This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNCO - R. Max Gold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
cuddybear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuddybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NCO - R. Max Gold
    Posted: 28/January/2005 at 4:47pm

Has anyone heard of a lawyer for NCO by the name of R. Max Gold in Edmonton, Alberta?

Sponsored Links

momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2005 at 4:50pm
johnny might know this guy, wait for him to check the new postings, he'll get to this one in time...
professionals built the titanic but amateurs built the ark...
momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2005 at 4:51pm
you could google the guy or check the edmonton phone book etc. while you are waiting...
cuddybear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuddybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2005 at 4:53pm
I just find it very funny that I would get a letter post mark in the city I live in, but the lawyer is from Edmonton, Alberta????
momof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2005 at 5:06pm
very odd, where do you live and what province were your loans originally from ?
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2005 at 5:53pm

cuddy,

I know of the law offices of Max Gold (Edmonton) quite well. what are they doing to you - or seeking? If you need help, let me know.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
cuddybear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuddybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2005 at 2:54am

momof2,

I live in Moncton, New Brunswick and the laosn were federal which I acquired through college in Nova Scotia.

cuddybear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuddybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2005 at 2:57am

Johnny,

They are demanding and immediate payment for the full amount or they may consider taking me to court. But I have been making payments, although not very ,much.

Because of other financial disasters since my seperation in 2002, I am seriously considering bankruptcy to start a new slate. I graduated in 98 and my ten years will soon be up.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2005 at 5:45am

This is a scare tactic. Gold has no jurisdiction in NB from Alberta.

Continue making your payments and let these fear installation tactics simply absorb - and pass. If you feel that you cannot deal with it, or become overwhelmed with worry, come to me and I will take care of this minor nuisance for you.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
silence2long View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silence2long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2005 at 6:45am

Johnny

Are there any rules on where they can sue you from ??(In your own province?)  How could you possibly make it to court...if it were not local to you? 

silence is a form of fear...fear of the unknown...has kept me silent too long
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2005 at 7:39am

Yes there are rules.

In this case, especially.

In this particular case, it would be impossible for the agency to obtain a judgment in NB due to provincial laws - and even if there were an avenue, the liklihood of Gold suing someone in NB would still be an impossible feat.

In this case, they'll find Jimmy Hoffa before they will a judgment.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
silence2long View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silence2long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2005 at 8:35am

thanks..for clarifying the provincial....aspect

If I were being taken to court....by the provincial/federal gov.???... would it not have to be through the local court house ....close to where I reside??

silence is a form of fear...fear of the unknown...has kept me silent too long
Vixen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vixen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2005 at 9:09am

So your saying a lawfirm in ON could not sue someone in NB? (Referring to a letter I just got from Law office of David A Ball in ON)

BigFatherA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFatherA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2005 at 4:14pm
They could . . , but it would have to be monetarily worth it.  It usually requires someone (hired) to do the legwork in the other province, and many of these cases are small claims sized.  It's a question of being worth it.  For millions it'd be worth it!
BigFatherA
Priest & Teacher
non carborundum illegitemi est
cuddybear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuddybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/January/2005 at 1:56am

Here's copy of the letter:

R. MAX GOLD BARRISTER & SOLICITOR

Suite 535, 10109 - 106 St.

Edmonton, AB T5J 3L 7

January 18,2005

LEGAL DEMAND

RE:

Royal Bank of Canada -vs-

Account Number:                 

File Number:

This is to inform you that I am the solicitor for NCO Financial Services, Inc. formerly known as Financial Collection Agencies. I am advised that the amount of $ 10735.07 is due and owing by you to their client Royal Bank of Canada.

I hereby demand that you pay this sum to the following office by check or money order payable to Royal Bank of Canada within 10 days of the date of this letter:

Royal Bank of Canada c/o: NCO Financial Services, Inc.

240-75 Port Royal Street East MONTREAL, QC

H3L 3Tl

Failure to pay the sum as demanded could result in a legal action, which is a matter of public record, being commenced against you. I trust that you wish to avoid the expense and embarrassment of such an action.

Should you wish to discuss the foregoing, you must contact Mrs. Reid at NCO Financial Services, Inc., at 1-800-642-9811 (Toll Free). Do not contact the writer, as I will refer you back to the collector, since there is nothing that I can do for you. Time is of the essence .

