This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedstudent loans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
icemaiden129 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icemaiden129 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/April/2008 at 11:54am

If you really want to know where your OSL went call the CMU at 1-800-387-5604. They can give you the contact information that you need.

good luck
Sponsored Links

funnygirl101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funnygirl101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2008 at 5:39am
I had a loan out of new brunswick 22 years ago... and yes.. believe it or not they are still hounding me, and I hired John Leblanc two years ago to wipe that off my credit report.

It is not on my credit report, but lo and behold, I get a letter stating I still owe them, even though I hadn't paid them anything in 8 years.  (other than their taking my GST cheques)

I've since written to John Leblanc again to assist me, they don't even follow their own Act on this stuff.. it clearly states that without the payee making acknowledgement of the debt for 6 years, they CANNOT attempt to recover (i.e. they are to write it off).

I've been on the phone for 4 hours today trying to deal with this mess, while on sick leave.  The problem was that the National Student Loans Centre couldn't help me because my loan was from the maritimes, but when I moved to Ontario, they hired a collection agency (which is why it was on my credit report) and I never gave them any money, so they had to remove it.

The address on the letter sent to me is:

Government of Canada
Ottawa Technology Centre
Revenue Collections
875 Heron Road, 6th Floor
Ottawa, ON
K1A 1A2

toll free:  1866-336-7565
Fax:  613-952-2754
Other:  1-866-336-7566

when I contacted the toll-free number, those people are only the "call centre" and they say that they will email a "ticket" to the legal department.  She said she had no phone numbers, names, fax numbers or anything else to provide to me, i guess their Legal Department doesn't have phones, etc.  What BS !  And we as taxpayers are paying for that crap!

Good luck to all in their quest to rid ourselves of the hated Canada Student Loans.

cheers  Wink
mr.o View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/April/2008 at 2:02am
Hi funnygirl.
This situation is so similar to mine including the province and time frame.The only thing different is that I get my gst checks,but only because I make so little money.They would surely take my income tax if I made more. I cannot fathom being retirement age and still having them take money from me.....something HAS to change here...in fairness. I would be happy if you could provide any updates to your quest.I wish you the best!

Originally posted by funnygirl101 funnygirl101 wrote:

I had a loan out of new brunswick 22 years ago... and yes.. believe it or not they are still hounding me, and I hired John Leblanc two years ago to wipe that off my credit report.

It is not on my credit report, but lo and behold, I get a letter stating I still owe them, even though I hadn't paid them anything in 8 years.  (other than their taking my GST cheques)

I've since written to John Leblanc again to assist me, they don't even follow their own Act on this stuff.. it clearly states that without the payee making acknowledgement of the debt for 6 years, they CANNOT attempt to recover (i.e. they are to write it off).

I've been on the phone for 4 hours today trying to deal with this mess, while on sick leave.  The problem was that the National Student Loans Centre couldn't help me because my loan was from the maritimes, but when I moved to Ontario, they hired a collection agency (which is why it was on my credit report) and I never gave them any money, so they had to remove it.

Government of Canada
Ottawa Technology Centre
Revenue Collections
Ottawa, ON
K1A 1A2

when I contacted the toll-free number, those people are only the "call centre" and they say that they will email a "ticket" to the legal department.  She said she had no phone numbers, names, fax numbers or anything else to provide to me, i guess their Legal Department doesn't have phones, etc.  What BS !  And we as taxpayers are paying for that crap!

Good luck to all in their quest to rid ourselves of the hated Canada Student Loans.

cheers  Wink

funnygirl101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funnygirl101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2008 at 2:23am
Originally posted by mr.o mr.o wrote:

Hi funnygirl.
This situation is so similar to mine including the province and time frame.The only thing different is that I get my gst checks,but only because I make so little money.They would surely take my income tax if I made more. I cannot fathom being retirement age and still having them take money from me.....something HAS to change here...in fairness. I would be happy if you could provide any updates to your quest.I wish you the best!

Originally posted by funnygirl101 funnygirl101 wrote:

Government of Canada
Ottawa Technology Centre
Revenue Collections
Ottawa, ON
K1A 1A2

cheers  Wink

Hi MrO - I will keep you posted, as I indicated, I have contacted John again to seek his advice !  cheers to you !Tongue
scribblet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scribblet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2008 at 6:19am
Hi:  hope this is the right forum.  
A young relative just phoned me to say that both her earnings and her husbands earnings were seized from their joint bank account by Ontario student loans and left with $200.00 to pay rent food etc. etc.  They both have their paycheques deposited to the joint account.

She has been working with a financial org. to arrange payments etc. so was not expecting this.   Can they raid your joint bank account and take both pay cheques (less a small amount).  I know they can take income tax refunds but this?

thanks
cayt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2008 at 5:34am
Tell your relatives to switch banks immediately.  From what I understand if the student loans collection agencies have the banking information they will go ahead and withdraw the funds.  Unfortunately this seems to be a trend from what I have read in the forums.
Katrina_+ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katrina_+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2008 at 8:00am

The joint bank account information must have been used when the relative applied for the Ontario Student loan and then got the loan.  Unfortuneately, the bank who gave the loan will also take money.  I'm sure it's in the fine print somewhere in the loan contract.

