This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGrant Overpayments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
leezer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/August/2004 at 3:45pm
Gladly Java Man,
My MP is Bill Siksay, NDP Burnaby Douglas, 4647 Hastings St.,
Burnaby, BC V5C 2K6
email: siksa1a@parl.gc.ca

Incidently, this was Svend Robinsons' previous riding and Bill
was Svends' constituency assistant for 18 years. Bill is active in
anti-poverty and intercultural initiatives. I had very positive
interactions with his office staff.

I am pleased to say that my vote counted this year, and I have
the good fortune of being represented at last by a politician
who listens to the concerns of his constituents.
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/August/2004 at 5:06am

Good riding...always liked Svend.

Voters, take note!

lulu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/September/2004 at 10:00am
I have been harrassed with phone calls over the last 4 months from Total Credit Recovery regarding  a grant overpayment of $550 (the total grant was 800.00).  I went to college 17 years ago!  I kept telling them they were running a scam and that this was nonsense.  They even called me at work.  Today I got something that looked like a bill with the recommendation to pay it within 24 hours or else......Blah, blah, blah.  Let em come after me.  My next move will be a visit to my MP and my lawyer!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/September/2004 at 4:07pm
Don't back down!
dolphin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/September/2004 at 7:19am

In October of 1991 my then husband lost his job.  I was a stay at home mom raising 3 kids.  In February of 1992 I was advised through a computer school that I could apply for a student loan and/or government grant.  I receiver a student loan for about $2,000 and a grant for $3,500.  I finished school in 1992 and repaid my loan over the next 5 years.

In 1994, my husband split and left me with the 3 kids to raise financially on my own.  Shortly after he left, I receiver a letter from the government informing me that after reassessing our returns, I no longer qualified for the grant ($3,500), and that I needed to repay it.

I wrote them a letter outlining my situation and informing them that had I know I would have to repay a loan of $5,500 instead of just $2,000 I would not have accepted the grant.

I never heard another word from them until March of this year, when I received a phone call from a collection agency by the name of ARO (or something like that).  They said that they were calling regarding an outstanding OSAP loan.  I told them that I paid off my loan years ago, and they told me that I needed to repay the $3,500 grant as well.

Ever since, I have been receiving calls at home insisting that I pay.  Last week the calls started at work…a woman by the name of Barbara from the same agency started calling and demanding I pay the money.  I told her that I did not have that kind of money on hand she told me to put it on a credit card, to which I replied I don’t have that kind of limit available.  She then proceeded to tell me I needed to borrow the money from a relative, friend or financial institution and also informed me that she knew that I had good enough credit to qualify for a loan, and even suggested a few financial institutions and gave me the number for Citi Financial.

She told me again on Friday that I needed to borrow the money right away and pay her or else the government will take what ever means they need to collect the money themselves “freeze my bank accounts, garnish my wages etc.”  Those were her exact words, and that I must call her by Monday morning at 10:00 a.m. (today).  I asked her not to call me at work…that I did not conduct my personal business at work.  At about 9:15 a.m. this morning she again called me at work and wanted me to identify myself to her.  When I realized who it was, I just said “I told you already not to call me at work” and hung up the phone on her.

Anyone…please advise on how I should deal with this situation…it’s now interfering with my work.  How do I get rid of these harassing people…do I have any rights in my situation.
khsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/September/2004 at 9:40am
dolphin:

There are lots of us in the same situation in this forum.  Judging from the year of your SL, it is probably statute-barred. 

There are various things you can do...as many people have suggested in the previous posts.  I bought an answering machine and hired a paralegal...problem solved.

If you are not in a position to pay, DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE the debt.  This will nullify the statute of limitation.  I am not sure writing them by yourself is a good idea...you might make mistakes you are not aware of. 

Or you may choose to do nothing...the reality is that there is nothing the CA can do except harrassing you.  CA knows this too.  They know they can't retrieve this money through legal means.  They call you to find out how to push you to pay.  If you tell them you don't want them calling you at work, you can be sure that they will start calling you at work.  Just dug up a weakness from you...why not use it?

