This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDealing with collection agencies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Lastride View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lastride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/June/2005 at 6:18pm
Any help here would be greatly appreciated. thank you
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/June/2005 at 2:35pm

If your debt is statute barred and you acknowledge the debt after the fact, then it can survive the limitations that were once restricting the lender (or it's third=party handler) from recovering the money owed.

Making a payment, even a $1 payment will constitute as an acknowledgment.

Lastly, I didn't think Hoover or Kirby were in the loop for administering student loans(?).

The transaction at TCC that you have described is called a Conditional Sales Contract. That is how this type of plan works as desribed. If the goods were still fairly new - and there was a problem with the merchandise, then they could heave ben returned and refunded to ammend the CSC.

I dunno, dude. TCC does not fear lawyers. If you owe them money, they play hard and mean on the field. They will sack the quarerback - and then go after his family. This is a high-risk finance company you are talking about here.

A lawyer telling anyone to avoid a financial obligation speaks a thousand words also. The last time I heard lawyers are required to walk within the boundaries of the law and not aid and abet people to do the wrong things.

Johnny

www.cfwgroup.ca

www.cfwgroup.ca/forum

Lastride View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lastride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/June/2005 at 4:24pm

Posted: 13/June/2005 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Report Post Quote Johnny

If your debt is statute barred and you acknowledge the debt after the fact, then it can survive the limitations that were once restricting the lender (or it's third=party handler) from recovering the money owed.

Making a payment, even a $1 payment will constitute as an acknowledgment

So in plain English please :) Should I acknowledge it or not?
Lastride View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lastride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/June/2005 at 4:25pm

Oops, that didnt work ;)

Was trying to quote Johnny and I failed. Still need the question answered though. Thanks

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/June/2005 at 3:47pm

You asked, "Should I acknowledge it or not?".

That is not something anyone can answer for you.

If you want me to give you advice, you have to be a client. I want to see what you are dealing with and make the proper assessment to determine what course of action you should take.

I will make a suggestion. Do the right thing. Become aware, and act based on what that awareness teaches you.  

Johnny

www.cfwgroup.ca

www.cfwgroup.ca/forum

copperfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copperfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2005 at 12:25am
I have questions about these collection agency rules.

- where the debtor is an employee, contact the debtor by telephone, mail or in person at the debtor's place of employment;
- contact the employer of the debtor without the debtor's consent;
- its illegal for them to have you get another loan to pay off your debt.

I just recently had a collection agency call my boss at work to get a hold of me.  Now I'm pretty sure that it is illegal for them to do so.  They called my boss 3 times yesterday and I never gave them his number.  They called employee services and someone their gave them my bosses number.  And they are currently pushing me to get a high risk loan to pay off my debt with them.

What I'm asking is that if those rules are an actual law.  I was wondering if any one knew was act and subsection to find the law that says a collection agency cannot make you get another loan to payoff your debt and if they cannot call you at work.  I would like to make a formal complaint to HRDC about this company but I want to support my complaint with the laws that they broke.  Or is HRDC aware of the law concerning collection and will act against them as I do not want this to be brushed off.

I live in ontario, I saw the Alberta rules but I don't think it will apply to an ontario resident.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2005 at 4:07am

Frog,

Quote:

"- where the debtor is an employee, contact the debtor by telephone, mail or in person at the debtor's place of employment;
- contact the employer of the debtor without the debtor's consent;
- its illegal for them to have you get another loan to pay off your debt."

These items you have described are actually fragments of certain prohibitions outlined in each provincial CAA.

1. Some provinces do allow communications to debtors at while at their place of employment. Others do not. Others will allow it only under specific conditions.

2. No collector can disclose your personal financial information with ANYONE else unless expressed written consent has been given by you.

A collector can call anyone they please. They are just not allowed to disclose your business and financial data. If a collector calls your employer just to rap about life and shoot the breeze for whichever freaky reason that makes absolutely no sense, then so be it. What can you do? Nothing.

3. It is not illegal for a debt collector to ask (or even demand in some cases) that you to refinance or consolidate in order to pay off the bad debt. However, It is illegal for a collector to threaten personal/physical harm or injury if you do not pay the debt in full. It is also illegal when a collector acts in total disregard to the privacy act and PIPEDA, or the criminal act in Canada.

If a collector threatens legal action, then there must be an intent followed by the action. If they do not sue, then so be it. You can complain about the threat but who is really going to listen? The provincial ministries in Canada are flooded with complaints that end up washed and dried without incident.  

