This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIf you need help...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
ClaudetteH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClaudetteH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you need help...
    Posted: 25/June/2019 at 1:17am
I have tried for 10 days to apply for repayment assistance and I have registered a new account with NSLSC. I can access every other portion of their site except the application for repayment assistance. Every time I call I’m told something different. Then they hurry me off the phone and tell me to try in 24 hours, meanwhile the deadline for repayment is the 30th June and I am a physically disabled person. I suffered a massive stroke 2 days before graduating, spent 5.6 months in a host and since that time my entire focus has been on rehabilitation. I tried working in a call centre but the stress took its toll and I didn’t want to have another stroke so I left. Now I’m receiving $576.00 monthly and 75% of that is my rent and the rest of the time I use food banks and have sold my personal items for money to pay other bills. I’m not able to pay the $699.13 monthly payment and no one wants to help me. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Who do I really talk to? Please help!
Sponsored Links

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/August/2018 at 11:02am
his new website is  http://solvestudentdebt.ca
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
dhannaburg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhannaburg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/August/2018 at 2:45am
Hi there
How do I get in contact with Johnny? There are no links to contact him on the CFW home page. Actually there are no links other than to a court document. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dennis
chrisnat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisnat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2018 at 1:39pm
Hi there, 

Is it possible if my doctor confirmed my sever permanent disability and still I am working, NSLSC approved my application?

also, if I quite, and apply, what will happen if in the future I go to work? Is the illegal? Does NSLSC check if I am at work?

Thanks
Aunt_c7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aunt_c7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2018 at 11:01am
Help please!! So i got bank, provincial and national loans to go to school from 2000 - 2004. I have defaulted MANY MANY years ago and so they have taken ALL my taxes and GST and what looks like my ontario trillium payments as well, for many many years!! I have paid off my bank and provincial loans but STILL have a massive debt with the federal loans!! Is there not a statute of limitations or SOMETHING about how long they can do this to me when it is VERY clear i will NOT be able to pay it back ANY time soon???!!! I have been living around or UNDER the poverty line for the last 10 yrs!! Can anyone help??!! I am currently unemployed so i cannot afford to pay anyone for help....
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2018 at 6:22am
solvestudentdebt dot com is for student debt solutions. 
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
OSAPTroubles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OSAPTroubles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/April/2018 at 1:43pm
I have been trying to reach out to Johnny on http://www.cfwgroup.ca. Has the website been taken down? Any advice on how to get in touch with him?

Thanks.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/September/2015 at 9:58am
If you are still looking there are a million of them all around you in the yellow pages.
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
foreverdebt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foreverdebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2015 at 10:26am
I need a lawyer in the Durham Region area who can help me.  I've been served papers for Small Claims Court for an outstanding student loan but I want to fight this.  This is debt dating back to the early 90's.  The document shows that I made an effort to make payments at various times, but that all my money went towards interest and collection agency fees.  Plus, I was continually and perpetually harassed by collection agencies in the 90's, I even had one show up at my door!  Yes, times have changed.  My loans were divided amongst various collection agencies so I couldn't even keep track of who was holding it.  I really need to talk to a lawyer.  I don't even mind paying the part I actually owe, but I want someone to look at the thousands of dollars I've paid towards my loan, and tell me how it's $5k larger than the original loan?  

If you know of a very good lawyer in the Durham region, please let me know.

Thanks,
Forever Debt
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2015 at 5:25am
If you want professional assistance to locate benefits, opportunities, and options
you can book yourself in for a private one-on-one discussion here:

solvestudentdebt.com
flatout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2015 at 6:37am
For reasons I prefer not to share, I have had been very poor with paying of my student loans.  I finished my education in 2006 and my loans went into default years ago.  My payments have been few and far between, but I seem to have slipped through the cracks, as the only forced payments have been garnishment of my income tax returns.  I receive regular statements informing me of the growing balance, but there has been no action taken against me.  I have been in a grey area, both anxious to take care of the growing debt total I see and, at the same time, hesitant to take significant action, as I seem to be under the radar.

Recently I have been given the option to secure a family loan that would be able to take care of the majority of student loan debt in one shot.  The loan would cover the original principal easily, but there is a significant amount of interest that has accrued over the years.  Also, the loan will allow me to finish renovating the basement of my house (I'm co-title, but pay and occupy solely) into a rental suite that will cover half or more of my monthly bills, improving my future cash flow and allowing me to more easily manage future payments.

I am very leery of bringing attention to my loans and having a light shone on them.  I'm also worried about stepping on proverbial landmines as I try to get myself straight.  My main question is whether it's feasible for me to privately negotiate a reduced settlement amount if full payment is secured within 30 days or something to that effect.  To me, it seems beneficial both parties if the loan can be completely clearly within a month if a portion of the accrued interest is waived.  Is it plausible to negotiate a reduction privately?

Any ideas for other approaches I haven't considered would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

angel44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2014 at 10:00pm

If your loan was administered by the NSLSC then you will want to speak to the Canada Revenue Agency Non-Tax Collection Directorate. If you call the NSLSC they will be able to give you their phone number.

