This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA couple questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Emhyrst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emhyrst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A couple questions
    Posted: 22/September/2003 at 9:00am
Hi all,
If anyone can enlighten me that would be great...

First off, can I get into trouble for lieing to the collection agency???
They have been calling the house I am staying at and finally got a hold of my boyfriend.   It is his house and he told them that there is no one here by that name and to stop clogging up the answering machine.
They have not called back since. Am I getting myself in more trouble by not acknowledging them??? Could this be held against me in the future.
In reality I have been staying here for over a year.

Secondly, sorry I am totally new to this whole thing, what is this court case that has been mentioned about moving the 10yr rule down to a 5 yr rule. Is this really going to happen???

Does this mean I can finally claim bankruptcy and get this devil off my back.

Right now I am unemployed, about to have a baby and living with my boyfriend who is a gentelman and is kind enough to support me (but as much as he would like to can not afford my student loan payments).
Sponsored Links

shameless View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2003 at 9:35am
Annik Chenier case goes to court supposedly on the 19th of November. It is a challenge of bill C36 passed by john cretin monster and his evil band of gravy train robbers. You might want to start thinking of opening a hotell....perhaps in Shawinigan. I hear they give cheap rates on gov't loans up there. Don't talk to anyone over the phone. Only via correspondence. Nothing exists unless it is in writing. Including there threats and your responses or your inquiries/requests ect. EVERYTHING IN WRITING. EVERYTHING. Take things at your pace. You can get a cheap little device $5 at radio shack that you can hook up to your phone that enables you to attach a recorder to record any harassing phone calls. Everyone is nicer when they know they are being recorded. Just play back a little of there message and tell them if they persist you will take them to court for harassment. Have a look at the entire message board there is some good advice here and there. Don't spend too much time on this site it will depress you . good luck
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2003 at 7:14am
Emhyrst

Why should you be worried about lying to the collection agency when they do it all the time. They called my accounting department and lied about why they were wanting my payroll information.

Besides I have lied to them for the past 5 years.
help_is_here View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote help_is_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/September/2003 at 6:19am
There is really no need to lie to them. If the instill fear in a person;s mind.. the defense mechanism is to tell them what they want to hear.. or lie to avoid exposure.

They can be dealt with responsibly and professionally without you having to hide .. or run from them. TYhe agency cannot talk to your boyfriend, or anyone else for that matter. If you would like, I can intercede and help you get the monkey off of your back.

Johnny

cfwgroup@tekcity.net
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/September/2003 at 4:44am
If you intercede will it cost any money?

Mark
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote help_is_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/September/2003 at 6:22am

No...except for hard costs which are minor. In many cases there are none. If one of my facilitations requires a satisfaction piece for example, it will cost the individual $50.00. My time on this site is free of charge, my friend.

John
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/September/2003 at 6:56am
John

Please give me some examples of ways in which you can help?

How have you helped others in the past?

Thanks for your time

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote help_is_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/September/2003 at 7:23am

I can help in many ways, as I had said before. Some examples for you are:

1)CSL ammendment and reconciliation
2) Collection agency interventions
3) Education and Action planning
4) Financing solutions
5) Credit education and navigation
6) Stress management
7) Gambling crisis intervention
8) Employee wellness programs for business
9) Youth intervention and navigation
10) Psycho-nutrition

... thesae are a few of the areas of my expertise.
cfwgroup@tekcity.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote help_is_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/September/2003 at 10:31am
I can help in various ways. Unfortunately, the extreme measures do cost money. The incidentals and minor problems are easy to soothe... so it won;t cost anything. I donate as much of my time to the community as I can.

Johnny
cfwgroup@tekcity.net
ginettebeauvais View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginettebeauvais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2004 at 6:34pm
Hi John,

I'm glad you are here to help and thank you for donating your time. You're doing a very precious thing for all of us!

My question is: I am receiving Ontario Works/Social Assistance and I do have a Legal Certificate, do you accept those?

Also, I have been making direct deposit payments of $10.00 a month into the account of "Global Credit". As per trying to make this months payment their account was closed. I have reported them for rudness and no longer answer the phone when they call. In addition, I've never received any correspondance, letters, or any info about/from them or who they are?
Can you help!

