This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGrant Overpayments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2004 at 3:38pm

In fact, to follow up on Johnny's comments, it might encourage a lawsuit.

If an agency has everything they need to sue...information, sufficient balance, avenue of execution, permission or direction from the client, etc., the receipt of a letter from a lawyer or paralegal will often make them choose not to set up a payment arrangement of any sort and simply file the claim. For one thing, you will have effectively closed the door on any negotiations and, as well, they avoid any likelihood of getting sued themselves over bad collection practices. They know that if they are being watched, sooner or later they're bound to step on their dicks.

Use a lawyer (or paralegal) like a loaded weapon. Don't point it at someone unless you're prepared to go all the way.

Sponsored Links

billw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2004 at 12:09pm

To Johnny and Java Man,

I think he was born torked off, but let's drop this one because you and I will not see eye to eye on this one.

I sought a paralegal because all avenues of negoitiations were exhausted.

A para legal will stop the harassing calls as all communications are rooted through you lawyer, and yes I am willing to go the distance.  Do you know why?  Because what they are doing is not right.  Also this issue has not come up in court yet, and in the event it does it will set a precedence.  Hopefully it will not be in vain, but realistically speaking the facts are this;  it was triggered by a OSAP error, they tried to collect 12 years after they caught the fact, they want full payment in 6 months, the statutes of limitations is 6 years and yes they are the do represent the government, I do believe most judges would toss this case as they would consider it a waste of time and taxpayers money.

So who has more to lose? 

billw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2004 at 5:45pm

Yo Java Man,

You are hilarious!  Because you are right on the money!  I was laughing my ass off, mainly because if I had to write about the individual in question in under 30 words or less, I could not have written a better job! 

Thanks for the words of encouragement Java Man!

Islander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2004 at 8:18pm

It looks like the website administrator disagreed with Java and your assessment as I see he has altered the record to reflect a kinder, gentler website.

Seems Big Brother is indeed watching and continues to subscribe to the theory that if you change the historical record, you change history.

What? Me, worry?
Alfred E Newman
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2004 at 4:56am
Although I understand the posts I removed were meant in humour,

I removed posts that
a) were seriously disparaging comments about another person
b) suggested that harming another person was legal

Please note that this site is visited regularly by collection agencies, HRDC, the PM's office among others. (IP addresses tell alot)

Someone could easily have taken the posts the 'wrong way' and this could have had very serious implications for the poster and the site.

Its ok to think these humourous thoughts , but just dont post it :)

Hope you all understand. I'm just trying to play it safe!

Mark
PS: Welcome Islander. hmmm same fonts as Java Man... same writing style...   hmmm either way, welcome!
dazed&confused View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazed&confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2004 at 6:09am

Which were the posts in question?

Mark, are you serious that these people really check us out?  Why on earth don't they DO something???? Although I guess if they are reading this, it's a start, I suppose....

dazed&confused View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazed&confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2004 at 6:34am

BTW, Although Voltaire said it best, we do need to accept responsibility for what we say, anonymous or not.  I should say an apology if any of my posts gave anyone the willies as I didn't know any of them CARED!!!  I really am a pacifist even if my posts (meant in good fun) would allege otherwise.

I have enough government people after me.  I don't need CSIS to join the bandwagon.

eshelton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2004 at 1:46pm
Well I hope the CA's and government are taking hints - we don't like your service. 

If CollectCorp is researching me for the supposed $900 I owe for an Ontario Student Loan, just show me the proof.   I'll gladly pay the whole balance (it's below 6 years).

Edited by eshelton
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." - Jean Chretien
ANNM04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANNM04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/November/2004 at 9:21am

Hi all.  I posted my situation in July (grant overpayment from about 15 years ago).  I received a few suggestions and have read just about every post on this site and still don't know what to do.  It isn't clear what our rights are and what we can do--I guess the government and collection agencies are taking advantage of that.  I've been receiving calls from a collection agency, about twice a week, for the past seven months.  They have recently started to call me at work.  I haven't answered the phone in months, I let my machine pick up.  Should I send the CA a letter (what do I write?) or continue to ignore them ?  I find the whole thing ridiculous.  If OSAP wants to collect overpayments, they should do so within a decent timeframe. As for overpayments from 5, 10, 15 years ago, too bad, they should have put their act together before.  

Pigeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pigeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/November/2004 at 11:59am
I've gone through the posts and it certainly looks like the government has gone a fishing expedition going after loans over a decade old. My only concern is this discussion of sending letters of response. If these loans are statute barred........isn't a letter from a paralegal sent to the CA and acknowledgement of the loan. The way it looks....the CA's know most of these loans are statute barred but are hoping that if they piss people off, they will get a letter in response. IF a letter of response is an acknowledgement of the loan....then the CA's have accomplished what they set out to do which is to reset the clock.
billw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/November/2004 at 1:06pm

to pigeon & annm04,

To answer your question, no a letter from a paralegal is not a for m of acknowledgement and I will tell you why.  Because the letter states (the one my lawyer wrote anyways) the statutes of limitations, and secondly it states that any further activity regarding this "situation" should go thru "my" paralegal.  It in no way admits to or denies this claim.  Also you should know it is "illegal" for any collection agency to call your work.  Check out the Collections Act, it states what they can and cannot do.

I suggest to people to seek legal help in this situation because it is so unclear, see the Canadian Student Loans Act (see my very first note) and discuss it with any form of legal counsel, they will set you straight. 

