This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIf you need help...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
dragonfire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragonfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/September/2008 at 8:27pm
Hello all! please read my long and drawn out story(which is probably similar to most!) and if you have any advice I would greatly appreciate any input as I feel like I'm about to become a squatter on mountain and cease to exist on paper!!! I've been out of school for 4 yrs now and in the beginning my naive self thought i was on the path of evolving to become a well paid, productive CANADIAN citizen. I got a job in the field i was educated but of course, started at the bottom which only made ends meet so like every other student out of school in the same position i applied for debt relief when the allotted time of non payment became due .That is where the nightmare began. Numerous times I have sent all paperwork requested  only to hear that the documents had not been received.(BTW funny how every time you call, someone new is on the other end despite an extension number you may have from previous calls which in turn  results in explaining your story yet again) Not once did I receive a call in the next 9 months regarding status on lost paperwork, instead I received calls regarding threats of default. Again...explain my situation with a promise that a phone call regarding status would soon come. This banter went on for another 6 months and then nothing..no calls..no letters in the mail..just nothing..I assumed (aside from being naive, was my second mistake)that they had rectified the situation so I carried on with life, raising my child and trying to make ends meet with high hopes of a better future. 5 months passed with no letter and then I, along with neighbors and friends, were bombarded with calls from a collection agency for my provincial loan and a division of the federal government dealing with collection. The agents were rude(and that is being very kind) and even threatening. Again I explained my plight and honestly thought that all was taken care of and vowed that my intention to pay any debt I had incurred would be payed but given the circumstances I was still not in a position to pay the 370 a month in interest...let alone any towards the principle. Needless to say, the provincial loan has been passed on to a "Out of province" collection agency which has nothing to BCSL (provincial loan) And the federal loan is now taking much needed returns and credits that I need to provide basics for my child. I have been met with nothing but calous disregard to any attempt I have made to play by the rules that were instructed by many individuals who gave me nothing but condratictory ways to ensure that I would not end up here. I have been employed and paying my taxes, I have done all that I was instructed to do when it comes to my loans and yet I'm on the chopping block? Not to mention the fact that even when that dream day comes and I'm in the position to pay off my debt, the interest is steadily becoming as much of a debt as the intial loan how am I supposed to get ahead and own a home and save for my childs education? I feel like I've been dealt a really crappy hand of injustice in my own country which, I might add, has no problem paying for families, individuals and students from abroad . Sorry for the long winded post but I really need advice....MLA? laywer? or just bend over and take the beavers tail???
Sponsored Links

old hippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old hippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/September/2008 at 12:02pm

Things don't seem to be improving very much.  After all the phone calls and e-mails, petitions and media coverage, eventually the gov't provides more money in the budget for improving the student loan system....(?)  What's happening with all that?  Same stories are being posted about those useless ***s at the NSLC.

There's nothing naive about expecting good customer service dragonfire.  You just hadn't become educated in the ways of the student loan system.  Welcome to our world and I'm sorry it's not a better place.

Angela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/September/2008 at 10:17am
Talk to Johnny, Dragonfire. Don't know how much he can help in this case but, every little bit helps. Have you used up all our debt reduction and interest relief options? If not, I would start there. Call the student loans companies and talk to them directly.
Dance In The Sunshine
oldwoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/September/2008 at 2:27am
I am absolutely STUNNED. I came across this website this morning - have been reading through it because obviously it is of interst to me personally. I don't have to relay my story because it's already posted...many times over on this site and by various posters!!! Until I came across this website I had thought I was the only one in the predicament I'm in - NOT SO!!!WHAT AN EYE OPENER!!!
I am/was a mature student - widowed with 2 children who decided because of a very bad situation with a previous employer (extensive fraud that was exposed) decided after whistleblowing and losing my job to go back to school and upgrade. At the time because of my financial situation I took out a student loan and grant. BIG MISTAKE!!! After continuing, over thee past few years, to deal with the fallout of my original whistleblowing (text book case) and many related lawsuits - I was unable to complete the program I was enrolled in. I had to abandon everything because of death threats.  Added to this fact is now I have no compete knowledge of what has become of this student loan and grant except it seems that all of it has now been in the hands of HRDC - tripled in value - and my child tax benefits - GST - income tax returns have been withheld and I am assuming are being put towards this defaulted loan. I have only worked sporadically the past 5 years and not in my line of work - my only source of income is a CPP survivors's pension and child tax benefits (don't forget I'm tied up in litigation too - had a major house fire - and was forced to sell the unfinished rebuilt house).
My present - total income is $900/month from CPP. My rent is $1200/month. I have had the creditors - some nasty nasty people after me - I refuse to talk to these @$$#@#!!! I don't even attempt. The red tape and beuracacy trying to deal with this and sort it out is DISGUSTING!!! I won't lower myself!!!
Having said that - I got a problem - and have concluded there is absolutely nothing I can do about it on my own!!!
Seriously in need of an advocate!!!
danibaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danibaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2008 at 1:43am
Hi everybody,

