This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedwill i qualify for debt reduction?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
nago View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/December/2004 at 5:00pm
In BC the reqs for ir are that you cant be a full time student

http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2sn9.jpg
Sponsored Links

momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/December/2004 at 3:39am

nago, thats only one of the req's...

Eligibility Criteria

Effective August 1, 2002, former students will no longer be required to apply for and receive interest relief for their Canada student loans prior to applying for interest relief on their BC student loans.

To receive BC interest relief:

• You must have a family income, before taxes and other deductions, that does not exceed the maximum amount specified for your family.
  • You must be repaying your BCSL.
  • You must not be in full-time studies.
  • You must not be in a six-month post-study period.
  • Your BCSL must be in good standing (all portfolios) or you must be able to bring your loan(s) into good standing.**
  • You have not received the lifetime maximum of 30 months of interest relief or 54 months of extended interest relief.
  • You live in Canada or you are participating in an international internship program.

**Note: If you declare bankruptcy after May 11, 2004, you can still apply for and receive BC interest relief provided you meet all other eligibility criteria.

visit www.aved.gov.bc.ca/studentservices/student/finish/debt_red/b c_int.htm for the rest of the information and links for both bc and federal interest relief and debt reducitoin information.

professionals built the titanic but amateurs built the ark...
momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/December/2004 at 3:48am

world

that doesnt sound quite right.  is that all they said ??  was this from the NSLSC or direct from yor original lender ??

my loans CSL and OSL were from 96-99 and they let me apply. 

more info please !!!

worldfamous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worldfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/December/2004 at 5:18am

Thats all they said. It came from the NSLSC. 

I am from Newfoundland. Not sure if that will make any difference.

Client Services & Counselling
Student Financial Services Division
Department of Education
P.O. Box 8700
St. John's, NF  A1B 4J6
Ph: (709)729-5849
Toll-free: 1-888-657-0800
Fax: (709)729-2298

Edited by worldfamous
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/December/2004 at 5:28am

World,

Write to me privately. I will give you the number of an associate of mine who may be able to help at the NFLND gov.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
worldfamous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worldfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 5:25pm

-------------------origninal post---------------------------

I last applied for a student loan in 1998 for a 2 year course.  I finished school in april of 2000 and started paying back the loan in November of 2000.

I am currently going back to school, but am paying for the tuition myself.

I was wondering if i would qualify for debt reduction in 2005?

One of the stipulations state that

• five years has passed since you last attended a post-secondary institution;

Does this apply even thought im paying for the schooling myself and am not using a student loan?

-------------------origninal post---------------------------

I was just reading some of the posts, and then it hit me.  I was receiving interest relief for the first few months i was attending school, until i discovered the schedule2 form.

So if the government would give me IR while attending school, I should quality for debt reduction when my IR runs out.  Can anybody verify this?

momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/March/2005 at 3:15am

not necessarily...

i received the max for IR but was denied debt reduction ( which is in the process of being appealed).  depends on your income...

johnnycrunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnycrunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/March/2005 at 11:22am
This is sooo depressing,  I graduated in 1996, and where i am from in Nova Scotia had a very high unemployment rate, so I thought I'd go to asia for a couple of years to teach english and get that dam thing payed off, ($originally owed 24000), at the time my loan was with scotia bank, well things don't alway go as planned so (long esl horrorr story), as a result my loan went to collections as i couldn't pay anything. I sent money whenever i could to the collection agency. I returned to canada in 1999, moved to vancouver to find out i had cancer (still in remission!) in 2000 applied to have my loan recoverd from the collection agency and for debt reduction. I got good and bad news they called my debt from the CA, but told me because i had a job no debt reduction would occur, and interest continued to build during my cancer treatments, ironically i had just gotten a job with the federal gov't when this happened.   9 years later i am still owing $18000, this is so stressful, I want to buy a home start a family, but this is ridiculous, i am really trying to take care of this, but i see no end in sight!!!  what the heck did i go to school for?  any suggestions? should i see my mp?
kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/March/2005 at 1:24pm

Johnnycrunch....you have done very well to knock off $6000 of your debt...that is great...do not give up....there is and end to all of this!!  You may not see the end right now...in time my friend you will

That is awesome that you are in remission!  Take care of yourself first and foremost....always...our health should be priority!!

Nice to have you around....keep coming back!!

johnnycrunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnycrunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2005 at 10:13am
thanks kwelmm, its nice to see i am not alone in this maze of bureacracy! it just gets soo frustrating, and disheartening
It almost seems like a research project to find all the programs avail for people looking for help, sad in a way , the government should be more proactive in this area, in my opinioin...
 i wonder if momof, can provide any details of appealing a negative debt reduction aplication, and if there is a time frame involved? (i.e my decision occurred in 2000)
kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2005 at 10:28am

You could always email her....she would not mind...in fact she would probably ask you to herself if she knew you had questions for her.  Check her profile...her email addy should be in there....

And....definitely you are not alone.....we are in the struggle together....and yes it is a maze of bureacracy!

momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2005 at 12:52pm

johnnycrunch

i'm not sure if there is any time limit for appealing your DRR decision.  mine was denied last year.  i phoned CSLP directly once when i was originally denied and was told no, there was no recourse.  i called again maybe 6 months later and was told sure i could appeal, send the info in and they'd take a look at it.  sorry i don't really have more info.  you can include receipts for expenses ( like medical, funeral, home repairs, etc ) to show how seriously strapped for cash you are ( too bad they don't consier it for your original app, all they want then is proof of family income).

if you have more questions i can try and answer them, i'm usually on here a few times a day...i still haven't hear anything from my appeal, so i have no idea if these things get overturned or what.  my problem is i'm stubborn so i'll keep trying - i have nothing better to do being unemployed and unable to work...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12