This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCan I relate...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I relate...
    Posted: 22/August/2005 at 8:37am

Does this site ever open up your eyes to similar events in ones life. I am having a very difficult time dealing with all my debts, student loans, personal loans, relationship etc...

I am a mid 30's male who wanted to have a better life do decided to go back to school for a career change 10 years ago. From student loans to getting personal loans I am in so much debt right now that is has just recently caused my wife and I to go our seperate ways.

As if it was not scary enough going back to school but have struggled since 1999 to have a full time employment. I recently moved from one coast to the other in hopes of better opportunities but 9 months have passed and still no work. I have applied for jobs that I am way over qualified for not even an interview. What is the secret. My hopes were my common law wife would make the move to join but she just recently said its nice not having the burden of me being on her shoulders. I don't even know how to cope with trying to stay positive, I sometimes think that it would be better if I just didn't continue on. I'm about 60K in debt and with no job and not having any luck finding work, I have no idea what to do to stay motivated or go on.

I'm not sleeping very well, starting to sleep in, keep thinking about my ex, the debts etc... I am an excellent worker and have skills but I am starting to now feel I am not confident enough being out of work so long. At this age I feel, not only like a loser but I am starting at square one again and in such deep debt. I just don't know anymore.

Sponsored Links

janet604 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janet604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/August/2005 at 9:05am
Shasta,

You seem so sad it breaks my heart. I am so sorry that your wife left you because of all of this. You have come to a good place.....there are some wise, very helpful people here.

I so often fear that my husband, too, will bid me goodbye if the wolf shows up at my door (though he has said and done nothing to justify my anxiety).

Have you talked to your doctor about the way you are feeling? I suspect that with the right medication, things might not seem so hopeless. I do not mean to dismiss the gravity of your situation, I can truly see the intensity of your pain.

Shasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/August/2005 at 10:49am

Thank you for your understanding. I don't even have a doctor at this new area. I had been thinking about suicide for sometime now but had a good chat with my parents of how I was feeling. It was more getting things off my chest and maybe I needed to see someone since I was not handling things too well. I'm sure things will get worse before they get better but I thought what good would it do to not be around. I am very depressed and I know I am the only one who can get my butt in gear but it's difficult.

I guess I am more devastated by my wife leaving since we had such a good relationship at first and I was so hoping to show her all the new places we could go. So while I was trying to plan out our future she was planning on severing the relationship. I guess money meant more to her.

At this late in life, my dreams of having a family and being settled are obviously just that, a dream. I am trying to get involved in some weekend events to keep my mind busy and to just network with others but everyday is a struggle and although I may wake up with a 'to do' list, it seems my depression sucks the wind from under my sails and end up with a not so productive day.

Gathering from the members here I am not alone in the quest for happiness and a debt free existance.

silence2long View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silence2long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/August/2005 at 11:15am

( So.... I post again... !!! )

Shasta,

I know that you are devastated by your present situation... but it will get better.  Some of the darkest moments in our lifes are the times before the light shines on us.

Believe that it will get better.... don't be so hard on yourself.  It sounds like you are already taking some steps to help you to stop feeling this way.. keep at them, something will work....

You can go to the hospital.. and they will recommend a doctor, if you feel you need to go this route.

I have my ups and downs on a weekly basis... sometimes I am very depressed or pissed off at the world.  A nap is helpful... sometimes we do just need a break from all the crap..... must do this... must do that... can't do this... can't do that.

Lots of peeps around here... don't be afraid to ask questions.  I wish you the best of luck.... Hang in there.... we have all felt like this.  Debt is a monster... it makes us feel lifeless.  Take back your life !!!

silence is a form of fear...fear of the unknown...has kept me silent too long
janet604 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janet604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/August/2005 at 11:38am
It seems to me that you are confusing two issues. It looks as if you realize that you will not have "the life that you have planned on" , and you are interpreting that to mean that you will not have "a life worth living".

But, it is difficult (if not impossible) to see that distinction while you are in the depths of depression. I am almost certain that Dr. at a walk in clinic would either be able to help, or refer you to someone who can.

And, mid 30's is not so old to give up hope of having a family. But again, the family you heart longs for may not be the "family you always wanted".   Could you open your heart to a single mom and her children, or an orphan?

But, first things first. You MUST get some medical attention. Really. Really. Just to think clearly. Please, please, see a physician.
janet604 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janet604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/August/2005 at 12:03pm
Shasta,

I'm just checking the forum............hoping to see that you have been to a Dr. Maybe when I check back tomorrow, you'll have been .

Also, I just want to pass on some "advise" that really helps me when I have the "financial blues". That is........

If you could make a point each day of enjoying something in life that is wonderful and FREE....spend some time in a park under a tree (sounds corny, but works for me), call your grandma or someone else who loves you, find a religious community where you will find companionship and meaning (and single women? .

Anyway, you are on my mind and I will be watching for you posts.

J.
Shasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2005 at 8:33am

Thanks for checking in. I have not went to see anyone. I do go down to the local marina alot but I can never just relax. There has been alot going on in my life recently. I actually had moved clear across Canada 9 months ago for greener pastures for myself and wife and thats when everything had dissolved. Still struggling to find employment after all my relatives told me don't worry both move here and you will find work. Well my skill set is not that desirable here, I'm IT and its mainly Industrial here.

