This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCollectcorp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2005 at 3:26pm

It won't disturb the bankruptcy limitation period.

The other stuff is in relation to the statues of limitation persuant to the life of the student loan.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Sponsored Links

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2005 at 5:22pm
Payments dont reset the 10 year bankruptcy rule. Being a student does though...

Payments reset stats barred limitations...

Mark
lola View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2005 at 6:15pm
Mark,
Thank you.
Lola
Chris_S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2005 at 6:34am

Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and just started to have to deal with CollectCorp.  I authorized them to withdraw the agreed to amount on the 8th of each month.  They took it out prior to the date I had told them to.  Now Mrs. Harris ( my "handler" ) has informed me that the payment was returned NSF.  I checked with my bank and they tell me the payment was not returned.  Now I have to prove to the CA that my bank info is correct and thier info is worng.  The proble I have is I work 12 hour shifts and can't get to my bank. 

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Chris

momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2005 at 6:50am

do you have access to online banking ?

if you do, you can print the screen showing the withdrawl and fax it to those morons at collectcorp.

better yet...tell your "handler" to send you the proof that your payment was returned so you can fix it.  chances are he's full of that brown gooey smelly stuff...

personally, i would never ever ever give them my banking info.  send money orders by registered mail from now on.

professionals built the titanic but amateurs built the ark...
kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2005 at 7:10am

I wouldn't let your "handler" withdraw automatically from your account....simply for the reason you have stated....them taking the payment early.....uh...yah...NSF...You morons took it early---DUH!!!  Now you are stuck with the NSF fee....just another way they mistakenly screw people.

Either switch to paying by cheques....or better yet...like momof2 has said...money orders...they are the safest and you know the money is out of the account and they can't take more than what you give them!!!

Good luck with the bank....I guess the best thing to do is call them and explain to them the situation or if you can go on your work break to your bank.....do that and speak to them in person...

outof my mind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outof my mind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/March/2005 at 5:20pm
hi I have just started dealing with collect corp.This woman called the other day a least three TIMES and left a message which was threating that she knew i was home and that if i didn't call back in the next 5 minutes she would be taking action against me and govern myself according etc .I still have it on my answer machine.She was a real ....so i called back.She was very rude when i told her i wanted to make arrangements to make payments she said well it's to late for that .I Told her i could make some kind payment.she said they wanted the full amount in one week so i was to try to get someone to co sign for me or borrow the money from family .she told me i had no excuse cause people on welfair even make payments .I told her i had some finaical problems over that last few years.she said i was employed so i had no excuse .I had to move five times in the last to years cause i couldn'rt afford were i lived i lost all my belongings cause i couldn't make payments on storage.I had three student loans one which the bank stopped taking payments for and then when i called they said they had no record of the loan then a year later i get a call at work saying it was in collections  and that i needed to make payments.I have never got a letter then i was trying to make payments but never had the money to make a  payment.so anyway they are threating to take legal action.i have been struggling with trying to pay everyone off  but when you pay out more then what you make in a month how do you get a head.what do i do any ideas
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/March/2005 at 8:09pm

Mind,

It is not a pleasant experience by any means. Unfortunately, the more resistance you give, and the more obstacles you toss in their way, the worse they will become in relation to fear installation and psychological tenderizing tactics. Simply telling them to leave you alone will cause them to act more harshly.

Basically, what you are experincing is their mind game of making you feel "guilty" so that you will act. It is one of the top ten psychological tactics that they employ on people who they feel are embarrassed or "depleted" because of owing a debt. They feed on your emotions as they are trained to read debtors, their responses, and their reactions. It is very unique business psychology.

If you would like some help, let me know. I can releive you of the unwanted collection calls and make em go away, get you back in control, and most of all ... protect you from these vices.

John LeBlanc
The Canadian Financial Wellness Group

Tel: (902) 464-8727

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outof my mind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 1:08pm

Thanks ,

I do need some help.I am suppose to call them back monday and give them the full amount or give her notice that i got someone to co sign or borrow the money off some one ...i can't even afford a bottle of pop right know and she won't let me make payments do i call her back what do i say to her.Should i get legal aid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outof my mind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 1:14pm
I feel like making a complaint about her she was rude and very nasty to be .she called five times in one day.she won't let me make payments
lola View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 3:52pm
Out of my Mind
Originally posted by outof my mind outof my mind wrote:

.I am suppose to call them back monday and give them the full
amount or give her notice that i got someone to co sign or borrow
the money off some one .

CollectCorp can not force you to take out a loan, or pay the amount
in full. I don't think they are supposed to suggest that you take
out a another loan to pay them off.