It is the most common tool of their trade. A collector is required to say that they can or will "recommend" legal action" be taken against you if you do not comply with the terms of the original agreement, and if it is determined that you can pay more than what you are offering.

You asked:

"What I'm asking is that if those rules are an actual law."

What you have described in the opening of your post are fragments  of an act that governs collection agencies (CAA). The act describes prohibited colelction activity and behavior(s). So, when someone is caught breaking these rules, the perpetrating collector(s) are usually reprimanded and placed on supervision, or removed from the business, depending on "how serious" the complaint is/was.

Now, if this were the law being broken, more serious consequences would be delivered down the pipe. I have never seen a collector incarcerated for breaking the rules outlined in the CAA.

Lastly, if they are calling your boss and asking for you, this is a typical fear installation tactic - and it is very effective. They cannot disclose your personal stuff to your boss, however. If they are calling and leaving dead-end messages, they are walking on that fine line that seperates following the rules and breaking them. Colelctors are also professionals at this.

If your debt is a Canada Student Loan, then the colelctor is not allowed to "ask" or "recommend" that you borrow from a loan shark or a high risk lending institution. Nor are they permitted to direct you to borrow from one of these pay-day loan joints.

If you want help, I am willing to protect you and solve this for ya.

Johnny

www.cfwgroup.ca

www.cfwgorup.ca/forum

CBCL_Sucks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBCL_Sucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/June/2005 at 2:57pm

Originally posted by copperfrog copperfrog wrote:

What I'm asking is that if those rules are an actual law.  I was wondering if any one knew was act and subsection to find the law that says a collection agency cannot make you get another loan to payoff your debt and if they cannot call you at work.  I would like to make a formal complaint to HRDC about this company but I want to support my complaint with the laws that they broke.  Or is HRDC aware of the law concerning collection and will act against them as I do not want this to be brushed off.

I live in ontario, I saw the Alberta rules but I don't think it will apply to an ontario resident.

Hope this help Copperfrog... it's for Ontario

Originally posted by <strong>Collection Agencies Act - R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 74 Collection Agencies Act - R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 74 wrote:

Prohibited Practices and Methods in the Collection of Debts

19.2 In sections 20 and 21,

"spouse" means,

(a) a spouse as defined in section 1 of the Family Law Act , or

(b) either of two persons who live together in a conjugal relationship outside marriage. O. Reg. 42/00, s. 1; O. Reg. 299/05, s. 2.

20. No collection agency or collector shall,

(a) attempt to collect payment of a debt from a debtor unless the collection agency or the collector has notified or has attempted to notify the debtor in writing by letter addressed to the debtor's last known address that the collection agency or collector has been engaged by the creditor to act in respect of the collection of the debt;

(b) commence a legal proceeding with respect to the collection of a debt, or recommend to a creditor that a legal proceeding be commenced with respect to the collection of a debt, unless the collection agency or collector first gives notice to the debtor that the collection agency or the collector intends to commence the proceeding or recommend that a proceeding be commenced, as the case may be;

(c) directly or indirectly threaten or state an intention to proceed with any action for which the collection agency or the collector does not have lawful authority;

(d) make telephone calls or personal calls of such nature or with such frequency as to constitute harassment of the debtor, his or her spouse or any member of the debtor's family or household;

(e) make a telephone call or personal call for the purpose of demanding payment of a debt,

(i) on a Sunday, or

(ii) on a statutory holiday,

or on any other day except between the hours of 7 o'clock in the forenoon and 9 o'clock in the afternoon;

(f) give any person, directly or indirectly, by implication or otherwise, any false or misleading information that may be detrimental to a debtor, his or her spouse or any member of the debtor's family;

(g) make a demand by telephone, by personal call or by writing for payment of a debt without indicating the name of the creditor, the balance of the moneys owing and the identity and authority of the person making the demand;

(h) where a person has informed the collection agency or the collector that the person is not in fact the debtor, continue to communicate with that person in respect of the collection of the debt unless the collection agency or the collector first takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that the person is in fact the debtor;

(i) commence or continue a court action in the name of the collection agency or collector for the recovery of the debt of a client unless the debt has been assigned to the collection agency or collector, as the case may be, in good faith by instrument in writing for valuable consideration and notice of such assignment has been given to the debtor; or

(j) commence a court action for the collection of the debt of a client in the name of the client unless the collection agency or collector has received express written authority from the client to commence such action. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 74, s. 20; O. Reg. 42/00, s. 2; O. Reg. 299/05, s. 3.

