This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDealing with collection agencies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
thisiskat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thisiskat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dealing with collection agencies
    Posted: 22/December/2008 at 3:12pm
I attended 3 courses at Seneca college for about 2 months.  In November of 2007, my mother became ill with cancer and I left the province.  I also did not drop these 3 courses at this time.  As a result of my mothers illness, I moved out of my Toronto apartment, which is the only address the college had on file. Now, over a year later, I received an email asking me for payment for outstanding fees.
1) no contact has been made over the phone and I have not received any invoices
2) no threat to the collection agency has been made
3) I applied to the same college for a different program under the same name in march of 2008 and was not told I owed any fees at that time

I understand that the burden is on the college to prove that I owe them fees for these courses that I did not receive a grade for. (but I also didn't drop out, stupid me)

I'm concerned that the college can go to York University (on the same campus) and ask for my contact information.  Or am I protected by PIPEDA?

Also, if I provided the college with my SIN, can they use that as well to try and contact me?

I don't feel that the college is entitled to payment since I did not receive any grades from them, but I can see where I was wrong.  I'm annoyed that they waited over a year to email me to even bring this outstanding account to my attention (and then not even give me a specific amount, just a number to call back)

Any feedback would be appreciated.  And yes, I've done my best to read the other posts!
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/December/2008 at 9:15am
There is a rule book that they have to abide by. However, rules that protect you are a burden to the debt collection industry. Also, the authorities who wrote the rule book and are responsible to reprimand them when rules are broken actually depend on these agencies to collect their debt. So, they have a unique relationship with one another that comes with perks, perhaps.

Tell them to stop phoning you at work. If they persist, seek help and make them stop.
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/December/2008 at 4:04pm
Thanks for the response Johnny. But despite the current economic conditions, I take it the collection agencies still shouldn't be doing this (i.e., phoning people at their work). Is this an official rule/law? Again, I'd like to know how to handle this the next time this happens.

Regards, 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/December/2008 at 7:23am
Here is what you have to take into consideration....

Up until a year ago, a lot of collectors have been known to bend the rules to get their job done. They did whatever works for them to earn a commission.  Now, collection agencies are in survival mode, not only because it is the most difficult time of year for collections. Canada is going through an economic downswing. So, as a result, the debt collection industry is forced to wander outside the boundaries. Right now in the consumer population it is all about saving and reorganizing priorities. That means more difficult times for collectors trying to make a commission. In addition to this,  they are trying to save the agency that employs them.  

Desperate people do desperate things while under tremendous financial pressure. The bankruptcy and debt pooling assignments are evidence of that. Desperate collection agencies and collectors plug their ears up so they do not have to listen to anything you have to say. Desperation has set into that industry.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/December/2008 at 4:34am
The original post in this thread states that collection agencies are not supposed to contact you at your place of employment. Is this still true? This is starting to happen to me (pertaining to a CIBC student loan), so I want to know if I can tell them they're not supposed to be doing that, etc.

Regards,
Miss_Savvy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss_Savvy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2008 at 10:44am
See the guy I spoke too asked me to send cheques, something told me to hold off because he said he would send a invoice this week.  To no surprise, no invoice with our agreement, I haven't sent any cheques, but he has called to find out where the money is?? lol... anyhow I found out you can make pymts to these jerks via online banking so I think I will go that route and be in control of what I pay.
Miss Savvy
andrizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/November/2008 at 3:31am
Haha, Alliance One.

I have only ever dealt with 2 collection agencies. The second being the most recent (within the last month) was Alliance One.

- The agent was very, very rude. Literally, I could not believe how she talked to me and belittled me.
- She lied to me. (Said she left me 2-3 voice mails in the last 2 days - which I believe is a violation of calling too much - Funny seeing as how I don't have voice mail. I told her this and she said "Well, I left them")
- Called back the next day and asked to speak to someone either than her. I was asked why and I said "I don't want to be spoken to rudely or lied to". He ignored what I had said and went right into how I was going to pay this back (It's 1100$)

- I told him that I am currently a full-time student living off of students loans and would not be able to make a payments right away (I told him I would be able to pay it off in January)

- This was not good enough - he told me to call around to family and see if I could get help paying this back (Also a violation)

I told him that I could afford to pay $50 a month until January when I would be able to pay it off completely. (I got a rahter last bursary this year so good timing. Lol)

He said he would ONLY accept $100 a month (He called October 4-5th and wanted a payment for Sept of 100$ then ANOTHER payment before the end of October of 100$.

I told him I really couldn't afford to pay that much and he said if I didn't he would contact that company I owe the money to (Future Shop) or contact whoever (I forget who he said ) and told me that I would never be able to get a loan for a mortgage or a car or anything for the rest of my life.

Miss_Savvy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss_Savvy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/October/2008 at 5:18pm

I am currently dealing with two credit agencies and would like to know how to proceed.  one is alliance one - i spoke to rep seemed pretty nice, advised he has my file for 7 mths and says i can make pymts on 3% of the balance owing - so i agreed but have not sent cheques out  as of yet for the pymt of $324/mths, he says that this will not be reported to crd bureau but he can offer me a settlement of $9200. If i agree to send post dated cheques to build a relationship w this creditor, is this a good deal or am i being screwed?  My tried to apply for a loan but my bank told me there is literally a hold on my bureau and they cannot process any loan applications??? 

The next is from a place called Natale Law Offices they sent me a draft Defence to Plaintiff’s Claim/Defendant’s Claim, but it's filed in Richmond Hill I am in Toronto, plus when i contacted them they said pay in full I told them I can only afford xxx amt, she said see me in court and she will garnish my wages.

