This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedpost-bankruptcy cat food lookin good

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Coco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: post-bankruptcy cat food lookin good
    Posted: 01/March/2006 at 6:10am

well here's my story.....

I finished school in May of 99.  When it came time to pay back my student loan conveintly my consolidation papers were lost and they took close to 6 months to be resent to me.  So of course my loan has now be put into default before i even had a chance to make one payment (because they wouldn't accept any payments with out my papers) when i finally got my papers i made my payments.  I have always paid (sometimes on on time due to lack of money) but always made my payments.  That is until Nov 05.  I started going through a very hard time financially, but all my bills were starting to catch up with my from when i was making $8 an hr.  So unfortunatley i missed my student loan payments and paid my credit cards etc. On top of all of this in 2000 i was dumb enough to buy a new car with my boyfriend at the time. So long story short with a crazy amount of debt building and no way to eat i filed for bankruptcy in May 05.  I know that my student loan is not exempt, but the federal portion was put into collections before my bankruptcy.  while in bankrutcy my provincial one was put into collections too (which they can't do but anyway) So i am now discharged and am getting ready to start with my student loan payments again.  But my question is because this Bill C-55 was passed while i was bankrupt and technically i would have have been out of school for 7 years is there anyway that i could go about having my student loan discharged as well.  I know they are still in the works for what is to happen with the new Bill but i want to know what my rights/options are.  No one seems to know.  Still with all my living expenses i have $100 dollars left a month for personal use.  which sucks I am not sure what to do

Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2005 at 5:59pm

www.cfwgroup.ca/forum

http://www.cfwgroup.ca/forum/mods/flashChat/flashchat.php

Johnny

kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2005 at 5:57pm
dujylyn....come chat on cfwgroup.ca....register first then you will be able to enter in the flashchat!!!  There's a bunch of us there.....
kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2005 at 5:52pm
dujylyn....that is what my brother did....he focused on one at a time making the bigger payments to it and kept the other payments small until he could make larger payments on the other ones....he did get them all paid off in good time....he has beat me to the punch!!!!!
dujylyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dujylyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2005 at 5:37pm
well, like brenda, i have been reading like crazy and i do agree that bankruptcy trustees often prey on fear and desperation. had i known about this site before i filed, i may not have done it.however, i did...damage done to credit and it merely delayed facing the student loan music.
so, laid off next month for sure,just got the pink slip. i guess i will tell all the creditors my situation, make a budget and send them all an amount i can afford. what if they don't accept my offer? because the loans are in 3 different places, small payments barely touch the interest. let alone the principle. seems like it would make more sense to pay on one at a time...at this rate i will be paying until i qualify for old age pension and not make a dent in the principle...bankruptcy begins to look good again (7 years to go,right about the time my credit rating improves). what a life, sometimes you just gotta laugh.
if you cannot be a good example, you will just have to be a horrible warning
kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2005 at 2:06pm

brenda....John can be hired from anywhere!!!  Read the testimonials from others who have had John work for them.

brelene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brelene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2005 at 1:51pm
ok I have been reading like crazy and have seen many many posts about someone called John LeBlanc.  Who it this person and can someone from BC use the services offered by him and the company he works for. 

thanks for the help
brenda
fustrated in British Columbia
kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2005 at 4:01am

brelene....the best advice the bankruptcy lady gave you was to come here...that is for sure ....the worst advice is that she is encouraging you to go bankrupt......no, no, no....worst ever in most situations.

There are way better alternatives than bankruptcy that will be far healthier for your credit and financial state....consider reading some of the stories on here regarding those who have gone bankrupt and some stories on cfwgroup.ca.....

