This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThank You CFW Group and John!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
smacinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thank You CFW Group and John!!
    Posted: 20/February/2006 at 3:28am

The CFW Group and especially John LeBlanc have been fantastic.  I had a Student Loan (Bank Risk Portion) in collections for a year and a half.  Finally I was able to come up with enough money to make a try at settling.  John and the CFW Group managed to keep the Agency from eating me alive and saved me thousands of dollars in the settlement. Their advice and professionalism have been impeccable.

However the relief and empowerment of having someone on your side who can tell the difference between the truths, half-truths and lies the agency uses in their daily tactics is priceless.

I wish I had known about the CFW Group sooner!

Steven Macinnis, Toronto

Sponsored Links

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/December/2009 at 9:14am
Unfortunately I dont know of anyone else who is reliable and gets the job done.   Perhaps you can provide more details and post in the Urgent Help Needed forum.
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
winnipeg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winnipeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/February/2010 at 10:44am
I would like to tell my before and after story.  I was receiving harrassing calls from NCO financial off and on for approximately 1 1/2 years regarding a CIBC provincial student loan.  I was unaware of this loan given I had already paid my Canada and Manitoba student loans which are back from 1995 and 1996.  I did not return the calls but at one point told NCO I was unaware of any dept but to mail me the information.  This never occured.  The calls became more frequent and because they had no home number always called my work.  They harrassed my elderly parents as well. 

I was served small claims court papers in late Dec. 2009 with a court date of early Feb 2010.  Once the papers were served I received none stop calls with responses like "This isn't going away"and "you must call us right away or you will be paying all legal costs as well". 

I tried looking up all the information I could get about this situation and called every civil lawyer in my home town of Winnipeg.  No lawyer would take on the case because either it wasn't worth their time, or most had a conflict of interest as they often took on cases from CIBC.  The remainder of the Lawyers contacted just didn't respond.  There were a few that gave some advise over the phone. 

This is where my story gets worse.  Every Lawyer and financial advisor I spoke to indicated that I had to get information from the plaintiff's (CIBC) law firm.  They all suggested I get this in writing and request all information regarding the amount of the loans and contact information.  For some reason I was sceptical and didn't do this.  This was a mistake, do not put anything in writing. 

I eventually, after some time looking at this site decided I would check and see how the CFW group could assist and sent a quick email.  I was cautious but checked out the group before engaging with them.

NOW  this is where my story changes.  The following day after I emailed the CFW group I received a phone call from John LeBlanc.  We spoke and I was confident he would help.  He immediately settled me down and I knew this was my saving grace. 

For the next 10 days John worked feverishly to get all the information he could for my court hearing and returned emails and calls all hours of the day and evening.  When I got off track he re focused me, no matter how annoying it was. 

Finally, he got answers that I was unable to do myself and made sure all collection calls were now forwarded to him.  This was a great relief during the stressful time.

I went to court, my court hearing was very difficult and I was put in a very unuasual situation with a Lawyer who tried everything to intimidate me and manipulate me.  BECAUSE of all the time spent with John I was so prepared and knew what to do even though the totally unsuspected happened at court.  I was able to know what to do and say and had  all the information I needed.  Had I listened to the Lawyers advice given to me before I would have lost the case.  My case was dismissed and I no longer have to worry about this issue.  My loan was statute barred.

I have learned so much from this experience and want others to have that opportunity.  The CFW group is all that it claims and more.  For the little amount that I paid I recieved the most expert, professional, and encouraging advice. 

I want others to know that if they are in a difficult financial possition and being harrassed that the CFW group is the place to go.  there is good help out there and that it is important to do your homework and makesure you are getting the right advice.  There are always solutions to the problem and you don't have to do this yourself.  Seek out people who know the system and are able to help with a solution.  You will never go wrong with the CFW group. 

There has to be a stop to the illigal actions of collection agencies and harrassing calls.  Yes, we have to be responsible for our own actions and if we take out a loan we are responsible for it.  However, this does not mean we are to be harrassed, demeaned and illigally sought out.   Finally there is someone looking out for the little guy.  Protect yourself and be smart. 

My greatest of Thanks to John and if I can assist someone else by my experience I would be happy to.
 Post Reply Post Reply