This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCIBC wants to hear from you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
MegaPo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegaPo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2003 at 9:37am
Edulinx who??

I have read a couple stories with happy endings here at Canada Student Debt. Horray!! At least one of the success stories included some contact with Edulinx.

Me? I have written to Emerson at Edulinx FOUR TIMES since June. No reply. Not even a confirmation that they received my letters, faxes, E-mails...

What's going on??
--Sean
Sponsored Links

Mark_W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2003 at 12:18pm
Hi again folks:

It's been a while since I've updated you folks on my fun times with CIBC.
A couple a great people at edulinx have been helping me out, although it's been a very rockie road so far. One of things they required me to get was an "application refusal" so that the governmetn could move forward with the investigation. Well it only took 5 weeks to get a simple fax from the CIBC monkeys. Furthermore, when I finally got the fax it was for the wrong date. Well, that was the last straw and I could no longer deal with them. Luckily, one of these wonderful people called on my behalf and got things set straight for me. It's now week 6 and should finally recieve the letter this week.
That's all for now...I hope you all are fairing better then I am....M
Shera View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/September/2003 at 8:35am
Just got another call from the 'between' person you know the one's between CIBC Student loan Centre and the real collection agents. I am tired, I am sick and I am fed up. I am writing them once again, they lack all humanity! When I sent them my doctor's note's explaining my long term disability, proof of income or lack there of and info on how serious my situation is, they didn't even reply, they just sent back everything I sent them with a half piece of paper attached to it saying that I will not receive interest relief now I have their oh so kind and understanding people calling me with threats send money now! Hmmmm let's see should I eat and pay for electricity this month or pay my student loan! I mean I have been paying them for 3 years and have been up front about my situation they lack any respect or empathy... I am writing today! EDULINX states that when determining if someone is eligible for interest relief and I quote"special circumstances, such as emergency health expenses or other emergency financial situations, will be taken into account." I guess they lied.
Hunter View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/September/2003 at 5:12am
Everyone lies to you including HRDC.
They asked me for my income statements and the expenses that I have to pay, and for proof I photocopied all the information.
Then they sent me a letter, questioning why I have a cell phone as this is classified as a luxury. I told them that the regular phone was when the phone was diconnected. Then they questioned as to why I have Cable which is $ 45.00, this is another luxury that they classify. I told them that having cable is the only form of entertainment that I have.
I felt like contacting them and asking why they never questioned me having utilities, and shelter, and food. Maybe to them these are luxury items too.

It seems as long as one has student loans, you have to curl up and die, or keep living with nothing.
Has anyone else ever been questioned such as I have.
Janice View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2003 at 10:48am
I also have problems with my Student Loans.

I was given incorrect information back in 1999 by the CIBC Student Loan Center and now HRDC expects me to pay for the mistakes that were made. Back in 1999 I had to declare bankruptcy due to problems caused by my ex-husband. The Student Loan Center told me that part of my loan was forgiveable and part was my responsibility. I immediately made arrangements for the part I was supposed to pay on and have adhered to these payments ever since.

In July 2003 I received a letter from HRDC telling me my Federal Loan was in default. You can imagine my astonishment when I investigated and discovered that the forgiveable part was not foregiveable but guaranteed and I was responsible for it. They have now added 4 years of interest on and they expect me to pay for it.

Why can the banks and HRDC continue to make these types of errors and demand that the students pay for them? Is it not time for the CIBC to take responsibilities for their incompetent employees? If I worked in a store and sold an article for less than what it was priced for I would be fired and the customer would have gotten a deal due to the negiligence and incompetence of the employee. The store would have taken the loss. Is it not time that the banks had to pay in such a way? Maybe then they would be more careful.

I am glad I have a place where I can vent my frustrations because noone is listening to me, not even my own MP.
Jo View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2003 at 5:58pm
Well I just sent my email...fingers crossed.

Something has got to give!
celcamp View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celcamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/October/2003 at 3:58pm

Hi, This is the first time I am writing. I just found this site because I have been having problems with CIBC and my student loan.  When I seperated from my husband I had no skills so I put myself through school, and as a single mom that wasn't easy, then under my lawyers advise I filed for bankruptcy, and during the 9 month processing period the rule is that no bill collector is allowed to call or send bills.

Well after the 9 month period CIBC "collections" came after me saying that i've been delinquint for 9 months and I now have to pay a collection agency my loan at a crazy interest rate and on top of that 9 months of extra interest! On top of all that I have a black mark on my credit for the bankruptcy then right after that the collection mark!!!
    Has anyone ever got any of there stuff straightened out,  Any advise out there?   Thanks

2Laural View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Laural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/October/2003 at 5:37pm
Unfortunately, you should have been told that the interest would continue to accrue while you were in bankruptcy.

Technically, the collection of the student loan debt should not start until after the Trustee is discharged, not your discharge. The reasoning for this is that if the SL were to get a dividend from your bankruptcy, then they have to reduce the amount that they are collecting by the amount of the dividend. What I would recommend is to write them a letter and tell them what your situation is like - what your monthly income is, and what your expenses are. Then see what you can REASONABLY afford as a monthly payment. In the letter make a commitment to paying $x/month every month, and stick to the arrangement. I recommend sending in money orders each month instead of post-dated cheques since they can cash a post-dated cheque at any time.

Hope this helps.

L
Johnny View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2003 at 7:33am

2Laurel says, " I recommend sending in money orders each month instead of post-dated cheques since they can cash a post-dated cheque at any time."