brelene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brelene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/April/2005 at 7:23pm
My student loans make me want to cry.  Regularly I get sick and quizzy from the stress of dealing with NCO financial.  I graduated in November of 1997.  I got "the job"  and began paying my student loans like a good little lacky when the time came to do so.  10 months later "the job" was being down sized and since I was the low man on the totem pole my job was  gone!  Now I have a car loan (for the car I just bought for my job) and a student loan.  I had to make a choice.  Here I am with 4 kids (two of them teenage boys) ((bottomless legs))  a car loan,  credit cards and a student loan.I prioritized.   My kids and housing first, my car (with the hopes of getting another job, and the need to use it for the kids) anything else I can afford then that is what I paid.  Student loans seemed to default of the lack of funds.  EI sure doesn't give much.  Then there were the months of no income at all until I finally found the mediocre job that I have had for the last 5 years.  It barely pays squat.  after 5 years I am now up to half of the wages of my first out of college job.    one person earlier stated "low paying, spiritually devastating, and have no future"  well that is my job.  A cashier at a grocery store.   Infact I have such a great union in the last contract talks we lost our benefits and have a wage cap that allows the company to keep working us to death while not even giving us a cost of living increase.  I make $11 per hour to care for my family.  OH and did I say that no one  is full time, nor can we ever hope to be.  As if that isn't dishartening enough this past Christmas NCO financial called one week before christmas andsaid they were "calling my loan" that I had one week to make some loan arrangements  to pay off my student loan.  I was in total shock, but like a good little girl I ran to HFC (where NCO recommended that I go) and they told me that I owed way more than they would ever loan money for.  HFC  recommended a debt counceling service,  I went there.  They were floored that I could even eat, and that they couldn't help me because they help people repay in a 5 year time frame.  They sent me (as one of the more challenging  cases) to a bankruptsy company.  They were the best place I could have gone.     She let me know that since all of my other debts are in good standing and since I have been making good faith payments  all these years then NCO has no leg to stand on.  She recommended this site...  thanks for the info here...  and she told me to watch for changes to the bankruptsy act that would allow me to declair bankruptsy with my loan.  and my 10 year mark is coming up soon.  Right now I am concentrating  on paying my other stuff off and from the Brankruptsy lady I learned how to talk to the people at NCO and not be pushed around.  As for this site it is at the top of my bookmarks as a valuable source of info and a wonderful place to steam off.   By the way,  I am back on EI for medical leave.  I need surgery and will be off for 3-6 months.   So I contacted NCO and reduced the amount I am giving then for my monthly good will payments.   After all, whether they think so or not,  my kids come first.  brenda from BC
fustrated in British Columbia
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/April/2005 at 7:29am

duj,

Read some of the posts in this link:

http://www.canadastudentdebt.ca/forum_posts.asp?TID=2132& ;get=last#17841

You wrote:

"one of the reasons that i filed for bankruptcy in the first place is that collectors tricked my sweet little daughter into telling them my work number. they called there daily and harassed both my employer and me."

Your testimony is yet another proof that a bankruptcy trustee pulled you into the program for no clear reason other then to make money. Bankruptcy did not help you. Otherwise, you would not be here on this site describing your grievances.

This is the thing... bankruptcy is not selling burgers. They are selling pseudo relief and fresh starts that never really occur. This is a government program! The government should be supervising these trustees to ENSURE that they are following the letter of the law and statutes that govern this program.

All this trustee had to do is tell you the truth! There is nothing that the collectors could do to you as long as you acknowledge the debt - and pay something. They are student loans and not visa accounts. Your fear and dissatisfaction about the misconduct and behavior of the collector is a MAJOR sales route for a bankruptcy trustee. It is easier to sell you what they sell when you are experiencing fear.  

Most of the Trustees out there have no friggin clue how to help people other than to "push" bankruptcy on them as a salvation. Their lack of awareness is no excuse. Ignorance is not a valid defense when YOUR  personal financial and social security rests in the hands of an individual who knows absolutely nothing about financial wellness. What is financial wellness to them? BANKRUPTCY? 

The majority of people who file for bankruptcy do so out of fear and the other phobic stimuli that accompany debt distress. That is not a reason to go bankrupt. Becoming aware of what you can do to stop the things that you fear from occuring is the solution to the surface problem. In return, it will give you the relief and momentum to begin digging down to the problem's root and remove it completely. This is what The CFW Group teaches people - and does for people. Bankruptcy cannto do this for people. they do not know how - and if they did, they would not be able to administer bankruptcy because there would be no need.

John LeBlanc
The Canadian Financial Wellness Group

Tel: (902) 464-8727

polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/April/2005 at 12:36am

Under the circumstances of your insecure employment status, I'd be tempted to contact Johnny to help you figure out your options. I mean, if your job ends without another one on the horizon, you may be eligible for EI, but you still have a six-week wait with no income.

It's best to be up front and proactive, because that will only help you in the long run if you apply after 10 years to have the loans discharged, but you have to protect your heinie (and your daughter's) too...

