This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIf you need help...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
mike harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2010 at 1:32pm
so (blackcat) I can file for bankruptcy based on my situation. I asked a bankruptcy lawyer here in Van.  via. bankruptcybc.ca and he told me to talk to someone in Ontario, apparently its a complex issue.
Sponsored Links

blackcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/March/2010 at 11:42am
Mike, you can include your student loans in the bankruptcy if 7 years have passed since your end of study date. You said you went to school until 2000? Did you ever go back to school and advise the student loan centre that you are back in school?
You need to call to get verify your end of study date for the Ontario portion and for the Federal portion.
Ontario: 1 807 343 7760
Federal: 1 888 815 4514

Just ask them what end of study date they have on file for you. One of the 2 numbers, I think the Ontario one, has a recording that it is for people attending school outside of Ontario and talks about some grants and stuff so I picked a random # (but not one for general info or else you get a recording and do not pick 1, it hangs up on you) to get a person and they answered the question.

mike harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/March/2010 at 1:14pm
i callled the osap people at scotia bank to confirm my end of study date, I then called a bankruptcy trustee in Toronto who informed me that I could file even though I went back to school in 2004 for five months only if I didnt receive osap. thanks.
Vixen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vixen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/March/2010 at 11:33pm
I posted in another topic under student loan nightmares but it says a moderator has to approve my first post... I posted it on March 3rd. Any help would be great. Thanks.
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2010 at 8:14am
Could you please re-post or send me a link... seems to be a software glitch as I'm not seeing it in my posts to approve list.  Thanks
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
Vixen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vixen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2010 at 9:11am
I just reposted a new topic, let me know if you need me to send you the link. Thanks.
irisheyes13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irisheyes13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/March/2010 at 8:59am
Unsure of what to do, posted in a Moderated forum and received no response, decided to try to get advice here....

I recently inquired through TransUnion about my credit report. I received 3 accounts open on my file, which was surprising, (should have been more although I assume they disappear after a period of time). Anyways, I am showing:
CIBC Student Loan - $6438 Opened 12/01/99 and Reported 05/05/2004
Royal Bank for my Canada Student Loan - $11851 Opened 11/01/99 and Reported 07/31/2003
Telus Mobility - $1087 Opened 02/23/09

So altogether I owe $19376

My question is...1. What is the smartest thing to do in order to clear my debt and start building my credit.

Can I apply for financial hardship somehow with CSL and OSL in order to have the debt cleared..(thought I read that somewhere) or should I be filing bankrupcy (although I am not sure if they would be covered as which date do they go by? Both loans opened in '99) How do I go about seeing how many years they count as being included in bankrupcy? The last time I made payments on my loans for CSL and OSL was when I was connected with Family Services Perth-Huron in Owen Sound (04/2004) and they set up a arrangement that my CSL interest was stopped and OSL was 6.25%.

I haven't made payments since 2004.

What would be your advice...I am in low income housing, my spouse is on Disability. (ODSP) and just recently am starting a part time position. I really can't afford any substantial payments.

Volvier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Volvier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/April/2010 at 10:08am
I declared BR in December 2004 and was discharged in September 2005. Immediately after my discharge and several times over at least 3 years I attempted to make payments on my CSL, but I was always told that I could not do that until NSLSC received notice of my discharge. Well they finally received it last week (almost 5 years later) and now they have threatened to send my debt to collections unless I pay the arrears interest and principle ($4K) for the past 5 years immediately. Total Loan $6K Interest $2K. The only thing they were willing to do was let me pay $2K immediately and then do the rest on payments. Q: Why am I not able simply to start making regular payments on the full amount? I offered to pay $300/month but was turned down.
zoki1510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoki1510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/May/2010 at 9:38am

Hey Everyone...

I ve read a lot on this forum and do feel that my story is somehow similar.

Ive got 2 portions of the loan-Federal (CRA) and Provincial (CBV). Recently I received a call from CRA asking me to complete a Financial Questionnaire over the phone for which I was not ready. I asked them to mail it to me which they refused. I have a full-time job but many expenses due to retired low-income parents.

Can someone tell me how this Questionnaire looks like and what do they ask for on it as I told them that I will call them back in the next few days...

Long story short they want me to pay $1000 / month ($500 each loan portion) that I clearly can not affiord!!
Any advise/help??? Please
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/May/2010 at 1:40am
If you you ask them to mail you the financial forms they have to. They require a signature. This is an example of how the collection industry style of collections has morphed into the government's style. Besides, CRA's collection teams are comprised of a lot of former third-party collectors anyway. Write them a letter requesting the financial forms to be issued to you in the mail and you will get them.

Johnny  
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
zoki1510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoki1510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/May/2010 at 2:47am
ahhh i see.Thank you Johnny for your prompt response :)
zoki1510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoki1510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/May/2010 at 3:01am
by any chance which CRA Office am I addressing the letter to???
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/May/2010 at 1:29am
The one on Heron Road in Ottawa.
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
zoki1510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoki1510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/May/2010 at 10:41am
ok i sent them a fax indicating i want a Financial Questionnaire... NO response yet, however their Collection Dept. i believe keeps calling me. The number is 1 866 864 5825????? I wonder what do they want over the phone???
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2010 at 12:49am

They want to lock you into some form of commitment. This limits the amount of work they have to do. If you follow through then things are alright. If not, then they have done their due diligence and supports their taking action against you. They cover their bases and butts.

solvestudentdebt.com
paulalynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulalynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/May/2010 at 12:46pm
Hi John,
I'm wondering how long the wait time is to become a client of yours?
Paula
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/May/2010 at 5:48pm
Hi Paula,

You can call Julie tomorrow at 866-239-7889 and open a file with her. She is available at 9 AM EST. She will open a file and get you started.  I am available for certain times tomorrow as well. Call Julie and at least schedule an appointment.

Thanks!

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
Takala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/June/2010 at 4:33pm
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows of any new shake-ups with Scotiabank? I have been dealing with Global collection for the last couple of years, I send them monthly payments and they stay off my back. But the last couple of weeks, CBV collections have started calling, asking for me by my married name (and only my student loan account still refers to me by that), so it would seem that CBV is back on my case re my Scotiabank student loan. But, Global has 6 months of postdated cheques which they are still cashing. What up wit dat?

Another wierd thing, last month I received the first "statement" of my account directly from scotiabank, something I have not seen in the 7 years since my bankrupty was discharged. They state $16,000 owed (and the monthly payment to Global receieved), which is $10,000 less than what Global claims I owe. Does this mean the credit collectors are trying to screw me over? (more than normal, I mean). I am used to dealing with these collectors, but recent events have me confused!
Jona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/October/2010 at 1:19pm
Mark:
I have phoned and left two messages. The links on the their site don't work: at least for me ... and I'm getting desperate! I need help now!
Do you have a direct contact for John? When I try their 1-800 number the message is from a Julie Brown but as I say, no call has been returned.
Thanks!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/October/2010 at 4:47am
Call Julie at 902-876-3814. That is her direct line. You can try me at 902-222-3198 or Skype. Contact Julie or I and I will give you my Skype ID if you prefer.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>