This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedJust had to say something

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lost Soul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just had to say something
    Posted: 26/January/2005 at 7:06am
Hello to everyone,

I’m new and I’ve been reading several of these posts over the past few months.
First, I’d like to thank everyone who dares to comment on these posts. It’s nice to see that we are not alone in this mess although I would definitely prefer being the only one rather than seeing all these poor souls and families being destroyed by our own systems. (Well supposed to be ours anyway…..)

I won’t elaborate on my mess because from everything I have read “THERE’S BASICALLY NO HOPE!!! I know my vision may seem limited but it isn’t half of what I feel or am face with.

The reason for my post;

I have a few questions/comments.
1- What’s the point?

From what I have read,
     -If you have student loans in default, most of us don’t qualify for the current help or programs.
     -If you pay partial payments or wait until the 10 years are over, you are still not guaranteed to be discharged. So, basically, no matter your good intention and all the cutting back on your life and you families, this Joe Blow behind a desk still gets to look at you and say “sorry but NO and here is your life sentence”.
     -If you make a proposal and follow it to the letter but all of a sudden you experience difficulties… you’re still back to nothing. If anyone knows trouble….we all know that it is bound to happen again whether you like it or not.

2- Who do we trust?

From what I have read;
Most people on these posts have been mislead, been lied to and have been provided false or inaccurate information from banks, CA, the Gov., the Counsellors and the trustees.
-If we try to find an option for our bigger than life problems because of our already poor sense of judgement that led us to this problem, how can we start anything if there is a possibility of putting ourselves in an even bigger mess than we are already faced with.

I have many other points/comments/questions but I think I have been negative enough for today. I apologize if my post is not very eloquent or inspiring but hopefully someday I may see the light.

In conclusion, I have read many post that mention moral obligations and ethics concerning our obligation to the loans. Well, personally, I think that if most of us were given an equal opportunity to fight for our rights has our counterparts do when filling for consumer debts. We, the people who are considered the “black sheep” of our society, might be more inclined to do “something” rather than nothing if it meant reducing our life sentence. Furthermore, it would also make quite a difference if those of us who got manipulated by these so-called representatives of our society who are supposed to guide us the right directions would be forced to face their actions.

As the last note;

Most of us applying for student loans do so in the hope of making our future life better for us and our families. I am sure that if we had known that there was a possibility of a life sentence at the end, we would never have signed the first document.

I know that this may not make sense to some considering I have not elaborated on my situation but I just had to say “something”.

Best of luck to all of you!
The Black sheep
Sponsored Links

silence2long View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silence2long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2005 at 7:55am

Welcome Lost Soul

I understand all to well what you are saying.....sometimes it is very hard to navigate in this site.... you read a post and would like to respond only to find that the person was here 6 months ago.  So you read another thread....it is overwhelming and depressing....try making a folder and cutting and pasting the good stuff.

Anyways not sure if you read this one last night.... but it was good for my soul.....thanks again Wren.....  http://canadastudentdebt.ca/forum_posts.asp?TID=2085

I went to bed after that and even though this awaited me today..... I know that I am older now and it is possible to shine the light on it.... once I find it in my power to pay for it.... I almost think that would be a better way to spend my $$$$. 

Exposure.....Exposure.....Exposure

I know things have changed since I was in school the first time.... but probably not much from the sounds of it.

There are some very informative threads on here !!!!  Try a search... the info is leading me to other sites that I would not have went to otherwise...

silence is a form of fear...fear of the unknown...has kept me silent too long
Hunter2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2005 at 8:53am
Lost Soul
I feel the same way. As I flounder about for solutions there have been ideas I have had that are likely to make it worse(going back to school to get my masters, hiding out, allowing my self to fall into a depression again, working nights and weekends thus ensuring I never see my children again, ect ect), I have come across plans that I am not able to do (like leaving the country, like finding money where it does not exist(my relatives don't have any!!!). It is so pathetic to think that as we work to pay off a tiny portion of debt every year that there will never be any relief via forgiveness or amnesty or bankruptcy.

