This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMoved to the USA, am i safe here?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mosser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moved to the USA, am i safe here?
    Posted: 17/November/2005 at 12:58am

What will happen if ignore my $50,000 i owe in Canada and stay down here in the U.S?

Can "they" have access to me in another country?

Search for wisdom like lost gold or hidden treasure.
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/November/2005 at 3:38pm
Who knows. (?)
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Kucing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kucing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/November/2005 at 8:31pm

That certainly carries the virtue of brevity, though a harsh critic might suggest that it may just lack a little in the helpfulness department.

Mosser, if you were to flesh out the situation ever so slightly, there might just be a chance that you would get a response amounting to mare than 2 syllables and a ?

...we don't get fooled again!
Pete Townshend
Mersan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mersan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/November/2005 at 2:27am

There is a search on this forum and as well google does a pretty good indexing of this site.  Why should anyone have the responsibility of answering the same question over and over again if people are too lazy to search. 

There is plenty of discussion of the possibilities of action on this board for people in the US.  And if you search you will find the answer is who know's because there deos not seem to be a uniform policy.  Some people are left alone for years and some people are sued very quickly.  Each case is different.

A short question Kucing. I thought special permission was required to live on Pitcairn and this was seldom granted by the islanders who value their privacy.  How did you end up there? 

Kucing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kucing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2005 at 2:49pm

Just passing through, Mersan. Just what is your problem? I just took the time to read through some old posts and I think I can see a pattern.

I, for one, am deeply impressed at your erudition and I hope we all give you credit for recognising the reference.

One suggestion, though. If you don't feel like answering a question for a new member whom you deem "too lazy", you could always move on and let someone else take it. But then you wouldn't get to flame someone, I suppose.

Short answer, based on the info provided, Mosser:

50K is probably enough for them to assign it to an affiliate in the US. The likelihood of avoiding the debt until it's barred is dependant upon the information they have on you to start skip tracing. They'll put in some effort, but if the trail is completely cold the collectors/tracers will probably move on to something with better prospects for a payout.

You can expect their efforts to intensify as the limitations date approaches and if they find you when it's close, they'll make every effort to get it into court before that date.

That's the best I can do with what you've posted. I'm sure that Johnny could be more thorough if you want to pay for the advice.

And BTW, Mersan. Every country in the world requires some degree of permission (special or otherwise) to reside in. Pitcairn (where I was visiting) does as well, and it is considerably easier to acquire than it is a good many other places I have spent time.

...we don't get fooled again!
Pete Townshend
Mosser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2005 at 7:48am

Thanks Kucing,

Great info and good character to go along with it.

Appreciate your reply.

Mosser

Search for wisdom like lost gold or hidden treasure.
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2005 at 11:24am

First, you have to determine who it is that owe, whether it is one loan, or a split of risk, Provincial, and Federal Guaranteed.

The federal government will push action on you in the States. However, the bank would not be so inclined to do it. The larger risk you run while owing bank risk is whether or not that particular loan can be "put back", which is a progam sponsored by the feds that allows them top buy the debt(s) for a certain percentage. THey (the govenrment) would then be collecting from you instead of the bank.

These accounts are coded "CSL2's".

So, before anyone can tell you if or not you are safe, determine who you owe, and find a guarantee somewhere that they will not sue you.

Without that guarantee, you run the risk.

In the interim, what Kucing has said is correct. The third-party recovery group will start skip tracing to locate you, and then they will dig up information along the trail.

If/When Canada Revenue Agency proceds to anchor a judgment, they would immediately send the account to the Law Offices of G. Rosenburg in California, and his office would set the stage for the action. Once he locatesa legal agent in the State you reside in, then it will commence.

The government sues borrowers to ensure that the loan does not cross the limitation line. In other cases, it is to secure payment wheras a borrower is unwilling to repay - and is clearly able. However, the majority of legal actions that occur are due to limitation issues regarding guaranteed Canada Student Loans.

Best of luck!

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply