This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCollectcorp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
CARGO1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARGO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/January/2005 at 1:26am

Welcome back Mersan.

Troy

Â Â ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Sponsored Links

mesonic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mesonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2005 at 5:33am
Hey Ex-Collector....did you think aobut how far you were "lower your pride" (fabulous use of the English language by the way) when you took a job as a debt collector??  I'm sure you're really proud to tell people about how you make your living!
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2005 at 6:22am

Debt collectors that act outside of the law simply sell fear and intimidation as their sole product. Their job is to collect money, that is no secret. They dislike this website becauae of us here who expose their true colors and weaknesses in the business sense. The same goes for the bankrupty and "pseudo-non-profit" debt pooling schemes.

Many collectors are wonderful people outside of the office. They have a job to do just like anyone else. In fact, most of them dislike their jobs but for the time being, It is an icome that pays the bills. If you wer a fly on the wall inside an agency, you will see that collectors are controlled by a level of management that is just as relentless and intimidating.

Management are the real collectors. Truly. They set the pace. The floor collectors simply dial numbers and do what they are told.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
mesonic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mesonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2005 at 6:28am
I appreciate that people have to do what they have to do to pay the bills.  However, from my brief experiences with these people I have to say that I would be ashamed to do this job.  I would honestly rather live in a box on the street than do this.  I could never in a million years call up someone when I have no idea of their life circumstances and accuse them of ripping of other Canadians and basically tell them they are the scum of the earth for not paying back a debt to some Billion dollar a year bank.  I'm sorry but I think people have to be accountable for what they do...paying the bills or not.  I can't even imagine how these people can sleep at night let alone tell anyone what they do for a living.  There are other options for making a buck...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2005 at 7:00am

Business is business. It is no different than being a Federal tax collector or a garbage collector, for that fact. People do what they have to do to survive. Plain and simple.

Many are ashamed of their job in this industry.

You know what would "change" the nature of the collection industry beast to become something that is mutually "good" for the business sector?

Offering straight paid salary benefits and removing commissioned income.

You know what would collapse the collection agency industry?

Removing commission earnings and monthly "quotas" replacing it with straight salary.

This exposes the evil nature of this beast. Change is something that derrives from the term "repentance" which an act of good. If the collection industry were to change in this manner, it would collapse. 

Agency clients pay the agency a commission of a certain percentage based on whatever they collect. The agency pays collectors a percentage of their percentage of whatever they can collect - over and above a specific target.

Collectors are paid a salary based on commission, which is sugar-coating a large brick of salt. This is evident becaaus colelctors are under fire at all tyimes to justify their "advanced pay" based on the amount of money they collect. If they cannot meet their outrageous targets given, they are simply turfed, only to be hired by some other of the bazillion agencies out there. It is a vicious circle.

Talk about satan and his legion.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
mesonic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mesonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2005 at 10:55am
HI Johnny, I appreciate what you are saying.  And to a certain extent I do agree with you about the nature of the collection "industry".  I also know from reading on this forum that you not supporting these collection agents....HOwever, respectfully, I don't agree with the "business is buisness" statement nor do I agree that these vermin from Collectcorp are anything like a garbage collector.  Garbage collector is a good honest way to earn a living...from my personal experience with Collectcorpt being a collection agent is not.  These people are dealing with people's lives.  As this forum testified to they are making a profound impact on people's lives.  As such, they have a duty to act repsonsibly and from what I have experienced personally and from what others aer saying they are not.  People do have a choice of the profession they are in.  These people could get another job.  If they are able to be employed as a collection agent they could just as easily be employed as a server at a restaurant, a customer service rep. for some company whatever.  I stand by my comment that these people shoud be ashamed of themselves abusing, lying and instilling fear in what in most cases are the more vulnerable in our society.  "Business is Buisness" just doesn't cut it.
mesonic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mesonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2005 at 11:06am

Sorry I hope that didn't come off angry at you.  I'm not at all.  I am angry beyond belief at the vermin CA's.  Sorry I just had to go on a little rant....

