This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCollectcorp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
crazy_hazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy_hazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2007 at 4:27am
i heard collect corm has established new regulations and they no longer call workplaces if consumer states a no. But, in some states of the US it is under the law to pursue calling workplaces if consumer has avoided their calls purposely and not answering phones or paying their bills for a long time.
Sponsored Links

crazy_hazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy_hazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2007 at 4:30am
the balance has only gone up because when it goes to collection agencies, interests rates are high and if you do not pay anything it only allows it to go higher. its sad but true.....
Nightmare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightmare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/February/2007 at 1:10am
I understand that interest is accumilating, but that much in 1 month????
Harpocrates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harpocrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2007 at 6:29am
I'm new here. Thank you for all of the advice offered.I have a question. I've been dealing with CollectCorp for about 12 or 13 years. Been through the quizenar, but I'm ok. Been paying off my Canada student loan over this time period (I'm a resident of NB BTW)~ chipping it down, doing alright.A couple months ago I received a letter in the mail from CC that my account was being handed over to a company in Quebec. There was a P.O Box and that was it. There was no contact name, phone number~ nothing. Totally vague.Myself, I don't feel comfortable tossing money to some unanimous P.O. address. I thought of contacting someone at CC, but I've already taken up my mat and walked. (Won't be their doormat anymore.) Haven't heard from them in a long time. I'm confused.Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
The wages of spend is debt.
Mark Heard
Nightmare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightmare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2007 at 1:19am
As per my email that Collect corp was liquidating their files, I have not heard back from them at all. Plus I've heard that the Federal government may have an agreement that they will stop any interest charges that are accumilating this year and only ask for the original amount of the loan to be paid out!!! Does anyone know if this is true?Confused
RJW24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJW24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2007 at 1:57am
Hey there,

I understand your predicament regarding CollectCorp and where your money will now be going to.

This is what I always do when debt collectors send my information to another location and do not give a contact name or phone number and here are a few things you can do also:

1.) See if the company is listed online, check the Internet and Yellow pages
2.) Contact CollectCorp and request a phone number for this new group, if they refuse to give one to you, demand it.
3.) If CollectCorp STILL does not give you a number and name, contact your MP or MLA and they will get something done for you, trust me on that.
4.) If for some reason, that does not work, then consider contacting a lawyer and have them contact CollectCorp.

That ought to scare them a bit Smile

Just keep remembering that you have rights and if CollectCorp are violating those rights, then keep pressing on up the chain until you get some answers.

Goos Luck.
RJW
RJW24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJW24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2007 at 1:41am

I do not know if this is true or not as I have not heard from Collect Corp in a while either, although I told them not to contact me at all while I am repaying my debt to them.

If this is true, then I suggest you contact the Federal Government and ask them if this is true. Try to get the number from CollectCorp and if they do not give it to you, then demand it. If they still do not give a number to you, then contact the government themselves and see what they say.

that is all I can tell you.
RJW
eclipse33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclipse33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2007 at 1:02pm
Wow, I have just started dealing with CollectCorp at the end of April on a Telus bill.  I am a pretty reasonable but these people are unreal.

There is no such thing at an attempt on negoitation...the start off by threating and intiminating you right off the bat.

I called up ready to be reasonable to talk to this person in a civil manner but she came at me like a lion from the start.  They won't intimidate me but they are sure trying their best!

SLW
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/May/2007 at 1:48am
This is a collection agency.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
eclipse33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclipse33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/May/2007 at 5:40am
Does anyone know if there is any law on what these people can charge you in interest?

Apparently my bill has increased from $850 t0 $950 in 2 weeks?
Nightmare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightmare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2007 at 4:17am
All I know is that these interest rates are terrible!!!
waitaminute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waitaminute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/May/2007 at 3:39am
Hi fellas I just had to deal with collectcorp, they said they would have
direct access to my bank account.

my question is , do they have any goverment approval to do so? is this legal?

Thanx.

Nightmare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightmare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/May/2007 at 4:00am
no they cannot gain access to your bank account!!
the government can garnish your wages.
Lulu24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/May/2007 at 3:12pm
Hello everyone, I have been dealing with collectcorp all last week, until I sent them a letter asking to only contact me in writing, so far no calls. 
I also have a question, my debt is for a CIBC credit card and I was wondering if I have to pay Collectcorp directly or can I still pay CIBC Visa. CC told me that I can only pay them because it is in third party collections. I usually don't believe all of there scare tactics but this one I'm not sure of CIBC said I can but I should still make payment arangements with CC. 

Waitaminute- I do believe they can only have access to your bank info if your debt is through that bank, but I'm no expert so that might be wrong.
waitaminute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waitaminute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/May/2007 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Lulu24 Lulu24 wrote:

Waitaminute- I do believe they can only have access to your bank info if your debt is through that bank, but I'm no expert so that might be wrong.

