This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCollectcorp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
techgrl1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techgrl1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collectcorp
    Posted: 28/October/2004 at 1:15pm

Good Evening all!

After reading through this website and seeing your stories I went and gathered all my paperwork regarding my "experience" with Collectcorp.  My question is, if I file a complaint and only have written notes about what has happened will that be enough??  The first contact I had with them was in March 2003 and "she" advised that my job was in jeopardy and I was not bondable.  I have the conversation notes written down but not sure if this is enough to send off.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by techgrl1972
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/October/2004 at 6:54pm

Youhave the right to file a complaint if you have been violated ina ny way. The more "merit" the complaint has, the more effectively it will be addressed by whichever Provincial Ministry to submit it to. Remember this though, if you are writing a complaint about transaaction that have taken place and bad tactics and such initiated by a collector, it is your word against the colelction agency at this point unless you have proof, like a recorded conversation. Collectors who break the rules are intelligent enough not to put notes describing illegal activities they have done. This is the problem. 90% of what collectors do and say are not recorded in their notelines which is required by law (Provincial and federal).

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techgrl1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/October/2004 at 4:59am
Thanks Johnny.  Although it is a little disheartening as I have no other "proof" of the abuse .  I am going to file the complaint - even though I have no recorded conversations.  It's nice to see though that you are in "my neck of the woods" and close by. 
Irritated View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irritated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/October/2004 at 2:10pm

I wrote this letter to the collection agency that was hounding me..havent heard from them since...sent registered mail. Although the hounding has stopped I still want to file a complaint. Hope this helps for the time being...

Name and address of collection agency

phone number

Extension (of person hounding you.)

Reference #

Date

I would like all further contact with (insert name) by mail only. 

(Insert name) has made numerous phone calls (to which I have logged with a frequency that would constitute harassment) to my home and to my place of employment and has been unprofessional with my supervisor and fellow employees.  The regulations set by The Ministry of Consumer and Business Services have been breached by (insert name)

I will contact The Ministry of Consumer and Business Services and Human Resources Development of Canada should my wishes not be met.

Your name

Ref#

inform yourself
Irritated View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irritated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/October/2004 at 2:16pm
I also sent a copy of the regulations set by the ministy of consumer and business services (highlighted ofcourse) with my letter..
inform yourself

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techgrl1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/October/2004 at 4:08pm

Hey Irritated,

Thanks for the "form letter".  I have been drafting one and have re-wrote it several times.  I just want them to stop calling.  I am paying my monthly payments but they feel this evil urge to call.........

Jorge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/November/2004 at 9:52am
The same here I made a complain... and they didnt call me anymore and 2 weeks later they send me a letter giving me a deal to settle down....
Cure collector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cure collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/November/2004 at 3:09pm
It is a great idea to make a formal complaint (if the complaint is valid) but make sure it goes right to the source of your loan, not just the collection agency. Collection agencies work of market share and if they receive a lot of complaints they will get docked market share which means docked $$. So if you feel you have a valid complaint talk to that person's manager then find out where to write a formal complaint to ie: if you have a Royal Bank loan that's in collections send it to their service provider not just the agency. But remember to make sure it is a valid complaint! Embarrassed
Collectors, we're not that bad :)
6273kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6273kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/November/2004 at 3:49pm

You know Cure, I just don't get it. Why would anyone here make a complaint that was not valid?

Where do you guys get that blame the victim thinking. I have talked to many people and one thing we all seem to have in common is that we are all human. Mistakes are made. Life happens, you cannot always control what happens to you.

Keep yourself on that pedastal, because one day it will be a long way to fall, seeing as you have such high personal standards.

When life happens to you...and believe me it will...hopefully you can find a group like the people here, who genuinely care about people, to share time with, without prejudice.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techgrl1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2004 at 12:48pm
First of all Cure - just because you claim that some collectors "play by the rules"  I can assure you that quite a few of them don't and I can also assure you that I would not make a complaint unless I felt I was violated - and I was - AND they did threaten me.  My complaint was filed and a letter was sent to the agency to stop calling.  And they have. 
Night View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2005 at 7:33am

I am new to this site and I owe it to my husband for finding it and helping me out with this problem/ CollectCorp is after me for a debt or 2,080 and I did not have any idea that they could say these types of things to me just to scare me....my husband did tho and after reading some of the posts on here I am in shock as to what they will say to scare you. They informed me that because I am not working that they would go after any other bank account that I have to get the money that they would not care what the money in there was for...I did not let on that I even have another bank account so then they proceeded to tell me that they would go after my husband for the money when he is not even listed on anything to do with my bank account that this is on...I was scared called my dad who I thought might be able to help me out and told my husband who told me right away they could not do anything to any other account, at first I wasn't too sure but after I thought about it I came to agree with him and now reading some of the stories on here I am sure of it. I am still in shock as to how far they will go...