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2005 at 12:09pm

This is quite alright

I was not referring to the job of being a garbage collector as beinga bad job. My meaning of "business is business"... is just that though. It is a business. A very weird one, but it is a business. I was using the garbage collector job metaphorically, not comparatively.

solvestudentdebt.com
CoolGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2005 at 4:37pm
Hey Guys,

Its me CoolGuy again. I want to thank you so much for your phone numbers for Collectcorp and this site is awesome. I have been trying to connect Collectcorp with your phone numbers and there has been no person to talk to for the past three days and I am freaked out. Everytime I call them , all I get is a answering machine with guys and gals saying leave your detailed information and we will get back to you very soon. I dont know what to do at this time. What's even freaks me out more is that my bank is telling me I wont be able to close the account completely. The reason is that once the account is closed it has to be closed for atleast for a month for   the account to be considered closed. What that means is that if Collectcorp process payments after I close the account within 30 days the account will be opened automatically and the payment will be processed. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......See what I mean I am stuckkkkkkkkkkk. I am in this loop that I won't be able to get out. These freaking ass Collectcorp won't get back to me. Please......

Does Anyone have any other number than the ones you gave me for Collectcorp.... You are informations are gold....Thank you Thank you very much...

These are the numbers I have for CollectCorp...
1-800-773-0203
1-800-900-4238
If anyone has a phone number for collectcorp other than these, please let me know. I would appreciated. Thank you again. Guys.
I hate collectors. They should be put in jail and beaten to death :)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2005 at 5:06pm

This problem is with all of their numbers. From what I can recall, you can access their company directory. Just spell the first 4 letters of the person's last name and you will be linked. When you get hold of someone, make sure you get their direct line. this way, you can bypass this waiting process the next time.

solvestudentdebt.com
ihatecsl's View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihatecsl's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/February/2005 at 4:57pm
the numbers do do squat ive been bounced to a new ooperator every 2 days..ive gone from loan agent to loan caaptain to supervisor to VP of arrears ..woot i rate a VP
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/February/2005 at 11:39am
Watchdog, has had his account suspended... and ability to post.

I've already advised Islander/JavaMan/Beachcomber/Watchdog that he is not to come to these forums because of his attacks on users and his threats to sue me and bankrupt me.

If he comes back, all the printouts of his postings will be forwarded to the school he works at, his ex wife (still living I might add) and the RCMP.

Edited by administrator
CARGO1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARGO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/February/2005 at 11:56am

Well the truth in a nut shell, thanks admin.

Troy

Â Â ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
aaronstew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaronstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2005 at 6:10am
By way of completely changing the subject here, I was struck by something that was mentioned earlier in this board, and it had to do with settlements.

Regardless of the amount percentage-wise, we are all aware that it is possible to settle for less than what is actually owed, in some cases (Federal CSL excepted, from what I gather).

We are also aware of the impact on credit reporting, i.e. 6 or so years from the date of last activity.  This makes it the case, as I understand, that even if one is making regular payments on one's debt, and over the course of say, 10 years manages to pay down the $20000 or so in SL, there will remain a further 6 years of credit inelligibilty (or severe impairment), resulting in a hypothetical total of +/- 16 years during which SL's are being reported.  Fair enough.

My question, (finally, you may say!) is how do people manage to settle?  I mean, at even an optimistic settlement of 50% on $20000, one would still need to somehow come up with $10000.  Obviously, High Risk Lending is not a viable alternative, as you are only putting yourself (and family perhaps) at further risk.  I simply wonder aloud how/where some are able to come up with that kind of money?

Hypothetically, how would one manage to make any kind of large payment on a SL?  If there are any strategies, tips, tricks (not involving stock scams or Florida real estate) for gathering cash for settlement, I would love to hear them.  I, like many others I would imagine, would much rather start the 6 years of residual effects sooner rather than later.

Any thoughts?

Aaron
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2005 at 11:48am

Hello everyone,

I have compiled some of my research into different Provincial statutes. I thought I would share this with you all so you will have a better understanding of the Provincial statutes in Quebec.

The statutes of limitation for Quebec student loans are 5 years from the date of last activity, payment, or acknowledgment. Now, Quebec law allows the limitation period to be interrupted during its course only once. This interruption would occur when the Department head of the Student loan sector issues a “Final Demand” in writing to the borrower – to their last known address.

So, once a Quebec loan is due to become barred, and there has been no interference by the department head to prolong the life of the loan, it is then barred after 5 years.