I would do as cayt has suggested and have the relatives go to a different financial institution to have their paycheques deposited there!
**Formerly known as "kwelmm"** You never know what life has in store. I was silly enough to think I did! It's all good! Life goes on!
old hippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old hippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2008 at 9:31am
It's not just student loan collectors that can raid your bank account, as I found out many years ago...much to my surprise -  when I went to withdraw my grocery money and it wasn't there.  I refused to leave the bank until they gave it back...but that's another story.  The bank had a "deal" worked out with one of their clients. 

Yes, switch banks.

kim e. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim e. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2008 at 11:46am
hi, i was wonder what stats barr meant exactly?
thanks,
kim
esperansa1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esperansa1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2009 at 6:32am
Hey  I am really confused now.  I had Total Credit recovery call me and now they are going to send me a questionnaire.  I have not received it yet and am confused on if I should fill it out or not.  I wrote a post on my situation but no one has answered yet.  I am a single mom. I have a debt for about 9000 from a student loan that was a bad choice.  They sent me a letter telling me they will start taking all my income tax refunds.  I don't want to go bankrupt but am scared to deal with the total recovery agents?

Please help.
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2009 at 6:33am
If you want help, call us. bankruptcy would certainly be far more expensiveand less effective.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
misscadets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misscadets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2009 at 9:20am
Maybe someone can clarify this for me as to why this happened - cause after almost a year of trying to contact CBV regarding my Ontario Student Loan (which was paid off last year), I found out this interesting bit....

(background)
I have been trying for almost a year to contact CBV Collections to get a 'letter of release' or what ever it is called - as I have paid the loan out in full and definately want proof. Well, I thought I had paid it in full. Again, I send an email. I received a phone call today from CBV (excellent service by this one particular rep - amazingly enough) saying I still showed a balance of just under $60.00 on the account!!  WHAT??  I was dumfounded!!  So, to get this letter I have to pay off this pathetic little amount - which is probably the interest accrued from some $0.50 owing....to get my stupid, but much needed letter. No choice, I paid it.

Now someone please explain why the he!! they didn't tell me this in the first place - last year??  (I understand they want any money they can get their hands on, but come on)  So instead of me showing that the loan was paid in full as of last year, it will now show this year....I find that very unfair and unreasonable....
Miss Cadets :)
yael View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2009 at 4:35pm
Going to college is a dream that many parents have for their children. This dream however is an expensive one.
Borrowing money for college is a big responsibility but college remains a smart investment for obtaining a satisfying career that earns a competitive salary.
How I wish things will be easy. Cry
sucker for loan modification
fedup1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fedup1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2009 at 8:31am
Hi Johnny,

I'm a bit confused. I recently got a tax assessment saying they were transfering my refund to Canada Student loans, however, they also are taking off for Ontario Student Loan. I haven't had a OSAP loan for more than 10 years. Nordon Collection told me there is no statue of limitations for crown debt. It's not on my equifax report. Is this what you mean as above, that it is off my credit history but that the government can still collect? For how long? I am currently on EI, so can I claim financial hardship?
JT_Toronto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JT_Toronto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2009 at 9:33am
Originally posted by yael yael wrote:

Going to college is a dream that many parents have for their children. This dream however is an expensive one.
Borrowing money for college is a big responsibility but college remains a smart investment for obtaining a satisfying career that earns a competitive salary.
How I wish things will be easy. Cry

It might be a dream but so is playing in the NHL or being a rock star but while we have no problem telling people the latter is unrealistic we encourage too many people to go to university -- many of which have no business going.
JT_Toronto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JT_Toronto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2009 at 9:35am
Originally posted by fedup1000 fedup1000 wrote:

Hi Johnny,

I'm a bit confused. I recently got a tax assessment saying they were transfering my refund to Canada Student loans, however, they also are taking off for Ontario Student Loan. I haven't had a OSAP loan for more than 10 years. Nordon Collection told me there is no statue of limitations for crown debt. It's not on my equifax report. Is this what you mean as above, that it is off my credit history but that the government can still collect? For how long? I am currently on EI, so can I claim financial hardship?

Federal loans have a six year SOL but for Ontario loans there is no SOL.

That being said the ability of the government to withhold your tax refund is likely not impacted by any SOL.
wendlyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendlyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/April/2009 at 8:23am
Even if it is not on your CBR the government can still take your income tax ....after 7 years it is taken off of your CBR...but you still owe the money, your debts don't just disappear. When you don't pay on it for 8 years doesnt excuse your from paying it back. They have been taking your income tax so that 8 years doesnt apply as you were not fighting to get your taxes back so that means you are aware of your debt..and just not willing to make voluntary payments on it. What sucks is they will continue to take your income tax and gst until your debt is paid.
good source
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/April/2009 at 9:16am
That is not entirely true. In some cases debt is disolved by a limitation issue. Geography and timelines determine this in certain cases.

You wrote:

"When you don't pay on it for 8 years doesnt excuse your from paying it back. They have been taking your income tax so that 8 years doesnt apply as you were not fighting to get your taxes back so that means you are aware of your debt..and just not willing to make voluntary payments on it."

If you are implying that this is an acknowledgment, that is incorrect.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
wendlyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendlyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/April/2009 at 2:55am
Maybe for your Federal portion, but not for your Provincial portion there is not SOL.
good source
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/April/2009 at 5:23am
You are forgetting about the loans that came into repayment before the coming into force of the new legislation. so, up to a certain point there may be a limitation, depending on when the debt became due and payable upon subrogation.

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>