This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedstudent loans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
momk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2005 at 11:53am
Hi miss3. well twice i have gone toNCS to have my GST cheque given back to me and I had to prove to them that I was in hardship. I had to send them a light bill that was overdue, which was no problem when you live below the poverty line.With all the questionnaires that i filled out and filled my income tax they should be able to see that there was no money. oh I forgot these people don't know how to read they are just puppets on a string.Well I will be damed if they are getting my little bit of money. If they want a fight well a fight they will get
Sponsored Links

kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2005 at 11:57am

You go, Momk.....!!

Puppets on a string...exactly....and to think that these people have the infuence to ruin us....makes me sick  

Momk--keep us updated--and Good Luck!!

miss3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2005 at 4:30pm

I know exactly what you mean Momk.  It's true that they should know, and we all know that they know, but my theory is that they give us a hard time in the hopes that we'll give up.  And many do indeed give up and some of us don't know and so they do manage to force a payment out of someone's low income. 

They were going to take my refund - just over $1000 - peanuts to them, but it meant a great deal to us.  We have no health care plans to which most people tell me "but you live in Canada - you have health plans."  What good is free medical check ups, emergency visits, etc... if you can't pay for the treatment (ie. medecine,)?  My mom is a diabetic, she's on a disability pension and her insulin is covered, but not the needle.  At one point an unforeseen emergency left her with no money to buy her needles so she went without for a few days.  I suggested she go to the hospital (the M.P., the M.P.P., the papers, anywhere) with her insulin and ask them how she's supposed to get the insulin into her body.  But mom isn't one to make noise.  (Sorry for the little rant, just had to get it off my chest.)

I'm glad to hear that you will keep up the fight.  If enough people make noise maybe we'll get heard.

kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2005 at 5:34pm

miss3, that's right...we can not give up!!  That is good advice

Don't feel bad if you need to rant!  Rant on...better that than keep it inside and let it boil up....

silence2long View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silence2long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2005 at 5:57pm

Glad to hear that you have it worked out for the tax return....

We all need to say how we feel.. about all these wonderful little policies.... insulin... but no needles.. that is unbelieveable... miss3.

Reminds me of my mom talking about her trillium plan... it is based on last years income.. not current years... so if you made more last year you pay a higher percentage for this years drugs... does not consider that this year when the money crunch is on... you might need a little relief on the drugs... again this is bizarre.  Yes it all ends up working out in the long run... but not when you really need it.

silence is a form of fear...fear of the unknown...has kept me silent too long
momk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2005 at 11:52am
Hi an up date:    Just got off the phone with nco where they were looking into getting my dept forgivenYea right. Well i have been filling in those dam questionnaires everytime they sent one for the last four years and it proves that i have no money but guys this is where they get you.IT HAS TO BE EVERY SIX MONTHS  ON THE NOSE NOT SEVEN OR EIGHT SIX AND ONLY SIX.So what they do is send out the forms just when the six months is up and now when you sent it in it is passed the cut off time{dammed assholes} Sorry my turn to be in a mood. I was still very nice on the phone when i was talking to her.So now she tells me fill out an other questionnaire and send in all the prove plus this time write a letter telling why I want my loan forgiven.Well Duh I have not been able to pay it in 10 years  and i am living below the poverty line but that does not matter just as long as i pay them off.my god some people can be so stupid{that's the government for you}Well baby they want a letter they are going to get a letter.
kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2005 at 3:16pm

Momk, I deal with NCO as well!  What a treat, eh !  Funny, they don't send me any financial forms--yet, then again, they are collecting on my bank risk portion.  It's hard to remain polite sometimes!  They definitely know how to get under one's skin .  I tell ya....I had some good practice with Nordon before my file was passed onto NCO.

When I was dealing with Total Credit Recovery for the crown portion of my CSL, one of the beauties was right braindead.  I explained that I had sent the financial form in with all the proof they wanted and she still asked questions that were easily answered with the info. on the forms....so I asked her...Did you review the forms I sent you?  Everything is on them!  She says, those things don't matter anyway.  I thought to myself...then why the He** am I wasting my time with this!  It doesn't matter to them, but it does matter to the HRDC.  And even better--I called and asked if they had received my financial form and another air head says...oh, they must not have received it...some peoples' payments were lost this month.  I was like ....some peoples' payments were lost this month--is she kidding me??  The lies that these people tell are enormous.  So i looked through my paperwork and found a letter stating they had been in receipt of my FIF....I phoned her back in about 10 minutes and quoted to her the letter and her brilliant words were...hmmmm...they must not have updated the notes.  You think???    I felt pretty good that day...catching her in one of her lies!!!!  I just wish I had that being taped.....but, that was before I knew any better.

masy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2005 at 5:30am

Momk, good for you for not letting them suck the life out of you. I hope you do get the loan forgiven. If your collection agent says that they forgave the loan, make sure that is true by contacting HRDC. Don't take collections word for ANYTHING.

