This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAbsolution after Consumer Proposal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2005 at 2:25pm
first,
its 10 years after you cease to be a student. graduation is not required...

you are correct to note that rules kick in if you declare bankruptcy and still in school.. yes your loans are automatically defaulted if you declare bankruptcy even though they are not discharged. The liberal government changed the bankruptcy rule to 10 years without looking at the other regulations in place.... stupid as far as I believe...

also, be careful which laws you look at
there is the student loan act, and the student financial assistance act... depending when you took out your loans, different acts and rules apply...

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/S-22.7/SOR-95-329/index.html

Mark
Sponsored Links

nago View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2005 at 12:03pm
you can claim bankruptcy but you would have to prove that you will NEVER ever make any money to have them discharged

http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2sn9.jpg
dizoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2007 at 4:15pm

Here's another question about the 10-year rule.  I graduated 10 years ago and am contemplating bankruptcy.  I'm worried because I took 3 part-time courses at a post-secondary instituion in BC in 2006 - one course a semester at night for personal interest.  I was working full-time at the time.  I also need to take a 4-week job related course next month at a private language school - I have been laid off and will be studying to upgade a certificate that I need to get back to work.  Have/will these courses reset the 10-year clock?!  Is there anyway for me to avoid these courses appearing in someone's records...I feel sick that I might have caused myself to go back to the beginning.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2007 at 5:30pm
There have been some cases in Quebec where it has been ruled that the clock was not reset, but from what I've heard it does reset the clock....

Trying to keep it out of the records would not be advisable because it would amount to making a false statement...
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/February/2007 at 12:06pm
The law says " ... ten years from the day the bankrupt cesed to be a full or part-time student". Th interpretations that are being thrown around are many. However, if you read it, there is only one way to interpret it, and the loan providers (and their legal advisors) cash in on the blunders of the law makers who were obviously not "all with it" when they sat down and wrote this stuff.

Johnny   
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Canadianlioness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canadianlioness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/July/2007 at 2:50pm
OMG...I feel so overwhelmed looking at the various situations here.  I too am in 60K+ debt from CSL and OSL combined.  When I ceased being a student for personal reasons, I called the then NSC and CIBC and the student financial centre at York U inquiring about the loan forgiviness and interest relief programs. This was back in May of 2000.  I was told that no such program existed.  Then only 5 months later was told that I could have signed up for interest relief, but was too late.  I told them that I was told by their CSR that the program was obsolete.  They told me that it was still running and I had time then, but too late now.  Damn these shdy people!!!  Gone thru hell with collectors.  Trying to find ways of eliminating these two debts.  Single parent on minimal income. It's just damn too much.  As I was told by a nasty collections agent, start saving up my pennies because I going to pay this debt regardless of my situation.  Just disgusting.  I've been told if I go to a debt counselling program, collection agencies could refuse the proposal at any time.  simply sick!!!
I look for deliverance from this student loan!!!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/July/2007 at 12:33am
Non-profit debt poolers tend to avoid undertaking cases involving student debt. This is because the student finance system does not pay commission to debt poolers. If there is a lot of consumption debt and student loans, the debt pooler will get paid their commission from the creditors though and not from the student loan providers.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Iknowalotofstuff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iknowalotofstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/December/2009 at 5:23pm
I don't know why the study end date is so difficult for everyone to understand.

S. 178 1.1 states that limitation period starts when the debtor ceases to be a full or part time student.  Graduation is not an issue.  You cease to be a student when you cease to be a student.

Next, you don't have to be out of school 10 years ONLY 7 years.  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2009 at 5:50am
Iknowalot,
I think you have more insight into this situation than most of us here.  We have all been under the impression that if you go back to school, the clock is reset.  Is that the case? Or have court cases shown otherwise?   And of course, the government and collection agencies will try to bluff and continue to collect unless we are knowledgeable...
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Iknowalotofstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2009 at 9:34am
There are many forms of student loans but can be broken down into 2 categories. Category One: those student loans granted under the Canada Student Loan Act, Student Financial Assistance Act and the enactment of any province for the granting and guaranteeing of student loans.  These are Canada Student Loans, Provincial Student Loans and non guaranteed federal loans (risk loans). Category Two: all other student loans or student lines of credit.