I agree with Johnny - this is a typical scare tactic. She has refused
your offer of paynment. Do you have that on tape?

I don't think legal aid will help in this case - they have slashed the
budget and even battered women have a hard time getting it. You
can try, but don't get your hopes up. If you can't get legal aid, if you
are in BC UBC Law Students in the Department. They have an
information service. If you aren't in BC try the Law School at your
local University.

I googled "guidelines debt collection agencies bc" and got these...try
these links for information.
www.bpcpa.ca/Consumers/help/consumers-help-debt-
collection.htm

www.cba.org/BC/public_media/credit/252.aspx
Again, if you asren't in BC, try your own province or federal
guidelines. They should be similar in all provinces & territories.

Good Luck!
Lola

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outof my mind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 4:14pm
well no all i got from that day is a nasty voicemail on my answer machine on my cell phone.i am suppose to call her back monday.I am going to tape it anyone have ideas on how to handle call
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 4:29pm

Out of Mind,

If you would like some help, let me know. You would have to become a client, but I can solve this crisis of yours.

John LeBlanc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outof my mind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 4:51pm
how much does it cost?any ideas how to handle call on monday should i call her back
lola View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 4:54pm
I have my own theories on how to deal with abusive collectors. If I
was receiving abusive calls this is what I would do.

Record the call. Before making the call I would say my name into the
recorder, and also say that I am aware this call is being recorded.
(One party has to be aware the call is being recorded or it is illegal). I
would not let on that the recorder is on, and let the collector carry
on in their normal manner. I would use her name if I could, or
somehow get her to say it.

I would remain calm and state my position. I WOULD NOT make
promises I couldn't keep, or agree to take loans from family. If she
became abusive I would hang up immediately. No one has to to take
abuse! (Read the links I put in the last post or do your own search on
what constitutes abuse - or better yet read some of the posts on this
site.) If she called back I would turn on the recorder, catch some
abuse, then hang up and trace the call by dialing *57 and following
the instructions. After 3 traces I would call the police and report it as
a harassment. Call trace only works on incoming calls. The calls
don't have to be at the same time, it can be over a period of days or
weeks as long as they can be traced to the same person.

Ideally I would wait for her to call rather than placing the call myself,
because if she becomes abusive on the first call I can trace it as it
was as it was an incoming call. This would reduce the number of
calls it would take before I could report harassment to the police.

I wouldn't hesitate to make the reoprt to the police. If everyone who
got harassing calls did this there would be a paper trail (record) for
the harassment by Collection Agents, and they would be less likely
to make those harassing calls. The police will contact them and tell
them to stop it or get charged.

I woulld never give them my cell phone number. If they had it I
would change it. That is a recipe for harassment. Land lines only....
Lola
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 5:23pm

Lola,

Police aren't going to do anything about this.

You can access the special package rates for members here at the top of the home page or contact me directly.

If you want, I will make this all go away for you. You won;t need to deal with them on Monday. I will do it for you.

John LeBlanc

lola View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 5:28pm
Police won't do anything about student loans, but will do something
about harassment, but you have to report it. Harassment is
harassment - no matter how you look at it.
Lola
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 6:37pm

Lola,

The police will not get involved in these matter, period. all they will do is tell the individual to contact the liscensing and regularoty division that is responsible for these collection agencies.

Harrassment is a serious offense per the colleciton agencies' act. It also has a definition as to what can be considered harrassment by a collector. If the complaint meets that criteria, and can be proven, then the ministry must act on it.

John LeBlanc

lola View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 7:09pm
I am not a lawyer, so I don't know under which act it would be must
effectrive to chasrge an abusive collector, but harrassment is a
criminal offence. The Collection Agencies' Act is covered by the
Criminal Code of Canada.

Personally, I would trace calls and report it if I was being harassed by
telephone. Every single time. We have rights. I will assert them, even
if the RCMP chooses not to get involved. Tracing a call, which makes
a record of it with the RCMP, is great proof that harassment is
occuring - especially if you have a tape recording to go with it.

Somewhere on this site I read posts that you can request to only be
contacted by mail. This is due to harassment laws. Collection
Agencies can be charged for harassment. We are usually so whipped
by the time it gets to that point that we don't take the offensive -
and let's face it, who wants to be that contentious.

This information can be googled under: criminal code of canada
telephone harassment collection agencies

Cheerio.
Lola
eshelton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 7:15pm
I guess it wouldn't hurt to try to contact the police if a CA were harrassing you.  It would be interesting to hear from people who have tried this. 
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." - Jean Chretien
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>