The agencies or student loan bodies cannot cash post dated checks at any time - other than the date specified on the check. Sometimes these groups "accidentally" send them in on deposit and the banks do not pick up on it. This is a "bank error". If this happens, the bank MUST fix it. 

2Laurel is right about sending in money orders. It is also a good way to prevent the agencies from having your account information. Once they know where you bank, your account number, and account status, they have more information .. and potentially manipulate you in some form. 

Johnny

polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2003 at 8:11am
Oh, yeah...The bank can only honour a cheque on
the date it is written until six months after.

If it goes through prior to the date...high-tail it to your
home branch and make sure it's credited back to
your account -- as well as any NSF charges and
overdraft services charges and interest...
Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
2Laural View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Laural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2003 at 10:19am
I have dealt with many institutions on a professional level with respect to post-dated cheques, and every bank that I have dealt with has a policy that unless the cheque is for more than $100,000, the bank will not be held responsible for the cashing of the cheque. The bank may eventually admit that there are forms you can complete, and of course pay service charges to have the item returned. All very time consuming.

Good luck on getting the bank to reverse the service charges too. I've talked with the banks until blue in the face. Maybe there are better banks/credit unions to deal with, if so, please let us know.

We all know how frequently "accidents" happen with collection agents, so why take the chance by sending in a PD cheque?
polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2003 at 10:59am
Well, times have changed, haven't they? Because
when I worked at the CIBC, we did all that...Of course
that was before the system became
centralized...That's when we used to check cheques
by hand for dates...Yikes, dating myself, aren't I?
LOL!

Actually, I demanded -- and GOT -- exactly that from
the CIBC when they pushed through 3 payments I
did not authorize. They were (supposedly)
processing my interest relief forms AND trying to
sneak through payments. The woman at CIBC
Vancouver was awesome. She reversed everything,
no questions asked. "Oh! Student Loans? No
problem!"

I never had problems with post-dated cheques
actually, but you're right...you can never be too
careful. Get a bank account like the one at
Scotiabank where you pay $11.50 a month a get
unlimited cheques and MOs...It will save you a
bundle, especially if you're only buying $20 MOs...
Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
Ferren View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2003 at 4:10pm
Under CPA Rules, a post-dated cheque is not eligible for clearing and therefore should not be deposited before the due date. However, given the large volume of cheques and the degree of automated processing, some post-dated items may inadvertently slip through.

Under Rule A4, Section 6(b), a payment item may be returned through the clearing by a CPA member financial institution for the reason "post-dated" up to and including the day prior to the due date. Once the due date is reached, the payment item cannot be returned for the reason "post-dated".

A customer with concerns about a post-dated cheque being processed to his or her account should raise them with his or her financial institution. If the institution is notified within the timeframe described above, the cheque can be returned through the clearing. Questions about overdrafts as a result of the early processing of post-dated items should also be addressed to the financial institution.

Ferren View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2003 at 4:16pm
If you WERE going to use a post dated cheque, I would circle the date with a red pen to draw attention to the fact. If the bank let it slip through purposely, the clearing center would likely catch it and return it.
Trixie B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trixie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/November/2003 at 6:29pm
I deal with Van City Credit Union in Vancouver and had a situation where my landlord put through two rent cheques, one post-dated and it slipped, Van City corrected the problem and credited the NSF and overdraft charges.
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/November/2003 at 3:34am
Personally, I will not do the post-dated cheques. Why give the banks or the creditors more information than you really have to. Collection agencies will just threaten you with guarnisheeing your bank account if they have this information.

It's just a thought.

been_there View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote been_there Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2004 at 11:58pm

Well here's a dozzy for you all...........

My friend that used to work at the equifax (up until about 3 months ago), told me that one of her co-workers was very abusive towards the other staff and I asked why won't they get rid of her?

Well.........aparantly these people have contacts (family or friends) at banks who will disclose confidential information about the person they are going after.

Thats gotta be illegal right?

slyverz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slyverz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/February/2004 at 11:46pm

Originally posted by MegaPo MegaPo wrote:

when they started taking money from my TD account!!

Question(s):  Can CIBC, or any other financial institution for that matter, legally remove funds/payments from another institution other than their own?  Without a person's express permission?

BTW, Hello all.  New here.  Stumbled upon this forum and site while researching what the hell to do about my current nightmare w/the CSL thing.  And imagine my surprise when I first got to the site and noticed that 56% of respondants to a poll said that CIBC was the absolute worst to deal with regarding this matter.

Stop the world, I'm getting off!
slyverz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slyverz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/February/2004 at 11:57pm

Originally posted by Hunter Hunter wrote:

***huge snip*** Has anyone else ever been questioned such as I have.

Just today, when the collection agent asked why my phone bill is approx. $100/month, I said, "Because that's how much my services cost."  She replied, "The internet?" in a "you don't need the internet, no one needs the internet" tone of voice, and I said, "Yes, I need it for work."  Unbelievable that people who used the damned internet every single day think that only they need it.

Stop the world, I'm getting off!
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/February/2004 at 12:06pm
The funniest thing that happened to me was one collector asked me why I pay such a monthly high rent, and I replied because I do not want to live in a rough part of a neighborhood where I have to sleep with one eye open.

To which she replied if I lived in the slum area, I could contribute the extra money to my student loan debt.

And I responded, sure, I would do this in a minute, if she would become my room mate.

Sadly she declined my offer, I still wonder why to this day.   

And then she has the nerve to tell me that I am not trying to pay the debt.

At least I tried.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>