This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMoving back to Canada

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
sexymamma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexymamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 12:46pm
Thanks Poly!! I kind of thought that ohers may appear. So what do you suggest to me?? What are you doing about your loans??
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 4:41pm

Sexy,

From what you are describing, you have Federal guaranteed and bank risk or risk-shared loans.

You wrote:

"Can somebody help me to understand this Student Loan Act?? Does it mean they really cannot do anything to you after 6 years?? (Limitation Period) and how do I know when exactly this time is up?? In my credit report there is no date of last activity. There is only a date at Prior Paying History (2001-01) is that it??"

I am assuming you are referring to the CSLA and CSLFA (Canada student loans acts (program and financial assistance).

For the federal government, there is a 6 year limitation period that restricts the government from collecting ther student loan. They cannot sue you after this limitation period which is 6 years.

The statutes of limitation begin on the date that the government subrogates the student loan. This means that from the date that the government reimburses the bank for the guaranteed portion, the loan is officially in default and the limitation period commences. 

It sounds to me like you need to know ALL who you owe, and what position these debts are in to determine what risks you may or may not be facing.

If you want help and protection, let me know. It is part of what I do.

John LeBlanc
The Canadian Financial Wellness Group

Tel: (902) 464-8727

sexymamma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexymamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 6:51pm
Thanks Johnny!!!

this all is not easy to understand. So is there a way to find out when exatly this 6-year period started??

Is that part of your services?? What exactly do you do??

S.M>

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 8:10pm

Sexy,

The limitation period starts at the date of subrogation for government guaranteed loans. For the bank risk loans, the limitation period starts on the date of actual default.  

Look me up. I will explain all this in due process, and what I do.

John LeBlanc

polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2005 at 11:10pm

Originally posted by sexymamma sexymamma wrote:

Thanks Poly!! I kind of thought that ohers may appear. So what do you suggest to me?? What are you doing about your loans??

Weeeeelll...not much at the moment, lol!

Prior to discovering this forum, and subsequently receiving a letter of apology from the CIBC for screwing up my interest relief, I got a consumer proposal because I didn't think I had any other options...Kept the wolves from the door temporarily, but then I was laid off from my job last January and on EI...Still made payments, but got a month or two behind.

Then I made a crazy decision to get a life and moved to Holland to be with my fiance...I had nothing to lose and everything to gain: love, better job opportunities, and breathing space away from the collectors that would enable me to hold a job and not request stress leave due to the harassment...But as the Dutch Immigration Gods expect you to wait at least six months before they decide whether to allow you to stay and work, I had to default on the consumer proposal.

So I called Johnny, and he's helping me through all this until I'm back on my feet.

Poly

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
sexymamma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexymamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2005 at 10:32am
Hi Johnny,

I looked up your website....Since collecting agencies have not been able to find me, I do not really have any problems with them, but I would be interested to find out how and when it would be best for me to return to Canada. When did my limitation period start? Who and how much do I actually owe? What would happen if I got a job in Canada? etc.... Do your services include that kind of advising???

Thanks. S.
sexymamma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexymamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2005 at 10:41am
Hi Poly,

I do not think your decision to move to Holland was crazy at all. I think it was very brave. Certainly hope that you can get your immigration stuff figured out.

Are you planning to return to Canada at all?? Eventhough I like Europe (I was born here), I really miss Canada and would like to return to live there if I can find a way to figure out a way out of my mess.

Just this month I was back in B.C. for a visit. It was really nice.

How are things working out with Johnny's help for you??
Write soon.

S.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2005 at 2:56pm

Sexy,

Your problems are really not with any third-party sector. They are with the direct lender - and you need to know (if it interests you, of course) what the risks are associated with your indebtedness.

In these types of cases, the last thing you want to think is "what I don't know won't hurt me".  If there are risks, you need protection - and a way to build a relationship with your lenders so the risks, fear, potential stress, and all of many other taxing psychotoxic occurences come into play.

If you are able to repay your loans, you should. If youa re unable to pay your loans, then you need that protection, and ability to excercise your rights to be stress-free, safe, and happy. So, as long as your intentions are good, this is exactly what you will get from doing business with me.

Lastly, Yes. My services include the counsel and advice you require. The services I offer are not just for student loan crisis, collection agency interventions, or consumer debt crisis intervention. Stress management and over-all wellness is what it is all about.

John LeBlanc

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2005 at 2:58pm

Sexy,

Your problems are really not with any third-party sector. They are with the direct lender - and you need to know (if it interests you, of course) what the risks are associated with your indebtedness.

In these types of cases, the last thing you want to think is "what I don't know won't hurt me".  If there are risks, you need protection - and a way to build a relationship with your lenders so the risks, fear, potential stress, and all of many other taxing psychotoxic occurences will not come into play.

If you are able to repay your loans, you should. If youa re unable to pay your loans, then you need that protection, and ability to excercise your rights to be stress-free, safe, and happy. So, as long as your intentions are good, this is exactly what you will get from doing business with me.

Lastly, Yes. My services include the counsel and advice you require. The services I offer are not just for student loan crisis, collection agency interventions, or consumer debt crisis intervention. Stress management and over-all wellness is what it is all about. 

Sorry, I had to post this again because a word was left out.   

John LeBlanc

WantOut View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WantOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2005 at 4:28pm

Sexymamma:  All I can say is, call Johnny.  He's got me feeling like there IS light at the end of the tunnel, and like a ton is off my shoulders, and we just started on my problems about a week and a half ago.  Do yourself a favor and at least call to see if he can help you (and he can in most cases ..... ).

Good luck with all this!  We're all behind you!

In order to discover new lands, one must be willing to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.
Kath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/March/2005 at 10:23pm
I just wanted to say thanks, you guys are great!

Johnny, I'll be in touch very soon. Polly, good luck! I too would like to move back to Canada ...

Take care
Kath
polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2005 at 9:08am

Originally posted by sexymamma sexymamma wrote:

Hi Poly,

I do not think your decision to move to Holland was crazy at all. I think it was very brave. Certainly hope that you can get your immigration stuff figured out.

Are you planning to return to Canada at all?? Eventhough I like Europe (I was born here), I really miss Canada and would like to return to live there if I can find a way to figure out a way out of my mess.

Just this month I was back in B.C. for a visit. It was really nice.

How are things working out with Johnny's help for you??
Write soon.

S.

Hey, SM...Sorry I haven't replied until now...I was laid up with a bout of food poisoning for a few days (self-inflicted...what a bonehead )...

Thanks for the support! As for returning to Canada, my fiance and I decided to give it five years here before we decide to jump the pond or not...Not here Holland, necessarily -- we filed a formal complaint with the IND because they haven't even STARTED working on my application for my work permit yet after six freaking months, and don't get me started on the other new anti-immigration regulations they've passed in the last year to discourage people moving to Holland for relationships  -- we're looking into relocating to the UK. I have an ancestry visa, he is an EU citizen and we have friends in Northumberland and Scotland. My son wants to move to Europe too after he finishes CEGEP, so I may be here for good.

Never been west of Winterpeg myself...My family is spread out from Toronto to Montreal...The east coast intrigues me the most because of its cultural similarities with Scotland and Ireland I think...My fiance is a musician with a deep love of traditional music, so I think we'd fit there nicely...My parents have offered to sponsor him if I can't because of these stoopid loans, so we'll see...

Poly

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12