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2014 at 4:42pm
I think you need an advocate to help you.  Perhaps contacting your member of parliament would be a good idea.
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
PJK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2014 at 6:40am
I have just received a letter saying Canada Revenue is going to take legal action against me for my student loans. I am on ODSP and have a part-time job which doesn't take in much. This letter comes on the heals of a conversation I had with one of their collection agents. I had applied for a suspension of payments based on hardship, but she did not accept the expenses I had outlined, and also implied that I should default on financing I received from a music store in order to make a minimal payment for my student loans. When I told her I could not do that - the instrument I am paying off is a purchase recommended by a health care worker - and offered her a payment figure lower than the one she suggested, she told me they would be taking legal action. I have not received notification as to whether my application for suspending payments has been accepted or declined, only the notice that legal action is now being considered. I am not sure how to proceed. I can't afford court fees, and my disability precludes being overly proactive.
missyb1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missyb1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2014 at 10:59am
I have a student loan that was transferred to collections i have been contacted and set up payments for the provincial portion of the loan. How do i determine where the federal portion went and how to pay it? On my credit report it shows : Account name: CDA Student loan with a balance amount of 0$, and the status as: pays account as agreed. How do i find out if i still owe a federal portion or not, if i do how does this affect my credit?

-missy-
erin5252 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erin5252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/February/2014 at 3:33am
Anyone that can offer any advice.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/February/2014 at 7:38am
Who are you looking for? Mark, owner of this site or me, someone else in particular? 

solvestudentdebt.com
erin5252 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erin5252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/February/2014 at 2:42pm
Hello,

I am from Sydney, Nova Scotia.  I was advised to contact you by someone in the area.  I have an issue with the National Student Loan Center.

I graduated from high school in 2001.  I attended the University College of Cape Breton in the 2001-2002 school year.  I then returned for the first semester in the fall of 2002.  In October of 2002 I had a health issue that needed to be resolved, and became depressed afterwards.  I did not return after October 2002.  I did not fill out a pre-study report to receive a student loan for semester 2 of that year which would run from January 2003 - April 2003.

In 2009 I was overcome by debt and filed a consumer proposal on December 11, 2009.

I paid the entire consumer proposal in 2010 and all was fine until today.

The National Student Loan accepted my proposal but they are now saying that they have my end date as April of 2003 which is wrong.  I dropped out of University in October/November 2002.  According to my correct end date 7 years had passed and my loans should have been included in my proposal.  The University will only provide me an email saying I did not return the second semester.

Now the debt is owed again and the consumer proposal was all for nothing.  Repaying the debt would cause a major undue hardship for me and my family.

I need assistance as I spent the last few days arguing on the phone with ignorant representatives in multiple departments.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

nwgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2013 at 8:30am
Hi I need help finding out who to write a hardship letter to CIBC and the collection officer at Metropolitan Financial.

My Child tax credit and Universal Child Care Benefitt was put on hold  in my CIBC account by direct deposit  they spend two days asking me for a settlement and I said noI have no money I faxed them proof of my income level and on Monday found they took the money anyway and then they took it out as a IBB Loan Payment. Since I did not given them a written promise to pay the money owing due to undue hardship

(4) An acknowledgment of liability means

• (a) a written promise to pay the money owing, signed by the borrower or his or her agent or other representative;

• (b) a written acknowledgment of the money owing, signed by the borrower or his or her agent or other representative, whether or not a promise to pay can be implied from it and whether or not it contains a refusal to pay;

• (c) a part payment by the borrower or his or her agent or other representative of any money owing; or

• (d) any acknowledgment of the money owing made by the borrower, his or her agent or other representative or the trustee or administrator in the course of proceedings under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act or any other legislation dealing with the payment of debts.

I did not agree to any settlement or to have this set against my loan as a partial payment of a settlement amount.

I am living on assistance and that is basically my food money for the month. I faxed them proof that assistance is my only income besides those cheques.

I have since changed banks and stopped all direct deposits to CIBC. I have been given the  the run around and was told by  UCCB and Revenue Canada that because Im lvinging below poverty line they cant touch that money.

A previous post suggested I send a letter to collection office in Toronto  , But all I have is the number for the women I talked too  and she will not give me any information even though I told her she was causing undue s
Does anyone have any suggestions 
NW Girl
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2011 at 2:05pm

You can lodge a complain to the BBB if you want but unfortunately ARC will simply not respond I suspect.  You could write to the bank that assigned the student loan to ARC if you feel you've been mistreated in any way. The danger there is that the collector may decide to insert his/her own agenda and become even more aggressive. It does happen. The other option is to approach the provincial ministry but when filing a complaint you will have to provide proof that the collector had broken the law or rule in question.

There is very little safeguard for people in your situation. I can help you but it is a service and there are fees. The benefit of that though is that I actually mediate and intervene. Plus, everything is recorded for consumer protection purposes. In other words, they can't say they didn't do it if the evidence proves otherwise. The cost for what you require is very low too,  probably no more than $250.00 based on what you described here.

If you want my help you can contact me privately. Visit our site linked below and click on the contact form page requesting a call back and service.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>