Night

Islander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2005 at 5:04pm

Your accounts are safe unless:

1:   There is a judgment against you, in which case they can issue a garnishment order against them. That means they can scoop everything in your chequing or savings accounts.

2:    The account is in a bank that you borrowed the money from. You'd think that was a no-brainer, but you'd be amazed at how many people owe, say, RBC twenty thousand dollars and then are shocked to find their rent money has been set off (swiped) by the RBC branch they keep their money in.

As for what collectors can or can't do, that's more of a grammatical misunderstanding than a legal one.

In fact, what you are interested in is what a collector MAY (is allowed to) do. That is set out in a number of pieces of legislation that can be found on various websites and there are links in the archives around here. There are also rules imposed by their clients, in these cases the banks that held the loans and the governments, provincial and federal, that screwed the whole program up in the first place. As well, the collection agencies have their own internal policies (some, but not all, suggest that their collectors stop short of murder).

As to what they CAN do; the answer is, anything their perverse imaginations can conceive. Nine times out of ten they get away with it, so they WILL try it. You can protect yourself by knowing your rights and their obligations under the law.

First thing to do is get a recording device and record and log every conversation you have with the swine. Keep meticulous records of every correspondence. Then you have two things you can do. Use your newfound knowledge (power) to keep the filthy parasites in line and secondly, use your records to file a complaint and close them down when they breach the law. 

Keep in touch, we're here to help!

What? Me, worry?
Alfred E Newman
CoolGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2005 at 11:12am

HI,

I am from united states. I am in a very serious predictment with
collectcorp. I was not able to pay a credit card account that I had
with MasterCard for awhile and the company contacted Collectcorp. So,
Collectcorp called me at work and harrased me so much that I was so
close to loosing my job. He simply said when I told him I am not in
any position to make payments "This is bullsh*t. Do you own a car?
((I paused for a couple of seconds)) Yes. Where is it parked?" Then I
simply hang up phone. He called right back again and talked to my
boss. Surprisingly, he was so rude to my boss that my boss simply
hung up the phone. In the end, he said they are going to sue me
within 24 hours if no payment is made. In the meantime, I forgot
to ask them for their phone number so i can call them back. So, I
contacted the credit card company to ask for CollectCorp 1-800 phone
number. Anyhow, I finally got around to call CollectCorp and set up
monthly payment of $600.00 ( 2 payments of $300.00 on the date I get
paid) total of upto $3,000. However, they are taking out the money
before I have any money deposited and my bank is charging me
overdraft fee left and right. I am dieing out here. I am stuck. Whats
even worse is that I MISSED PLACED their 1-800 PHONE NUMBER......

PLEASE COULD SOMEONE GIVE ME COLLECTCORP 1-800 NUMBER SO I CAN CALL AND
TELL THEM NOT TO PROCESS THE CHECKS BUT ONLY ON THE DATE WE BOTH
AGREED ON.
ANY 1-800 NUMBER TO ANY ONE OF THEIR OFFICE IN CANADA PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
Any help will be appreciated Thanks.
I hate collectors. They should be put in jail and beaten to death :)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2005 at 5:05pm

1 800 900 4238 is one of their #'s.

If you need help, let me know.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
x-collector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x-collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2005 at 12:18pm

Hey Guys and Girls,

I have been looking at all these posts...I have to tell you...you are doing all the things that are of no long term assistance to any of you.

The Creators of this site are private Credit Counsilors.  They are giving you advice on how to be a Proffesional DEBTOR.

The truth of the matter is, YES they make Collection Agencies go away.  But not for Long.  After 6 months or a year(when you stop paying them) the calls WILL ensue,  any action that would happen will happen.

If you are interested in a BAND AID form of assistance, then you are in the right place.  If you are really interested in dealing with your situation, speak with your creditor directly, give them your financial situation and try to work something out.