What are my options here?  Do I just sent post dated cheques of what I can afford to pay, or is it the collection agency who is messing up my bureau this debt is a year old

Any suggestions
In Death View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In Death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/September/2008 at 1:20pm
Hi everyone,

I am new to all this debt crap. Frankly, I really don't understand much of it except that I have to pay all of it off. However I thought that if you don't have the means to pay a LARGE lump sum, you can set up to make monthly payments with the agency ...

So I am dealing with this agency, CBV. The person I spoke to was quite rude and really unhelpful. She was absolutely uncompromising about giving me the option to make monthly payments. Instead she demanded that I should make a 10 grand payment by the end of this month (Sept, 2008)!
She suggested that I should take loans from the bank ... what bank is going to give me a loan, for godsakes?

can someone please advice me on this? Honestly, I was in such a shock to hear this ... I don't really know what to do right now or where to get that kind of money?
Buff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/September/2008 at 10:48pm
Last I heard was that 270 days (roughly 9 months) in arrears gets a CSL sent to collection. That could have changed though.

Buff
anamtark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anamtark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 4:43am
If somebody miss regular payments (either principal+interest or interest only) of CSL for say 6-7 months at a row, how many months it takes by CSL authority to send the student loan to collection agency?
Madmorrigan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madmorrigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2008 at 4:37am
"Since I would be out of Canada I am going to be considered as non-resident and I don't have to file tax return for Canada"

I wouldn't be too sure about that--my brother has lived in Asia on and off for almost 10 years and he still has to file (he doesn't, but that's not the point....).
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2008 at 1:58am
YOu have free will. YOu can do whatever you want to do. Preventative measures can be taken to rid you of this worry. However, that is a client-related issue. You see, I do not know you - or your particular situaton. That would require involvement, and that is really the only way I can reassure you in any way.

Best of luck.

solvestudentdebt.com
anamtark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anamtark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2008 at 5:10pm
Thanks Johnny for your quick response. I have one more question regarding this matter. Since I would be out of Canada I am going to be considered as non-resident and I don't have to file tax return for Canada. So if I don't want to let the collection agency know about my foreign employer address and phone number, how can they contact them to ask about me? I mean, can I refuse to give foreign employers name to collection agency?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2008 at 1:34pm
This wll answer your questions:

Do they contact them? Yes.

Can they contact them? Yes, but only to verify that you are employed there, and ask to speak with you if you are available. THey can also leave messages for you.

Why do collectors call foreign employers? To get you on the phone and get you to pay them money.

Will they call your employer? That depends on whether or not they find out who it is.

What are the consequences? They may try to provoke you by saying more to them than they are supposed to in the event that you are unavailable, to get you on the phone.

Are they allowed to say more than what they are supposed to? As long as they do not disclose personal informaton about you or your indebtedness. Collectors are creative in ther approach towards people who owe money.

solvestudentdebt.com
anamtark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anamtark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2008 at 5:18am
After 2.5 years without getting even a part time jobs in my field, I have decided to go in south east asian countries where at I am being offered jobs with moderate salary. Since I have student loan outstanding and since it would not be possible to pay back those loan from abroad with that moderate salary my student loan might go to collection agency. I am concerned that whether that collection agency would contact my foreign employer which would be very embarrassing for me and would create problem keeping my job with that employer.
Anybody have idea/suggession about the possibility of collection agency contacting there and the future consequeces?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/August/2008 at 6:47am
They can if they really want to.

solvestudentdebt.com
DaveH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/August/2008 at 3:27am
What about a collection agency refusing to accept personal cheques?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2008 at 1:39am
1.A lot of collectors do not really do what they are told by debtors, unfortunately. If you have someone representing you, it would be more effective.

2. Harrassment is considered excessive communications by telephone (or in person). Phoning you once a day is not harrassment. However, it may be against the rules that govern their organization. You should chck the collection agencies' act in your province. it is outlined there.

Those telephone numbers you have cited are telephone numbers that are outbound only, and you cannot call in. Many collection agencies use what is called a predictive dialer, which is set up to dial out in periodic campaigns. ZTelephone numbers that are outbound usually reflect what you see on your call display.  

solvestudentdebt.com
SweetTreat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetTreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/March/2008 at 3:04pm
I actually have a few quick questions, but would first like to say that I've learned alot of information from reading through this forum. I should also say that I live in Ontario, Canada.

Firstly, I have a few collection agencies after me for debts that I rightly owe and have never denied that. I unfortunately can be very stubborn by nature and when they continuously harass me by calling every hour on the hour, or are extremely rude to me on the phone, I try to ignore them.

I've had them send fake letters from collectors masking as lawyers demanding my debt be repaid immediately or a lawsuit will follow (btw these letters were sent about 3 years ago and no lawsuit has ever come my way) I've had the old line of "well you can borrow it from someone, can't you? If you don't we'll escalate it", conversation more times than I can count. So my 2 questions are this:

1. If I speak to a collection agency on the phone and ask them not to call me again, and that any correspondence they wish to do with me be via postal mail, do they have to abide by this?

2. What constitutes as harassment for phone calls? I have call display for a reason and I'm getting the following numbers show on my call display:

416 (That's it, nothing else)
555-555-5555
123-456-7890
000 -000- 000

These are obviously not real phone numbers so I let the answering machine get it. 9 times out of 10 they don't leave a message, or a message of "call this number with this file # and speak to someone, not claiming who they are. The calls range from 6:30 in the morning till about 9:30 at night. Isn't there a law that a company needs to identify themselves not only on your call display but also by leaving a detailed voicemail?

If anyone could help I'd appreciate it. Thanks alot!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>