This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedbankruptcy and default=no help for me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
missyg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bankruptcy and default=no help for me
    Posted: 06/October/2005 at 10:07pm
I am a bit confused here!  I have an overaward of 13000 that Revenue Services of BC is collecting.  I also have another loan of 18000 that is in collections with Total Credit Recovery. I filed bankruptcy in 2003, and never applied for any interst relief.  As far as I know interest relief and debt reduction do not apply to a person in my situation.  So I am wondering what can possibly be done about this 30000 dollar debt?  I hear all these wonderful posts about how John can help but I don't see what can be done.  Revenue services is asking for a financial report, and they want my bank account info. Do I really have to give this to them?  Total Credit Recovery is sending my a financial worksheet as well!!!  I am a single mom and I make enough money for us to live, but $30000 in debts will kill me!!  Is there really any way through this???
Sponsored Links

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2005 at 4:25am
John can work as an advocate. He could try to work out a settlement. He knows what forms to fill out, how to fill them out. He can act for you and have the calls come to him. He can advise you on how to get clear of this mess. He can help you deal with the collection agencies when they try to get a higher payment at the end of the month cause they want their commission.

You will have someone working for you, rather than the others who have their own vested interest in getting as much money from you regardless of your circumstances.

Instead of you having to put in all the energy into dealing with this, and learning all the laws and regulations... John does it for you.

At the very least, talk to him...

Hope this answers your questions...

Mark
digimon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/November/2005 at 4:00pm
Please don't suggest that John does not have a vested interest.  I have repeatedly read that he does charge a small fee and if only a small percentage of the traffic that comes through here and is directed his way pays that small fee then John is doing very well for himself.
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/November/2005 at 4:04pm

I suppose the several hundred probono cases I handle for people counts, huh?

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
digimon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/November/2005 at 4:07pm
I'm not challenging your motives Johnny.  I'm just suggesting that you do have a vested interest.  The more people from this site that do call you for help and pay the fee, the better,  Am I wrong about that?  A business is a business.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/November/2005 at 4:35pm

I do provide a service, and there are fees. This is a specialized service and it requires a great deal of my attention. However, I do help many individuals who do not have the resources to pay. I do provide information to this site.

If you want to discuss your situation with me, feel free to do so. However, if you would like help and a potential solution, this is where you will have to pay.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
dujylyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dujylyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/November/2005 at 9:36am
Hi Missyg, i am in very similar circumstances, past bankruptcy, dealings with revenue services bc and 2 other collection agencies...definitely relate to your frustration and confusion, especially re the income info sheets. so here's my experience with all this, thus far. when i became unemployed several months ago, i called the CA's. they wanted to send out those forms. i replied that i would not fill them in but would provide them with income and expense info on the phone and offered them minimal payments (20 a month each).they complained but are accepting my money and not phoning.
Now, revenue services of bc, whole different trip...when i called them, they were very nice, said i did not have tomake any payments for 6 months providing my financial statement was in. something like interest relief except the interest keeps rolling along. well, i looked carefully at this piece of paper and could not bring myself to sign it or send it in. not only do they want all your banking info, you are giving them authority to share "personal and financial info" with your financial institution and other ministries. see certification at the bottom of the page. if i sign this, am i not giving them the information and the authority to f#%k me over? so, i did not send it in. yesterday, i recieved a notification of legal action letter. it says to respond, pay in full or they will take legal action (thru rev can, my bank account, employers or assets). well, i have no assets and already owe rev can so they can fight over my gst rebate. but, dipping into my bank account is a worry. EI is not high living. if i call them, and fax/ send the income thing, legal action will possibly be stopped but it would be signed under duress. so much for living in a free country...free only if you do not owe money to the government. so,i will stop ranting. the point is, this is what can happen if you do not send it in.

i have no idea what to do. don't think i can afford you johnny...
if you cannot be a good example, you will just have to be a horrible warning
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/November/2005 at 9:45am

what do you need help with?

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
dujylyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dujylyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/November/2005 at 11:59am
what do i need help with? okay will try to put the overwhelmed feeling aside and get specific.

Revenue Services of BC has sent me a letter titled "notification of legal action". they are collecting my BC direct loan. if i do not respond to it, they will take one or more actions..you know, the usual. i have not called them yet so need to be armed with more info before i do.

1)I know that they cannot gauranshee ( how the heck do you spell that word?)my EI but can they raid my bank account?

2)is this letter all the warning that i will get if they do take action or are there other steps they take first?

3)financial report - i am willing to to provide them with my income and expense info but refuse to enter my bank info or to sign it. why? because signing it puts it in writing that i acknowledge the debt and authorizes them to share information with my bank, rev can, etc. when i signed for my student loans, i do not remember signing away my right to privacy. i guess what i want to know is, any idea what happens if i don't sign or provide all info they ask for? am i just being a bonehead to my own detriment?

4)

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/November/2005 at 3:32pm

Duj,

I do understand that you are having great difficulty with this. Your stress is clearly visible, and it is also clearly affecting your mind and health. I also understand that you have no ability to pay for service that will help you. The system has more power of you when you are not able to defend yourself. So, I will defend you.

First of all, BC Revenue Service is a third-party recovery agent for the Province of BC. They cannot do anything without the expressed consent from the BC Government. However, they are permitted to "scare" you, because that is what they are attempting to do. Itseems as though it has worked.

1. They cannot attach your EI benefits (garnish). If they want to sue to acquire a judgment, that woud be the only fruit of their labor (and sour fruit at that).

2. This letter you received is a threat thgat could very come to fruition if you do not act, correct.

3. This part of your quest is where the road bumps and larger obstacles start formation. Information is what they need to control you. It is time for you to shift the power back into your own circle. I will show you how to do this. Contact me tomorrow if you wish by email, and leave me a contact number for you and I will solve your problem in less than 20 minutes.

Johnny  

solvestudentdebt.com
old hippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old hippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2005 at 3:22am

.....sounds like a knight in shining armor dujylyn, and you've probably tie-dyed everything you can get your hands on already.  Hope I'm not making a nuisance of myself but it just enrages me when I think of all the bigger fish they have to fry.  I hope this works out for you.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2005 at 3:15pm

Hi Duj,

MAke sure you send me the email we talked about. It was nicew talking with you today.

Try not to worry. Things will owrk out just fine.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
dujylyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dujylyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2005 at 6:18am
Hi Johnny,

nice talking to you too, will get the e-mail off to you today.

Hi to you too Old Hippy, you could never be a nuisance.always appreciate your support. have moved on to patching and embroidering jeans...ran out of stuff to tye-dye.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2005 at 7:06am

Hi Duj,

I have most of the literatures complete. I will talk withyou later int he evening to go over some minor details.

Please let me know if you are available after dinner time.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
dujylyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dujylyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2005 at 10:32am
Hi Johnny, after dinner would be fine. dujylyn
 Post Reply Post Reply