Ginny from Northern Ontario
ginettebeauvais View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginettebeauvais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2004 at 6:48pm
Hi John,

I forgot to mention that my default student loan is with CIBC.

thanks

ginny from Northern Ontario
Kitlani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitlani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/May/2004 at 6:48pm
Never lie to collection agencies. That action just provides proof of your 'seeming' disrespect and mal-intentions. Just because the agencies sometimes lack courtesy does not mean you should.  There is no need to, so do not waste your energy.  All  you can do is politely pay what you are able to pay with the best intentions. If that is not good enough..tough.. let them threaten all they like... they cannot turn down offered payments.. something I did not know before I found this site.  Thank you John for all your advice.
fanofcibc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofcibc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2004 at 7:22am
Kitlani is right. They can not turn away an offered payment. Now this is my personal opinion but by lying to the collection agencies, you are giving them ammunition. You are also giving them a reason to be the a**es they are. Why do you think that some of them are really pushy? Calling you a liar and such. Probably because they have dealt with other people that have behaved(lied) in that way and they get the job done faster because eventually you will give in. Most collection agencies, if you are fairly nice, will try to work with you, unless it relates to student loans...as we all know.
butterfly_angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butterfly_angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2004 at 10:49pm
I do understand that it is important to pay your student loan. I am currently in a situation where I am being kicked off the OPD program and am on my own. I would like to continue making payments and will try to do so however it is extremely frustrating that my payments don't even cover the interest.    I am tempted to give up. What is the point of paying for the next couple years to no avail. The interest keeps accruing and the debt getting larger and larger. I would stop making payments all together but am afraid of the subsequent garnishing of my wages where they are bound to take more than I can afford. I am going in circles with no end in sight. I am currently holding a work visa for another country and am very tempted to just leave even tho I have never been one to run from my problems. I have a job that pays resonably but still find myself struggling to get by. I am currently looking into consumer proposals. Perhaps Johnny or somebody can provide more relevant information on how they work. Otherwise I am outta here.
Butterfly Kisses
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2004 at 4:00am

What ever you do, butterfly, don't give up. If OPD couldn't help you, how do you think bankruptcy will? OPD is bankruptcy. Some will say that OPD isn't, however, OPD is a program that is governed by the bankruptcy and insolvency act. A consumer proposal will cost you more, and you would be put on a repayment plan for 5 years. After that, you are on your own if you do not pay within that 5 year period of time. I just do not see how bankruptcy would be your solution from what you have described.

I can help you fix this problem for less than one third of what bankruptcy will cost you. The choice is yours.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
overdue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overdue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/November/2004 at 5:58am
Just received a call from Alliance One last  night the man asked me to fax him the questionaire as soon as possible.  Really don't want to send it to them.  So could someone give me a little advice.  I have been  sending them as much as I can when I can.  I know that is no that much but it is all I can afford.  Also received a letter say that if I don't send them what they want.  Mention legal action!!!! Help!!!
Islander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/November/2004 at 6:18am

DO NOT ANSWER THE QUESTIONNAIRE !!!!!!!!

Read this forum.

Check back. We'll help.

Don't do anything without checking with those who can help; the whole idea of the CAs is to get you to respond quickly and without advice!

What? Me, worry?
Alfred E Newman
kwelmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwelmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/November/2004 at 6:24am

Overdue,

Do not panic!  They are definitely using scare tactics with you.  You should be fine as long as you are making payments...doesn't matter how much...whatever you can afford.  They can't refuse any payment.

There are other posts on this site where it explains reasons for legal action.  Lots of Johnny's posts explain these things, as well as, the scare tactics/psychological tenderizing.

overdue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overdue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/December/2004 at 4:22am
Thanks!  So how do you deal with them when they call???  Got a call from a guy at Alliance One  said something about within the next 48 hours to call back.  Then what?? 
collywobbles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collywobbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/December/2004 at 5:32am

Then they'll call again and try to ratchet up the pressure.  That's all.  They're just trying to rattle your cage, because as long as you're making some payments, that is the only tool they have to try to pry the full amount out of you.  Don't let them panic you!

To reiterate what Islander and kwelmm have said -- Don't panic and don't send them information to which they are not entitled.  Additionally, I highly recommend recording their phone calls -- you can either use software called Callcorder which uses your modem and records to your hard drive (it's a free trial for the first 30 days, US$30 to buy) or pick up a little hardware device from your local Radioshack to attach to your phone line and plug into a tape recorder.

Start a thread on this forum and tell your story in a little more detail and odds are some of the sharper tacks will be able to give you some solid guidance.

collywobbles
plural noun

colloq:
1. Pain or discomfort in the abdomen.
2. Nervousness; apprehensiveness.

Etymology: 19c: probably from colic + wobble.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>