This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedshould I aplly for loan forgiveness now?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
givemeaccess View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote givemeaccess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: should I aplly for loan forgiveness now?
    Posted: 22/September/2004 at 5:35pm

Hi,

I had an accident in april and I suffered brain injury and still am in rehab.  I applied in May or june for Interest relief.  I was approved 4 weeks later and now it is running out and I need to apply again as i am unable to go to work.  since reading all the posts here I am scared if I stay on Ir and use up all of it and i am still not able to go to work and get a job or even finish school.  I had 1 year left to get my ba.  my question is should I be applying for loan forgiveness now? or after 54 weeks which they told my lawyer.  I have loans with rbc, bcsl and csl.  Just what does loan forgiveness means? does it mean that i won't have to pay them until I am no longer disabled? or am I not required to pay at all?  after reading all the posts I am kind of confused.  I don't want them to forgive it and 10 years later having a collection agency coming after me with the money i owed plus all the interest for 10 years. 

One other thing is, the system is messed up.  I was going to public college and after graduating.  I went to a private college.  And when I graduated i called to tell them to send me a IR form and they wouldn't accept saying that they weren't aware of my status.  The last update they had from me was in 2001 and I asked why i have been sending all the forms of enrollment.  The lady told me since I was in private school they the private division does not have access to the public so she said to send the interest that has been accumulated to bring my account up to date if i want ot go on IR or continue school.  I paid that and I went for more schooling and I never faced any challenges.  I am shocked, I didn't pay them for a year and they didn't take me to collection agency.  After reading some of the posts where they have missed one payments and next thing you know Collections is after them.  It was very painful now that I look back after the mess I went through.  Nobody explain to me that there is a public and private division.  Not even the financial aid people in schools know what they are doing and not to forget the bank people.  Based on other people's problems with student loans I think i am very lucky  my account is still in good standing.

Oh another thing, when I was applying for IR after accident.  I went ot the bank and got the ir loan paper for them and the bc student loan.  She said oh just fill these 2 forms and you are all set.  Well I didn't want no freaking problem and I made a call to bcsl and asked them if they received ir papers i filled at the bank and she said we dont deal with the bank. what paper are you talking about?  Now imagine if I did and not made a follow up call to bcsl office.  They told me to go to their website and print a copy and mail them. One thing i can't believe is the form looks exactly like the one bank gave me.  I swear.  Nobody knows this whole student loan system.  It is truly a mess. 

Sponsored Links

momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2004 at 3:44am

check http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/studentservices/student/finish/deb t_red/bc_ds.htm

you might be able to find some answers there.  and the system is messed up on purpose - so we screw up and get the shaft

ill try to dig up more info for you when i have a chance

good luck and keep us posted

momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2004 at 3:48am

sorry my fingers screwed up that link

its

http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/studentservices/student/finish/deb t_red/bc_ds.htm

hard to type with a three year old in your lap

momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2004 at 3:51am

grrrrrrrr

ok so i will try this one more time

http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/studentservices/student/finish/deb t_red/bc_ds.htm

i guess i need another coffee after all

momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2004 at 3:53am

ah i give up

just do the www.aved.gov.bc.ca thing and go from there. 

im going to go and crawl under a rock since i obviously cant type today

givemeaccess View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote givemeaccess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2004 at 7:18am

Thank you so much.  I will update as to what they tell me to do.

Originally posted by momof2 momof2 wrote:

ah i give up

just do the www.aved.gov.bc.ca thing and go from there. 

im going to go and crawl under a rock since i obviously cant type today

Post Reply Post Reply