1fatcat (LOL  love the name!!),

It astounds me that so many complaints are made against CAs, and yet, what happens??  hmmmm...we all know...blind eye of ignorance? hahaha...of course when there is money and/or banks involved coupled with government agenda....that only spells one thing!  Dare I say....LOL....

Anyhooooo....good for you fatcat for taking the steps to complain...hope something gets done in your case!!!!!

1fatcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1fatcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/September/2005 at 4:23am

Well, I haven't heard anything as of yet, but CBCL has stopped calling. Don't know if that's good or bad. What I do know is that this whole thing has had a negative impact on my credit rating. Not entirely sure what to do about that. My employer does offer credit counselling, among other things, so I probably should consider taking them up on it.

CBCL is supposedly such a large company, yet they don't have a website, nor do they have anyway of reaching an actual live person who can help. Makes one think, doesn't it?

Buff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/September/2005 at 6:41am

Fatcat,

They stopped calling because they no longer deal with Canada Student Loans. As of Sept 1, the government pulled all their CSL files from CBCL and they're going to give them to another collection agency.

You should get a letter from the new agency by mid-Oct (so says the government woman I called the other day), telling you who you now owe and how much. Until then, it's pretty much sit and wait, though you can make payments directly to the government in the meantime.

Personally, I'm waiting until I get something in the mail. If I send a payment now, I don't know that it's going to get credited to my account. I also put stop payments on the remaining checks that I'd sent to CBCL. They haven't yet been cashed and I don't want someone trying to ram through 3 months worth at once. That's a sure way to bounce at least 2 of them.

You can still call CBCL and talk to the person you were dealing with in the past. Not sure you want to do that, as it depends on the relationship you had with him/her. Either way, they can't do much except tell you that it's out of their hands now.

CBCL's number is 1-877-683-8339 (yeah, I do have it memorized). Push 3 if you know the person's extension, then dial it and the # key. If you don't know it, follow the instructions to talk to the first available person. They're a bit busy right now, so you might get stuck on hold for a while.

The credit counselling idea might be a fun thing to try, if only to piss the collection agencies off. I told my first agent that I was going to call around and she got so mad at me. She said it was a really bad idea, yelled a bit, then said that I was way better off dealing with her. Hmm, wonder if there's a reason I called her the Wicked Witch of the West whenever we spoke.

1fatcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1fatcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/September/2005 at 7:02am
Well that's good. Not having to deal with CBCL that is. I've dealt with collection agencies before and CBCL is by far the worst. I have been making payments through the government anyhow. That I will continue to do regardless who they give it to. Maybe they got too many complaints about CBCL? Who knows. At this point I don't honestly care, just so long as I no longer have to deal with these clowns. The funny thing is that most honest collectors (if there truly are such things) actually do recommend a credit counsellor. But that's been my experience anyway.
reality View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/October/2005 at 12:56pm
Here's my advice (and it's free)...I mean, c'mon, if you have money to pay Johnny, you have money to pay your loans...no diss to Johnny of course, if you have assets to protect, etc. from lawsuit judgments. I'm talking about more judgment proof people (like most of the people I see posting here, and me).  Use Money Mart or a credit union for banking purposes.  Keep traces of yourself or your dealings NOWHERE to be found.  Collectors use BS and fear all the time, even if creditors don't sue.  Do what it takes so they can't find you to mail you or talk to you.

However, if you're poorer than a church mouse (like me), 1st of all, get a new phone number (or even a cheap cell that's unlisted for a home phone), have it UNLISTED, send all collection mail back in a separate envelope with the notation "moved" (trust me, this works), this way Canada Post will still send you your wanted regular mail, and the collectors won't continue to waste postage on you, and DON'T ACKNOWLEGE ANYTHING (even if you intend to pay and need more time doing it) just use a savings account to accumulate money but DON'T PAY collectors A CENT....because if you even acknowlege them or pay them a buck they can and WILL harrass you to kingdom come...

I'm so poor I couldn't even afford a trustee to file bankruptcy...these are steps I took, and waited out the six year Equifax/TransUnion clock no problem...just as effective but cheaper than bankruptcy...then after you wait the **** out you can get credit again...to buy ASSETS SMARTLY of course, like real estate, etc.  SLs are TEN years, of course, but the tactics you use should be the same.

OVERALL remember, YOU are in control.  Avoid the guilt trips, fear plays, bullsh*t, etc.  Creditors don't care.  Collectors don't care.  They make their commish, and then they move on to other prey.    They can write off bad loans on their taxes anyways, so even if they "lose" they don't really lose.