21. Except for the purpose of obtaining the debtor's address or telephone number, no collection agency or collector shall contact a debtor's employer, spouse, relatives, neighbours or friends unless,

(a) the person contacted has guaranteed to pay the debt and is being contacted in respect of such guarantee;

(b) the person contacted is the employer of the debtor and the collection agency or collector is contacting the employer in respect of payments pursuant to a wage assignment or an order or judgment made by a court in favour of the collection agency or of a creditor who is a client of the collection agency; or

(c) the person contacted is the employer of the debtor and the collection agency or collector is contacting the employer for the purpose of verifying the employment of the debtor. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 74, s. 21; O. Reg. 42/00, s. 3; O. Reg. 299/05, s. 4.

Full document can be found here

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca:81/ISYSquery/IRLF1BA.tmp/1/doc

copperfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copperfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/August/2005 at 3:33am
Thanks a lot for your help in this matter
bruticus75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruticus75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/September/2006 at 12:30am
Originally posted by AmyR AmyR wrote:

Originally posted by melistress melistress wrote:

Hi guys!

Well, I had had enough and of course the student debt is in fact legitimate so to deal with my husband's collectors we did the following:

WITHOUT filling out any income report of any kind we managed to talk to the first available agent and get an address (which they wouldn't even give us before) and a file number (also not given to us) as well as who the cheques could be written to.  They had been demanding the whole amount (same song and dance as everyone else) and they threatened to sue us on a daily basis.  Anywho, we sent them a letter telling them that they are no longer to call us or to insist on getting loans from elsewhere and that enclosed are several post dated cheques.  We told them also, that the deposit of these cheques would indicate acceptance of these terms.  We then made out cheques in an amount we could afford (our amount...not theirs) and sent it to them registered mail. 

We haven't heard from them since and the cheques are being cashed.  Just a suggestion for people who are acknowledging the debt.

I'm curious what percentage of payments would this be good for? Are you still trying to pay this loan off as fast as possible? Should I be giving more or less monthly now that my account is with collections?
Buff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/September/2006 at 5:51am
Remember that the sooner this is paid off, the sooner it falls off your credit reports. My payments are slightly higher now than they were before my loans went to collection ($175 vs $130). My current job also pays slightly more than the job I had a few years ago, so it's not a big deal for me to pay a bit more.

Give them whatever you can, but pay for life's necessities first. Don't make yourself suffer just to pay them off.

Buff
daanki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daanki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/September/2006 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Booya Booya wrote:

Note: it is also illegal for collection agencies to impersonate another organization, or to suggest that you borrow money from some other source to pay the debt.

Hi there,

Can you please tell me your source on this information. I have a collector that has suggested I borrow from family. This is a non SL however, but I'm wondering if this is a provincial licensing rule or an HRDC rule. I'm in Alberta if that matters.

Booya

digster123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digster123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2006 at 6:29am

Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone out there can help me. I've read through the forums and I seem to get conflicting information. I'd really like to know what my rights are in regards to collection agencies. And can they take any type of action against you? So just a low down. I have a CSL that went to a collection agency. I had gone bankrupt years ago so I wasn't bothered for a while. Now rightly so I should start making payments and want to. The only thing in dispute is the amount. So when they started contacting me they wanted a financial questionnaire filled out because I couldn't make the 3 % payments. They didn't want to accept any payment other than 3 % until I filled out the forms. So I complied. As I have been self employed for the last 6 months. I spend a lot of time filling out the forms forecasting my income and expenses based on my previous six months track record. Each time I fill the forms they say the information isn't enough. Next they wanted proof of income. Which is really hard when your self employed because I'm not an accountant and don't exactly know how much taxes I will have to pay, what I can and can't write off etc until the end of the year. I put aside 40% of my gross income to be safe that I have enough at tax time and hopefully I won't owe revenue canada that amount. Then they wanted proof of wife’s income. Then proof that I was making payments on my credit card and proof my wife was paying of her own personal loan. I submitted those. When I submitted my income proof. It had gone up slightly since I filled out my original questionnaire which was done 2 months previous. They said I was misleading them. I said I was being honest where I am at today as my income changes up and down depending on my business and expenses and I don't appreciate the suggestion of anything otherwise as my goal is to start payment of this debt. After that call I had mailed a letter that I wanted all future communication documented so I would no longer respond to phone calls and they could mail me. As there phone calls and information requests are taking significant time away from me building my business and therefore my ability to pay you. I then mailed out six post dated checks which where based on my ability to pay with the info I Had sent them (which I felt was more than acceptable). They have cashed the checks but sent a letter a letter saying I need to make up the balance to 3 % and send them household expenses(I've already sent the them rent receipts - what do they want grocery receipts? who the hell keeps those) and previous income tax returns for the last 3 years. My income was diddly squat the last 3 years it would probably help my case but why do they need this? Revenue Canada knows this info.

