This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHanding Out flyers at CIBC branches!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
markomeara View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Site Founder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markomeara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handing Out flyers at CIBC branches!
    Posted: 15/May/2003 at 3:22pm
Today I had some spare time waiting for my car to be fixed.

So I stood outside the CIBC branch on the sidewalk and handed out flyers to anyone passing by.

Then I did it at another branch, then another, then another.

In all cases a branch manager came out to talk to me. I told them what we had done to try to resolve things but that it was a head office issue.

I got alot of support from people! And quite a number of people with similar problems...

One manager asked me to "leave the premises" but I pointed out that I was on the sidewalk, on public property and not on the premises.

I talked to alot of people today, emphasizing that we WANT THING FIXED!

Hope you people can hand out some flyers too!

Mark
Sponsored Links

polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2003 at 3:42am
I knew you'd get support -- anytime I mention my story to people, regardless of age, socio-economic position or political bent, I get either support or a "same thing happened to my son/daughter/friend/granddaughter/etc," story.

I apologize that I can't really get out into the trenches so to speak -- I work banker's hours nowhere near a CIBC branch (and, let's face it, they know where I live) -- but I have sent some e-mails and notified Canada Student Loan Nightmares. Apparently, the posters on that site don't seem to click at the top of the "Bad Stories" page to link up here. They keep posting questions to the that site (and, I'm quite sure, get frustrated that no one is responding). Hopefully, I can recruit some of the people there; most of them of victims of the CIBC as well.

Hopefully, you get some press too! That would be cool! Good luck!

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2003 at 3:54am
This is a brilliant initiative. Would it be possible to get a notice to the various NUS organisations and student political groups to join in? We need to try and make sure that students change banks if they are with CIBC and that they do not negotiate their loans or anything else with CIBC. Also to encourage everyone they know to move away from CIBC. Can we send press releases to student newspapers? CUP? The big season to hit with this will be September so let's organise to make a big impact then! Sorry to be in England and away from any CIBCs but let's try and start an email chain to send to everyone we know outlining in brief the crimes of the bank and gov't.
markomeara View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Site Founder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markomeara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/July/2003 at 8:10pm
A new flyer is available for download. Please print off a few copies and post it where ever you can!

Regards...

help_is_here View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote help_is_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/October/2003 at 2:58pm

Mark,

If I may, this concept of boycotting would be a good idea. write to me and I will tell you why.

Johnny
cfwgroup@tekcity.net
 Post Reply Post Reply