The fact that you are on assistance clearly proves financial hardship, so, as they say in Nfld (I'm from there too): No matter how hard you try, you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.

momk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2005 at 6:59am
Hi the first thing this little lady is going to do is to write a letter to HRDC asking for my depts to be forgiven and then I am going to send a letter to NCO imforming them that I have asked for my loan to be forgiven. I am not leaving it up to the NCO to do it for me like they want to for if I am right they will come back and tell me that HRDC rejected my application for dept relief and there for I will  still have to pay. So I will be handling all of my letters and I will let HRDC just how bad my situation is. I will included my husbands income{assistance payments} and they will be told his health problems{chron's}.I will given them so much information and sad story that they will want to pay me.{wishful thinking, but we can dream}So they will have no choice in releiving me of my dept. one question:do I have to tell them that I have a credit card.Not alot of credit limited but it helps from month to month to feed a family of four.
momk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2005 at 9:07am
Hi forgot to ask a question: if you apply for  loan forgiveness and you have a disabillity do you have to send them letters fron the doctor to prove that you are incapeable of working.What makes me the maddest the people that I owe the loan to are the people give me the money every month, so ya think that they would get thier head out of thier ass do their jobs right.Man if i could only have them by their b...s I would make them squirm for awhile just like they do to all of use.Sorry Momk is in a mood and they are the reason for the more you sit and think about what they do to people the more pissed... off you get.Must go get some fresh air for have had enough of this sh*t. Talk later
momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2005 at 11:07am
yes you have to submit medical reports etc to document your claim.  and if they dont' think you are disabled enough they will reject your claim.
professionals built the titanic but amateurs built the ark...
Newfie Girl 78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newfie Girl 78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/June/2006 at 5:39pm
I was wondering that i recently got a house due to paying more for rent that what a mortage would cost. I could not do this myself my mother co-signed for me and she has good credit. I am a single mom of 2 children ans is working, but of couse only relying on one income it is very difficult. I have my federal student loan that went into collection on nov.2, 2001. I heard that once 6 years are up this is written off.  I also live in Newfoundland.They have asked for settlement of 4000.00 on the whole loan of 8000.00. Since december of 2004 i have been making steady payments of 25.00/month. They called me the other day and stated that i would either pay in full or go for the settlement, i could pay 25.00 for 6 months but they stated that they would not offer the settlement again and that once the 6 months is up that i would have to pay the loan in full, or they will garnish my wages, put a judgement and a lean on me or even possible sue.
I am afraid that they will take my house are they able to do this? Should i pay the payments or will it be written off in this comming november when it has been in collection for 6 years.
phobos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phobos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/September/2006 at 11:00pm
So if Revenue canada is garnishing my Income tax return, can collection agencies still bug me for money? 

whats the skinny on this?
Buff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2006 at 10:45am

Yes they can, and they usually will bug you about it until it's paid in full.

Buff

Gina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2007 at 5:35am
I have few questions? If anybody is interested in answering them.

I have been paying for my student loans for the past 9 years. I have been giving a minumum payment of 40 to 50 dollars month. They have come down a bit. I have been dealing with NCO financial Service.
 I have had times were I've had to argue with them, demanding payment in full. Just recently i had a girl from there calling me and harrassing me. I told her i would send in more chequues, but all of sudden i recieved a threatening letter delivered to my work of employment. Demanding me in full payment. Solicitor something it stated. So i ended up calling NCO and talking Management. I didn't approve of girls tactics she was using on me. I told him that i would work with him, but not that girl. So my questions is?

He sent me a budget form to fill out and should i fill out this budget form out and give them all that info or will they use it all against me?

Or should I continue to send my cheques and shut them up for while again?

The other thing i have found is that when i go to deal credit checks, these loans are not on there.
Dada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2007 at 9:50am
I have a student loan that was sent back to the federal depart in 2005 and during the year 2006 one collection agency ARO claimed that i need to pay them 2500 for the intrest on the student which was $1300, which i settled the payment for $150/month after 2 months they ask another guy, which asked me to pay off right a way, harass me on the phone non-stop, forced me to borrow money from wells fargo with intrests rate 32%, each month i need to pay $100 for that loan, since that they didnt call me, i thought nightmare is over, In march 2007, another collection company COLLECTCOM CREIT called me again said that my student loan is due, and forced me the last $175 from my salary each month to pay them back, after i pay for 2 months, they asked for auto transfer from the back, then i ask them to sent me a copy of the statement which i am paying the right account or place, make sure this is not a scam, but they refuse to, and threaten me that they will take 33% of my pay cheque every time, ever since then they keep calling my work place to harass me. Today my manager picks up the phone and the collection agency talked in a rude tone and harass my manager too, thanks to that phone call, i now unemployed, i wonder what i can do. Please can anyone help me? And can they really allow to take money from my pay cheque?
frustrated-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frustrated-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2007 at 10:31am
Hey Dada,

Hang in there, sounds like a rough day.

It is my understanding that the collectors can not take money from your pay cheque without a court order.   Thus the the collector was lying to you, trying to freak you out.

I think you should file a complaint against the collection agency with the provincial regulating agency.   The collector has been harassing you.

The collector should not get away with this.  Harassing your boss resulting the loss of your job is just wrong.   

I would call Johnny, at CFW group, I am sure he would have some advice.

Is there any chance your boss may let you keep your job?

Good Luck, please keep us all informed and talk to Johnny

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2007 at 10:38am
Try to talk to your boss.. show them the studentloanfairness.ca website... ask for some understanding.

Document all the things that happened and then go talk to a legal aid office. You may have grounds for suing the collection agency for harassment.
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
Dada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2007 at 5:28pm
Thanks for the advices, does anyone know Jonny's email, or phone number, suffering from osap is a terrible nightmare
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/May/2007 at 3:34am
www.cfwgroup.ca
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>