This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDisability and Collections

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gofigure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gofigure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disability and Collections
    Posted: 29/December/2004 at 7:02am

Hi,

Please help me if you can. I have read other comments and there is much useful information, but I seem to have a seperate problem, which has to do with collection agencies and disability.

Firstly, i'm doing this on behalf of my partner who has a chronic illness, permanent disability. When he last went to school, he applied for OSAP with a Permanent Disability, and was approved, which means he could take a reduced course load and still get full funding. He wrote his exams in the disability office, etc. It appears to me that one would have to meet the same disability requirements now as then! He's been really sick for about 2 years.

His loans were at the NSLSC, and in our admitted neglect, they were sent to collections. We since learned that he should have applied for Medical Loan Forgiveness and are told that he is still eligable. The NSLSC sent us the forms, but say they cannot recall the loans because the goverment paid them.

There are two collection agencies. The first one actually called our neighbour and asked them to give us a message! When I complained, though, they took the loan temporarily out of collections while we go through the Disability Application process, which they have not denied we are eligable/entitled to at least try.

The other agency - I'm afraid even to say the name - has told us only people who can absolutely NEVER work again are eligable, and attempted twice to deny info and forms. They said you basically need to be in a coma or totally brain damaged. They said you have to be living on government disability benefits - which is funny, because you would have had to work a long time to contribute enough to CPP, though my partner was always a student and has almost never been able to work since he has been really ill since he was about 18.

They seem very versed in what to say, they lectured me about taxpayers money (we are taxpayers too), and implied that we'd found some doctor that would make stuff up (two doctors, no less, and the hospital, and the school) and told him to "prepare himself for the comeback" if he's approved, whatever that means. They said they'd want to talk to the doctor. They told us to submit the forms to them, and they'd forward them on.

I wonder how many people they've denied info and assistance to, and how many people don't have advocates on their behalf. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with collection agencies and diability claims.

- Is he still eligabile to apply for disability if the loan is in collections?

- Can the loan get returned to the NSLSC or HRDC Canada instead of collections?

- What is the correct application proceedure (do we apply to the NSLSC, to HRDC or to the collection agencies?)

- What is it supposed to mean about being "prepared for the comeback" from the collection agency if he was approved? What recourse do they have - can they appeal or interefere, or contact the doctors etc?

Any and all assistance would be gratefully appreciated and all the best with your loans!

Sincerely,

S

Sponsored Links

kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2004 at 8:05am

S,

I don't know too much about disabililty and student loans, but I do know collection agents are the last people to be talking to about it!!!!!!! Whatever you do don't send any collection agents your forms or doctor information.  It is none of their business!!!  They are trying to intimidate you! The disability process has nothing to do with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!  No, they can not contact the doctors.  They think they are the experts on everything--they are not.

I think it is momof2 who has some experience with the disability process--she will be on the forum some time .

momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2004 at 12:12pm

let me start this off by saying i dont deal with nslsc so i am totally unfamiliar with their policies.

in my situation my health problems are post school and well after the 6 month period they want the disability to occur.  i have exhausted my 54 months of interest relief and my loans are supposed to be in collections right now.  due to some letter writing, my loans are in a holding pattern at the bank pending some appeals and some disablility applications.  the bank and the canada student loans people have sent me the necessary forms, i am just waiting for my doc to complete them.  i am also trying to have my original debt reduction in repayment application appealed while i wait for the disability claim to be processed - which will take up to six months.

so i guess the answer would be anything is possible.  he should still be eligible to apply for the disability benefit, though.  make it known that he was unaware of his eligibility for the benefit when you submit his application and be prepared for the 'why didnt you do this sooner' spiel they will likely give you.  do your research and stand your ground.  if you have more questions i can try and answer them, or somone else may be able to provide some answers.  this site is full of information, just sift through some of the forums and see if anything applies in your case. 

if he initially applied for funding with his disability on the books, you could argue with nslsc that they were negligent in informing you of the disability benefit he should be entitled to in repayment.

the medical loan forgiveness is something they dont want you to know about so they will give you the line that its for terminal conditions etc.  HOWEVER anyone who is unable to work for a year or longer due to health problems is eligible to apply as long as they have the neccessary documentation, just as you are entitled to apply for the cpp-disability benefit and any provincial disability assistance.  they will make you jump through hoops i have been told but i'm still trying.

hope that helps. 

professionals built the titanic but amateurs built the ark...
gofigure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gofigure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2004 at 12:28pm
Thanks to both of you for your prompt and really helpful replies. I've been going through this site today and there is really a wealth of info in general. It is really shocking how little regard they can have for an individual's situation. Momof2, have you made any progress with your application? I read your letter, by the way, which was extremely helpful as were your comments here. Thanks again.
momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/January/2005 at 3:32am

gofigure

my application is in the wait and see stage - my doc and i have completed it and it has been sent off.  i have been told it can take up to six months to hear anything back, however.  in the mean time we ( me and the doc) are waiting for the cpp-disability forms and the ontario equivalent to be sent out, and they can also take up to six months to get a response.

if you've read my letter then you know what my medical situation is.  the joy of it is that i felt lousy for almost two years before i was finally diagnosed, having to rule other things out along the way.  i'm on a first name basis with the technicial at the med lab due to all the bloodwork i have gone through every three months.  the medication i am currently on isn't working, i have to go and see the doc later this week and i guess we will try something else.  the biggest obstacle i face is that fibromyalgia isn't universally recognised as a serious illness, but a chronic illness.  whether or not it is considered a disability is not clear, either.  there is no cure.  it also cycles, so there are times i feel pretty good and other times i can barely get out of bed etc. 

have you made any headway with your partner's medical loan forgivenss application ?  keep us posted, okay ?

professionals built the titanic but amateurs built the ark...
emma_chase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_chase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2005 at 3:29am

re: Post #1

Which PROVINCE are you in? (Maybe you mentioned it and i missed it.) :P

I can only answer for Ontario.

Email me if you need to.

emma_chase@yahoo.com

Emma

:)

emma_chase@****
 Post Reply Post Reply