But there are many heartening tales of people who have managed their debt, managed to escape the crap that the CA's/Banks/Gov't have put them through, and those who have just learned to deal with all the bullsh*t and still come out smiling at the end of the day. There is more than one way of handling this and there are many people on this board who have. Islander, Hunter, Momof2, Poly, Wren, Tangtori...they have all managed this(or are trying to ) using a variety of approaches.

There will be a way of dealing with this that will fit you whether its by contacting Johnny, teaching English in another country, paying off less than the interest every month until the money or job situation improves. Maybe..just maybe the gov't will wise up and offer some sort of relief or forgivness for students who truly cannot afford their debt and have been attempting to pay it off for years!!!!

I may be paying this off at 100 dollars a month until after I am dead!!In the end what can they really do? I do not currently work and will not be able to for a few years. My husband will not be held responsible for my debt(not that he makes enough anyway!!) So for now I am going to babysit and and see if I can make a dent in it(it won't be much of one since I owe 100 000)

I love my family, my husband, my dogs :) They cannot get something from nothing and perhaps in the meantime things will change.

Good Luck and search about for a solution fits you and your needs!
kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2005 at 9:21am

LostSoul,

Very valid points!!  I really like what Hunter2 said about searching for a solution that fits you and your needs. 

Some of us are more comfortable dealing with the CAs than others...some are not in a position to deal with them financially and feel forced to deal with them which brings mental stress and anguish! 

You do what is going to be best for you!!!  Try to keep your spirits high!

hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2005 at 9:25am
Lost Soul

I sense your frustration, as I have been there and I am still going through the student loan mess. I spent far too much time being threatened, harassed, and scared of what could be done to me as financially I was not able to pay anything on my student loans for years. I wanted to, but was not able to.

Things for me still are not much better financially.
But at least I am making some kind of an effort. When I pay HRDC $ 50 each month, this does not even cover the interest. Yes, it upsets me, that I have to go without something each month, knowing that not even the interest is being paid, but such is life.
I don't like it, but I have to accept it.

And each year when I have my taxes completed, sometimes I get a small cheque, or I should say HRDC gets a small cheque. The same goes with the GST, HRDC gets it. I do feel somewhat comforted knowing that more money goes towards my loans, or the interest that is. But again, that is life.

But I know that it is all that I can pay, and I know that it is not enough for HRDC. But for now, it is the best that I can do. Sure if my financial situation changes such as I win the lottery or marry a rich man, or find a sugar daddy this will change.

Since this website has been created, I have learned a wealth of knowledge. I wish I would have found it sooner. I personally feel better emotionally knowing
that I am not alone in this mess, and the support from everyone has been my strength, not to forget about Mark and Johnny's knowledge and support, which has been awesome.

I know that I am doing all that I can, it is the best that I can do right now, and I am ok with that.
I have accepted it.
I am not going to beat myself up, because of my past.

Lost Soul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2005 at 10:28am
I’d like to thank all of you for your replies.

I appreciate the words of encouragement. Unfortunately, I have read almost every post on this website and I don’t seem to fall under any category that might help me on a relatively reasonable time frame. Also, as far as depression goes, well I am there already and have been there for way to long…..

I do have a few other comments about your replies but for now I’ll stop and gather my thoughts because as I am writing I’m realizing how negative I may sound.

So, for now in order not to totally depress everyone, I’ll just say Congrats and Good Luck to those who have attempted to deal with this monster….and a big thank you again!!!
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2005 at 7:23pm

We are here for you, Lost Soul.

Take courage.

Courage = mastery of fear, resistance to fear - but not absense of fear. Try to put your troubles in your pocket ... the one with the hole in it

If you need any help, let me know. Or, stay close to people onthe site!

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Casey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2005 at 9:44pm
Hi Lost Soul,

Very well put, I couldn't have said it better! I too feel much the same way.. I am lost but not forgotten, even though I have no money, the government is still after me..  

I've been in this SL situation for around 14 years. At 56 and no work there's not much that I can do.  There doesn't seem to be much hope..

