This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIf you need help...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Typar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Typar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2007 at 11:27pm
I would like some information as I am fighting many battles right now, and of course student loans is one of them.  I graduated in 1998 (college is a useless education, never did a thing for me ended up with same crappy jobs...just a big money scam), and the last loan was issued to me in January 1998.  Not knowing the rules at the time, I went back to college for a year in starting in september 2001, which apparently restarts that 10 year clock.  Never to this day have I made a payment, always managed to get interest relief.  In february 2007 I was told I was out of interest relief and they (Royal Bank) sent Allied Consultants after me, who incidently said I should give up my kids so I could make my payments, they were very nasty to the point even Royal Bank was disgusted.  It ended up I did qualify for interest relief, a special extended period, which would get me through until I qualified for debt reduction.  Allied Consultants in the meantime said I would not get it and I had to make a payment.  In the end I had a minor heart attack in March 2007 after receiving the interest relief.  I promptly called Allied and told them off with very colourful language, and I enjoyed every second of it.  In fact, the agent I was dealing with at Royal Bank was VERY helpfull and even told me to give Allied his name and they could call him because I DID qualify and would receive interest relief.  He also wanted me to send a written complaint ti his boss about Allied because he and other agents were so sick of hearing the horror stories about Allied.

Anyway, everything went smoothly and in June 2007, without a hitch, received a 50% reduction on both my provincial and federal student loans.  I finally had a monthly payment I could manage, $100 for both loans, and could apply for debt reduction again next year.  Of course things were to good to be true, and on July 1 2007 I had a second heart attack (in front of my 8yr old son) and almost died (just turned 39, is my inheritance from my mother).  I had a 95% blockage in a main artery, and was told that they call this particular blockage the 'widowmaker'.

So, now it is October and the doctors have said I cannot work for 6 months to a year, and when I can work again I will have to find a different line of work that is not physical, and has little stress.  I cannot get disability because there really heart conditions are not considered a 'disability' (figure that out)  Canada Pension disability is not an option because I am not out of commission so to speak 'long enough'.  There is ontario disability, which really is welfare and guess what, they put you in a retraining program, or more commonly what is known as 'workfare'.  And, I don't qualify because my wife is able to pay the bills, most of them anyway.  They don't take into consideration personal debts, like student loans, as a living expense, nor the $250 a month in drugs I have to take.  Thank God for the Trillium drug plan, still pricy though, it is still a matter of pay student loans, or pay for drugs to stay alive.

I had an unemployment claim going at the time, and it was put into the sick claim for 15 weeks (this is unemployment insurance).  The 15 weeks are up, and now I lose my claim (which I have paid into for years and years) because I cannot get a note from the doctor saying I am ready willing and able to work.  I can say I am, but in their words that would be fraud punishable by law which would be a fine and or jail time.  Can't even go to retraining through E.I. because I have no doctor note, effectively disqualified.  Which ironically would reset that 10 year clock even for debt reduction again next year, resets that clock too.

So, here I am without an income being 'Mr. Mom' at home (2yr old and 8yr old), which incidently is more stressfull than any job I have ever had, fed up with doctors, and guess who is calling?  Student Loans.  And you know, I kept in contact with them the whole time said I had a heart attack and can't make any payments, and they (agents) I have dealt with were pretty good.  Also cannot get the student loan disability because I am not 'permanently' disabled.  My Canada Loan went to ARC, whom I called after being told this by Royal Bank when ironically I had called to catch everything up (came into a little extra money) and they refused payment, said I had to call the collection agency.  This pissed me off so I bought a new BBQ instead.  I called ARC (I was pissed off) and told them my situation, and that if they wanted to take someone with a very serious heart condition and cannot work to court to let me know the date and I'd see them there.  I have yet to receive a call from ARC.  I just received a letter from Royal Bank stating my Ontario Loan was being referred to their collection department, to which I laughed as I threw it in the garbage.

I have no assets, my credit rating is destroyed because of a previous mistake in debt management, and of course these student loans.  Our house is in my wife's name which they cannot touch, even if I went bankrupt they cannot touch house.  But if we divorced guess who can get part of house?  We have some really stupid laws here, anyway,  after working so hard for so many years to get to the point I finally had reached getting the debt reduction on the loans and a nice affordable payment I feel as though I am going to lose out on the whole deal.  In the letter from ARC demanding the arrears be paid it also stated a new payment plan would be put in place, so I am concerned that my monthly payment will shoot up again to a level that I can't afford, if and when I can work.

So, here are my questions, if anyone has made it this far in my post.  What the hell can I do where student loans are concerned?  When I finally get through all this health crap and catch up all my payments will they increase my monthly payment?  Will I still qualify for debt reduction next year?  And I am really curious about this ARC thing because I have not heard a thing from them, what should I expect there, and what can I do?  I feel like a sitting duck with this.

Sorry to everyone for being so long, just very frustrated with everything and Student Loans are not helping any.  And the other thing too I have learned is that if your gonna get sick and 'disabled' make sure it is a damn good one because it seems a heart problem just doesn't qualify.  Go figure, most important organ in the human body.  My motto now is this 'it is only a bad day when you don't wake up'.

Sponsored Links

JohnnyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/November/2007 at 5:19pm

Hi. I have a student loan from 1998 and have never made a payment to it and have been watching my credit over the years.  The Royal Bank listed it as "written off" and"paid" a couple of years ago.  Now for the last couple of weeks NCO financial has been calling me asking how I would like to pay this loan of $1500! They say they have had it since 2005.   I have decent credit and get approved for credit.  There is nothing on my credit file with owing any money to NCO or the Royal Bank. They keep saying they will ruin my credit if I don't pay.  Can they do anything to affect my credit?  Am I stats barred? Has it been removed from active recovery and unenforceable? Thank you very much for any responses...!!

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/November/2007 at 6:20pm
Before you get any help here you'll have to explain why you never made any payments on it. Was there hardship? Remember that this site is to help people who cant afford to pay their loans.

But a couple of quick answers, your loan was written off and paid by guarantor...ie the government who will now try to collect on it. Yes they can report it to the credit bureau.

If you owe $1500 can you afford to pay it?
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
JohnnyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/November/2007 at 1:20pm
HI,
Thanks for the response....I did not pay it because I was injured badly in a car accident.  I was disabled medically for well over a year.  It was at the bottom of my priority list as I was recently married and had a ton of "other" bills that I needed to pay just to have a place for us and food to eat.  I was let go from my company during this and they refused to put me on dissability.  They said they would do me a favor and pay me my regular salary and did not report me as not working...very strange situation.  To make a long story short, I just stopped receiving pay and was so depressed that I failed to care about money.  My marrage almost failed at the same time.  We had to move in with my wifes parents to stay afloat in the end....
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/November/2007 at 4:14pm
Do you need any help?

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
JohnnyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 3:51pm
"Johnny"
Hi,
I need help in knowing what will happen if I continue not paying this debt...thanks.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/November/2007 at 7:50am
If you do not pay, they will simply come after you, or in the event that they cannot find you now, they will do so one day down the road if they can locate you somehow.

Johnny
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
the wife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the wife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/November/2007 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by BOOS BOOS wrote:

Hi There,
I have a problem, my husband has an oustanding dept with his student loan...We have been dealing with NCO Financial out of edmonton. We have been making regular 100 a month payment now they tell me today that we need to get a loan right away or they will grnish my husbands wages at 80% we can't afford for that to happen we have a 4 year old son.. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

My husband is dealing with the same company NCO Edmonton  and they have asked me to Max out my Credit card or get a loan from family, my husband just got a new Job that is commission based and they say they can make him get a salary based job instead he has been looking for work for a few months and loves his new job, can they do that?

can they come after me as his wife and insist i get into more debt?

I also have a 3 year old and a 2 month old so am unable to work

last week they said we could pay $450 a month now they are saying that because i can pay it on my credit card that the offer is no longer available and we must pay in one lump sum or face arbitration we are willing to pay the $450 even though it means hardship for a few months

please help!!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/November/2007 at 1:05pm
Who do you owe?

solvestudentdebt.com
the wife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the wife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/November/2007 at 6:23am
it is for a student loan so HRDC
the wife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the wife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/November/2007 at 6:24am
it is now at NCO edmonton
lilbug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2007 at 7:00pm
What a lot of great information on here....
OK here is my story....
In 1999 I recieved a student loan in NB in the amount of around $6000, finished my course in 2000 and had to start repaying my loan 6 months after my course was done.  I had interest relief and did pay for a while however I was living on my own working part time and just could not afford to continue paying the student loan.  I ignored the calls for sometime because I just couldnt tell collections I couldnt pay anymore I had had enough of them calling me and yelling at me and calling me at WORK!!!  (when one guy called me at work one day I asked him not to call me there anymore and he said something rude then I said its not like its YOUR money Im not paying back, and he replied, "you've just made this personal and hung up on me.....)

Anyway my whole point to this message is this.....I have no idea where my student loan is now (other than collections but I dont know what company its either with NCO or CBV) I would like to get another student loan (oh and im now living in ON) and go back to school, however with one student loan in collections right now I know I cannot get another one at this time.  What are my options?  Am I able to reinstate and pay back my previous loan and then get another one? Or will they allow me to get another loan and just add it onto the last one? 
My problem right now is that I am on Mat leave and only bringing in $786/month and even when I go back to work I'll only be bringing in about $1500.
I would just like to know if anyone could give me a direction that I could start in. I REALLY want to go back to school more than anything in the world.  I just now wish I had not been so immature back then Cry
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!  PLEASE Smile
jc77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/March/2008 at 2:09pm
I am hoping someone can help me out here...

I graduated in 2006 with a Canada student loan of $8,500 (i also have a student line of credit and provincial loans but these are under control).. long story short i have defaulted on my NSLSC loan and they sent it to CRA, or HRSDC. I contacted HRSDC and made payment arrangements to repay my loan at a rate of $140/month at 5% interest (ironically lower that it was with NSLSC)- but they did mention that my tax return would be taken to repay the debt. i contacted CRA to see if there was anything i could do to avoid this, they of course said no and that a lien was placed on my account. However i recieved my notice of assessment stating that my return would be deposited into my account, and it was,all of it. I then (3 days later) recieved a letter in the mail stating that i am in default on a loan and that my income tax "may" be taken.
I am not sure what to do, did i slip through the cracks? or will they come after me in a few months for the money? if that's the case will they immeditely garnish my wages, or give me a chance to pay it back? I haven't touched the $$ yet..
any advice would be great, i could really use the extra cash to get my higher interest loans in check.

saskguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saskguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/April/2008 at 12:02pm
I have a substantial Student loan debt that I've always kept in good standing. I'm a PhD student so I'm been enrolled full time for years. I just started a new program in the US and live on a scholarship. I sent my Confirmation of Enrollment form to NSLSC in October and it disappeared into the mists. I kept a copy.

I waited for a response until, while home for Xmas, I received notice that I'd missed a payment. I sent quick letters to NSLSC and my bank asking what was up. No reply. More, angrier letters to me from both.

So I faxed NSLSC in early Feb (I only deal with them in writing cuz they lie, etc) a full letter of inquiry and complaint, with my copy of the properly completed Confirmation of Enrollment, and added CC: MP and MLA at the bottom.

Like magic the original document suddenly appeared, 4 months after being mailed. Only they rejected it because I've apparently been in school too many weeks. I checked, and fair enough I have. Doctorates take forever.
They included no instructions on how to proceed, options, etc. I faxed them for Interest Relief forms so I can at least create a zone in which we can resolve this mess, which is totally their fault. Hasn't arrived yet. I'm about to write again. Meanwhile more angry letters to me and now one from a collection agency. The only bonus is tey only have my permanent address, not my residence or phone number, so it's not continual harassment.

Question: What options are available to me? I'm about to send complaint letters to elected reps, and the relevant Fed/prov ministers. I just send this same note to John's group too.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2008 at 2:00am

Callme and I will see what you can do.

solvestudentdebt.com
saskguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saskguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2008 at 3:03pm
OK, what's a preferable day/time/number for you? I have the 866 for CFWG and I sent info via the Contact form. Thanks for the reply, btw.
sccole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sccole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2008 at 4:58am
I received a call from NCO financial yesterday that has really stressed me out.  I had gotten a Canada Student Loan almost 15 years ago.  To make a long and stressful story short, the bank that I had the loan through sent me to NCO for the amount that they had given me under my student loan which was at the time under $2000.00.  I was never contacted by the bank prior for payments and the only time they did call was to get my name and then cold transfer me to NCO.  After telling them what I could afford to pay which was only $10.00 because my husband was the only one working and I have 2 small children to take care of, they said it wasn't enough but I could make the $10.00 a month but it wasn't enough.  I made the payments when I could but my husband doesn't even bring home $33,000.00 a year for a family of 4 so one month I took the money and put on the power which I had no choice.  Every day for months I got 1 or 2 calls a day from NCO's automated system.  Yesterday, they changed their tatics and called with no 800 number.  When I answered, this guy says he's with NCO and if I don't pay the amount which he says is over $3000.00, he's bringing me to small claims court.  I tried to reason with him telling him my financial situation but he just keeps saying over and over to pay the money or I'm going to end up in court.  Then he says to get government assistance if I'm so poor.  Then he suggests I put the children in daycare and go out and get a job since I'm not disabled.  I told him it was not possible to which he replied that he is giving me 48 hours to get the money from somewhere even to get it from family members or he will escalate. I asked him how much monthly was he looking for.  He said $100-$300.00 which is not even possible for me to squeeze out of my husbands' paycheck.  He said that's what he wants monthly or the full amount and I have 48 hours.  I'm so upset and don't know what to do or if I have any options.  My bank account still shows an amount for the loan of $2000.00 so where's the $3000.00 coming from? I can't get that much money or even come up with $100.00 a month for it.  He told me $50.00 a month wasn't good enough even.  Can I go back to the bank and make arrangements with them instead of NCO? I really need help or advice from someone. Please!
Stacey
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/April/2008 at 11:49pm
Who was the collector and which office of NCO?

solvestudentdebt.com
sccole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sccole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2008 at 12:43am
He gave his name as Bal,  his phone number and extension and also a fax number. The fax number was a 604 area code which google says is in BC.
Stacey
Katrina_+ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katrina_+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2008 at 7:22am
sccole,

In the bank's eyes, it's out of their hands now that NCO has the priviledge of dealing with it.

I can empathize with you about raising a family and still having money left over to make a student loan payment.  Do not ever feel guilty about putting your family first!  It's tough, but perhaps you can save little by little to put towards the loan.

Stick around here for support!  I hope things work out for you.

**Formerly known as "kwelmm"** You never know what life has in store. I was silly enough to think I did! It's all good! Life goes on!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>