This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedComic Relief - It;s always good to Laugh!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Casey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comic Relief - It;s always good to Laugh!
    Posted: 15/August/2005 at 4:52pm

I find that something like this, though not the cure, does give a short relief from the problems and worries.. We all need to have a laugh from time to time.

This was supposed to have been printed in the New York Times but no mention of date was in the email that it came to me.

Wouldn't it be nice to give some of this back CSL, the banks and collectors.. 

Have good for a laugh..

-------------------

"Dear Sir:

I am writing to thank you for bouncing my check with which I endeavored to pay my plumber last month.

By my calculations, three 'nanoseconds' must have elapsed between his presenting the check and the arrival in my account of the funds needed to honor it. I refer, of course, to the automatic monthly deposit of my entire salary, an arrangement which, I admit, has been in place for only eight years.

You are to be commended for seizing that brief window of opportunity, and also for debiting my account $30 by way of penalty for the inconvenience caused to your bank.

My thankfulness springs from the manner in which this incident has caused me to rethink my errant financial ways.

I noticed that whereas I personally attend to your telephone calls and letters, when I try to contact you, I am confronted by the impersonal, overcharging, pre-recorded, faceless entity which your bank has become.

From now on, I, like you, choose only to deal with a flesh-and-blood person. My mortgage and loan payments will therefore and hereafter no longer be automatic, but will arrive at your bank by check, addressed personally and confidentially to an employee at your bank whom you must nominate.

Be aware that it is an offense under the Postal Act for any other person to open such an envelope. Please find attached an Application Contact Status which I require your chosen employee to complete.

I am sorry it runs to eight pages, but in order that I know as much about him or her as your bank knows about me, there is no alternative.

Please note that all copies of his or her medical history must be  countersigned by a Notary Public, and the mandatory details of his/her financial situation (income, debts, assets and liabilities) must be accompanied by documented proof.

In due course, I will issue your employee with a PIN number which he/she must quote in dealings with me.

I regret that it cannot be shorter than 28 digits but, again, I have modeled it on the number of button presses required of me to access my account balance on your phone bank service. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Let me level the playing field even further. When you call me, press buttons as follows:

1-- To make an appointment to see me.
 2-- To query a missing payment.
 3-- To transfer the call to my living room in case I am there.
 4-- To transfer the call to my bedroom in case I am sleeping.
 5-- To transfer the call to my toilet in case I am attending to nature.
 6-- To transfer the call to my mobile phone if I am not at home.
 7-- To leave a message on my computer.
     (A password to access my computer is required. A password will be
      communicated to you at a later date to the Authorized Contact.)
 8-- To return to the main menu and to listen to options 1 through 7.
 9-- To make a general complaint or inquiry, the contact will then be put on hold,
     pending the attention of my automated answering service. While this may, on
     occasion, involve a lengthy wait, uplifting music will play for the duration
     of the call.

Regrettably, but again following your example, I must also levy an establishment fee to cover the setting up of this new arrangement.

May I wish you a happy, if ever so slightly less prosperous New Year.

Your Humble Client

-------------------

Casey . . .

Sponsored Links

polyhymnia61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyhymnia61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/August/2005 at 2:44am

Awesome, Casey!!

And good to hear from you...hope things are going okay...

Poly

Home is where you are allowed to prosper.
Casey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/August/2005 at 9:40pm
Hi Poly,

I hope you are doing well!

I'm doing good, considering I still the darn SL hanging over me and still on SA.. My son finally graduated from high school in June, he's taking a bit longer than others but not bad for being developmentally delayed..  The current project is getting him working.. This is a tough one as he still hasn't grasped the reality that staying at home is not option..  Financially it's killing me.. SA has cut our funding to the point that we are just scraping by.. It's really been tough since the end of June.. Someone asked the other day what we were doing for summer holidays.. Ya right.. Well we did treat ourselves.. went to Burger King.. they had wooper jr. and fries on for $2.. 

On the brighter side, I do have my physical health. Also, mentally,  I'm feeling a lot better.. Partly because, as I get older, I don't care as much about what other people think.. I know that I'm doing the best I can despite the problems and road blocks.. I'm trying to get back to work.  It's not easy at my age but despite not hearing back from my first job application I'm not giving up.. I'm more ready to work than I have been in a long time!  It sure would be nice to have some $$.. Even minimum wage would be a lot better than the little we are getting from SA now..  Sure would be nice not having to get groceries for the bargain/reject bins..

Ya, I know it will likely send the CA on a feeding frenzy but I'm not going to let them bother me.. I thinking that if I had some money maybe I could get get Johnny or some one to help me with the SL thing..  I'd sure like to get rid of the whole mess and have a bit of a normal life for my remaining years! I've paid far more in stress, mental health, loss of freedom and liberty etc. than anyone should ever be expected to.. 

Oh well onward and forward.. Less than 4 years to go before I can collect my Canada Pension!.. Gee, it's hard to believe I'm getting that old! All we can do ins hang in and keep on trucking.. One day at a time etc..  We are the survivors!

Casey . . .

Post Reply Post Reply