Act cool and don't be afraid...good luck.

Edited by khsu
dolphin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/September/2004 at 10:55am

Khsu;

I have followed your story, which seems some what similar to mine, and noticed that Billw shared some information with you via an email.  The name Mr. Khandi was mentioned...did you contact him????  Was himself or anyone else able to help you????  I am interested to know the outcome...please advise.

Dolphin

khsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/September/2004 at 11:46am
dolphin:

Billw has been a great help to me.  We exchanged quite a number of emails so it is difficult to go over them here (you do know that sometimes CA will visit this site too, don't you?).  Basically he referred me to his paralegal who advised me of my legal rights and worked out a way to stop the CA's harrassment. 

As for the outcome...I have not receive any phone call or letter since then...and I suspect that I will see anything in the future. 

To me, as soon as I realized that I owe them nothing, my problem was resolved.  

billw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2004 at 6:00pm

To Hami and Dolphin,

First know your rights, it is illegal for collection agencies to call your work and your cell phone.  If you want I will look up the link later and post it.  All you have to do is tell the person that is calling you that it is illegal and if they do call you will file a formal complaint.

Secondly, do yourself a favour and read my first note, I believe you can find it under "How to deal with ...".  And Dolphin, to answer your question about Vijay, no he is not a nice man, in fact he is a veddy, veddy bad man.  He is however the manager of the Collection Mgmt Unit (of OSAP), if he gives you a hard time, try contacting his boss Kim Dobson.  Also, can be found under my first notes under link.

Get legal advice!  Once a letter has been sent on your behalf, from a paralegal, most of your problems will be solved.

And please read my first note!

catty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2004 at 8:24am

I just wanted to clarify the post about the statute of limitations and old claims.  Section 24 of the SoL deals with old claims.  If the claim was "discovered" before the new act came into effect (Jan 1, 2002)then they get the old 6 years.  If it was discovered after the new act came into effect, then they get 2 years.  Discovered means, in short, the point at which they knew they'd have to sue you to get the money back.   

In any case I have no idea how that applies to OSAP since there appear to be special rules for it. 

-catty-

catty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2004 at 8:28am

I also wanted to mention if you go to www.cbs.gov.on.ca there is a brochure called a consumers guide to collection agencies.  It gives you the quickie version of your rights vis a vis collection agencies. 

-catty- 

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/September/2004 at 7:55pm

Collection agencies are bound by an act, indeed. The problem is when they break the rules and are not held accountable. Truly, do you think collectors can do their jobs effectively by staying within the rules and guidelines? This is why they bend - even break the rules because they feel that fear, stress, anxiety, aggression are the key to motivating a person to pay. It is an adverse psychology in the management of money and accounts receivables.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/September/2004 at 9:36pm

The theory is that abuse is healthy for the collector and his income.

That's because intimidation usually prevents serious complaints. When you have been browbeaten and demoralised and made to feel lower than the rest of the world, you don't believe that you even have the right to complain.

And complaints aren't taken seriously anyway. I've heard ministry officials tell people to just pay their bills and they won't have any problems with collectors.

Once you are on this side of the fence, you have no status in Canadian society and are disenfranchised from any real government protection. You are now marginalised and despised by the people who are paid to protect you.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

You are in the Chateau d'If and no one escapes. Or almost no one. You have to change your way of thinking, forget the old paradigms, but it can be done. Stop spreading your legs.

Just get out...The Count of Monte Christo and I did by the skin of our teeth and we are much older, wiser and a great deal more bitter. But we live well.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/September/2004 at 4:21pm

Theory is theory. The psychopathology is simple. Fear creates urgency - the quick way. The reason debt is in collection is because it is unpaid. The original creditor had done what they could to collect (which I fail to believe) and at this point, it is time to be "not so nice".  Collectors feel that creditors are just "too nice".

Collection agents know they have very little power. They have to make others believe that they are powerful. The only real delivery method of exuding this power is in their phrasing - and ability to sell their spiel.. which is almost always empty rhetoric.

