This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBC Loan Remission Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SusanfromAB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanfromAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BC Loan Remission Question
    Posted: 22/November/2005 at 4:08am

John, this question is directed your way and I was also wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

I earned a certificate in 1996 and then went back and finished my degree.  I attended school in BC for my certificate and AB for my degree.  My issue is this...when I applied for my loan remission, I was declined because my program was not oversubscribed in BC.  Fine, I'll accept the consequences of attending university in AB for my degree.  It just donned on me a couple of weeks ago, however, that I should have received loan remission for my CERTIFICATE! 

Is there any advice for this situation?  I know they say you have only a specified time in which to apply, but is there any recourse for this situation?

Thanks,

Susan

Hitting them hard!
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/November/2005 at 6:03pm

This is a tough one, Susan.

You would have to raise the argument with the lending authority. If you qualified for remission, and you were declined - or not given that option prior to default, then this is a valid argument.

If it can be argued that you were defaulted without being given adequate treatment, and you qualified for remission, which would have prevented default from occuring, this is what you have to do.

How long ago did this happen?

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanfromAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/November/2005 at 3:46am

Crap...I just typed a whole bunch of stuff and this stupid computer did something and it's all gone...darn it!  Okay, here I go again.....

I graduated with my certificate in 1996 (April) from a university-college in BC, then spent the next 2 years upgrading and taking intro courses for my degree.  I graduated with my degree in 2003 (April) from U of Calgary.

When I graduated, I couldn't find a job and as the 6-month "no payment" period was drawing to a close, I knew I couldn't make the payments, so I applied for Interest Relief.  During the 6 months I sent in my application for Loan Remission and was declined.  I appealed, but I think my reasoning was not what it would be today, since I have learned so much about the system since then.  I argued that I should be eligible for loan remission because the point of the program was to minimize student debt for those graduating from post secondary (it said something to that effect in their propaganda).  They responded that I did not meet the requirements of the program, that being going to university outside BC when my degree program was not oversubscribed. 

I acknowledge that I probably shouldn't be eligible for loan remission for my degree in AB, but the certificate was completed in BC.  

Since I started repaying my student loans in April-ish 2004, I have not defaulted.  There were some hiccups at the beginning (aren't there always?), but once we were on track, there have been no missed/late payments at all.  I have been fortunate that my husband & I have been able to make the payments, but at a detriment to starting a family.

I hope that answers some questions--let me know if you need more info!

Thanks.

Hitting them hard!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanfromAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/November/2005 at 3:33am

Hi Johnny;

Just wondering if you have had a chance to ponder over my issue here....any insight?  

Thanks,

Susan

Hitting them hard!
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/November/2005 at 5:27am

Hi Susan,

What institution did this decision come from? was it the BC Government? NSLSC/Edulinx? The Bank?

Here is the thing ...

The default rate in this country is high. So high that it is a phenomenon. The only reason that comes about is given by the lending administrations that it is the fault of the borrower, and not the institution(s). 

In you case, you have to argue the key points. Have the institution provide you with a statement explaining why you did not qualify for this benefit. You have right of access to this information.

If they were wrong, and caused you hardship in this regard, then you will succeed, and so will countless others by the precedent you will set as a result of your efforts.

First, let's identify the institution who told you all of this stuff, and then make the demand(s) in respect to right of access. Then, you will find yourself swimming in clearer water so you can see in front of you.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanfromAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2005 at 11:58am

Hi Johnny;

Well, I've done some digging in my files and I have a vague memory of being so pissed off with the whole "loan remission" denied issue, that I think I threw out the letters.  This is so strange, because I KEEP EVERYTHING (ask my husband--I'm a pack rat!)  For some strange reason, I retained the little information booklet that the sent to me to refer to for more information on why I wasn't eligible.

The document comes from the BC Student Assistance Program, BC Ministry of Advanced Education.

Since I had the number in hand, I just called them to find out what their side was of this.  I spoke with Jennifer who is in the Loan Remission & Management Unit.  In sum, according to her, because my last credential was ineligible for loan remission, my entire application is deemed null and void for the loan remission program.

She told me to write to the Director (Merv Scott)....

Any suggestions?

I think I'll start tearing the house apart in search of those letters--I find it hard to believe I actually threw them out....I know I was mad, but was I really that stupid????

Hitting them hard!
 Post Reply Post Reply