Category One loans are only subject to discharge if bankruptcy / proposal was started after the expiration of the appropriate s. 178.1(g) limitation period which could be 1, 2, 10 or 7 years.  In the event the limitation period had not expired at the date of bankruptcy / proposal, the student loan debts are revived upon the discharge of the trustee (not the discharge of the bankrupt / consumer debtor.  Pursuant to s. 178 1(h), the interest on the loan continues and is not interrupted by the bankruptcy / proposal.  In order to deal with the need for the bankrupts fresh start, s. 178 1.1 provided that a student loan that was not discharged by the bankruptcy / proposal could be dealt with as a hardship after the expiration of the 1, 2, 10 and now 5 year period.

Category Two student loans are not subject to s, 178.1(g) and are subject to discharge if not opposed by the creditor in the same manner as an ordinary debt.  Personal loans for education and student lines of credit (often cosigned) are subject to discharge.

A Category Two Student loan (in addition to EI funded schooling, personal funding, bursaries, etc.) cannot be used to restart or extend a limitation period for a Category One student loan with one exception being the extension of the end of study under the terms of the student loan legislation. If you get government student loans for years one and two of a four year program and pay for years three and four from non student loans and the repayment of the government loans are suspended until the completion of year four, the end of study will be at the end of the fourth year.

"L" went to school taking ECE ending in 1989 funded by government student loans.  She ended a social work course some 10 years later funded by her First Nation Band.  She declared bankrutcy in 2000.  She alleged that she had been out of school with respect to the government student loans for the requisite 10 years and they were subject to discharge.  HRSDC argued that the schooling funded by the First Nation restarted the 10 year period and she should not have the loans subject to discharge until 10 years from the end of the later schooling.  The Court held that Category One loans were independent of all other debt that was subject to discharge and that the 10 year limitation period relates to that education only.  Category Two loans do not affect category One loans and the limitation periods related to them.

This makes absolute sense.  Education is an asset.  If the asset is funded by a student loan,  the party (government) should have a right to determine if the asset they helped create has value before such loan should be subject to discharge in an insolvency proceeding.  This period went from 2 to 10 to 7 years.  In the event, that the student loans were used for their intended purpose; that student went to school; that no substantial economic benefit was derived from the education; that efforts were made to pay and efforts such as interest relief / loan forgiveness were used to otherwise reduce the student loan debt, the student loans could become subject to discharge after the eventual expiration of a 2 to 10 to 5 year limitation period from the end of study relating to the Category One student loans.   

This also makes sense because s. 178 1(g) and 178 1.1 relate only to government funded or guaranteed student loans.  

There was a case I recall where a Sask. Credit Union funded education for an employee.  The employee graduated and left the company.  The former employee declared bankruptcy.  The CU attempted to prove that the student loans should not be subject to discharge.  Their action failed.
It should be noted that a non government student loan creditor my oppose the discharge of the bankrupt on grounds set out in s. 173 just as any other creditor.  A hearing will be held and the Court will determine if the discharge should be granted, suspended or if a conditional order should be made.  In the event of a conditional order, the funds paid to the estate are for the benefit of all of the unsecured creditors not just the non government student loan.

The was a case in NS.  A teacher had two study periods.  Study Period One was funded by federal and NS student  loans.  Study Period Two was funded by federal and Ontario student loans.  The bankrupt made an assignment into bankruptcy prior to the end of the 10 year period.  He made a s. 178 1.1 hearing after the 10 year period had expired for the Fed / NS. loans but before 10 year period expired for the Fed / ON student loan period had.  At the hearing, the Court ordered that the burden had been met with respect to hardship and that the Fed /NS were subject to discharge. The hearing was adjourned for a period when the Fed / ON loans would be eleigible.  The Court ordered that the matter would be heard again when the Fed / ON were 10 years from the end of study date.  Govt Student loans in one regime do not affect govt student loans in another regime.