Collectors try everything and anything to capture that control - and motivate a person to their appeal. This is where the problems occur regarding lawlessness, ambiguousness - and their quest to pyschologically tenderize an individual, and instill fear.

Johnny   

Edited by Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/September/2004 at 4:31pm

You're right, Johnny.

The most basic and fundamental rule is this: Make it more uncomfortable for the debtor to OWE the money than to PAY the money.

So if it's extremely painful to pay (i.e. you have to starve or make your children suffer or commit a crime to pay), you must be made to suffer proportionally MORE pain by your contact with the collector.

It is a very traditional method used by all the pros. FromTorquemada to the American soldiers on Iraqi prisoners.

Snap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2004 at 5:27am
I have recently been contacted by Nova about a grant overpayment that I recieved in 1991/1992.  My contact via phone with the two representatives I talked to was not much fun.  My story is that apparently I was wasn't entitled to a grant because I had already attended post secondary school 4 years prior to applying for OSAP.  I didn't need any financial assistance during those 4 years because my parents were supporting me. In 1991/1992 I had a child and got married...which is why my parents weren't supporting me financially. I have paid all my OSAP loans, and I did contact my MPP at the time to appeal that I did indeed deserve the grant that was paid to me.  I assumed it was all taken care of.  Seems that this isn't the case now.  I told the representatives today that I did not owe this money because it was all taken care of back in 1992.  The last thing I told them is that I am not paying.  I'm going to see if the MPP in my new riding can help me out...I'll go pay him a visit tomorrow.  This forum is great...gives me a little shred of hope that I might not have to pay this.
Hami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2004 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by billw billw wrote:

To Hami and Dolphin,

First know your rights, it is illegal for collection agencies to call your work and your cell phone.  If you want I will look up the link later and post it.  All you have to do is tell the person that is calling you that it is illegal and if they do call you will file a formal complaint.

Secondly, do yourself a favour and read my first note, I believe you can find it under "How to deal with ...".  And Dolphin, to answer your question about Vijay, no he is not a nice man, in fact he is a veddy, veddy bad man.  He is however the manager of the Collection Mgmt Unit (of OSAP), if he gives you a hard time, try contacting his boss Kim Dobson.  Also, can be found under my first notes under link.

Get legal advice!  Once a letter has been sent on your behalf, from a paralegal, most of your problems will be solved.

And please read my first note!

Havn't been here in awhile, Bill any more info on agencies calling your workplace would be greatly appreciated.  They havn't called my work since i told them I going to get a restraining order agains't them, but they still call my home every couple of weeks. 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2004 at 3:32am

To the contrary, this person you have named is not a "veddy veddy bad man". In fact, he is one individual that takes matters seriously and is always willing to help in the event something is tossed on his table.

What does "veddy veddy" mean anyway?

solvestudentdebt.com
billw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2004 at 12:33pm

to hami

Get yourself an answering machine and a paralegal.  Seek clarification of your rights under the Canada Student Loans Act.  If you don't believe the Statutes of Limitations Act is 6 years ask a professional.  All first consultations are free, click to the link from my first message and bring it in. 

to Johnny,

"veddy, veddy" - see Seinfeld

In regards to your opinion of vijay, I guess you are on a working (CFW) relationship with this individual.  However, I am on the opposite side of table from this person.  While trying to discuss options I was met with hostility and some anger mgmt issues.  He started to yell and was unprofessional in every manner.  He was trying to lecture me on how he was a representative of the people by the people.  Meanwhile he has no restraint while talking to the people?  You are probably right though; he is "willing to help" as long as it suits his purpose, much like yourself, working for the CFW.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2004 at 1:40pm

Well, you must have really torked him off because he is one of the most open-minded individuals at the MBS.

The statutes of limitations are six years. Refer to Bill C-28 (The new budget implementation act also).

A letter from a paralegal does not solve the problem at all. What does a paralegal or a lawyer do for an individual in a simple letter of direction? Does the debt get paid? Does it get closed? Does it protect someone from litigation even though there may be a viable avenue of execution if the situation warrants it?I think not.

Audio recordings are a good method of exposing bad collection calls, most certainly.

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>