This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDisclosure of Spouse’s Financial Info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Confused1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Confused1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disclosure of Spouse’s Financial Info
    Posted: 25/May/2005 at 9:28am
Hi,

I new as of today.  I pay NCO Financial what I can afford every month without fail.  They have called and demanded I disclose my husband's financial information by the end of May or the Bank of Nova Scotia will launch a Class Action Suit against me. 

I don't work and my husband supports me and our two children.  NCO says that although I am paying them every month, I still need to give my husband's financial information.  When I signed the contract for my student loan, I didn't even know my husband.  He is not responsible for my bills as far as I know.  Am I wrong?  Am I legally obligated to disclose information that is not legally mine to give?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sincerely, 

Confused1 
For those who understand, no words are necessary. For those who do not, no words are possible. ~Unknown Author...
Sponsored Links

BigFatherA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFatherA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/May/2005 at 1:11pm
A class action suit eh? BNS is a single entity - ergo no class action suit possible.  I'll have to add that one to my collection of collection agent lies

Second, since your husband didn't (co)sign your loan, your debt is not his problem.  I'd tell them to get stuffed. 

Read the section on this site about dealing with collection agencies (on the main page menu bar under "Student Loan Info").  Heck read it all, the best free info on the net is there.

BigFatherA
Priest & Teacher
non carborundum illegitemi est
White Tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2005 at 12:27pm
Hi:  I totally understand how you feel, I have been with my boyfriend for about 3 years and he is the major breadwinner.  He has already helped me and my children out so much, but I fear that if he is faced with having to pay back my student loans that he may throw in the towel.  It wouldn't be fair for them to take into account my boyfriend's income he wasn't there when I was getting my education, he never agreed that he would pay for them!  I am in the same dilemna I don't know what to do either.  It seems to me that this website is great for not feeling like you are alone, however I haven't been able to find any really clear answers to my questions. Have you?
Sherrylee
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2005 at 12:33pm

Your boyfriend will not be held responsible to pay your student loans.

Ask me your questions and I will answer them.

Johnny

www.cfwgroup.ca

PS116 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PS116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2005 at 12:22pm

Hi,

This is something I've been wondering about. I was given a layoff notice last month and when I called CIBC and the NSLSC about deferring my payments until I was employed again, they told me that I would not be eligible for interest relief because I am married and my husband is responsible for my payments. It didn't sound right to me because he has his own student loan payments to make PLUS he has to now support me while I'm looking for a job. He has to pay for our rent, bills, and food, so I don't see how they can expect him to pay on my student loans aswell. Especially when the agreement clearly says that if you become unemployed your payments stop. What was the final outcome from you folks who have already been confromted with this?

Thanks....

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2005 at 1:18pm

This is one of the many problems with the sysem. This the government's way of saying "tough luck". Repayment is based on total income in the household.

It is rather barbaric. Remember, the system is designed to reap profit. While people are on interest relief or extended-term studies, the profitability goes way down because they (lending administrations) actually have to spend money managing these loans while borrowers continue their journey. This is a hard cost to them in their view. If you combine this with the common trends associated with mismanagement and negligence commited by the service center (lost IR or COE forms, etc), maybe it is rally more than just humar error. 

There are media people looking for this type of stuff. You should talk to them.

Johnny

White Tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2005 at 5:55am
Thank you for the reply Johnny I appreciate it.  How long do they usually wait before it goes to court?
Sherrylee
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2005 at 7:07am

It all depends. Each case is different.

It could take as long as the limitations will allow it to happen, or it could happen suddenly without notice. Each case is different.

People can join www.cfwgroup.ca and purchase an hour (or a block) of time just to learn about these things and prevent bad things from happening. These people have a greater chance of recovery and success because they are now aware of what is happening in plain view.

I hear the following opening statements many times daily from people who owe Canadian student loans:

“It really sucks not knowing what I am up against …” 

“I am on medication now because I can’t handle the stress and panic attacks. I worry, and live in fear of what will happen next …”

… and many others.

Awareness is an empowering property that ALWAYS leads to wellness. In your case, it will be the solution providing you have all the facts. Then, you are better equipped to handle and potentially solve the problem.

The good news is that if you can’t solve it on your own, I can solve it for you. And you do not even have to leave your home – no matter where you live on this globe. Absolutely convenient, private, and comfortable for everyone.

