This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedgetting in the groove...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
old hippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old hippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: getting in the groove...
    Posted: 27/November/2005 at 1:17pm
I see how this game is being played now.  To date I have used up 4 ½ years of IR without a single problem.  Now all of a sudden there is a problem.  I filled out the application forms okay, but then I have a message to call the CIBC National Student Center.  I have to listen to that automated message telling me how much I owe with interest accruing daily every time I call.  I can see them sending me a form letter in the near future, asking me to please enclose my cheque for ¼ million dollars within the next 10 days.

I haven’t sent in my “Ontario loan repayment” form and my interest relief is being held up.  Kind of hard to send back something I’ve never received.  I did receive a “repayment summary” letter that the first person I spoke with sent me along with the IR application.  Something to do with extended interest relief and “this is just something we have to do” was her explanation.  Nothing in that letter said anything about signing and returning it and neither did she. 

The second person I spoke with told me to sign it and return it.  The third person told me that they would sent me the Ontario repayment form and I would need to sign and return it.  They will mail it to me.  I never received it.  All of a sudden, there is a problem with the mail.  The fourth person told me to fax the signed copy of the letter.  They didn’t receive the copy I sent in the mail. I faxed it this time. The fifth person told me that this wasn’t good enough; they need the signed copy of the Ontario repayment loan form.  I don’t have this form.  They will mail it.  The sixth person asks if I have a fax machine.  Why would I?  They will mail the Ontario repayment form again and now I have a deadline.  I can see where this is going.  As well, every time I call there is a different person who puts me on hold several times while they read their notes, talk to their supervisor, or whatever.  I think I’m getting the hang of this now.  I’m in the groove.  

I will get past this by paying for the use of a fax machine at the copy center to receive the form and then fax it back with the signature.

It’s just that I’m getting that familiar feeling of rising anger and helplessness.  (I have survived the welfare system and I can see a few similarities.....)  I want to just go there in person to sign their stupid form and have done with it.  I'd like to wring their necks.  But I’m trying to get into the Christmas spirit.  When I asked whether my application for IR was being affected by this, person #6 suggested  “we’ll see”.  I could feel that slight shift in power. My first gut reaction was to pack up my things, grab the cats and get out of here.  But no, I’m going to put up my Christmas lights instead.  

Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/November/2005 at 2:00am

You have my full attention, Hippy. Anything you need - you give me a holler.

I would like to help.

Johnny

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
nago View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2005 at 11:59pm
yep, what your talking about is all too familar--Its just like finding a job, or trying to get a pardon for a criminal record or just like welfare yep all the things I had to go through and now you too...your exactly right !!!

You dont have to do this to yourself. Johny can do it in 5 minutes

I kept a record in my debt reduction booklet and heres the hard numbers. Took me 100+ hours on the internet(look all my crazy post from jan 2005-aug 2005), 65+ hours on the phone, 40+ hours runing around getting paper work. I talked to over 15 different people from the bank, gov another 10--sometimes they got my paper work sometimes they didnt, sometimes a form was missing, sometimes they forgot to send my stuff to the gov. etc.

But what im slowly saying i I spent my whole days for six months straight dealing with this crap: Get up phone banks, get paperwork, deliver it. come home. no dinner-organize paperwork, go through a whole shoebox of paperwork. Library--internet internet

I finally, got so sick of it i told them to stop phoning so i could look for work(at the time i had no job or income)

Yep, it almost destroyed me

call john, before you drive yourself nuts

http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2sn9.jpg
nago View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2005 at 12:02am
Oh, i forgot to mention

At one point they thought my mother was my wife--im 40 and she 66 years old--so they sent an investigator over

Yep, they are just trying to break your spirit---call john cause there is hope
old hippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old hippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2005 at 12:07pm

Hey there,

I'm back from running around picking up the fax, signing it and sending it back again - I had to pay for it too... Just getting warmed up I guess...Thanks Johnny and it's good to know you're there because inevitably I will be giving a holler as I don't see any other options and I trust your motives.  Will hang on to this website for dear life...

Thanks for the heads up nago.  I can't believe they'd go so far as to send an investigator to your home.  They expect you to have your own office, with a fax machine, filing cabinet, personal secretary, computer with internet, and 40 hrs. wk. to fulfill all their demands.  And be independently wealthy.  Welfare system's the same runaround.  And they changed the E.I. rules (unemployment) so that you can't quit or get fired..another stream of paperwork. Control freaks. 

Then you'll going hungry for 3-4 days with no busfare to get to the food bank and someone will ask in astonishment "you don't have a car"?.  Poverty is a true education.  Have no fear nago, no one will break my spirit. 

Hippy 

old hippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old hippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/December/2005 at 11:18am

....of course I have lit a candle for John Lennon, may he rest in peace, the world is a lesser place. 

Give peace a chance, give peace a chance...trying to calm myself.  Horrible, horrible, horrible.  All this rigmarole to send a stupid piece of paper from one place to the next.  They told me a week ago that yes, they had received my fax, everything was cool.  So much for that.  Come home from work and there's another message on my machine to call CIBC National Student Center..(ominous music begins to play in the background).  Now they want me to fax the revision summary letter to them..the one I faxed weeks ago, that they told me wasn't good enough.

Okay, yes, I did lose my cool.  But he was purposely antagonistic, kept repeating "what day was that?", "yeah, you mentioned that"...etc.  I hate being talked down to...I did call him a name...I did suggest that he sounded like one of those CA's.  He told me that was his other job.  And you know what?  I don't doubt it.  ALWAYS KEEP THE FAX CONFIRMATION AND KEEP YOUR PAPERS IN ORDER!!!  Most of you all know that.  If it was a payment he had been after, there is no way, even if I won the lottery tomorrow, that I would be inclined to send money.

The little lotus blossum I spoke with next actually listened to me...she said they can check all faxes that are scanned into their system if I knew the day it was sent.  There it was!  She's going to call the IR people and tell them to leave me alone and process my IR application.  I don't believe a word.

I'm still facing impending doom regardless.  I think they should just wipe the slate clean for all of us.  It would probably work out about even financially anyways...

War is over if you want it....and I wish the same were true of student loans. 

BarryW2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryW2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/December/2005 at 3:01pm

Speaking of John.  We miss you man.

Imagine

Imagine there's no student loans,
It's easy if you try,
No debt collectors calling,
Or at least he's a pleasant guy,
Imagine all the people
at National Student loans having common sense...

Imagine there's no high interest rates,
It isnt hard to do,
No one giving you the run around ,
Or making money off of you,
Imagine all the people
at the banks showing you respect...

Imagine no bankrupcy rules for students,
I wonder if you can,
No politicians greedy and uncaring,
No hiding from the man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing knowledge with you...

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

dujylyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dujylyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/December/2005 at 9:23am
Hey Barry, enjoyed your song re-writing skills
imagine...........
if you cannot be a good example, you will just have to be a horrible warning
old hippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old hippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/December/2005 at 10:41am

Barry you made my day....

nago View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/December/2005 at 10:14pm
image we get decent jobs after completing university
 Post Reply Post Reply