This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCan an old dog learns new tricks?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can an old dog learns new tricks?
    Posted: 29/October/2004 at 5:30am

And the correct answer is...yep.

Over a year and a half ago, I joined this forum at the lowest point I had ever been in my life -- totally disillusioned by life. And although other senior members probably know my story, I want to share it with new members...and with any possible lurkers, smugly sure that we MUST have caused our own problems.

And most of all, I want to issue an apology to a gentleman who took a HELLUVA (can I say that word Mark?) lot of my guff...The first thing I want to say about John Leblanc is that he is the most FORGIVING man I have ever met! lol...

Okay, kids, curl up with your favourite beverage and I'll tell you a wee story that will curl your hair, if it isn't already.

After my marriage ended in 1987, I was determined to make a great life for me and my baby boy. So, at the age of 26, I went to university...back in the days of grants, $1,200 tuition and liberal arts degrees that actually meant something. I was an English major because it encapsulated everything: history, philosophy, psychology...you name it. I loved it and decided I wanted to be a professor. But just in case, to ensure my resume would list more than six years at the CIBC and a degree, I became involved on campus: the student newspaper, the student union, the university senate...I also worked two jobs; part-time at the CIBC and various departments of the university. And I raised my son with the help of my parents.

I was going to do it all myself...with NO help from welfare. And even though I usually only took four courses a year to keep up the pace, I did do it all...with my eyes on the prize at the end.

Fast forward to 1996. Engineering students wore t-shirts that read "Friends don't let friends take arts." Tuition had skyrocketed and each year that went by meant fewer grants and more loans. Mike Harris cut us off mother's allowance if we went to school to ensure that I couldn't seek relief from the skyrocketing loans even if I wanted to. One HBA and two years of a Masters later, I knew I couldn't afford to do a PhD. So I sought out alternative career possibilities and went to college in Toronto for a year to take publishing. One year and no job later, I returned home and took a retail job. My loans came due, but after my provincial interest relief periods ran out, I was able to renegotiate for a reasonable payment. No problemo.

Teaching career opportunities opened up in 1999 in Ontario, so I went back to university and got a teaching degree...and discovered that our local school board was the only one in the province that was still laying off teachers. I couldn't afford to relocate. So ironically, after all that education, I forced to go on welfare for three months to feed my son!! Finally I took a job as an advertising copywriter for $20,000/yr. And my loans came due. $60,000 worth. They wanted a total of $750/ month for both together. So, like before, I submitted my forms for interest relief...and the nightmare began.

They kept losing the loan consolidation form for the provincial loan. Over and over and over again, I was phoned and told to send it. But I did! No you didn't. Excuse me? They would give me a fax number and I would fax it...once...twice...three times...Oh, that's the wrong form...we need you to fax another form...But you said...No I didn't...Faxing the other form...once...twice...three...four...finally! The fifth time, they acknowledged receiving the form.

But by then it was too late, they said. You must pay us hundreds of dollars in interest before we can process your interest relief form. But YOU lost the forms...it's not my fault. Correct your mistake. No, give us money. I don't have it and I shouldn't have to give it to you. You can't talk to us in that tone of voice. Excuuuuse me? I want to speak to your supervisor. You can't. Then give me his name; I'm going to write a letter. Sneeringly: John Smith. If I treated customers like this when I worked at the CIBC I would have been fired!! Just send us the money or you're going into collection.

They tried to process payments through an account with no money in it...racking up $100 in NSF charges alone. I called CIBC Vancouver who refunded it no problem. Yeah, student loans department is like that, they told me resignedly...they aren't REALLY part of the CIBC, they just use our letterhead.

The phone calls were daily and persistent. Once I found a sympathetic ear who promised to look into my problem and gave me his name in order for me to call him back in three days. I did...they had never heard of him and said that no one OWNS your loan so even if he did exist I couldn't talk to him. I was diplomatic; I was angry; I was hysterical...it didn't matter. Forty years old and people half my age are talking to me as if I was a 14 year old snotty kid. I was ignored, insulted, talked down to, yelled at...Never in my life had I run across such a disgusting example of customer service. I didn't realized people could treat others that way and get away with it. I was gobsmacked.

And so it went...and after one successful federal interest relief period, so did that loan go down the tubes too. They refused to accept that I had sent my forms back within the "window" -- even with a Purolator receipt that a NSLC employee had signed for! I had three collection agencies chasing me because my loans were taken out during different adminstration eras. I contacted CBC Marketplace...they brushed me off. I contacted student organizations...no one had answers. I called a credit counsellor; she told me that I could declare bankruptcy on the loans that were more than 10 years old. So I called BDO Dunwoody, who corrected that informational error and offered me a consumer proposal. I took it because I had no other option.

That was in November 2002. I was 41 years old, living with my parents. I had a crappy paying job; a son about to graduate from high school; no child support in 15 years; no car; no credit card; no hope in hell of ever having any of the things I went to university to get. After annoyed comments like, "It can't be THAT bad," my school friends disappeared, afraid that whatever bad luck I had was "contagious."

I discovered this forum in January 2003...bloody hell. It wasn't just me. I signed up to ensure that if the 10-year rule came into effect, I would be the first to hear. Or any good news. And this dude with the moniker "help is here" also joined...and proceeded to annoy me.

Suddenly this wonderful consumer proposal wasn't so wonderful, according to him. He would post about the dark side to bankruptcy and boast that he could fix things. He reminded me of Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction: "I fix things." Yeah, sure. By this point in my life, I trusted no one, and lived by the adage, "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is." I, along with other senior forum members, would argue with him, sure that he was sucking in all these vulnerable CSD forum members with false promises, only to pull the rug out under them...Johnny pleaded with us to believe in him, offering to prove he could help, if only we gave us a chance. Scoff, scoff, guffaw, I brushed him off like a little bug...

During this time, Mark referred me to an address of a CIBC rep hired specifically to look into mistakes made by NSLC. I sent Nadia a letter and supporting documents. She responded with a letter of apology which I hold dear to my heart. It was NOT my fault, she said; mistakes WERE made with my file, and they gave me the option of wiping the slate clean and starting ALL over again, at ground zero. Wow. Just one problem. I had a consumer proposal. BDO Dunwoody said I wasn't allowed to negotiate with the CIBC and they took over and brushed them off. I didn't care at the time; I felt vindicated and figured that once the proposal was paid off in 2005, I had ammo to negotiate with...

Then MY rug was pulled out from under me. I was laid off from my job as the ONLY full-time advertising copywriter in town. Teachers were still being laid off locally. I had no money because it was all going to that damned consumer proposal. I couldn't renegotiate for a longer amortization because I had no job. I couldn't find another job locally; no car for the jobs I was qualified for and too educated for the minimum wage jobs that were left.

If I stayed put, my EI would run out and my proposal would default after 3 months, leaving me to deal with the wolves. If I moved for a job, I would have to use any money I scraped together for first and last month's rent, furniture...the proposal would still default.

The only good thing in my life at that point (besides my angel of a son who kept me sane throughout all the insanity) was my boyfriend, as sweet Dutchman who wanted us to be together. He couldn't move to Canada anymore as I had to hold down employment for two years and not have declared bankruptcy (unfortunately, a consumer proposal is the same beasty wrapped in a prettier package). My son was leaving town to go to school, so I decided to follow my heart and move to Holland. The consumer proposal was a lost cause no matter what I did, so I really didn't think I was running away from anything. I was running TO something.

But in the ensuing year since Johnny joined this group, I realized that he was one of the few people who actually put his money where his mouth was. I read the testimonials. I Googled him to find out whether he was for real. I kept waiting for the warning posting from some member who was ripped off. It never happened. So I swallowed my pride. Afraid that my family would be harassed after I defaulted and concerned that my student loans would haunt me across the ocean and screw up any future with my guy, I emailed Johnny. Ehrm, I know I've been a real sh*t to you, but...will you help me?

No problemo...he was thrilled to hear from me and immediately put a plan of action together. I signed over power of attorney to him; he now speaks on my behalf regarding all student loan issues. He spoke to BDO Dunwoody...and although they will defend their products to the death, my administrator was blown away by how Johnny could help me.

As long as I am out of the country, I will NEVER be bothered by student loan problems again. "Live your life...you deserve it after all the crap you've been through," Johnny said. For the first time in years, I can dare hope for my own credit card...a car...a house. It's still not quite real, and even now, as I wait for my residence permit that will allow me to work in this country, I have to remind myself that these hard times are just temporary...for sure this time.

And if I ever come into enough money to settle the loans, Johnny will negotiate for me.

So let me summarize for those who slept through my little tale of woe and redemption -- Johnny is NOT a scammer...50 lashes with a wet noodle (wi-CHAA, wi-CHAA)...he CAN be trusted.

And Mega Po? If you're still lurking on this site...His offer still stands...

Poly

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
Sponsored Links

zafire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zafire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/October/2004 at 9:43am

Poly,

I really can relate to you when you say that you ran to something, rather than running away. For me it was Christmas, 1995. I bought my one way ticket on a Visa that was about to go bust and got on the airplane to this weird place that I now call home. I swore that I would never go back unless (and this is a big unless) someone offered me a job where I didn't have to beg, squirm and otherwise belittle myself. The funny thing is that now people are now interested in bringing me back...funny eh?

People say that student loans don't disappear. They may be right. But I also know that life does disappear--one's youth, one's dreams, one's aspirations. Sometimes it is choosing one over the other. You made the right one, Poly.  

Edited by zafire
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/October/2004 at 5:13pm

Thank you, Poly.

We have come a long way on this site from the beginning when there were only 20 or so members. Be not afraid of going forward... be afraid of standing still. This is the greatest message that you convey in many of your beautiful postings.  

You are truly a wonderful person.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/November/2004 at 12:14pm
I too thought that Johnny was too good to be true. After all, I had been thru hell and back several times. I was running out of airmiles.

And I thought, like really who would want to listen to my story and even want to help me. But Johnnt was so different. I am very fortunate to have found and better yet trusted him.

What did I get in return?
Piece of mind, no more harassment, and the best I really look forward to each new day. Sure my financial situation sucks, but I still have hope.

Post Reply Post Reply