This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDealing with collection agencies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Casey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/February/2007 at 10:10pm

1. Am I under any kind of obligation to fill out their ridiculous financial questionairres?

Yes it is a requirement.. fill them out and send them in. It can  save you lots of problems later. Failure to comply is reason to have you labeled as uncooperative and give grounds to take legal action against you.

I know..
from experience, I kept throwing the darn form in the trash. the prize was court and a judgment against me.

Do what I should have done,  fill the forms out and always pay at least $1 per month to show good faith, you are trying to cooperate as best you can.

2. I am in NB, is it legal for them to contact me after 9PM at night?

Check your provincial law on this.

3. Many times they have offered me settlement  offers, however  different agents give me different amounts. Do they get paid commisions on what they collect? Is this what drives them to be such jerks? What is a good settlement offer? Do they have some kind of formula for calculating these offers?

Many time the offers are just part of the game, likely not even valid. Yes, they get paid on commission and do anything they can to try to get you to give then money. Depending on who the money is owed to, there may not even be a possibility of a settlement. That wouldn't stop a collector from offering you one... but... beware if you fall for the offer, don't be surprised when they come back to collect the balance..  Its a dirty game and collectors can not be trusted to tell you the truth!

Read the older posts on the site, you will find a lot of excellent information. If you can afford the fees, you can get Johnny to help you make the whole process easier to handle..

Casey . .  Never give up!

"With self education, lots of patience and  persistence you can survive your student loans and fix the problems!"

Sponsored Links

Tired Senior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tired Senior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/February/2007 at 12:04pm
Good News from the Yukon!  Big%20smile My social worker and I took a really good look at monthly statement that HRDSC supposedly sent to meIt seems that NCO tried to pull a fast one on me only they messed up when they left their address on a document that at first glance you would think that was a legitimate government document. It had the government stamp, etc., but it was from their office in Edmonton.

I found out that my social worker's daughter had a similar situation and we started to compare notes.  Apparently, collection agencies are up to some really nasty tricks, all illegal.  She told me that they are notoriously masquerading as government employees and are extremely abusive.  Don't we know that?  She also had the same attitude as Casey, "Let them take you to court".  They wouldn't risk exposing themselves.

Now, this advice was coming from a social worker with the Yukon government.  She told me to get over to Larry Bagnell's office and report this situation as soon as I could.  Ironically,  just this morning I had completed a documented history of this loan and my woes with NCO
.Cry  He's our MP and I was already planning on seeing him this week sometime.  She also advised me to change my number.

That really made my day!  I was right about them being crooks, and they have been breaking the law.  They had no business coming after me on this loan, and I am going to let Larry handle it.
We were in agreement that my loan was statute barred and this was a case of senior abuse, if not the disabled.

Canada Winter Games and Rendevouz celebrations are about to start up here, and I have ton of stress of my back.

I'll check in once in awhile and if I can help anyone just ask.

Burnt out in the Yukon
pitifulme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitifulme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 7:15am
HI There!

I have been browsing on this site for months now and I have to say you people are my Rock and I've managed to stay afloat and sane just by what you are all experiencing and the fact that I'm not alone in these troubled times with collection agencies. They managed to get me so frustrated that I suffered a mild heart attack at the age of 35. Now my health comes first I give them what I can they can say whatever they want. If you guys have some light for me to keep me from going crazy I'd really appreciate it..Love you guys and good luck!!!!

pitifulme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitifulme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 7:18am

I also deal with NCO and they also send me statements that says HRDC on it and their phone numbers are in Quebec. I'm in Ontario and I know they have a headoffice in Alberta. If this is illigal then they are playing with the Governement and what they are doing is fraudulent. So far I received 2 of those statements.

PoorolME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PoorolME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/August/2007 at 5:33am
Wanna stay sane when being harrassed by the collection agents (or the souless, as I like to think of them)? When they call, just start telling them what's going on in whatever show you happen to be watching! It works even better if it's a comedy and just talk right over top of them "..and now Kramer just came in thorugh Jerry's door! Man, that guy is funny...you should see the look Jerry is giving him. Oh no! Here comes Newman..."
reyduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reyduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/August/2007 at 2:38pm
Awesome forum, love it!!!

My daughter called me tonight, she is getting calls from Anthony # 4144 of Allied Consultants he is a "senior collector"........a unique person indeed, tried to speak with him, he talked over me, bad mistake for the little "squirm", I guess I said something to him...for .....he hung up aweeeee! Well I left lots of messages at Allied, 1 888 397 0876 in Toronto, anyone else had dealings with him...love to know more about him and his business practices, a concerned Dad.
super View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/September/2007 at 6:52am
My husband and I have been paying ur scotia loans with BC Orderly Payments of Debt (debtor Assistance Program) for the last 7 years.  We have a court order.  We have been receiving harrassing calls for the last month from a collection agency for the accounts we have been paying (and still are paying).  Although we keep on telling them that we are not delinquant and to contact the debtor assistance Program, they are shouting at us over the phone and have even spoke to our 9 years old son to get more information about our work place.  What should we do to stop that?
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/September/2007 at 9:28am
Write them a letter and tell them that you are currently involved in the proceedings of bankruptcy, and they are not permitted to contact you. Simply tell them to contact their client (Scotiabank) as the OPD order would have gone to them.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Broke4Life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broke4Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/October/2007 at 3:23am

I was talking to a creditor today and she started to say that I had to get a loan from my parents or sister to pay off the loan I had with scotia bank.  This loan was through CSL, the risk part went to one creditor and the guaranteed part to another creditor.  I asked her is this CSL.. and she was saying this was not CSL, this is scotia bank loan has nothing to do with CSL, the CSL is a different part.  My question is, since this scotia loan was applied through CSL, does it still follow the rule of them not asking/requiring me to get a loan from another source to pay it off?