Conduct yourself accordingly

R. MAX GOLD LL.B

RMG/lg

cuddybear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuddybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/January/2005 at 2:01am

The letter is not even sogned by this guy...just a line in the signature block!

Unfortunatly I had dealings with Ms. Reid  already and had informed them to stop contacting me at work and only through letters as I would file a complaint against them with HRDC and Consumer Affairs. The phone calls stopped. Ms. Reid was one of the CA's that belittled me supporting my children instead of paying my student loan. I pay what I can when I can that's the thing, so it's not like I'm trying to hide.

I did let them know to proceed with the legal action because I found it very unlikely that a judge looking into my situation would order that I stop paying my support for the children in favor for the CSL. I'm not so much fearfull of court but most annoyed by the harrassment and vile behavior by them.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/January/2005 at 5:06am

Cuddy,

HRDC has nothing to do with this issue because it is the RBC you owe. It is not a "Crowned" loan, or a CSL.

The letter you have shown is nothing but a scare tactic. If you call the collector and tell her that you know this is a scare tactic, she will deny, grobble, and battle to think of something else to reinforce the issue to make you "believe" otherwise. This is a traditional fear installation tactic.

If you cannot handle this, and feel too overwhelmed, let me know and I will contact Gold (and NCO) on your behalf to address it - and elimintate this toxic effort to intimidate you.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
Mike Wazowski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Wazowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2005 at 11:55am
cuddybear,

Sorry to hear about your grief with your student loan.  Just want to address some of your concerns.

1 - As long as you are making payments, even if it isn't the amount that is expected, no lawer will succeed if they take you to court.

2 - I serously doubt there is a judge in the province that would force you to put Student Loans over yoru own children.

3 - Before considering bankuptcy, talk to a lawyer who is familiar with student loans and bankruptcies.

4 - I am not a lawyer but I do know that the Alberta courts do have some jurisdiction outside Alberta.  (I know this because I successfully sued someone in British Columbia through Alberta Small Claims Court.)  However, your matter is with a national company (Royal Bank) which does do business in NB.  It is simply not worth it for Gold to sue you from Alberta.

5 - You mentioend that the letter to you from Gold is not signed.  In my world, no signature means the letter doesn't exist.  I am pretty sure the courts would agree with me on that.  If Gold isn't willing to put his signature to something then he is not willing to back it.  Proof to me that this is merelly a scare tactic.  Someone is hoping you will cave if you see a document from a lawyer.

6 - It is my experience that collection agencies rarely put a proper signature on any mailing.  (A name in italics at the bottom like RBC does on some communications doesn't count.)  If I am having problems with a collector I always demand WRITTEN notice with a SIGNATURE and I stress that no signature means nothing was sent.  This is a good way to help keep things honest.

7 - Whever you have a problem with Student Loans or any other creditor, KEEP A DIARY.  Keep track of EVERY call, letter, and who you communicate with.

8 - Buy an aswering machine that can record phone conversations.  Record every conversation with a collector or Student Loan.  Recording a telephone conversation is legal as long as ONE person (i.e. YOU) know the call is being recorded.

9 - Don't be afraid to be agressive with collectors.  Practise saying, "I will need that in writing, with a SIGNATURE."  :)

HOpe this has been helpful.

MW

Mike Wazowski
polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2005 at 9:33pm

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski Mike Wazowski wrote:

cuddybear,

3 - Before considering bankuptcy, talk to a lawyer who is familiar with student loans and bankruptcies.

Does one exist???? Not from anyone's experience here...

Poly

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
Blue_Thunder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue_Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/June/2008 at 6:09pm
This question is for Johnny or Mark .... I live in Alberta. My Canada Student Loan (bank risk - Scotiabank) was taken out in Newfoundland. I got a letter today similar to the one described here from the same R Max Gold. However, the letterhead states that he is in Surrey, BC but the letter says that he is a member of the Alberta Law Society. Given I live in Alberta, would this letter be more than merely just a scare tactic?

The greater access to higher education, as a result of student loans, has flooded the job market. Therefore, supply exceeds demand. Thus our credentials are not as valuable as, say, 30 years ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>