This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnd I thought I was the only one.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: And I thought I was the only one.
    Posted: 22/August/2004 at 3:55pm

I cannot believe that it has taken me this long to find this site; it is bringing vindication to emotion I have since written off as “one of those things that just happens.”

I started attending Brock University in 97, went on a co-op work term Jan 99. Either the school or the bank didn’t file (or lost) my “schedule 2” and “form R” for this term, got a call from the bank in the first week of the seventh month after the start co-op term and was informed that I had not been full-time student for six-months and I had to start paying back my loan. I informed the bank that, while on a co-op work term I was considered a full-time student, a fact I confirmed with Brock’s Financial Aid office. The Scotia bank said to send a schedule 2 and form R filled out by the school and they can fix the problem. Problem, Brock’s Financial Aid office said they couldn’t retroactively issue the forms. Result “Overpayment” I return to school in July 99.

A summer later I am enrolled in courses in the “spring” term. I dropped a course, which I later found out, put me below full-time status and subsequently did not qualify me for funding for that term. To the computer, it was  “overpayment.” Of course the seriousness of all this did not become apparent until I went to pick up my CSL, in Jan 00. I was informed that I was not eligible for a CSL because I had two overpayments. I was going to receive $3500, which, I needed to finish my last semester of school. I was also awarded a $3000 Millennium scholarship, which I was later told I wouldn’t receive. I called the OSAP appeal broad in Toronto and I was told there nothing that can be done. The same answer came from Brock’s Financial Aid office.

So, there I was, and still am today, 2 full credits shy of my degree, equal to one semester of school. I admit, even though unknowingly, I committed the second overpayment but the first overpayment was an administrative error that was the fault of two institutions whose internal administrative procedures failed.

I left school with a 75% overall and 80% major average. My confidence was ruined but I tried to get a job (in any area) so that I could finish my degree and eventually get a job in the field of my education. I ended up with a contract job with Brock, which ended up being an emotional mind-field due to a socially challenged manager. So, back home to a rural area where there was no University within a drivable distance, I returned with a feeling indescribable failure. I wanted to go back to school but there where no financial options available to me.

Then the creditor calls started, I admit I was not willing to work for less then $13/hour, I couldn’t afford all my financial obligations for less this amount. My parents made too humble a living to help in any means other than food and shelter. But the collection calls came a few times a week and every time I spoke with them it ended with more stress. I had no money so the creditors told me to ask my parents, family and friends for money which I always countered with the point, that if I could have gotten the money from them, I would never have had the need to borrow from the Provincial and Federal loan programs.

Having seen my parents distressed after talking with the creditors (I did not give consent) is what really bothered me about the whole process. I was ashamed and eventually slipped into depression.

I eventually got a full-time job and wanted to start fulfilling my financial obligation. I had three student loans, 97- Aug 00 OSAP, Federal; post Aug 00 CSL all three where in default, and all three where in collection. They all wanted "paid in full" and the OSAP and federal loans where unwilling to accept any re-payment schedule.

As I read the postings on this web site I have heard all tactics described, now finding that many of the tactics are against proper practice.

After being denied a consolidation loan by my bank, the loan officer told me to just send them (creditors) checks. But after the way in which creditors had talked me I just could not trust that they would be legitimate. On many occasions I asked for a statement and to this day I have not received one, except from HRDC. I ended up having to go to a local credit counseling service, it was the only way I could be sure things where being done properly. I wish I had found this site before.

I would also like to note that of the three creditors that I dealt with, CBCL was by far the worst and on too many occasion crossed the line of decency. I am sure that if that statement ever got back to CBCL they would feel more proud.

Sponsored Links

lasergirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/August/2004 at 4:08pm
Hi Bech! Welcome to the site! I suggest you ask
one of the members, Johnny for some advice. He
has helped many people here. I suggest you get a
device to record your phone conversations with the
ca's (you will have to inform them of this, tell them
you are monitoring their calls to ensure NO
HARASSMENT OR ABUSE WILL BE TOLERATED). I
send the ca's 50 a month (my loans are 60,00+
interest). I sent in my financial info and told them
this was all I could afford and if they harassed me I
would speak to a lawyer. I believe that the CA's are
OBLIGATED to accept whatever you can pay. Check
with your provincial ministry of corporate affairs re:
dealing with ca's and what is acceptable and what is
not! hope this helps!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/August/2004 at 4:18pm
Actually you don't have to inform them. What I'd do is record the call, then when one of them crosses the line in a big way, play the tape back to them and let them know that they'll be reported. Then do it.
 Post Reply Post Reply