This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI just wish they’d all go away

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
missmja75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missmja75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I just wish they’d all go away
    Posted: 08/June/2005 at 6:18am

I have had my student loans for a few years now and I have moved from city to city unlisting my phone number in an attempt to hide from the collection devils but some how they seem to hunt me down and find me do I go through the same process all over again, changing my phone number, returning all mail pretending they have the wrong address and eventually when it gets to stressful, I up root my children and move to yet another city hoping for a few years of peace.  I have 2 children and a 3rd on the way and my husband has a student loan as well his is about $9000.00 and they call him all the time at work and bother him there. But me I just get a new job when they find me. I can't deal with the stress anymore, I feel like I'm going to lose my mind sometimes. I owe about $32,000.00 in student loans and have other loans that are with credit collection devils too and in total I owe about $50,000.00.  I've tried credit counseling and other things but nothing seems to work so I just hide from them all.  If I could turn back time I'd never go to school! I'd just graduate high school and be poor and happy instead of poor, indebt and miserable. I cant even buy a house because my credit sucks! So I just keep renting and throwing my money away to a greedy landlord that's happy I'm paying his mortgage for his awful house that has mice, mould, leaky windows an a dozen other things.  When my 10 years are up and I no longer have to hide I will be the FIRST one into the court to declare bankruptcy! I know there are consequences to doing that too but at least the debt will be gone and I won't have to hide anymore, and hopefully this never ending depression will leave me alone!

MissMJ
Sponsored Links

liliana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liliana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/June/2005 at 7:31am

Hi I just read your posting and I wanted to cry. I am so sorry for what you are going through. I can totally understand. My student loan debt is higher and I am experiencing collection agencies now. My son is graduating and it makes me disgusted to tell him to not attend university or take 10 years to go to school instead of applying for student loan.

Hang in there, someone has to help us one day.

overcollected View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overcollected Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/June/2005 at 5:30am

I understand your predicament perfectly.  I have been trying to pay off my student loan for six years now.  I blissfully attended university thinking that life would be magical after graduation and that I could easily make the payments...what a joke.  I have never really been afraid of the collection agences; I have been threatened with legal action so many times I can't count.  However, this whole mess has made me a basket-case.  If I had to do it all over again, I would never have attended post-secondary education, as the jobs I seem to find now use none of my qualifications.

I, like you, am just trying to survive.  Yet, these collection agencies seem to think that by suing you, money will flow from your veins.  I almost wish there were a debtor's prison so that I could pay off my debts by time served, instead of having them over my head.  I have always made payments, but somehow that hasn't been good enough.  I never intended not to pay back my loan...probably no one goes into it thinking they'll never pay it back.  Unforeseen circumstances always get in the way.  Higher education turned out to be a gamble, and I seemed to have lost...I guess that's why the loan sharks are after me. 

bice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2005 at 4:00am
I feel for you both! I am in the same position and just feel so helpless! I
want to pay the debt, I did ask for the money in the first place, and while
my education is of no practical use whatsoever, at least I enjoyed getting
it.. but I haven't enjoyed much since! I have been thinking the same
things about debtor's prison - time is something I've got, I could give
them that and gladly, but money I just haven't got.

I'm not scared of the collectors, exactly - even if they did take me to
court, that wouldn't put any money in my pocket to give them - but it's so
draining - no matter whether I dodge them, or actually talk to them
there's really nothing I can say that they want to hear, and all I do is
become exhausted, having the same non-conversation over and over!
silence2long View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silence2long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2005 at 5:00pm

Call Display works wonders....because yes it is exhausting having the same non-conversation with them.  They think that they need to know everything about you....... but hey you have a right to your privacy.  If it gets too bad.......turn the ringer off for a few days, it is actually quite nice.

Call D lets you know who did call...like family or friends that you do want to talk too....then just call them back.

