This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedShould I sign a proposal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dutchy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I sign a proposal?
    Posted: 29/March/2005 at 2:48pm

Hi, 

I am at a loss. I am signing for a consumer proposal next week, but have not yet. I owe about 10K on a secured loan (personal effects - under 5K)  
and another 6K to PC finanical and 1.5 k to MC. 

I was under the impression that a consumer proposal is a safe way to go, however I just got off the phone with my secured creditor (CITI financial) and they said I would be ruining my credit rating and my life - meaning toruble down the road and they would (possibly) come back and collect the rest owed to them after the 3 year term. They offered to cut my payments down by 1/2 but stretch out the term,
although I have nothing in writing yet. 

I basically need an impartial opinion. Is this a scare tactic, I don't know who to believe anymore. Trustees and creditors seem to have their own agenda. 

What happens with a proposal, even if its not rejected down the road? andIs it really no different than a bankruptcy and that they can collect even after, and all a proposal does is buy time?

Help me make the right decision. If anyone has been through a consumer proposal, I would love to hear your advice. I am supposed to sign next week.

Signed, confused.

You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.
James A. Froude
Sponsored Links

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2005 at 3:20pm
DONT SIGN! If it is a student loan...
Proposals come under section 178. Unless you have been out of school more than 10 years, you will still owe the unpaid balance at the end of the proposal!

If it is a proposal for consumer debt, well, save your money and hire Johnny at CFW Group. His fees are cheaper and he could get just as good terms for you... or better!

Mark
Dutchy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2005 at 3:44pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response. It is consumer debt, but more than 50% falls under a secured loan (personal affects). Not sure how this would affect a proposal.

You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.
James A. Froude
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2005 at 7:00pm

Dutchy,

Here is an important piece of information on my website that you sahould read:

http://www.cfwgroup.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56

If you would like some help, call me directly anytime during the day.

John LeBlanc
The Canadian Financial Wellness Group

Tel: (902) 464-8727

CARGO1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARGO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2005 at 7:32pm

Dutchy,

firstly check out Johns site it has great info,

secondly John is able to do exactly what a porposal will do for you without the credit damage. Please before you sign get the facts either from this site or cfwgroup.ca. Proposals/debt pooling is just a fancy feel good way of going BANKRUPT .

Troy

����The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Southpa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/April/2005 at 9:51am

<The fees are $1500.00 for solo, or $2300.00 for a joint bankruptcy. Does it solve the problem? In more than many cases, no. >

My ten year period to qualify for bankruptcy comes up at the end of May this year.  In reference to the quote above, taken from your website, Johnny, my question is...why?  I can produce tons of info showing financial hardship (bank statements, income tax returns etc. etc.) I have no assets or personal possessions worth anything, and my credit cards are near bottomed out.  In order to satisfy the requirements laid out by THC (now Alliance) I would need an EXTREMELY high paying and stable job.  That prospect is not forthcoming.

I was hoping to contact a trustee this coming June and settle the matter once and for all.  Its not like I've been trying to dodge my responsibility towards paying my loan off.  I've made numerous attempts, they've been keeping my income tax returns and GST since 1997.  I'd say they've gotten nearly $10,000 out of me in all and I STILL owe over $25,000!  The realization that I could be facing this situation for the rest of my natural life has resulted in my only option.

So if I declare personal bankruptcy will I be guaranteed that ALL debts will be wiped clean?

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/April/2005 at 10:41am

South,

You can contact a trustee if you want. It is your choice.

You wrote:

"Johnny, my question is...why?  I can produce tons of info showing financial hardship (bank statements, income tax returns etc. etc.) I have no assets or personal possessions worth anything, and my credit cards are near bottomed out.  In order to satisfy the requirements laid out by THC (now Alliance) I would need an EXTREMELY high paying and stable job.  That prospect is not forthcoming."

Here are the problems:

1. Anyone can produce tons of information showing hardship. Things always look worse on paper.

2. What is your bank statement going to show them? That you have absoutely no money in savings? In that case, nearly 70% of Canadian citizens who owe student loans might as well go bankrupt.

3. No assets and maxed out credit cards is another common problem that people suffer from. This problem is as common as the Flu. It is not a rare affliction like Ebola.

4. Another common problem among people who owe student loans is the fact that the demands outweigh the means. It would take a much higher paying job for virtually anyone who owes student loans to meet the demand.

Now, what type of hardship are they looking for that will discharge you from the debt(s)? 

The bankrupt would have to demonstrate hardship that proves that he or she can not pay now - or at any time in the future. TO demonstrate that you cannot pay in the future, you would be:

a) Physically disabled

b) Mentally disabled (institutionalized or on permanent disability with a psychiatric profile of the condition or disease)

c) unemployable due to whichever reasons (you would outline these extenuating circumstances and authenticate them)

d) Elderly and unable to cope

These are some of the areas looked at.

Also, they will look at your reason for filing bankruptcy. They will examine:

1) Does the bankrupt owe consumer debt - and how much?

2) What activity has the bankrupt done to try to deal with the student loan before filing?

3) Did the bankrupt file for bankruptcy just because of student loans?

4) Did the bankrupt make the assignment in good faith?

etc, etc,etc.

Lastly, you wrote:

"So if I declare personal bankruptcy will I be guaranteed that ALL debts will be wiped clean?"

Who knows? No one is going to be able to answer that for you. You will know on the day your discharge hearing is scheduled. If the bankruptcy trustee tells you that you will be discharged before you sign on that dotted line, get it in writing. That way, you can hold them accountable for any wrong-doing and potential malfeasance.

MANY people in Canada have taken that dive only to find out that they spent $1500.00 (or more) for absolutely nothing. The reality is that the bankruptcy industry does whatever they can to sell you into the programs. It is not like many of these people have taken the dive intentionally.

There is a difference between freely jumping and being pushed.

Post Reply Post Reply