The first meeting you have with any paralegal or lawyer is always free, it a consultation.  Bring all your documents and the Canada Student Loans Act when you see them.  They will hopefully tell you the truth, because anyone at OSAP sure isn't!

Islander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/November/2004 at 2:32pm

If you must write to them, specifically deny any liability for debt. Do NOT assume that just because you don't explicitly acknowledge it, you're OK.

What? Me, worry?
Alfred E Newman
khsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/November/2004 at 10:46pm
No, a letter of response dose not equal to a letter of acknowledgement.  I had the very same question and my paralegal clarified that. 

I don't think it is a good idea to write them by yourself though; you might make legal mistakes that you are not aware of.

If you really don't want to pay and really want to stop their harrassment, paralegal is really a good option.  The cost is minimal, and all further communication (if any) would be directed to him or her.

Islander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2004 at 12:20am
What? Me, worry?
Alfred E Newman
dolphin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/January/2005 at 2:52pm

Johnny, I have read your postings and looked at the Canada Student Financial Assistance Act where it states that the limitation period is 6 years...but I have also read Ontario's new limitations act 2002 ( http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Source/Statutes/English/2 002/S02024_e-SchedB.htm), which clearly states, under section (k) of it's no limitation period, the following:

No limitation period

16.  (1)  There is no limitation period in respect of,

(a) a proceeding for a declaration if no consequential relief is sought;

(b) a proceeding to enforce an order of a court, or any other order that may be enforced in the same way as an order of a court;

(c) a proceeding to obtain support under the Family Law Act or to enforce a provision for support or maintenance contained in a contract or agreement that could be filed under section 35 of that Act;

(d) a proceeding to enforce an award in an arbitration to which the Arbitration Act, 1991 applies;

(e) a proceeding under section 8 of the Remedies for Organized Crime and Other Unlawful Activities Act, 2001;

(f) a proceeding by a debtor in possession of collateral to redeem it;

(g) a proceeding by a creditor in possession of collateral to realize on it;

(h) a proceeding arising from a sexual assault if at the time of the assault one of the parties to it had charge of the person assaulted, was in a position of trust or authority in relation to the person or was someone on whom he or she was dependent, whether financially or otherwise;

(i) a proceeding to recover money owing to the Crown in respect of,

(i) fines, taxes and penalties, or

(ii) interest that may be added to a tax or penalty under an Act;

(j) a proceeding described in subsection (2) that is brought by,

(i) the Crown, or

(ii) a delivery agent under the Ontario Disability Support Program Act, 1997 or the Ontario Works Act, 1997; or

(k) a proceeding to recover money owing in respect of student loans, awards and grants made under the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities Act, the Canada Student Financial Assistance Act or the Canada Student Loans Act.

Please advise how this impacts the above mentioned Canada Student Financial Assistance Act.  Which do we believe???  It seems as though we have no legal ground to stand on.  What can we do??

Hami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2005 at 1:44pm

Well after a long silence(5-6mths) from the agency harrassing my wife about her grant "overpayment".  I answered the door today and woman handed me document for my wife that looks like a "Small Claims" court summons!  She asked if I lived there and what my first name was, nothing else.  I found it odd that if this thing is legit shouldn't I be signing somehing, also on the cover of the document there is a circle where a seal should be but it is blank.  Any suggestions on how I could verify this is legit?  I have to take a closer look at it when I get home from work tonight, but I didn't see any dates for appearances or nothing.  I don't know what to do next?!?

One of the last calls my wife received from the agency was at her work where she told the agent to file the claim and they had 30days, and she documented the conversation.  Could this be used in court as they have clearly gone beyond the 30days?

kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2005 at 2:07pm

Sounds all too familiar to me......

It may be a statement of claim from whoever is suing you....it should list the small claims court location.....if you want to know for sure if it is legit you could call the court where the claim is registered.

There won't be any dates for appearances quite yet....if this is legit...you will need to file a defendant claim within I think 20 days of being served.  Things can still be resolved without going to court....they (whoever that is) is probably looking for a payment agreement from you and their best way to get that is to sue for garnishment of wages. 

Once you find out if this is legit...I would find someone that can help you ... Johnny on this site is very knowledgeable about this... try giving him a call if you have any questions.  I lucked out and have a paralegal friend who is taking care of things for me!!!!

Good luck....and try not to loose any sleep over this...although, it is hard not to at times!

jbleafan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbleafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2005 at 5:19pm

Hi all,

I wish I had found this forum about sooner.  My wife was pressured and harrassed by collection agents for a few mths before agreeing to pay off $410.00.  We kept defying them until they threatened her credit rating.  BTW, she's been out of school for approx 14yrs!! 

We just recieve an official receipt for this amount from the Ontario Shared Services Bureau for income tax purposes.  I prepare my own tax returns using Taxwiz.  Does any know where I can enter this amount on the tax return...trying to re-coup our loss!

Thanks for your help!

russ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2005 at 4:53am
Hami...How are things working for you. Are you going to court or was it a
sham to get you to pay attention. I am still getting calls and being
threatened for legal action as well now.
Hami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2005 at 6:30pm
We are going to court, but we have a pre-trial first on June 15.  I guess the agency didn't like our offer to pay $50 a week to them, hehe! They are asking for all court costs to be paid by us also which we denied in our defence claim just willing to pay the overpayment amount only. 
  The nice thing is we havn't have a call or letter from the scum bags since the claim was filed.  Don't really know what to expect when we go to court, hoping for some luck I guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>