Poly

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
dujylyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dujylyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/April/2005 at 9:16pm
me frustrating the system? what about collectors calling me at work? one of the reasons that i filed for bankruptcy in the first place is that collectors tricked my sweet little daughter into telling them my work number. they called there daily and harassed both my employer and me. do you think for some reason these agents are above doing the same at my present employment if the least little thing goes wrong in my 'dealing with it'? i have no problem being honest and open about being unemployed..no job to lose. yes, i will be laid off but am hoping for a good reference and possibly re-hiring at a later date.not all employers are willing to put up with this crap. and yes, i am tempted to run and hide but realize that is unrealistic.what i really need are practical ideas of how to protect myself while dealing with it.
kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/April/2005 at 4:31pm

The freedom comes when you deal with the loan issues...and not run from them.  I chose to ignore them for a while and it produced nothing but negativity. 

I don't want to sound all hum-drum....just telling it like it is.  If you are unemployed for a period of time...just be honest about it.  If you are not honest...and are considered to be frustrating the system...then you will have accomplished no good.

dujylyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dujylyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/April/2005 at 4:24pm
hi everyone, i am happy to see the discussion continues...been offline for awhile, the ancient computer finally crashed and burned. since i last wrote (way at the top of this page) i have heard from all the collectors who have my loans. Apart from the royal bank, all of them were in collections before i could even contact them to find out exactly what i owed them. while their may have been an interest relief option (i am in BC and the rules have changed)it is definitely too late if you are in collection status and that, i have learned,happens pretty fast and with no consultation after bankruptcy discharge. My BC direct loan went into collections while i was still in bankruptcy.no one seems to have a viable explanation of why that happened.their comment is "oh well, just pay".

so, enough blather, here's my quandary.i am still working in a temporary position, making not bad money. it is ending in may or june. altho i am looking for work, i am not finding that jobs are plentiful here and i may end up on ei soon. the collection agents are asking me to fill out forms that say where i work, address, phone # of employer, etc. do they think i'm nuts? i guess they can find out if they try hard enough but i don't want to voluntarily give them an opportunity to call and harass me at work. also, if i make a payment agreement on this income, i will probably not be able to keep it up in the near future. also, i am salting away every spare dime i have now because frankly, i have had enough of this starving stuff.
so, what to do? stall until i am unemployed? stop answering the phone? continue to be "non-compliant" about divulging my employer? what if i refuse to talk with them and send them each, say, $20/month? i don't know....is there freedom after education?
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/April/2005 at 11:42am
I should have told her to drop by and visit our pooch.
She loves company.(and she loves to pounce on people).

Picture this:
one 70 pound shepherd husky full of P*ss and vinegar coming at you, salvating at the mouth and her tail wagging 100 miles per hour.

PRICELESS!!!
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/April/2005 at 11:24am
WHAT THE HELL!!!
THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO HAVE STUDENT LOANS AND ARE ENJOYING LIFE!!!!

Just kidding, I am on your side. Tee - hee - hee
I am just thinking of what the collectors would say to that.
They would have everyone eating KD if it were up to them.

What you are eating, and you have student loans!!!

I remember the one woman telling me that I should not have a dog because this is money that I could be sending them.

polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/April/2005 at 9:40am

Gone? We-eeell...three years before you can apply to have them discharged...

And the courts will look at your financial history, your income, your potential to pay it all, etc...and may discharge them, discharge them conditional on a settlement or make you continue paying.

Personally, I think we deserve to enjoy our lives regardless, bollocks to what the collectors think. So party on, Mrs. D!!

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
Mrs. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/April/2005 at 9:13am

Ok i'm lost!!! I filed Bankruptcy in 1998 i know i'm discharged this year.

but i know that by student loan will stay

does that mean that i have 3yrs to go before it's gone ( mind you this is news to me :)

i have been paying these people forever it seems like there's no end

but if anyone  tells me that it true i would party all weekend long ( mind you i would continue my payments until then

Madmorrigan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madmorrigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2005 at 11:24am
Oh, and what you said regarding the psychological scare tactics that collection agencies use is sooooooo true.  Have you ever noticed that they always make you call them by their last names? Mr/Mrs. So and So....that's totally a psych out--for most of us, the use of last names is an automatic gift of respect and understanding of authority.  I like to turn this little game around on them...I use their first names without their permission (Hi, this is Mrs. Edna Smith from blah blah blah, you owe us money.....Edna!! Great to hear from you)....but more effective, I've found, is insisting that they call you by your last name--it screws with their heads....tee hee.  : )
Madmorrigan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madmorrigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2005 at 11:17am
lmao...I nearly freaked.  Thanks for clarifying!

About six minutes, you say?  Can we do it through email?  I only have a cell and it doesn't have a LD plan (I'm in the 519 area code).  I'd definitely appreciate the help!

the Morrigan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>