The biggest culprits of bad information are CA and banks.  If it is the govt, they are just not informed.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iknowalotofstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2009 at 9:52am
Re: paragrah six of recent post regarding education as an asset.

This paragraph relates to a post bankruptcy hardship application for relief after 2 to 10 to 5 years and not the bankruptcy itself.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2009 at 10:24am
It is all about interpretation. There are some that say when a person ceases studies - period; and there are others that say it only applies to being a student while on the government's dime. The regaulations that restrict student loans from bankruptcy does actually seem to be a violation of one's rights. If you owe tax debt there is less restirction to access.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iknowalotofstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2009 at 1:20pm
Johnny:
Its not about what I think.  Its about the case law and the decisions that have been made by some high ranking registrars and judges.  I am only repeating their decisions,  If you want the cases, I can provide them.

To many on this forum, the calculation of an end of study date is very important.  There would be no benefit for me to post false hope.  So I have carefully researched case after case, application after application and find what I have posted to be accurate.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2009 at 2:26am
Then you should present your research and findingds to the superintendant's office so theyt do not mislead people. I am not saying what you are posting is wrong. However, people will go to sources like the Supie and take what they say as being true and accurate.

solvestudentdebt.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iknowalotofstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2009 at 9:26am
I will.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2009 at 3:44pm

It puzzles me how the SOBIA's office is so misinformed. Doesn't this seem peculiar?

solvestudentdebt.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iknowalotofstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2009 at 4:45pm
I look at OSB in a different light.  They are responsible for the administration of the Act not the interpretation of it.  The OSB should not be giving out legal advise.  If you contact a court office, they provide you with legal information not legal advise.  If you contact the OSB, they should not provide legal advise only information.  If they were to provide advise, they would need to keep track of all of the decisions made in the various bankruptcy courts.  Obviously, they do not do this.  

It would be simple to do if they wanted.  There would be a requirement that they be served with a copy of every motion, opposition and application made in the various courts and require a copy of the decision.  They do not do this very often.  Some of the more prominent cases appear in the OSB case law bulletin.

I listed some cases in a post earlier this evening.  I would bet that the OSB has never heard of these cases.  I would bet many bankruptcy lawyers have not heard of the cases.  I would be willing to bet a large number of trustees have not heard of them.  I hear of them because I spend research time looking for them for the purpose of informing clients and others who want to know.

If you call the OSB in London, ON, they will tell you to contact a lawyer or read the act.  No interpretation.  They might read the Act to you.  You can get more information out of Holden & Morowitz Annotated Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act than from the OSB.   The Official Receivers are not lawyers.
lola36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/July/2011 at 7:24am

I have a similar story.  My records did indicate the 10 year mark for being absolved of my student loans.  The problem was when I went to the trustee's office they said my consumer proposal had actually reset my loans again.   In other words instead of being finished in 1995 my loans were reset back to 1998.   I told them that couldn't have been possible.  I already payed a huge amount of money each month.   I spoke to a lawyer and he said the same thing.   In the end I had to pay the remainder amounts on both student loans owed.   It actually put me into more debt.  I had to settle out one loan thanks to my husband's help.  The other loan I have virtually payed off now.  The consumer proposal actually put into more debt.  I have payed well over 39,000 and now I can see the end of the rainbow.  I owe less than 5,000.   It will be payed off in the next 7 to 8 months. I will never get another student loan from the government in my life.  You are better off going to the RBC and getting a student loan than getting government student loans.  This way you can actually pay it off and take part-time classes.  I learned from this experience you are better off getting a job and taking classes online and paying for them yourself.  I have one credit card and refuse to give anymore of my hard earned money to the government.  Shocked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12