This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIF NSLC lost forms and defaulted you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
CARGO1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARGO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/January/2005 at 7:56pm

thanks Misty,

Welcome to the forum, Your input is appreciated.

Troy.

����The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Sponsored Links

polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/January/2005 at 11:46pm

Yeah, my instincts said not to freak on her, Islander. I just recognize the tone of those in "biz" who are looking to pass the buck. She didn't sound like one of those, so I gave her the benefit of the doubt. You know me -- I'm usually the first to pounce!!

I know from experience that not all the CSRs at the NSLC were useless. One in particular really wanted to help...and apparently wasn't allowed. He gave me his name, and told me to call back at a certain date and time and ask for him.

But when I did, the first person said they had never heard of him...then the one I was transferred to said I wasn't allowed to speak to him...then finally I was told that nobody "owned" my file and I that I got who I got.

Personally, some insight into such a botched operation would be enlightening...

Poly

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
trinalynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trinalynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2005 at 6:00am
I have been having the same problems with NSLSC as everyone else on here.  I have looked up information on all the companies that information is being passed to including TriCura Canada.  From what I understand TriCura is owned by Edulinx, who is owned by NelNet Incorporated, an American company.  In turn, I have been vigorously looking into the privacy laws and from what I understand before any personal information is sent to outsourced companies you have to give direct consent first.  I have written to several people who deal with privacy laws and will be contacting a local lawyer to ask some questions to find out if these privacy laws are being broken by NSLSC, I advise everyone to do the same.  Most people I know are just letting their student loans go into collection because TriCura Canada is so difficult to deal with, there has to be something done, these programs are supposed to help not cause so much frustration that people don't even want to bother. 
trinalynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trinalynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2005 at 6:16am
To check out the Privacy laws go to www.canada.gc.ca, then type in privacy acts in the search engine and complete documentation about the privacy laws is available, TriCura is in direct fault when they "lose" information that is being sent to them.  I've called after sending in faxes and they have confirmed receiving the information, when I call back a couple days later to check on the process the information is no longer there and they are requesting it be resent, where does it go?  Check out section 7, Protection of Personal Information.
CARGO1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARGO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2005 at 10:37am

trinalynn,

When you first sign on the dotted line to accept the s/l's you would have signed a credit investigation form, included on this form is a disclosure statement. The disclosure states that the lender is being given permission to use your information to obtain further credit information, as well giving them permission to use and share your information with any or all of it's affiliates.

This does not excuse them from being irresponsible with your personal information. It does absolve them from further legal action for shareing you credit and personal information.

Troy

����The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12