Above all else, if there's no "there" there, they won't sue (or they would be very stupid to do so) because you can't get blood from a stone, so to speak.  In all my dealings, I've never been sued, or judgments entered against me.  If they can't find you, or you won't acknowlege, they can't sue.  If you give them a sob story, that's the worst thing you can do, because you've now acknowleged the debt and that's when they turn the screws to you.  To protect your sanity (and your long-term health), do the steps I've outlined here and you'd be better off for them.

If you can (or want to for morality/religious reasons) pay, pay of course, but accumulate first, then offer to pay a reduced settlement in one lump sum while insisting that all negs be removed from your credit reports first.  This you could use Johnny for (by now you'd have money to pay :)

Overall, of course, the whole Student Loan system needs to be radically reformed, if not abolished entirely.  Why should one generation get student grants and then the next pay out through their nose in the form of loans with INTEREST?  I mean, Jesus H. Christ, that is the single most form of regressive social policy I can think of, short of cutting welfare and forcing people to rely on charity for their human rights to adequate food and shelter.  How the hell are you going to or supposed to benefit society in general when you are not on a solid footing to begin with?  This is where the right-wing general thinking of the 90s fails so completely and miserably.

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/October/2005 at 1:47pm

With all due respect, avoiding debt is your free advice? How do you know that "most" are judgment proof? In fact, no one is judgment proof. A judgment can be taken against someone without having a clear avenue of execution.

Hey, look, I am not judging you. Offer whatever sound advice you can that will help people solve the problems they suffer from. Just be aware that evading is not productive - and is in no way a solution. Maybe it is/was for you. You have your reasons.

I would like your thoughts on something, if you will please.

You said:

" if you have money to pay Johnny, you have money to pay your loans...no diss to Johnny of course, if you have assets to protect, etc. from lawsuit judgments."

Does this also apply to the $1500 +, several thousands more dollars for a consumer proposal, or the 25% commission that these so called non-profit credit counseling schemes profit from every dollar you pay into their debt pool?

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/October/2005 at 5:09pm

Reality...three posts and I no student loan story of your own? No questions?

Just curious...

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
countrygirl2094 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countrygirl2094 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2005 at 8:10am
Has anyone heard about their debts since the gov took back their csl's from CBCL?  Just curious, because I haven't heard a word from them or from any other collection agency.
digimon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2005 at 9:17am

Originally posted by countrygirl2094 countrygirl2094 wrote:

Has anyone heard about their debts since the gov took back their csl's from CBCL?  Just curious, because I haven't heard a word from them or from any other collection agency.

I have.  Total Credit Recovery (TCR) is apparently in possession of mine now.  They have been phoning me at work for more than 2 weeks now.  Apparently my file does not contain my home phone number.  I have requested a letter from them, but have yet to recieve anything.  I think Mr. Atta is becoming a little annoyed with me.

Buff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2005 at 9:26am

Countrygirl,

Nothing yet on my end.

In September, CBCL gave me a number for the government collection services people. The woman there told me that I'd get something in the mail by mid-October. This would tell me who now had my loans.

In mid-November, after still not receiving anything, I called back. The guy who answered said that my loan had not been assigned to anyone yet. I asked when it would happen and if he knew who would get it. He didn't know. He said I could mail in payments whenever I wanted in the meantime and gave me an address.

I then heard him type a few things on the computer. He asked why I was so eager to get this settled. He said that it's in collection and a few more months wouldn't make a difference. He typed a bit more, then said that given my payment history (small but regular payments), it would be there for a long time to come, so what was my hurry anyway. Easy for him to say. He has a nice little government job and can do what he wants.

Buff

countrygirl2094 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countrygirl2094 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2005 at 11:10am
LOL, no kidding Buff! Yes I was  told the same about hearing something by Oct.  But still nothing.  I asked the lady at hrdc if I would be charged interest while they played there little "find the new collection agency" game.  She assured me that interest would not be charged.   It wasn't my fault afterall that I had no one  to pay my money to.  As for all the post dated checks I had sent, I cancelled those babies.   I didn't want to get caught with my pants down when they started cashing all of them at once.  Besides, how do I  know who has them?  They are addressed to CBCL.....anyway thanks for replying.  At least I know i'm not the only waiting in limbo.  I hate waiting to know who the next agency is.    I know many people had problems with CBCL but they treated me ok.  I am worried the next guy won't be so nice.   I don't do well with being challenged.   
Buff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2005 at 2:32am

I cancelled my checks too for the same reason. I had 3 left at the time and I knew they'd try to push all 3 through at once. It happened too. Someone else on here said that 2 of theirs (maybe more, can't quite remember) were cashed at the same time. That would have hurt me. One at a time works, but not more, especially when I don't know they're going to be cashed.

Apparently people who wrote their checks to CBCL had them cashed by the government in late September. Theoretically, this means that they were applied as payments against the accounts.

No interest is being charged? Nobody told me that, but if it's true, that definitely works for me.

Buff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>