If you are dealing with a Collection Agency, yes they will pressure to get the money you owe and do things you would not normally do.  The truth though is that in most cases you may not like to have to pay in full, but when you do, you feel great and in most cases you have restructured your debts with a bank where your new monthly payments are reasonable and you are re building your credit.

If you are not in a position to get a consolidation loan, you can not get the money from personal resources(family&friends), 99% chance your collector or creditor will accept monthly payments.  That will KILL your credit though.

With all that said, my advise to all of you is DEAL WITH YOUR DEBTS.

Don't blow your money on Private Credit Councelling.

If you are in that bad of a financial position, go bankrupt or file a consumer proposal, both are done via Licenced TRUSTEES.

If you can get the Money to pay but you have to lower your ego and speak with your family; lower your pride and do your self the favour.

If you feel you need more advice, speak with your local PROVINCIAL CREDIT COUNCELLING AGENCY.   

If you want real help...research through reading the laws and educating yourselp in credit.
Mersan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mersan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2005 at 1:08pm

X-collector I think that the great majority of people who end up on this site are victims of a very dysfunctional system that has failed them in every respect.  All of us have tried to speak to our creditors directly and they have been unreasonable.  All of the normal avenues through which we may have resolved our student loan issues have been closed to us.  It may be difficult for you to understand that people who have been lied to and cheated might be unenthusiastic about doing what you suggested as most here have already been down that highway. 

27% of student loan borrowers are in default and essentially living as pariahs who are not eligible for any of the remedies you suggest.  We need to deal with reality X-collector and the reality you suggest is not that accommodating.

Still as an X-collector why would you care?  If you are concerned with missing public resources why don’t you focus on the billion on so dollars HRDC misplaced under Jane Stewart.  Or the money lost or embezzled in the sponsorship scandal. 

I am trying to gauge the statistical probability of all these ex collectors converging on this site within the same 48 hour period.   Be interesting to see how many are posting from proxy servers.  

kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2005 at 1:32pm

Hey Xcollector,

I have read your post....I have to tell you...you are doing all the things that are of no business of yours.

The creators of this site are not credit counsellors--do your research!  You are giving us advice that will keep us in debt.

We are really interested in dealing with our situation--THAT'S WHY WE CAME TO THIS SITE.  You are telling us nothing new, X.  You haven't read enough posts if you think you are giving new advice about speaking directly to the creditor.

Your speil on dealing with the CA is right out of whack!  Cut the CA script crap.  Monthly payments do not ruin your credit--it sounds like you need a course in financial wellness before you start giving advice like that!  If someone is dealing with your likes--their credit is all ready weaker....who are you trying to kid??

I hate to burst your cognitive distortions about the members here....WE ARE DEALING WITH OUR DEBTS.

Bankruptcy is not the most effective way to deal with your debts!  There are options!

Now please.....we don't need your insults about our ego.   We sustain enough of this kind of abuse all ready from many of your friends.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2005 at 6:19pm

Hey Mersan,

Too funny.

Re:

"I am trying to gauge the statistical probability of all these ex collectors converging on this site within the same 48 hour period.   Be interesting to see how many are posting from proxy servers."

I think that the majority of "certain" people who do not want to be identified are using proxies.  

solvestudentdebt.com
Beachcomber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beachcomber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2005 at 7:31pm

What a bunch of closed minded conspiracy theorists!

Is it not possible that there is some intelligence and wisdom available out there that doesn't involve hiring the people that benefit from this site?

Is it possible that their answers are not always the best for everyone every time?

I hope they are as perfect and dead on target in every instance as they insist, because they shut down all the alternatives. Or cancel their memberships.

Now THERE'S lateral thinking for ya! Right, Johnny?

polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/January/2005 at 12:32am

Trollboy:

I disagreed with Johnny at first. I consulted others. Most of us did. We received WRONG information and were NOT helped in anyway. I got a consumer proposal. It was a big mistake. Read the posts and educate yourself.

I have been a member here prior to Johnny's involvement. Over the past two years I've been here, the members -- all educated and intelligent -- have been screwed over by the same "alternatives" recommended by x-collector and you. We would NOT automatically jump into the arms of Johnny without first doing our research. But he proved himself. The evidence speaks for itself. I am living evidence. x-collector has not proven his case...and neither have you.

You sound like someone who has a vested interest in ensuring that Johnny loses business. Otherwise, you wouldn't be so angry...

Poly

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>