I haven't responded yet to there last letter. Do they have the right to keep requesting personal information? I filled out the questionnaires they wanted previously and every time I give them info they keep wanting more. At what point does it end? I don't want to keep providing them with personal info without knowing my rights. I have spent precious hours, days, weekends collecting and calculating info. This is getting ridiculous. And it is affecting my business. And therefore my income.

Am I obligated legally to keep providing personal info?

Can they take legal action against me if I don't?

Can they request my spouse’s info?

Can they Check your Credit without your permission they did 2 hits on my credit report in a one week period?

Just Because you can't pay the 3% can't they accept a lower payment plan that is resonable without demanding more personal information. A financial questionarre is one thing but when does it end?

I called Canada Student Loan Department and they said that the collection agency  can't sue me. But It sounded like I was talking to someone that didn't really know. They also said that they should accept lower payments because what I could offer would pay of my debt in 5 years. And that would have been more than acceptable with the CSL department. Considering some loans can be payed out over a 10 year period. Is this a loan with the Mafia or the government? Somebody please tell me.

What do I do from here? I don't even feel like paying them more because they are pissing me off so much.

PS. I also recently got a letter in the mail with no return info of who it is from just a note that I should call a 1-888-number in regards to an urgent matter. I know it is from them? Should I respond if they can’t even say who it is from? Is this another fear tactic?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2006 at 7:35am
It is not illegal for a collector to suggest that you borrow money to consolidate a debt. The CSLP forbids the action of a collector demanding that of a student loan client IF it will cause the client discomfort and hardhsip of any kind.

It is against the laws that govrn collectors and agences to impersonate anyone or any organization other than who they really are, and the agency they work for. This is written in each Provincial Collection Agencies' Act. It is a universal rule that applies to every agency in Canada, and even the USA.

Johnny

www.cfwgroup.ca[/URL]
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Debt_Fighter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debt_Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2006 at 12:21pm

I am so glad I found this website, honestly I thought I was alone with this problem, I had no idea how many people out there are going through the same thing.  I was very inexperienced with the whole system, and waited for someone to send me something or to call me so I could pay back my loan, the Ontario portion went into default, to....Equifax.....I was brutally harassed, screamed at, and this is while I was paying monthly payments on time. I made the mistake of asking them to leave me alone because I had just had a baby, not good, they used this as an opportunity to call me more often and later at night to upset me. When I told them I was paying, they said they didn't care, and to pay it all in full right now. Unbelievable. They called me two or three times everyday, asking me the names of my children, etc. (While I'm paying!) I tried being nice, hanging up, swearing, you name it, they would just pass me off to the next one. They would threaten to not cash my cheques (does this make any sense to you?) A couple of different months they did refuse to cash a cheque until the next month, and my interest is at 9% so I guess it's a little extra for them. Finally 9 months ago, I wrote a letter and told them I am recording all future phone calls, that was it.......no more calls. It is a nightmare, but I do have hope that one day I will have good credit......at least I'm not alone......Christy

persecuted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote persecuted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2006 at 7:32pm
Collection agencies break every law in the book, they scream and yell and bully people every way they can. Dont be fooled by any of the softer comments about them here. They are all a pack of lunatic abusive savages, as I have found from a certain Allied Credit Co. I have experienced years of this, while struggling with years of unemployment, and underemployment, having a situation that has never been dependable enough and never stable enough to make payments. I have  been homeless, I have been treated for depression. I have moved around endlessly. My life is indefinitely in limbo.

The truth is there is noone who oversees the daily conduct of psychotic collection agents. And if they break the law in dealing with you, than you owe them nothing. The plain fact is that the Government of Canada is paying these companies to harrass and persecute every student loan debtor they can. How many thousands upon thousands upon thousands of people are there in Canada in this situation? The pain and suffering visited upon them is surely greater, in real dollars, than the amounts owed. It is time for the government to admit fault in its role in debt collections and forefit all that is due to them, and leave all of us alone. 

I would like to remain anonymous.
steve88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/December/2006 at 3:54pm

Found your forum...wish I had found it sooner.

I am currently dealing with NCO in Edmonton with regards to my student loans.  I have been paying $86 every two weeks (helps me better manage my paycheque every 2 weeks).  The account started around 2400, and I have been making arrangements with them for a year now. 

I guess I have made the mistake in that I allow them to take out the money from my account electronically.  I guess I'm just to lazy to write and mail cheques.  I've also given them "my" financial questionnaire.  Actually, I've just made up numbers telling them I make this, and have to pay this and that, usually leaving me with about an extra $100 per month for debt payments.  So they called me a couple of weeks ago and asked me to do another questionnaire, which I did again (with my made up numbers), and told me that my balance is $800.  I said that's fine, just continue with my bi-weekly payments.  That will bring it down to zero in about 6-7 months (counting interest).  They said they have been informed by their client to collect the whole amount.  Their client I assume is the Alberta Government.  I told them that I've been making payments faithfully for the last year.  I have not missed a payment, nor had one returned NSF.  There should be no reason for anyone demanding that I pay the amount in full now.  I told them again, I just want to continue the way I have for the last year.  Keep in mind that this is the first agent there I have dealt with that was actually demanding.  Everyone else has been pretty nice, which is really surprising.  Anyways, he said he would check and get back to me the next day.  2 weeks later and still no contact. So I start thinking, maybe they'll ignore me for a month, then call me one day telling me that I've missed 2 payments, and now they can claim the full amount from me.  So the scheduled day in which the payment is supposed to be taken from my account (of note, they have never taken more than the agreed upon amount from my account) comes and goes with out a call nor any amount debited.  So it begins my nightmare.  Anyone have this happen with them?  I just left a message with their office, and will try again Monday.  I have gotten my life back together by dealing with them in a neat manner (I declared bankruptcy a couple of years ago, as my non student debt had finally caught up to me). Now I am debt free, except for the student stuff, living on a break even or positive cash budget.  I don't want this crap coming back and making my life crap again.  Any one have any advice?

Thanks!

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/December/2006 at 4:11am
I've seen this around this time of year... they try to force extra payments out of you so they can make their year end numbers look good and get a xmas bonus...

Mark
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
Aelwyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aelwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/January/2007 at 11:19am
I am currently dealing with NCO in Ontario, and they actually were quite nice!  I never sent them the financial questionnaire, and when I called to make payments the girl said "Is $175 okay?" I told her "I've been dealing with a debilitating illness, and been missing work, but I can swing $100."   And she was okay with that.  I guess I lucked out!

Of course, at this point NCO is NOT acting on behalf of Royal Bank, but they have my whole loan to collect for now.

I'm also dealing with Allied Consultants (International).  They kept calling my apartment (I don't live there anymore---I stay at my boyfriend's place because it is closer to work, and also because of my illness, but my roommate is still at my apartment, and I still pay rent there).  My roommate told them last time to send me a letter (since I haven't received anything), and the person she spoke to was really rude.

So I called them back this evening, and some guy answered the phone.  He said "Royal Bank wants $200 a month".  I told him, my meds cost about that, so no, they won't get that.  Then it clicked--The Royal Bank?  So it wasn't actually in collections yet?

So I said to him "Oh--you're acting on behalf of Royal Bank?  Well, I'll just wait until it goes fully into collections then, since I'm finding NCO easier to work with."

The guy yells "Well don't waste my time then!" and slams the phone down.

LOL.  I love toying with them.
fedupmammaof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fedupmammaof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2007 at 1:39am
Hello everyone,
I am new to this site and have been reading diligently through all of the posts. I currently am dealing with NCO over both mine and my husbands Student Loans. We are both in our late 20's and have been making small payments to both accounts since they were sent to the collection agency. They call at least twice a week for both of us, we get all the regular harrassment telling us to get loans from somewhere else, borrow the money from family etc. I do have several questions though,
1. Am I under any kind of obligation to fill out their ridiculous financial questionairres?
2. I am in NB, is it legal for them to contact me after 9PM at night? If not what do I do about it?
3. Many times they have offered me settlement  offers, however  different agents give me different amounts. Do they get paid commisions on what they collect? Is this what drives them to be such jerks? What is a good settlement offer? Do they have some kind of formula for calculating these offers?
Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>