As for at work......there are laws against that.  They do have to stop if you put it in writing.

silence is a form of fear...fear of the unknown...has kept me silent too long
bice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/July/2005 at 11:51am
yeah, we don't have call ID but we have a code ring that friends and
family know to use and we only answer that. I'm not going to pay for a
call ID unit when not having money for the people who call is my
problem! LOL

As for work - well, if I had a job they could call me at, I'd have money for
them!

I'm so glad I found this site - it's helpful just to not feel alone with the
situation, and the support and advice is simply amazing.
silence2long View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silence2long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/July/2005 at 4:58pm

Bice,

To me call display is worth the extra money.......that way nobody else (family/friends) need to know that I have CA's calling me.

Unknown name/Unknown number......Unknown name/Long Distance is either a CA or a telemarket/survey...etc.  None of which I need in my day.....but whatever works for you.  I like to be the one that iniates the call..... at a time that suits me ...not them.

You are far from alone........that is the sad thing about the way the system works.  Stick around...ask questions, we all learn as we go along.  Things that pertain to one person may not to another, I am glad that you have found this site...for you !!  It has done wonders for me. 

It is the only place... and people that have given me answers to the many questions that I have had for years....so don't be afraid to ask.  I thank the many people who are here...and have given me support... over the past 6 months (gosh...it has been 6 months ??)  I feel blessed to have found this site.......thanks to MARK for creating it.

I have been misguided/lied to/cheated out of opportunities for close to a decade........and felt the guilt.....I came about this site....... and I am beginning to feel better....well again.  I realize that I AM NOT ALONE......and unfortunately there are people in worse shape than me.  This site reminds me of that........ and the Poor ME...seems to go away.  I am able to better deal with the issues in a more productive way than before.

I wish you luck with your ordeal.

silence is a form of fear...fear of the unknown...has kept me silent too long
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/August/2005 at 9:11am

Amen.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Observer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/August/2005 at 10:13am

At one time there was discussion of taping the incoming calls.

I just recently heard from a consumer who had done that. They then proceeded to send the transcripts of 9 calls made over a 4 day period to the Agency's president, the Credit Grantor who contracted the agency, and the Ministry responsible for the Collection Agency Act.

As well they contacted and retained a lawyer (on contingency fee basis) who has dealt with similar matters, the Agency was sent a letter stating that they were filing a claim and civil suit for harassment, etc. Guess what!!... they (The Agency) settled before it got out of hand and before either the creditor or the Gov could respond. Ever since Tran Vs Federal Debt Recovery some consumers are starting to wise up.

But the caveat is you really have to know what you are doing and be very well versed in collections.

Retired Collection and Credit Executive
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/August/2005 at 10:25am

I have a few clients who are in that same process. Trans vs FDR set a nice little precedent.

In fact, we have many different recordings. Eshelton, you can add comment on this one.

Those recordings will shock the nation when they are heard. someday soon.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
missmja75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missmja75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/December/2005 at 5:20pm
Well since I wrote my first posting here at the top of this page, I have moved again to a much nicer home but for more money that I don't have to spend especially now that I have a new baby boy that's going to be 3 months old on the 8th of Dec. I'm on Maternity leave now so I'm receiving EI so the money is even less then before, now I make a Whopping $444.00 a month. And the one student loan alone wants $391.00/month......Ummm Okay? We are going to the food bank for food again (Humiliating) and my kids are not going to have much for Christmas but at least we'll have each other, If I were to lose them then I would have nothing to live for. I'm going to see a psychiatrist now and it helps a teeny tiny bit with the stress but it would still be nice if i could make my debts just disappear (or at least the creditors!. I haven't had any phone calls lately because of the move and the new unlisted phone number but those buggers found me just weeks after moving and the mail has started.....I don't open them I just write return to sender on it.....It kind of makes me happy to do it, even though I know its REAL bad news inside. Well if anyone has figured out a way to get blood out of a stone yet...please let me know!!
MissMJ
 Post Reply Post Reply