I did try to record the conversation, but I had recorder problems.  I did try to keep her on the phone though as long as I could.. being nice to her, but taking up all her time hehehe.  Close to an hour.. We know how they love that.  i was going to call her back to ask more uestions, but she seemed nice, so I gave her a break.

Thanks,
Broke4Life

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/October/2007 at 2:43am
CSL and Scotiabank student loans are just that - student loans. However,the directives issued by the govenrment of Canada to third-party PCAs regarding the do's and dont's of collecting guaranteed Canada student loan accounts do not apply to Scotiabank. The provincial rules would apply.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Broke4Life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broke4Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/October/2007 at 7:28am

Well for me when I went to school, CIBC took care of the provincial portion and Scotiabank/Hrdc took care of the Federal portion.

For example I made an application to CSL/NSL and I had a total of about 25,000 for federal (which after bankruptcy the risk/guaranteed portion was split between scotiabank and HRDC)  So since the scotiabank was a federal CSL loan, I don't see why it doesnt follow the CSL loan guidelines for collection.  I applied to CSL, not to scotiabank.  I understand if I went in seperate from CSL and applied to scotiabank (As I did with TD) it would not follow the rules.

Back in the late 90's loans were handled differently as well. 

Does this make any difference?

Thanks
Broke4Life
SweetTreat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetTreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/March/2008 at 3:04pm
I actually have a few quick questions, but would first like to say that I've learned alot of information from reading through this forum. I should also say that I live in Ontario, Canada.

Firstly, I have a few collection agencies after me for debts that I rightly owe and have never denied that. I unfortunately can be very stubborn by nature and when they continuously harass me by calling every hour on the hour, or are extremely rude to me on the phone, I try to ignore them.

I've had them send fake letters from collectors masking as lawyers demanding my debt be repaid immediately or a lawsuit will follow (btw these letters were sent about 3 years ago and no lawsuit has ever come my way) I've had the old line of "well you can borrow it from someone, can't you? If you don't we'll escalate it", conversation more times than I can count. So my 2 questions are this:

1. If I speak to a collection agency on the phone and ask them not to call me again, and that any correspondence they wish to do with me be via postal mail, do they have to abide by this?

2. What constitutes as harassment for phone calls? I have call display for a reason and I'm getting the following numbers show on my call display:

416 (That's it, nothing else)
555-555-5555
123-456-7890
000 -000- 000

These are obviously not real phone numbers so I let the answering machine get it. 9 times out of 10 they don't leave a message, or a message of "call this number with this file # and speak to someone, not claiming who they are. The calls range from 6:30 in the morning till about 9:30 at night. Isn't there a law that a company needs to identify themselves not only on your call display but also by leaving a detailed voicemail?

If anyone could help I'd appreciate it. Thanks alot!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2008 at 1:39am
1.A lot of collectors do not really do what they are told by debtors, unfortunately. If you have someone representing you, it would be more effective.

2. Harrassment is considered excessive communications by telephone (or in person). Phoning you once a day is not harrassment. However, it may be against the rules that govern their organization. You should chck the collection agencies' act in your province. it is outlined there.

Those telephone numbers you have cited are telephone numbers that are outbound only, and you cannot call in. Many collection agencies use what is called a predictive dialer, which is set up to dial out in periodic campaigns. ZTelephone numbers that are outbound usually reflect what you see on your call display.  

solvestudentdebt.com
DaveH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/August/2008 at 3:27am
What about a collection agency refusing to accept personal cheques?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/August/2008 at 6:47am
They can if they really want to.

solvestudentdebt.com
anamtark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anamtark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2008 at 5:18am
After 2.5 years without getting even a part time jobs in my field, I have decided to go in south east asian countries where at I am being offered jobs with moderate salary. Since I have student loan outstanding and since it would not be possible to pay back those loan from abroad with that moderate salary my student loan might go to collection agency. I am concerned that whether that collection agency would contact my foreign employer which would be very embarrassing for me and would create problem keeping my job with that employer.
Anybody have idea/suggession about the possibility of collection agency contacting there and the future consequeces?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2008 at 1:34pm
This wll answer your questions:

Do they contact them? Yes.

Can they contact them? Yes, but only to verify that you are employed there, and ask to speak with you if you are available. THey can also leave messages for you.

Why do collectors call foreign employers? To get you on the phone and get you to pay them money.

Will they call your employer? That depends on whether or not they find out who it is.

What are the consequences? They may try to provoke you by saying more to them than they are supposed to in the event that you are unavailable, to get you on the phone.

Are they allowed to say more than what they are supposed to? As long as they do not disclose personal informaton about you or your indebtedness. Collectors are creative in ther approach towards people who owe money.

solvestudentdebt.com
anamtark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anamtark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2008 at 5:10pm
Thanks Johnny for your quick response. I have one more question regarding this matter. Since I would be out of Canada I am going to be considered as non-resident and I don't have to file tax return for Canada. So if I don't want to let the collection agency know about my foreign employer address and phone number, how can they contact them to ask about me? I mean, can I refuse to give foreign employers name to collection agency?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2008 at 1:58am
YOu have free will. YOu can do whatever you want to do. Preventative measures can be taken to rid you of this worry. However, that is a client-related issue. You see, I do not know you - or your particular situaton. That would require involvement, and that is really the only way I can reassure you in any way.

Best of luck.

solvestudentdebt.com
Madmorrigan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madmorrigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2008 at 4:37am
"Since I would be out of Canada I am going to be considered as non-resident and I don't have to file tax return for Canada"

I wouldn't be too sure about that--my brother has lived in Asia on and off for almost 10 years and he still has to file (he doesn't, but that's not the point....).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>