Hang in there, your in good company here!

Casey . .
nago View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2005 at 10:49pm
I feel the same way

When i went to unversity i had a criminal record so iam not even allowed to work in any field

I dont see how i can pay my loans unless i get a decent job> Im still getting the run around after 5 years. Dead end jobs wont hire me cause Im overqualified. Professional jobs wont hire me because of my lack of experience. But how do i get experience when im not allowed to ? 

After five years I think i have it figured out

Im getting the run around because there are no jobs. Its all lies. Go here and get and education. Get good grades and you'll get practicuums. Suck up to your profs and TA's. Volunteer.

Ok i did it all---even waited 4 years for a pardon.

I started the journey at 23 and by 27 i had saved 20k for school. If im lucky by the time im 60 my bankruptcy will be off my record so i can start a new life.

http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2sn9.jpg
Lost Soul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2005 at 5:58am
Thank you! Nago.

I know how you feel. I have been through similar situations. But gratefully, I currently have a half-decent job now but god knows for how long due to recent events.

Let me give you a LITTLE view of what I am faced with at the moment (Student Loans aside).
-About four months ago, I was living with this roommate (well basically, we were two families sharing an apt. because alone it was just too difficult. During one weekend I ended up meeting this woman, spent the whole weekend with her and felt great for the first time since…..After the weekend I went home, started talking to the roommate about the weekend but then the sh*t it the fan. It turns out she had feelings for me….A few days after, I return home to find the door locks changed. I’m on the street with no money, no friends or family to help. At this point I’m “freaking out”, no place to go, What about my job?......Tried talking to Police and to the Landlord but was told I had NO CHOICE and there was nothing I or they could do.
I ended up having the doctor putting off work because of STRESS. Went back to my home town with my son (because of my credit I couldn’t even get a reasonable apt. here), hoping to fix my life, maybe get help from former friends and family but with no luck. Ended up having to leave my son with his mother(which she is a lost case if I might say so myself, believe me) and I also had to put my 7 year old Rottweiller to sleep because I had no place for myself or my son let alone for such a huge dog.

-Now, I am back at work but unfortunately because of my leaving, my job security which was not that great before is even worst now. During my time in my home town, I tried to find other work which would bring me closer to my home town but with no luck. Now last week I received a letter for a hearing because the Landlord where I used to live figures that I should pay for the remainder of my year contract (which would be approx. $7500.00).

I might be wrong, but as far as I am concerned the first day I was left on the street was the end of my contract with them. I can’t see where anyone can tell me that I still have to pay for a service that was clearly not provided.

Anyway, I apologize for being off the subject but I had to give a little example of how this Student loan affected my life and my son’s just lately.

I know I have my share of blame but do we really need to be punished for life, I mean come on, even a murderer doesn’t get punished for that long.

I strongly hope that changes are to come soon to give all of us a little breathing room, maybe a chance at a half-decent future because for now it looks very hopeless.

I think that if CA’s and whoever makes the policies on these loans had half of a brain they would give people a chance to fix these problems because has of today I think that most people who don’t pay on their loan by choice is usually because all their attempts at making any kind of payment was met from the CA’s with: the amount is insufficient, that won’t be enough and the famous “YOU HAVE NO CHOICE”. When faced with such responses when attempting to make good on your loan, what choices do you really have….It’s either commit a crime to find the money they request or don’t pay…

As a last note, I hope I am not insulting or boring people too much. I usually am not the writer in the family but for some reason I can’t seem to shut up…..HAHAHA..

Best of luck to all of you.
The Black sheep

p.s. Johnny, I read your post concerning the 60K expense. I think there is really something wrong somewhere when fighting for your RIGHTS cost 60K or anything for that matter because if fighting for our RIGHTS has a $ value then most of us in financial difficulty might as well give up because most of us will never see that kind of money for the rest of our lives.

Another thing Johnny, yes I do need help but the only way anyone could understand my situation or the way I feel about it would be to hear my whole story and let me tell you it’s quite long and I can’t explain it all here.

Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply