This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIf you need help...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/March/2007 at 7:52am
1) Who did you send the checks to for the payments?

2) Did you call Canada Revenue Agency to find out if your payments were applied?

3) If you have paid money over a course of time, and the government is claiming you have not and you have proof that you did, then they are responsible to make the adjustments. If you are paying interest on an incorrect amount and the government does nothign to correct it6 - this is accounting "you know what".

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Sponsored Links

NoEnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoEnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/March/2007 at 7:00pm
Thanks for your quick advice.  I'll look into the Auditor General/Revenue Can., but the checks were sent to Allied International Credit Corp.  Recently, the statement I received was not on any letterhead - it was just a regular homemade printout and did not look professional at all!  (Last year, at least they had Allied letterhead paper.)
By the way, how would I be able to tell the difference between an AUTHENTIC government statement and just a "social development" write-up??  Can I request a written statement of my student loan payments from Revenue Canada??
Dada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2007 at 9:45am
I have a student loan that was sent back to the federal depart in 2005 and during the year 2006 one collection agency ARO claimed that i need to pay them 2500 for the intrest on the student which was $1300, which i settled the payment for $150/month after 2 months they ask another guy, which asked me to pay off right a way, harass me on the phone non-stop, forced me to borrow money from wells fargo with intrests rate 32%, each month i need to pay $100 for that loan, since that they didnt call me, i thought nightmare is over, In march 2007, another collection company COLLECTCOM CREIT called me again said that my student loan is due, and forced me the last $175 from my salary each month to pay them back, after i pay for 2 months, they asked for auto transfer from the back, then i ask them to sent me a copy of the statement which i am paying the right account or place, make sure this is not a scam, but they refuse to, and threaten me that they will take 33% of my pay cheque every time, ever since then they keep calling my work place to harass me. Today my manager picks up the phone and the collection agency talked in a rude tone and harass my manager too, thanks to that phone call, i now unemployed, i wonder what i can do. Please can anyone help me? And can they really allow to take money from my pay cheque?
BOOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/May/2007 at 9:49am
Hi There,
I have a problem, my husband has an oustanding dept with his student loan...We have been dealing with NCO Financial out of edmonton. We have been making regular 100 a month payment now they tell me today that we need to get a loan right away or they will grnish my husbands wages at 80% we can't afford for that to happen we have a 4 year old son.. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Elizabeth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/May/2007 at 2:25pm
I would like to know if the government can make you sell your property (house) in order to pay your loan?  My friend is paying his loan, however, only the provintial.  Know the Federal wants payments, can they force him to sell his house in order to re-apy loans?Cry

Also, his loan has more than 10 years can they still hunt you? He also is paying montly payments to collection agency.Dead

Let me know.Star

Thank you.

Lis.

Nothing in Life is to e feared. It is only to be understood.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2007 at 7:12am
The government of Canada can make you do whatever they want you to do it seems. If your friend owes moeny to government and they were to sue him/her, and there is property owned by your friend, then a lien will likely occur.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
BOOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/June/2007 at 5:34am
Just wondering if someone could help me out on this..
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/June/2007 at 10:43am

If you need help, call or write to me.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
BOOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2007 at 8:26am
Just wondering about a number so I can get in touch with you..Thanks so much..
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2007 at 10:48am
You can contact me through www.cfwgroup.ca

solvestudentdebt.com
Elizabeth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/June/2007 at 4:19pm
Hi:

Thank you for relplying to my question.  Does he has to go to court first?

He has offer them to pay and sent a 50 dollar cheque to starting paying. But they seem not to want it.  They have given him date line of this coming friday by 2 oclock or else to aske his lawyer if he has one to contact the agency.

The loan is for 20 thousand dollars, from 10 years ago.  What to do? help please! Where can he go to get info and how much will it cost a session.

Thank you.

Elizabeth
Nothing in Life is to e feared. It is only to be understood.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 9:43am
I got a grant for school many many years ago for my first year of college. I'm 34 now so I'm guessing that it was around 14 years ago now.

The problem is I applied late and therefore I did not get the funds in time. Yes, that was my fault! I was going to be evicted from my apartment so I had to apply for social assistance. They told me I had to drop out of school to get assistance so I had no choice and that's what I did.

Now about 3 weeks too late, the department at school gets my funds. I don't know if it was a check or what but I think I might of had to sign something but I recall going to an office in the shcool. The lady there told me I would get a part of the funds to cover expenses I had already paid for like over $400 in books and rent fees etc. I said something to the effect "that's great but make sure all fees are taken out and just send me what's mine to keep, i don't want to have to pay for something later". But it wasn't just fees, I recall specifically making a point that if anything has to be paid back to take it out in a sense.

So maybe a week or two or some time later I get a check in the mail, with a hand writen message right on the stub saying something like "here's the balance with all fees taken out".

I think I was a little shocked, I'm not sure how much the check was for, it could of been $2100 when I was expecting at least $600 for my books and transportation at least. But then I thought, well I dunno what I thought exactly, maybe just don't look a gift horse in the mouth. But in a way I did think they might of calculated a 3 month minimum housing fee even though I was only in clases for a few weeks.

Anyways, I was only about 20 years old, how was I suppose to know anything about anything! If they had sent me the money directly, and if I had paid the tuition fees myself then I would know how much I originally got and how much was taken etc etc... but I didn't handle any of it!!!

So long story long I guess, I got a letter saying I owed them about $1200 to $1500, I forget it's been so long. And I've since lost that hand writen message by the lady in the office. I was 20 and I ingored the letter. I moved and then I got letters now and then througout the years. The last ones didn't even have a phone number to contact. Was quite ridiculous.

But today I get one saying revenue canada MAY take my income tax & gst refunds. And all I've ever wanted was my day in court to tell this story. But now it's been so long, and I've lost that note, I can't blame probably the real person reponsible for the overpayment and that's the woman in that office.

So anyways, my question is, is there anything I can do to stop revenue canada from using my refunds to pay a GRANT (never though in a million years I'd have to pay back a grant for any reason, grants are grants i thought, can't pay back something that doesn't require it!).

What really bugs me is if they had let me handle the money in the first place I would of surely had some letter with it saying if you dont complete your schooling you'll have to pay back some amount calculated in some way. Probably would of been in the fine print but I read that stuff at home! Maybe it was there in the office, but at home I would have had all the time to read it versus in an office, and not wanting to take up people's time and being reassured everything will be taken care of for me.

What's worse is this has always prevented me from even considering getting a loan but after reading many posts in this forumn, it probably wasn't on my credit report all this time! Doh.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated. I'll probably just call revenue canada and bitch some people out then move to Africa and be a fugitive.

Pure Insanity!

ann_kypreos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ann_kypreos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/August/2007 at 10:43am
Hi, how can I make a counter offer, or offer to reduce the debt and pay in full?

Two of my loans, ~ $4,500 and another for $6,500 are with lawyers (Attorney General Office in Ottawa), who advised I complete a letter of offer application, stating income vs expenses etc, but the paralegal mentioned if I have an income, it's pretty much a lost cause.

I also have another Ontario provincial loan with NRO (a collection agency) with principal of $9,650 and interest of $1,500 in addition.  They offered to forgo the interest if I pay in full.

I asked about a value of $6,000 in total to settle, but the lady on the phone, a collector who I presume works on quotas, in our conversation at the start mentioned I could apply for it through some kind of an offer, but "they" the powers that be, will likely garnish my wage for around 35% per paycheque. 

How can I make a successful counter offer for full settlement?  My totals are nearly $20,000 between the two collectors (lawyer, and collection agency)?

Thank you in advance, if your suggestion works, I'll will personally thank you.

Sincerely,
Ann Kypreos
prior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/October/2007 at 5:48am
Originally posted by Newfie Girl 78 Newfie Girl 78 wrote:

I was wondering that i recently got a house due to paying more for rent that what a mortage would cost. I could not do this myself my mother co-signed for me and she has good credit. I am a single mom of 2 children ans is working, but of couse only relying on one income it is very difficult. Also, i live in newfoundland. I have my federal student loan that went into collection on nov.2, 2001. I heard that once 6 years are up this is written off. They have asked for settlement of 4000.00 on the whole loan of 8000.00. Since december of 2004 i have been making steady payments of 25.00/month. They called me the other day and stated that i would either pay in full or go for the settlement, i could pay 25.00 for 6 months but they stated that they would not offer the settlement again and that once the 6 months is up that i would have to pay the loan in full, or they will garnish my wages, put a judgement and a lean on me or even possible sue.
I am afraid that they will take my house are they able to do this? Should i pay the payments or will it be written off in this comming november when it has been in collection for 6 years.

PLEASE PLEASE
prior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/October/2007 at 5:53am
If this was the federal student loan I did not think you could settle with Federal portion of student loans.

Could you please tell me what happened and if they did lien your home.  I am afraid they may do the same thing to me.

If they did let you settle, please let me know how you did it.

Also did you ever make any payments on the federal portion as I did not since 2004-2005 due to hardship and I hate to see what the total is including interest. 

Thak you
prior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/October/2007 at 6:00am
Could you please tell me what what happened with your situation.

Plan on trying to get a mortgage on my own or with a co-signer and my federal student loans has never received any payments nor my provincial all due to hardship, but now I am able to put some money down for a home, probably with a co-signer but I am afraid they will take the house.

Please advise me on any complications I may run into with a mortgage and the federal student loan.

Also did you ever make payments to the federal portion of your loan in order to get the first mortage and how old was your federal student loan, and did you ever make any payments on it.

Thank you
prior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2007 at 3:00am
Originally posted by Johnny Johnny wrote:

The government of Canada can make you do whatever they want you to do it seems. If your friend owes moeny to government and they were to sue him/her, and there is property owned by your friend, then a lien will likely occur.

Johnny

Please help:

Johnny I have a friend in the similar position.  His step father wants to put him on his deed of the property but he is scared to do this.   If the government of Canada which I believe you mean the Crown, puts a lien on a persons home, are they foreced to sell the home  immediately or does the Crown start adding the amount of the loan along with interest until the total loan including interest is all paid off.  I can't believe the the Crown would actually take your home and put you out on the streets.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2007 at 12:36pm
THat would be an extreme, if it were ever to happen. The best way handle this is to take preventative action. If you want help, call us.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
drowningindebt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drowningindebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/October/2007 at 8:41am

I really need some advice on my student loan to make sure that I am not being "done over."  I have been paying two student loans off for the last few years and the other day I went to my bank to find out about getting a VIsa and they said that when they looked in to my information that my CIBC student loan had been listed as "Written Off."  If it has been listed as written off and I am still paying for and enduring the collection agents on a monthly basis than shouldnt my file say that it is being paid off?  When I asked the collectors about it they said as long as there was a balance outstanding that I would be listed as written off.  The man at the bank said that if I got a letter from ARC saying that I was making monthly payments that maybe there was something that he could do but until then I was out of luck.  Am I being taken for a ride?  What does "Written Off" mean?  I was told it meant that the government had it listed as finished with no payment.  I need to know if I have options.  What can I do?  Please help me.

Thank you

April St Germaine

Up the creek without a paddle.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/October/2007 at 3:40am
written off means that the account is closed, and in assigned to a collection agency, or bad debt write off. All a mattr of interpretation. In the language of finance, written off means "bad debt".

Call ARC and ask them to give you a letter so you can get your credit card (?). THat would be the only way to do it.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>