Johnny

www.cfwgroup.ca

www.cfwgroup.ca/forum

countrygirl2094 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countrygirl2094 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2005 at 3:01am
Now that CBCL no longer deals with my loan, and now that it will be redirected to a new collection agency, it is safe to assume that I will have to fill out a new information sheet detailing our household income, bills, etc........I have seen on numerous posts how we are not obligated to divulge any personal information on our spouses.  Yet we are obligated to submit proof of household income, proof of mortgage payments, etc........ How do I do this without giving them any info on my husband?  Don't I have to give a copy of notice of assement?  Copy of our mortgage papers?  I just want to prepare myself for when I do hear from the new collection agency.  Knowledge is power!!   I have been able to deal with CBCL problem free for over a year.  The agent I dealt with was compliant, polite, and very well aware that I was informed, thanks to this site! 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2005 at 3:29am

Hi Girl,

The government and collection agencies look to recover more than just money. Information gathering is the fuel that drives the collection and recovery machine. Unfortunately, the federal government places mandates that must be followed, or off to the big bad wolves (worse than just collections) you go.

This is what people need intervention and direct navigation. You, as a borrower in default, have no real say in what they do to recover money owed by you. If they want to "play around" and cause you some stress, they will do so. It is the nature of that industry's beat within.

If you have an advocate that is effective in getting the results you need, and is capable of walking through that bureaucratic maze, and guaranteeing your - and your spouse's protection in every aspect of student loan indebtedness, then your porblem is solved.

We/I can do that for you. Or, we can teach you how to do it for yourself. The costs are MUCH lighter if we do it for you because it will take 1/10 of the time to perform and solve it.

Johnny

www.cfwgroup.ca

www.cfwgroup.ca/forum

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
phreakgeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phreakgeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2005 at 3:30am

Johnny

what is the cost?

and how do i know your business is in it for us..

(this is not meant to take a stab at you) only questions i need to ask.

i have issues with nordon and i want them fixed. i need to know what i can do and how to deal with them..

thanks

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2005 at 1:55am

Hi phreak,

The cost would depend on what tpye of service you require, and the needs you have.

Read the testimonials. If that does not satisfy your apparent concerns, contact me and we will talk.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2005 at 4:42am
Hi Phreak Geek..
I can personally vouch for Johnny. He is on YOUR side not the collectors, banks or govt. He does a great job.

Make the call and talk to him and you'll know what I mean.

Mark
canadian girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadian girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2005 at 2:16pm
Yes Johnny is on your side and he will do everything he can for you.
countrygirl2094 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countrygirl2094 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2005 at 1:17am
Thanks Johnny, but I really can't afford your services.  You have no idea how tight my budget is.  With christmas and birthdays coming, every extra penny is spoken for.  I want to continue making my payments for my loan as usual but I just want to avoid giving them info on my husband.  I guess I'll try to figure this one out myself.......thanks anyway.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2005 at 3:12am

No worries. If you ever have questions or need general assistance, you can do so from my site's forum. www.cfwgroup.ca/forum

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
debtsucks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debtsucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2005 at 5:45pm
Yep, had lots of these financial forms sent to me and have not filled one out yet, nor will I because they ask for my  spouses financial information! I went bankrupt not her!  Duuuhhhh!!!  Just cause the government  says something doesn't make it so! I know the government doesn't want the population to believe this even though we live in a so called free speech country!  These are just politicians and  bureacrats making up laws to  make certain departments look better as far as recovering  money from CSLs and basically they, the bearucrats and politicians, could care less about those of us who have had problems.  I say to them, as I said to David Cogliatti, how do you sleep at night  knowing you are screwing over the less fortunate! God if I had a bunch of money I would pay off my loan after I finish sueing the crap out of CIBC for what they have done to me. So I am at a stalemate with these jack asses and when something goes in a wrong direction for me I will contact Johnny. I just want there to be justice but our system is clearly not setup for that! Remember this as it is a system of law not a system of justice. A lawyer once told me this and it certainly rings true! So, my situation is like most of you out there, bankrupt, barely earning a living, loans which should have been wiped out with bankruptcy, embarrassed by the fact you've gone bankrupt, on antidepressants, phone calls everyday from collectors. What a life! Maybe a bridge jump with the Canadian flag wrapped round me will get their attention. Nah, death would just be an inconvenience for the politicians and collectors, quickly brushed under the carpet! After all business must continue and Paul Martin has to look like some fat pig financial saviour for Canada not a human being!
 Post Reply Post Reply