I just stumbled upon this site accidentally, and it's a very good thing as I'm so confused and a little scared to be truthful.  OK, my story is quite messed up so here goes;

I took out a student loan for 15, 000 in 2004.  I didn't finish the course as they wanted me to do a 6 month internship and I was stupid, so whatever, I didn't finish that, but I did finish the theory part which I had a 94.6% average, but before you think I'm smart, read about what I did.

I then moved around the country collecting debts along the way, keep in mind I still had this giant loan and I never even went through my bank to make 1 payment.  I have no idea where it is at the moment.  So after a series of collecting debts and being completely irresponsible with my life because I didn't care about anything at the time, I moved to Bermuda for a few months, (legally) and then came back to Canada and moved to Europe, (illegally) where I have been for just over a year.  Now I have met a wonderful boy who is completely straight and wants our life together to be clean.  I agree, it's time to be an adult.  So now, I have to come back to Canada and apply for a visa to move back to France, where I currently am.  My questions are these:

How do I find out where my information is as I'd like to work something out in regards to my student loan and frankly all other debts.

Will the fact that I have been completely irresponsible in the past prevent me from moving back to Europe legally?

If I decided to come to France as a student and study here, will there be any problems as I have yet to even acknowledge my student loan?

I haven't been moving around and living it up either, life is hard and I'm poor, if I had had the money I would have done things differently.  Also, I have no bank account, and have not paid any of my previous bills.  I just up and left.  Canada has no idea where I am, I've had so many addresses in the past and I can't even remember all of the stuff I've done.  I want it sorted, does anyone know anything that could help me?

Thanks so so much!
aboutgivinup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboutgivinup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/November/2008 at 2:53am
I do need help....

I realize I have a student loan to pay, I am have been paying in small payments monthly, as I was told to do, because I was told as long as I am paying something they, being CollectCorp cannot harass me...guess I was wrong. They phone on a daily basis, they send registered mail, they have even sunk low enough to phone the down stair tenants and ask personal questions.
I guess my first question is...where do I begin...I am trying to find the means to pay them back! Personally I would prefer to pay the actual lender back but this was 20 years ago...I cant even recall who it was....How does cfwgroup work....at this point I am willing to try anything...Any help would be appreciated...thank you
grasshopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2008 at 2:02pm
Looking for information regarding financial questionnaires... what information can the collection agency legally ask for?  They are asking for SIN, employer information, banking, medical, etc.  I don't want to give them any more information than necessary.  Any information would be appreciated.  So far, I have not been able to find any posts on this.  A link would work too if this has already been posted.

Kind regards,
A.
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 4:35am
They can ask for whatever is required by their client. However, you don't have to give any information that you do not want to. Some collectors attempt to make examples out of those who refuse to give them what they want. THey turn adn call you combative and unwilling to pay, when it is really your unwillingness to divulge information that you feel is sensitive, or whichever.

You have rights - but I don't the system recognizes them (or even cares) based on the testimonies of so many people in debt crisis, and who are being mishandled by third-parties and the actual lending sector.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 5:08am
Hi again!

I can't imagine how many times you get the same question so thank you again for taking the time to answer me and my inquiries.

To clarify, are you saying that legally, neither the government nor the collection agency acting on its behalf, can ask me for my financial or other personal information?

Kind regards,
A.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 11:43am
No. THey can ask you to provide financial information. However, it is not against the law for you to refuse it. Just know that it is not against any law for them to ask for it.
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 2:59pm
Oh, ok.  Thank you! 

Cristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2009 at 5:12pm

Hi,

I have a student loan that was $4000.oo back in 1979 and I could not pay it back back then and I was told that all Ontario studen loans before 1980 were pardoned, is that that true because I now have a lawyers office telling me  I have to pay it back? Could someone please help me?

Cristina

juliem724 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliem724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/February/2009 at 10:32am
Hi there i was wondering what can be done for my bf. He is currently making just under 1000 every 2 weeks so thats under 2000 a month. Besides rent and utilities he has 2 student loans in collections. One with Cibc that has been taken over by aliance one and the other is his national student loan taken over by the canada revenue agency. We live in newfoundland and I am currently unable to help him much since i have my own student loan which i am paying on and i am unemployed. He has to make 400$ payments on each of those loans hence almost half of what he makes in a month he has to put toward student loans. The Student loan with aliance one is in an intrest free status but he still pays about 400$ a month on that. I was hoping if it was possible to get both loans to about half that would be perfect.
Thanks in advance for your repily.
In Need of hope
revelationman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revelationman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2009 at 2:50am

I do not know who or what to turn too, but here is my story in  2002 I filed and was discharged from my bankruptcy. The Canada Student Loans  was placed on there so I was under the impression this was all corrected. I moved to the UK in 2005 and now planning to return but when I called home in Toronto I as  advised that there was still  $42 000 dollars outstanding.
I am completely stressed I was looking forward to coming back but now I a face this daunting task of  solving this outstanding debt.
Upon calling my trustee he said it is now out of his hands  and advise me to contact a bankruptcy lawyer to see what they can do. Well being lawyers that would cost  $2000 and just  $1500 for the retainer.
I need advise on this I know when I hit the ground and start my life again in Toronto like Hyena's to kill they will be after me. I am 43 years old  now and second bankruptcy could be costly it will take at least 14 years to clear and would have to go through the courts again.   
However just reading your first bankruptcy  stays on your credit for  7 years then am I too presume that you start a  brand new credit file.
I am just looking for answers

Thanks
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2009 at 10:49am

How long have you been out of school?

solvestudentdebt.com
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2009 at 11:29am
John is the person to speak to about this...
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
DangDang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangDang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2009 at 5:02pm
Hello guys
i have over 5000$ loan + 1000 interest from 2004
i was given a few chances to pay i made like one or 2 small payments
and then about last year was sent to a lawfirm which they sent me a contract to signs and pay them 150 dollars a month which i couldnt pay
now i was served on april 22 to file a defene within 20days for small claims court

it's represented by the minister of national i think the lawfirm that canada student sent my case to them last year is taking me to court

plz help me out here
what happens when i file a defence within the 20 days 'n is there way to prevent this i can come up with a 1000 dollars the most to pay the lawfirm
can i prevent this from going to court
and once i file a defence how long time do i get before the actual court date so i can think of something
tbh i'm scared ****less it's my first time to a court over this stuff
and even though thesematters happened i was a student and still even registring for starting this may
dont got a lot of money plz see if u can help me out here
and plus is there a criminal record for this
thank you very much

MartinDenesse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinDenesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2009 at 9:14pm
Hello..
Thanks for providing appreciate information, it’s a useful for us.
Smile

Farah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2009 at 1:17am

Like many people on this forum, I am stuck with a student loan of over 25k. Graduated over tens years ago but am not seeing the end of it. I tried to settle with them but they said my offer was unrealistic. Now they want me to fill in a financila questionnaire and letter stating settlement below parameter. However my spouse's income is required  to assess my situation but he is not responsible for my debt. My question is How much can I offer on this debt (Some people tell me it is 50%) and how much information should be giving to them. they require my tax returns and pay stubs as well...... I would appreciate any feedback.

KFarah
beerstud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beerstud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2009 at 2:01am
The collection agency CBV Calgary sends me the questionaire every 6 months. I fill it out with my information, but provide nothing in regards to my spouse, that is FOIP. AT least from what I understand you are obligated to fill this out, but there has been intersting discussions on this site in regards to the legality of this information as well. I believe that unless you are paying a certain percentage of the loan each month, you have to fill out the questionaire. Hope this helps but DO NOT give your spouses income or anything else about her, the **** are not allowed that information!!!Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>