So with the burden of debt and no way to start paying it off has been the real issue and one of the biggest causes of the split up. Things will get better once I am on track and able to at least start my repayments. I'm just in a slump and I'm off to see more or less a career service tomorrow and see what I need to do to get productive again.

The heartache and worrying will always be there but time will help. I would have to guess when your around 60K in debt it always seems hopeless but if I can get a permanent job and have a steady income I should be able to work something out.

Thank you for the checking back.

janet604 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janet604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2005 at 8:56am
Shasta,

You need to see a Dr. You are hoping to move forward, while at the botton of a rut.........an impossible task.

Also, from what I hear (hear and hear again) from the folks around here, John LeBlanc will likely be able to help you.

[Broken record speaking]....... go see a Dr.

You stated that you can not even relax at the marina.....classic depression/anxiety. Why suffer needlessly?

[broken record again].......Please get to a clinic.

J.
Casey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2005 at 12:57pm
Hi  Shasta,

I have personally experienced the same things so I really do understand and feel for you.

For now some of what is said may still be hard to accept.. please continue reading..

Right now, thing look really bad but please, don't make them worse. Life will go on and you will survive.. Yes, life as you knew it will change and in time you can learn to be happy with the changes.. For now you need to live one day at a time and if that is to difficult, one hour or one minute at a time..

Stop trying to figure out why things happened, why they went wrong or worry about how you will manage.. Forget about your debts, for the time being they are of no importance in your life. You must start over with you new life now..

First step is to take care of yourself! It is not a sign of weakness to ask for help.. do what ever you need to do.. Don't depend on family and friends to help you through this, often as much as they would like to, they can not for many reasons..  Often our hurting brings their personals hurts and problems to the surface, things they don't want to face or admit exist.. To avoid this some may even push us away. Don't fault them,  it's just the way things are.. don't let this bother you! This is something you must do on your own,  for yourself! 

SEE A DOCTOR
.. you may need some medication for a while to calm your nerves and allow you to sleep.. this is OK.  (don't let it become a habit or crutch.) Give your body the rest it needs to help you heal. Eat regular meals and try to get healthy food when ever possible. You need to stay healthy to survive.

Take care of your mental health! Check your area (look in the phone book) for community mental health services.. find what help is available.. You may find counseling helpful and maybe even being part of a group with other people experiencing similar life changing situations.. It can really help having an understanding uninvolved person so we can talk about this stuff with no one judging or placing blame on us..

PLEASE.. give it a try.. do what is necessary for your own mental and physical health!  Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, this is for you! Remember, Shasta, I say this because I care about you. I have personally experienced these thing and I tell you honestly of what I did to save myself.. 

My life has changed in may way, it definitely not the way I planed it. I've been single for may years, even though I'd like to have a mate, this is the way things are. It's not all bad and even has advantages.. As to my debts, I don't let them worry me, I know I can't afford to pay.. that's not my fault.. I now live my life without guilt.. I even treat myself from time to time if I manage to save a couple of dollars.. The banks and the government will survive without my paying them! I still carry the hurt of loosing my wife and children, that will always be a part of me. What has changed is that I no longer beat up on myself for what happened in the past.

It's been many years since I have worked or paid taxes.. Sorry, but it's not my fault.. I'd like to work but I'm limited in what I can do. I keep applying but so far no one has hired me.. it's likely because I'm getting too old.. In a few years I can collect my Canada Pension. Above all, I do not feel guilty or any less of a man. I contribute where I can. I help other and at time share what little I have to offer..

Shasta, PLEASE LISTEN... Take care of yourself! and remember you are with friends in this group!

Lift your chin up, look yourself in the mirror and smile! Tell yourself your an OK person! Try to be positive!

Even when times are bad, we are still so much better off in this country than so may others in the world! for some unfortunate people,  who's only fault was being born in the wrong country, everyday is a struggle to survive, just finding food and trying not to be killed..

Casey . .

janet604 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janet604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2005 at 3:39pm
AMEN

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2005 at 5:23am
Shasta,
If you're on the west coast and in vancouver, so am I. Email me at webmaster@canadastudentdebt.ca and we can chat. If you're on the east coast, then Johnny is out there - get in touch with him. Either way, you can still email me.

With my own debt situation, I've learned that I have to take care of myself and to practice gratitude for what I have... and have hope - daily hope, and perhaps pheonix hope - that one can rise above all of this and things will get better.

Mark
janet604 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janet604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/August/2005 at 5:12pm
Shasta,

I am checking once again to encourage you to get to a physician.

Please go, you'll likely feel better right away.....just because you'll know that you "did" something to help yourself.

J.

Shasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2005 at 7:24am

I'm back and doing much better. I did not go to a doctor, I just read through all the posts here and that made me feel a lot better. I took the advice and although being in debt is serious, I'm not going to worry about it as much. I do recognize I owe money and will do my best to repay once, I find employment. I can only do what I can.

Its been a long tough road trying to get over my significant other but you know if one part of the relationship is not going to be happy then both will be unhappy. So I am moving on and although some days are worse than others I will get back on my feet slowly but surely and will find that special person once again.

Post Reply Post Reply