This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSoftware to record phone conversations!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Software to record phone conversations!!!
    Posted: 06/July/2004 at 5:25pm
Modem spy allows you to record telephone conversations through your dial up modem!

http://www.allformp3.com/record-phone-conversation.htm
$24.95 US dollars!

The software will record all phone conversations as well as Caller ID information allowing you to have a crystal-clear record of every conversation from your phone! Great for business use and even the home! It plays back recorded messages on a phone line or sound card, has built-in gain control and displays caller ID information.

Provide me with some files, I'll post them on the site!

Edited by administrator
Sponsored Links

bruticus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2004 at 9:03am
interesting, would you suggest using this while speaking with collection agents? I think my cel phone has this feature aswell.
fedup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2004 at 5:40am

Is it legal to record telephone conversations?

fedup
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2004 at 6:06am
Why the hell not
Is it legal for collection agencies to threaten and lie
in order to get information
Same thing
6273kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6273kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2004 at 11:08am

Fed up...

As far as I know it is not illegal to record a phone conversation as long as one of the two parties engaged in the conversation is aware the recording is happening.

IE...If you know and they don't...its OK

However you can't record a conversation two other people are having, without their consent.

CLEMOH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLEMOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2004 at 3:35pm
This software wont work unless you have a voice modem installed on your PC.  Most contemporary machines are now shipped with fax modems.Cry
dont really care anymore...
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2004 at 6:15pm

It is not illegal to record a call from a nasty person who intends to cause you harm in one form or another.

The real question is "is it admissable in court, or any other legal proceedings?" Megapo would be able to detemrine this rather quickly i would think. This person has a ton (and then some) of such information.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
bruticus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/August/2004 at 12:13am

i read this article and took heed,

my cel phone the Motorola V300 and prolly the newer models allows for recording conversations by simply pressing a button while speaking. I have a solid record of my supposed standings with nordon now.

HappyElf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappyElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2004 at 3:52pm
If you are recording a phone call it is commonly (depending on where you are in the world) required to ask the other person if it is ok with them if you record the conversation. (if they say 'yes' on tape, no problemo) Hence why you hear an aweful lot of those "This call may be recorded and / or monitored for training and quality control purposes..."

If you get that message when you contact your CA then it seems to me that it is already ok for you to record the conversation for your own "training and quality control purposes".

If you don't get that message then ask them politely if it is okay to record the conversation. If they say 'no', then maybe say something polite such as, "thank you for your time" and hang up. Call them back again. remember to ask that question repeatedly with each new person you speak to and remind them that the call is being recorded as often as possible.

As for software that you can use, heck, any voice modem comes with that ability with it's built in software. Under Windows, if you extend your AuxMixer properties (under record) there will be an option right there to un-mute the modem and with any recording software you can record the voice audio of the phone conversation. Provided you are using the phone connected to the modem and the modem is connected to the phone jack. There are also freeware and shareware versions out there. Under Linux you're not so lucky, but the workaround is much more fun.

I used this technique once a few years ago against a spammer, to wit, his 1-800 number was revoked.
MetisRebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetisRebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2004 at 11:55am

I used to be a PI amongst other things.

It is LEGAL as long as one person knows the conversation is being recorded. It probably won't hold up in court unless you warn them so do so!

I tell government agencies all the time that I am recording the phone call. That makes it clear to them that they cannot advise anything unethical or illegal.

Metis Rebel
Amber23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amber23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2004 at 4:26am
can somebody pleeeeease help me find the legislation with regards to telephone calls recording.

I know its in the code somewhere. i had a huge argument with a collector i know
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2004 at 3:32pm

Bugger the collector. You may tape your own telephone calls. Period.

There is no law that PERMITS this, simply because laws are there to prohibit, not to allow.

Tape every conversation you have with a collector. When they get heavy with you play back their greatest hits for them. Then complain to the ministry. Take the offensive.

fytor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fytor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2004 at 3:53pm

I think what should be considered is the nature of the call.  I suspect strongly that if you are going to record a telephone conversation between yourself and an organization for business purposes, there is no problem to record the conversation if they initiate the call to you.  If you call them, you may wish to advise them that the conversation will be recorded to ensure there are no misunderstandings down the road.  By doing this, you are protecting yourself so that it can't be said that you set up the call to be misleading.

Fortunately, the corporation HAS to advise you if they are recording the conversation regardless of who initiate the call AND they have to specify if it's being used for "QUALITY" purposes or for legal record.

However, when you are recording a conversation between yourself and an individual person, I think it's then when you step on privacy laws and should be very cautious as you may be in trouble if shared or found by others.

This is all to the best of my knowledge from dealings with this topic occasionally at my work. (No, I'm not a CA)

"Is this normal" - Agnes MacPhail while addressing the Royal Commission on prisoner mistreatment
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2004 at 4:15pm

There are key words that should be used... they are "for consumer protection" and "personal protection".

This will eliminate liability.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
eshelton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2004 at 7:33pm
If I call them, and they say the call will be recorded, do I have to advise them of the same?  For their recordings, we both acknowledge this, so we're both aware.  It just depends who has the tape.  
6273kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6273kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2004 at 6:09am

The reason that a corporation Has to tell you your call will be recorded is that they are a third party. That would be the same as someone taping your home phone and not letting you know.

When you tape a phone call, or any conversation you have, you do not have to let the other party know.

Having this recording on at all times, will show that you are trying to meet your end of the agreement. It is they who continue to break the laws, by phoning all times of the day or night, at work, yelling etc...

I would also suggest a journal and make it a point to write down each and every call, including the time, date, name of the call, company they are calling on behalf of, and what the conversation was about.

Play this game on an equal playing field so that if you ever have to dispute this you will have all of your facts ready to go.

eshelton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2004 at 5:27pm
A fax modem WILL work with this software.  You can get one at the computer store for $19 and just pop it into your PCI slot.  I'm using AOpen FM56-SVV

http://usa.aopen.com/products/modem/fm56-svv.htm

Software installation of Modem Spy was really quick and it has all these other neat features too. 

Make sure the DSL filter is on before the line enters the modem, then connect your phone to the output on the modem. 
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." - Jean Chretien
collywobbles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collywobbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2004 at 10:09am
This software worked with the fax modem in one of my machines, but not the one in another, so some fax modems are supported but not all.

Also, the audio quality that the software produces is not very crisp.

I eventually went to RadioShack and bought a little gizmo that plugs into my phone line and a tape recorder -- audio is crystal clear.  They have a number of different phone line recording devices available on their website.   I looked around but haven't seen any at other retailers.

Record, record, record!!  It's perfectly legal, you're entirely within your rights, and I hope you catch the **** breaking the law.  This kind of evidence is the only way to make allegations stick.
worldfamous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worldfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2004 at 3:24pm
Can i Install a voice modem and use it with my adsl line?
eshelton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2004 at 3:31pm
Sure.  Just make sure the DSL filter is on the line before it enters the modem, otherwise you will get static.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." - Jean Chretien
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>