Lulu24, yeah my studentloan is through the account. They said they would not accept other

I just wonder, they doing this with goverment support, or just their rogue fashion.
Nightmare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightmare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/May/2007 at 1:25am
I guess if you have an account with CIBC.
But if you have an account with another bank I cannot see it possible for the bank to release any info on your account to others.
GFatz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GFatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/May/2007 at 1:32pm
I'm brand new here.   I've been dealing with CollectCorp since February for a CIBC credit card. My wife lost her job and I wasn't able to to eat, pay rent and make all my minimums. So I paid them less then the minimum payment from Sept - Jan. Then I recieved a letter saying I had to pay the total amount in 10 days or it was going to collections. The total was for just over $6100 so I called in and spoke to a CIBC "credit councellor" and she told me to pay the amount over due by the 10th business day and no further activity would take place. So I sold my TV and barrowed money from family and came up with the $475 and paid it on the 9th business day. I called CIBC and reported it. 2 days later I got a call from collect corp. Dirty buggers. So I contacted Community Credit Counselling Services of York Region and was advised to pay well over the minimum payments CICB has set for a few months and it would likely go back to monthly payments although the account would be closed. I called CIBC a inquired and the agent I spoke to agreed and said it would go back to normal. I recieve several calls a day from CollectCorp. I return their calls and request that they never contact me again. The calls will stop for a couple days, but then someone else from CollectCorp will start calling. I have recieved calls from about 8 different CollectCorp reps. I haven't recieved a statement since January from CIBC, but when I call the automative phoneline it tells me my payments have been accepted and gives me my new balance, so CIBC is accepting my payments. I have paid over $1300 since Feb 12th and my balance only went from $6109 - $5174. This month minimum was only $108 and I paid $250. I called CIBC to get this to stop but naturally their credit councellers only work 8:30-5:30 monday-friday. First line agents are usless, and my expreience with the CIBC "Credit councellers" tells me they're either useless too or they're rotten liars. So I don't even know if trying to talk to them again is worth my time anyway.   Any advise or thoughts would be appreciated.
But Thats Just My Opinion...Hence The Right One
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2007 at 7:01am
Collectcorp is a provider of service to CIBC accounts that are not aged and only a few months in arrears. There a couple of other collection agencies that have this sort of contract with CIBC.

If you would like help, let me know.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
eclipse33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclipse33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/June/2007 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Lulu24 Lulu24 wrote:

Hello everyone, I have been dealing with collectcorp all last week, until I sent them a letter asking to only contact me in writing, so far no calls. 
I also have a question, my debt is for a CIBC credit card and I was wondering if I have to pay Collectcorp directly or can I still pay CIBC Visa. CC told me that I can only pay them because it is in third party collections. I usually don't believe all of there scare tactics but this one I'm not sure of CIBC said I can but I should still make payment arangements with CC. 

I am dealing with CollectCorp on a Telus bill.  They lied to me for the 1st month also and told me I could only pay them because the "purchased" the account from Telus.  The person I was dealing with (leanne) was the most unreasoanable person I have ever dealt with in my life.  I asked for her supervisor or another account manager after dealing with her from a month.

The 1st thing the new account manager/supervisor told me was that I could still pay Telus directly and that CollectCorp was only collecting on behalf of Telus.  I called Telsu and spoke to a amanager in the billing department and she said I could pay Telus directly but it had to be in full.

Be very very carefull...CollectCorp.  And if you agree to pay them...make sure they fax you something (settlement agreement) before you pay them a penny.  And don't give them direct access to you bank account. 
Dunker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2007 at 11:32am
For several years I've been treading water (ie. paying only the interest) on a student loan debt that's somewhere under 10 grand.  For the first time ever I made a large payment this month, just a little in excess of the minimum recommended payment.  I did so because I finally got a job after a long period of unemployment.  Well after not being bothered by collectcorp for quite some time, they are now back on my case and calling several times a week.  Like the sharks that they are, they can smell the taste of new blood, and they probably figure that there must be more where that came from (which there isn't).

I've received requests to have the personal questionnaire filled out in the past.  I did fill them out for the first couple of years, when I used to allow them to bully me.  However once I found out more about Collectcorp, I requested that they only contact me via writing.  This is the first time I notice a threat of legal action in the request for the Financial Questionnaire, which as far as I'm concerned is little more that a fishing trip that could result in them calling my place of employment.

Here is how the letter they just sent me is worded:

This letter is to inform you that we have not yet received all the information required by Canada Revenue Agency in order to assess your repayment ability.  Please submit the following:

-completed Financial Questionnaire
-proof of income;
-proof of expenses;

Failure to provide the above documents(s) will result in your file being referred to Canada Revenue Agency recommending that legal action be taken.

We will hold your account in abeyance for fiften (15) days from the date of this letter, in which time you are requested to either provide the required documents(s), make arrangements to remit payments within the acceptable schedule, or pay your account in full.

According to our records, you currently owe $  (pick a number between 5 and 10)  (principal and interest) as of Jun. 02, 2007 to Human Resources and Social Development and interest is continuing to accrue on a daily basis.

Enclosure:  Financial Questionnaire

Personal information is administered in accordance with the Department of Human Resources and Skills Development Act, the Department of Social Development Act, The Canada Pension Plan, the Old Age Security Act and the Privacy Act.  It will be retained in Personal Information Bank PPU %$#.
Individuals have the right of access to, and request the correction of, their personal information.  For instructions, please consult the government publication Info Source, available at Service Canada Centres and at the web site address http://infosource.gc.ca/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>