This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNever try to pay a sl with a broken back

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
karldubhe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karldubhe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Never try to pay a sl with a broken back
    Posted: 10/March/2005 at 4:52pm
I'd like to thank people who have already posted their stories on this site.  I'd like to say that I've enjoyed reading them, but that would be a nasty lie.  Thought I might share my own little nightmare with getting some higher education.  Total student loans at graduation were 35,000$, amount I've paid to my sl in the last 8 years 1$.  Only had one year's income tax refund siezed to boot.

I freely admit that I f***ed up back in 97, I had graduated that April from the U of Alta with a BA (History) I was working, but couldn't have made any payments, applied for interest relief - exhausted it.  Whatever plans I had for my degree were pooched at the end of August when I broke two vertebre.  Long story short, in pain but can work for 6 months at a time or until my back gives out whichever comes first.  Kinda throws a loop into any payment plans when you're pretty sure that you're not going to last long at any job. 
In the last 8 years I've worked at a hell of a lot of interesting jobs, everything from the doorman at a gay bathhouse to being a collections officer(hey, know your enemies)  BTW I had less crap to deal with when I worked at the tubs, much better working conditions than at FCA (can't come up with a decent curse, wont try). 

So anywho, I finally found out about a federal form for my doc to fill out.  After a bit of an arguement with my doc, the form was filled out properly and now my federal loans are in a "non-active" recovery folder.  The paperwork nightmare was a long and hard slog, if I remember right I succeeded in having the fed loans dealt with (temporarily) back in 2001.  Yayish

As all of you know, that's just the federal portion.  Today I have no idea what I owe to the federal gov, then again, ever since I signed that consolidation agreement I've not been too sure what I owe.  I'm not sure what's happened to the bank's part of the debt, they don't call me about it anymore.  I have a suspicion that my sig other sneeked a settlement in with the bank, but there's no way in hell I'm about to discuss this topic with such a sweety. I know he didn't pay the whole thing off, I ain't dating a millionare. 

So, we get to the final act.  Alberta student loans has now hired CBCL.  A wonderful company that calls me twice a day from the same number.  No actual collection officer calls me, it's a happy computer offering to discuss a business matter with me.  Ever so polite, I'm really happy Ralph's gov't hired these guys, have only spoken to a collection officer from them once.  A mistake that shall not be repeated. 

As I see it, I would like to declare bankruptcy now, but having waited nearly 8 years I can wait until april 2006 to declare banko.  Damn good thing that I left full time studies in 96.  I'm beginning to wonder how the actual bankruptcy hearing will go, I expect that my non-payment will be an issue.  However, I never made more than 19K in any year since graduating. 

Sponsored Links

polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2005 at 12:41am

karldubhe...I have no idea where you f****d up, personally. Unless, of course, you crammed your body into some medieval vice and twisted it until your vertebrae broke!

Which is not my idea of a fun weekend, but hey...

But the powers that be really know how to get to you so you start believing it was all your fault, don't they?

My point (and I do have one, beneath all the sarcasm) is DON'T beat yourself up. You sound like a survivor to me.

Poly

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
karldubhe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karldubhe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2005 at 4:39am
Non carborundum illegitimati (hmmm maybe I should check my spelling, never studied latin...)  I botched it when I didn't declare banko just before they changed the rules.  Had just broken my own back (entirely my fault, mountain biking in the river valley, who knew Edmontnon had dangerous trails???)  and was still full of that macho Albertan uhhh, crap.  I'm sure you've met some of the people from alta who are full of it, the ones who've never had any real obsticles in their lives, and think a catastrophe is when a Liberal(closet tory, these days) gets elected.  In a way it's a damn shame I didn't have a lobotomy, then being a conservative I coulda sponged off the tories.  
polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2005 at 5:52am

Oh thank you!!

I've just been severely bashed in another forum I belong to (for expats living in Holland), so your sense of humour in spite of all the crap is SO refreshing!! (and SO lacking in that other forum)

PLEASE hang with us!! We'll try to help, and you can keep us smiling!!

Hopefully, somebody has some insight into your unique circumstances??

Anybody?? Anybody??

Bueller?? Bueller??

Poly

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
 Post Reply Post Reply