This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedstudent loans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
celtic73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtic73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/May/2007 at 11:26am
Hey..i worked for NCO for few years collections what a brutal place...best day of my life was when i finally quit...could sit here and talk about horror stories for hours from that place..Dead
Sponsored Links

kpuddicombe56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kpuddicombe56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/May/2007 at 6:23am
hi;

This is regarding all of the people who have student loans that the gov't are forcing peoples wages to come out of their paycheques, I personally dont think that they can do that because people need that money to survive on, I myself am on social assistance so I know where you are alll coming from. I have a two year old son that I raise by myself and if the gov't were to do that I wouldnt have barely little to feed my son with , I owe about 40,000.00 and the interest keeps on growing on that. I think that when people sign for a loan I think that there should be more information given to clients before they gets into signing a loan. Because I have found over 6 years that when I go to get a loan or credit card that it comes back and says that they regret that they cant process the application form. As far as I am concerned student loans damages peoples credits for life. And to have these collection agencies calling and harrasing is not good enough and probably telling mothers or fathers or etc when ar e they going to work also damages someones self-esteem .I think that  tuition should be free. Or the collection agencies should be willing to help out their clients to get them back on track with their credit instead of making them feel bad about the loan that they took out...
kimberly Puddicombe
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2007 at 7:09am
It is not only the lack of information, it is the location and language of this information. Most find the system confusing than helpful. Others say that the information provided does not matter because even if they follow it - they still end up in an unfortunate situation due to systemic incompetancies.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
krazybeaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazybeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/November/2007 at 6:31pm
i got a student loan in NB in september 2001 and since i quit before the year was over; i was told the loan became payable on the day i received it. now i never made a payment on it nor have i aknowledge it as i was always working minimum wage jobs or not working at all. it's been over 6 years now but they still have a lien on my income tax return but not my gst. i did file my taxes 2 years ago and the lien on my taxes got all the money i was getting from my income tax return. does that count as a payment and restart the 6 year statute of limitations? i just want to be able to fill my taxes so i can get healthcare and see a doctor. this lien on my taxes is killing me slowly! i am in no shape to pay it.. can someone please help with any information. thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazybeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/November/2007 at 6:39pm
it's been over 6 years and i'm wondering if i have to do something to get them to take the lien off my taxes or will it ever come off? i just need to file my taxes so i can prove i don't make much money so i can get healthcare . also, i would like to look at my credit report but i am scared that would trigger someone or something. any advice is always appreciated!
Ottawa Gal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ottawa Gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2007 at 11:01am
the second they locate you, they get 6 more years to get you to pay.......that is their legal right

you might be better off to take the hit......depends how much you owe and how much you want to clear your name

changing names won't help ........as its public information and they can obtain it...........in case you're thinking of doing so

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazybeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2007 at 4:19pm
they only get another 6 years if you send a payment or aknowledge that you owe the debt by sigining a paper saying so..
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ottawa Gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2007 at 10:24pm
i am confused krazybear......did you not state you had a lien on your taxes re student loans?  if so, is that not based on having acknowledged the debt or are you saying after they re-locate you after 6 years of no contat, you must acknowledge the debt once again if they locate the debtor?  haven't had a chance to go back to the legislation to check this out, but i will when i have a moment........

it seems to me that if one acknowledges the debt once, that's all that is needed....though as i said, i haven't checked the law on it

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/November/2007 at 4:12pm

Limitations are based on the acknowledgment factor, and the prescribed period of time whereas the loan provider has to recover the money owed. Simply locating a debtor does not constitute as an acknowledgment. Acknowledgment is very clear in the CSLFA. I have cited it in many posts. You can use the search engine onthe site.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazybeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/November/2007 at 4:21pm
johnny: so it's been over 6 years since my loan became due and i've never made a single payment or signed any forms. what can i do to remove the lien my student loan has on my taxes? i really need to do my taxes so i can get my healthcare and i can't afford to let the student loan take my tax return as i don't make much money.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ottawa Gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/November/2007 at 10:36pm
yeah well, johnny, that doesn't answer my question.......for a lien to be placed on krazybear's taxes, it seems to me there had already been an acknowledgement............ in any case, they ARE collecting student loan money from krazybear, from what i can make out, so the point is moot as they could not do that without first having had an acknowledgement

since there has been some activity and continues to be collection activity, (seizing her of his taxes)  is it not false to say they have not been able to collect in the last 6 years? .......

i wasn't confused about the ackknowledgement issue per se, i am wondering if once they have not located you (and you have or have not acknowledged the debt during the first 6 years)  does everything start over, i.e., do they need a new acknowledgement to pursue you for the 2nd 6 year timeframe?
Bateman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bateman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 5:40am
Quote it's been over 6 years and i'm wondering if i have to do something to get them to take the lien off my taxes or will it ever come off? i just need to file my taxes so i can prove i don't make much money so i can get healthcare . also, i would like to look at my credit report but i am scared that would trigger someone or something. any advice is always appreciated!

I just recently requested my credit report and received it. Nothing happened. No one contacted me. The student loans were not even on the Equifax report.

My understanding of the lien aspect is that they are done by the provincial loan. There is no SOL in Ontario so the lien stays in perpetuity until the provincial loan is paid. Not sure if there is a SOL on the provincial loan in your province.

I'm not sure why you need to file income taxes to get health care? My response to the lien was to stop filing taxes and I still have health care. There is no legal obligation to file income taxes if you don't owe any tax. Your access to health care is a function of being a resident of your province.
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 7:03am
"There is no legal obligation to file income taxes if you don't owe any tax."

I'd check into that... not sure if thats correct. Also you might want to file to get your GST rebate... and have it on file that you didnt earn anything as opposed to the CRA thinking that you did but didnt file!
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazybeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 7:10am
in BC, you need to file your taxes to prove your income . if you don't; they charge you 54$ a month but since i make less than 20,000$ per year, if i did my taxes, they would give me free healthcare.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazybeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 7:13am
is there a SOL in NB for student loans? i'm not sure if it was the provincial or federal loan...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 7:37am
The government does not need an acknowledgment to gaff tax rebates. If you read into the legislation it clearly states that the govenrment, at any time, can seize money owed to a borrower in default at any any time. In layman's the act says - "you may not have to pay us money you owe us after a certain period of time. However, we do not have to pay you monies we would normally owe you in right of her majesty the queen". There are some loans that are statute barred that still have the lien ancored - and there are some that do not. Each case is unique.
Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 7:39am
I suspect in Bateman;s case, this is an Ontario student loan issue whereas the federal set-off program is set up.

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazybeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 7:43am
my loan is in NB but the collection agency that was trying to get me to pay the lien on my taxes is in Ontario.
Bateman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bateman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 8:43am
Quote in BC, you need to file your taxes to prove your income . if you don't; they charge you 54$ a month but since i make less than 20,000$ per year, if i did my taxes, they would give me free healthcare.

I didn't know that but I double checked and there doesn't seem to be an alternative route for income verification so it does look like you need to file your taxes or pay the premiums.

Your fear is that if they confiscate your tax refund that payment will constitute acknowledgement?

I'm having trouble understanding the reason you are reluctant to file your income tax.
Bateman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bateman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 9:34am
Quote I'd check into that... not sure if thats correct. Also you might want to file to get your GST rebate... and have it on file that you didnt earn anything as opposed to the CRA thinking that you did but didnt file! 

I'm positive. Tax law was one of my specialities. I'd only have to file a return if I owed tax or was requested to do so by CRA.

I would get GST Rebates and about $1200 in Ontario Rental Credits if I filed but that would all be seized anyway so there is no reason to bother filing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>