If the loan is due to become statute barred, the government can cause the loan to survive another five years by issuing this “Final Demand” notification.

No other province has this statute.

I thought I would share this information to those who have guaranteed Quebec loans, and are under legitimate financial restraints. If people have any questions, feel free to ask.

John LeBlanc
The Canadian Financial Wellness Group

Tel: (902) 464-8727

solvestudentdebt.com
lola View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2005 at 11:31pm
I am new to this site, and joined because I have some questions.

What is the process after a loan goes into default (in BC) and is in
collections?

How long does a loan have to be in default to be discharged? I have
heard 6 & 10 years.

What were the rules between 1993 & 2001?

Was there a period where bankruptsy (sp?) can't be claimed for?

What is the discharge process?

What is "barred"?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I have been dying to ask over the
past few days.

Thank you anyone wh can help.
Lola
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/February/2005 at 4:25am

Lola, 

The process of collections is just that. Collections, unfortunately.

If the loan is a guaranteed BC student loan, then the BC government will subrogate the guaranteed portion, have the loan transfered to their internal collection unit (MBLS) and proceed to collect from you.

You asked:

"How long does a loan have to be in default to be discharged? I have
heard 6 & 10 years."

If you are referring to the bankruptcy and insolvency process, it is 10 years from the time you cease to be a full or part-time studene (per section 178 of the BIA)

You asked:

"What were the rules between 1993 & 2001?"

You will have to be more specific. Rules surrounding what? 

You asked:

" Was there a period where bankruptsy (sp?) can't be claimed for?"

There were different limitations over the years. Currently it is 10 years from study end. It was two years just before the change to 10.

You asked:

"What is the discharge process?"

The discharge process is when you have finished your bankruptcy probationary period (9 months). At thios point, your trustee will apply to the court for discharge, and if all goes smoothly with no objection of opostion, then you are awarded an absolute discharge.

You would be better to ask a bankruptcy trustee this. They would give you more of a definitive answer.

You asked:

"What is barred?"

In Layman's terms,"Statute Barred" (for debt issues) means that it is no longer collectable by using the legal system. The private lending section can still try to collect a statute barred debt, but htey cannot legally enforce it by any means.

solvestudentdebt.com
lola View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/February/2005 at 9:58am
"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help
them, at least don't hurt them."       HHDL
Let's get back on track. This is becoming obsessive.

Johnny
Thank you for answering my questions.
I have a few more if you don't mind.
Do you have to file bancruptsy in order to have a default debt
discharged, ot will they chase you forever if you don't?
When did the rules change from 2 to 10 years?
Does the 10 years get re-set at each payment? (ie: if a payment is
made, does it re-set the clock?)
Thank you.

Lola
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/February/2005 at 10:23am

No worries,

You asked:

"Do you have to file bancruptsy in order to have a default debt
discharged, ot will they chase you forever if you don't?"

The only way you are going to have a student loan "discharges" is to go bankrupt. The term discharge applies to the Bankruptcy and Insolvency business. The only other discharge would be the Crown or lender tossing the loan away for whatever reason We all know that doesn't happen, now.

Even when a debt is statute barred, it still exists. It is just simply shelved away until one day you acknowledge it so it can be resurrected. 

You asked:

" When did the rules change from 2 to 10 years?"

Technically, it was April, 1998.

You asked:

"Does the 10 years get re-set at each payment? (ie: if a payment is
made, does it re-set the clock?)"

No, not for the bankruptcy limitation issue. It will disturnb the limitaiton period as to the collectability of the debt described in Sections 16-19 of the CSLFA (Bill C 28)

John LeBlanc
The Canadian Financial Wellness Group

Tel: (902) 464-8727

solvestudentdebt.com
lola View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/February/2005 at 12:23pm
Hi Johnny
Thanks for the help.

Q. "Does the 10 years get re-set at each payment? (ie: if a payment
is made, does it re-set the clock?)"
 A. No, not for the bankruptcy limitation issue. It will disturnb the
limitaiton period as to the collectability of the debt described in
Sections 16-19 of the CSLFA (Bill C 28)

I don't undrerstand this response.

The rest of the information is very useful.
Lola
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>