This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat to do??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/December/2005 at 8:16pm

Could somebody explain what's going on?

Why would someone want our emails? They're anonymous (or can be if we want them to be). It's weird when posting strings keep getting altered. That Johnny guy is right...why not leave things where they are? People's motives will soon expose themselves if left alone.

Besides, wouldn't it be better to follow the ancient advice? "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer."

Sponsored Links

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/December/2005 at 9:17pm
Yes email addresses are confidential... funny Bule how you would register and reply to only this post!

Patrick, Islander, Javaman, etc etc and now Bule, you know exactly what you were up to. I dont have to explain it.

Edited by administrator - 11/December/2005 at 9:25pm
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2005 at 2:55pm

I registered and responded because I've been interested and following many threads here. This one got me particularly interested because I didn't understand what's going on so I signed up and asked.

Gotta tell ya, though...your answer doesn't exactly clear things up! I mean, you have rules against collectors joining the forum, but you let CraZy in. Then you jump on someone who questions your ruling. It seems everyone wants to keep CraZy around to flame him, but then it looks like you're accusing him of being the same guy who wants him kicked off and a bunch of others as well.

I'll keep watching and try to figure it all out.

Meanwhile, does anyone have any suggestions for someone who wants to get a university education, preferably in international relations or economics but can't do it without student loans? 

What to watch out for, what to avoid (please spare me the "don't borrow if you can't afford it" line...university shouldn't be just for the rich and their kids), what steps to take to avoid the CSL nightmare?

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2005 at 3:25pm

Hi Bule,

Is there a problem that you are having with your student loans that requires attention? We have not heard form you in this regard. People who browse this site traditionally are those with current student debt crisis. Otherwise, people with no issues of the sort would need to spend time here. What is it that you are looking for, exactly?

I am sure thatyou would understand. You don't venture into a jewelery store to buy a pair of shoes. What sort of help are you shopping for?

Johnny  

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2005 at 4:04pm
As I said, I'm interested in suggestions as to what to do to avoid the problems this site deals with. I'm not sure how your jewelery/shoe analogy applies.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2005 at 4:12pm

It means that if you are not suffering from a student debt-related crisis, then this is not the kind of web site that people would sign up on. People who join here are either in the financial sector and lurk about - or are suffering from serious student debt-related crisis.

You wrote:

"I'm interested in suggestions as to what to do to avoid the problems this site deals with."

well, that is a vague question...

1. do/don't vote Liberal

2. Don't go bankrupt until you are certain it isthe angle to approach

3. Learn how to cope with and effectively take control over your own finances and life

4. Learn how to cope with and effectively capture control to avoid allowing debt collectors bully you.

Can you be more specific, please? What is your crisis? This way, a more suitable answer or solution can be given.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
SusanfromAB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanfromAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2005 at 2:55am

Bule,

You want to know how to avoid this problem?  Don't go to post secondary if you can't afford it.  Work for several years and save up all your pennies....that's it.  There are no guarantees when you graduate from university/college that there will even be a job for you, as many on this site can tell you.  Hence, if you must take out loans, there is risk involved.

Your best bet is to do a trade.  You get paid while you learn and you can collect EI when you are in your classroom study.  The end result of studying a trade is no student loan debt.

Hitting them hard!
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2005 at 3:15am
Bule
You are islander, beachcomber, javaman and crazy and all the same. Dont pretend you know whats going on.
You say I let Crazy join. His membership was cancelled as soon as I saw the post.

Do you want me to change this to a moderated board?

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2005 at 1:51pm

What are you talking about?

I"m not the same guy who posted as "craZy"! How can I prove that so you guys will stop insulting me, deleting posts and belittling my reasons for posting?

What is with you people?

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2005 at 2:02pm

Thanks, Susan.

I have a problem with that plan...it leads to a class stratified society. Those who don't have family money end up in the trades, whether they are suited to them or not while the moneyed classes get educations that lead them to political careers, diplomacy, law, and corporate work.

My son is interested in international relations, world economics, geopolitics, and would be a great economics policy guy in any government in the world.

There has to be some reasonable way that the Canadian government can tap into people like him as a resource rather than relegating him to sheet metal working, which holds zero interest for him and for which he has little aptitude.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2005 at 2:09pm

I have no issues with you. I just wanted to offer you some help if you needed it and you hammered me with accusations of being sarcastic(?). Please define "you people".  I think your issue is with the administrator in this regard.

Hey, all I did was try to offer you some information. That does not carry fees or require you to become a client, dude. The only thing I was curious about was what your problem/crisis was. This way I could better answer your questions. It is difficult to give answers if you do not ask the question(s). Vagueness creates difficulty.

My apologies if you were offended by any of my posts, It was not meant to be taken in that context. 

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2005 at 5:46pm

No offense taken, and I apologise if I offended you.

And thank you, Susan from Alberta.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2005 at 6:39pm

No offense taken at all. If there is anythign I can ever do for you, just ask! Truly.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
SusanfromAB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanfromAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/December/2005 at 2:50am

Hi Bule;

I would like to dispute your comment that the "trade education" is setting up a tiered system.  My husband is a plumber (trade) and I am an engineer.  He makes more money than I do! 

Not only do tradespeople make great money, a lot of them become business owners.  As I'm sure you know, there is, for the most part, a certain amount of clout in life for entrepreneurs.  Self-employment opens all sorts of doors for anyone, university educated or trade educated--think outside the box!  Trades people will not be on the tools forever if they have the characteristics and drive to do more with their skills.

Further, because my husband is Red Seal certified, he is considered a 'professional', not a blue collar worker, at least at the bank!

Do some more research on ALL the options....there is a HUGE shortage of tradespeople right now and that enables these "lower echelon" individuals earn really big bucks! 

Bottom line is, if you want to avoid the debt of student loans the only way is to NEVER take them out!  If you can't afford a university education, but don't want the debt required to get there, then find something else.  I know it sucks and is unfair, but that's the way it is here in this messed up country we live in!  Trades offer a great alternative without the debt!

Susan

Hitting them hard!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/December/2005 at 2:05pm

I'm not talking about a society stratified by income. I'm refering to the separation by class.

Members of the class that affect politics, legislation government relations and diplomatic relations do not earn (in cash terms) the kind of income that a well certified and established tradesperson can earn. But with all due respect, their influence on the broad conditions of life for the people of this messed up country is far in excess of that of even the best plumber or engineer.

It is the exclusion of the bright, the talented, and the innovative from those spheres that the current system of university financing perpetuates.

It looks like a deliberate attempt to keep the riffraff out of the corridors of power. It feels like an old boys club, and it smells  sexist, elitist, rascist.

If it walks like a duck... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12