This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIf you need help...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
sccole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sccole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2008 at 8:05am
Katrina,

Hi.  I actually called the bank today to see if I could clear this debt up through them rather than NCO and they told me the same thing.  I would really have done this through the bank had I been contacted by them before they sent me off to collections but it seems out of their hands now like you said.  My 48 hours are up today and I have to call that guy back and I'm dreading it.  I did get a number for the supervisor there from the bank so I'm thinking I'll contact them instead.  Perhaps I can reason with them for a sane arrangement??
Stacey
Sponsored Links

SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/April/2008 at 1:20am
If you can;t get anywhere, let me know. I can help you get to where you need to be with this.
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
sccole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sccole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/April/2008 at 2:15am
Thank you.  I called him yesterday and kept my cool and re-explained that what he is asking for is impossible.  I told him I was willing to negotiate with him to come to a reasonable and financially acceptable solution. I offered him $50 a month(which stretches my budget to the fullest).  He said it was something.  Funny though, the last time I spoke with him he said he wouldn't accept $50 a month.  Now, I'm waiting for him to fax me a paper to fill out with my finances that he wants to send to the bank so they can make me a "can't refuse" offer.  I'll see how it goes but even a "great offer" is something that I more than likely can't do.  I have no savings to take and we're just going from paycheck to paycheck.  I'll give it a shot though and let you know what happens.
Stacey
Katrina_+ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katrina_+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/April/2008 at 2:57am
Good luck Stacey!  Let us know what happens.
**Formerly known as "kwelmm"** You never know what life has in store. I was silly enough to think I did! It's all good! Life goes on!
saskguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saskguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2008 at 2:34pm
OK, I left a message with my contact info on your voice mail.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/May/2008 at 6:50am
I will talk with you on Tuesday.
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
kimmybruce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimmybruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2008 at 8:52am
Hi there,
I don't know if anyone can help me here, but I'll try....

I had a defautled loan in 2000. When I called to make arrangements to pay in 2002, the agent offered to take $500 off the interest the had accrued and I paid the account in full. i recieved a letter stating that the account was "settled in full".
In 2005, I got a letter from the CIBC National Student Centre stating that I owed them the $500, plus the interest that had accrued on it!
I called a manager there and straightened it out, and they sent me a letter stating that I owed them nothing. The agaent, Sharon, told me it had been a mistake on their behalf, and assured me my credit rating would not be affected!

Today, three years after my last encounter with CIBC, I applied for a mortgage. My credit report showed a bad debt and I was not approved! I obtained a credit report and discovered that the $500 in forgiven interest (now $639) was now being called a "bad debt" and it is affecting my rating. I have all of my letters still saying that I owe nothing on this account. I called Sharon at CIBC National Student Centre and asked her to fax a letter to my bank saying it is a mistake, and I was told that they are not allowed to fax letters. She then said that she was going on vacation in "two hours", and was very rude to me on the phone.
I am now without a mortgage and I don't know what to do. Is there any further action I can take on this situation?? Clearly it was a mistake on CIBC's part, but now I'm the one who's paying for it :(
irenelily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irenelily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2008 at 10:17am
Hello. I am terrified. I have a defaulted $10,000 Royal Bank student loan and just graduated last year but I am seriously underemployed on-call and in the US and back in school getting my teaching certificate. I sent my US tax returns to the Royal Bank last year showing my income for my teenage son and I was $5000 total. They kept sending more forms saying I needed more proof, etc or I had used a wrong form and then said I was too late to tell them I was in school and I needed to be in Canada for loan payment relief. Then they placed it in collection.

A horrible woman calls 3 times per day, 7 days a week. My son has Grave's disease, a life-threatening illness, and the calls shock and humiliate him and make his heart race. We try not to answer but she changes phone numbers that she calls from. She told me I am pathetic and should hate myself for being such a low life and not paying my debts. She tells me to shut up, that I talk too much and that is probably why I am in this position, because I talk too much and don't know how to listen, that I lack humility.

I offered to make monthly payments and she refused to accept them. The whole $10,000 or nothing. She threatened to have my wages seized. I told her they are too low to live on for two people already, but she said it would be done regardless and I would be humiliated at every job I went to. She will go through US channels.

She pushes me to get a loan. She knows my family in Canada is dead but asks me every day and night to get a loan from a friend or anyone. I tried a Stafford Plus loan but I don't have good enough credit for it. I found a co-signer with a high income but medium credit. They rejected her. I told Carey I am trying but she said it isn't good enough and I should have thought of this when I defaulted on my loan. I have told my other friends but they have not offered and I know they don't want to co-sign. My Stafford loan only pays my tuition and books, since I am studying primarily online + practicum.

Carey yells at me, humiliates me, and insults me. She uses the word "pathetic" in every conversation. I used to hang up but she said if I did not work with her and treat her respectfully she would destroy my life with garnishing my wages and would do it that day. I plead with her to let me send payments, but she refuses, saying I can never be trusted again with payments.

I told her I was trying to get a Sallie Mae Plus loan for school and could send some of it, but she said she would stop me from ever getting another student loan, since I was too dishonest to ever pay it back. I tell her she is abusive and does not want me to repay, but only wants to insult me, and she answers with, "How dare you?" She says my morals and social standing are so low how can I ever accuse her of anything, when my disgusting behavior placed me in this position.

Today I told my son not to pick up the phone anymore. Her latest voice mail says she has no choice now but to go forward with legal proceedings, since I am not returning her calls. My telephone company does not have a blocking or legal plan for this kind of thing. They said I need to go to the police. The police can't do anything because the calls are from Canada. I am trying to find a way to block the calls through my telephone itself and identify the ones she places on her "private caller" lines. She is a pit-bull.

I am scared and exhausted. I will send payments to anyone but her. I don't trust her. I feel like I am dealing with an blackmailer. My blood pressure has risen to 220 over 131. I am on the highest strength medications and it still won't go down. The American debt relief and consolidation companies said they can't help me because it is a Canadian student loan. They only deal with the US.

A friend suggested I go online and find a Canadian company that can help me. I found this website. I am still a Canadian citizen. Help.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2008 at 1:23pm
Hi irene

It was a pleasure talking with you this evening. I will fix this problem for you as discussed. No worries.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2008 at 6:04pm
Hi Irene,
Glad you found this site. You're in great hands with Johnny's help!
Administrator
Mark OMeara
Author of Let Go and Heal: Recovery from Emotional Pain
https://LaughSingWrite.com - http://bit.ly/heal2024
ATSW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2008 at 12:43pm

I just got a call from CBV today.  The lady said they recently took my account from CBCL and ask me to pay off the debt which I making monthly payment to CBCL since 2004.  I've never receive any documents from CBV and dont know why she call directly to my office today.  I'm payment $157 each month since 2004.  She said she got all the post dated cheque from CBCL and thinking about mail them back to me.  She also said the deadline for me to pay off the debt of $19000 with a discount of $15000 must due on Aug 29.  She asked me to get money from all of my credit or credit line.  I said I would prefer to fill out the financial form and continue making the monthly payment.  She told me I have no option anymore.  Can anyone help me out with this and tell me what should I do?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2008 at 12:14am
The problem is that a ne agency has been assigned. Scotiabank rotates their accounts with collection agencies every to months (or thereabouts). It s major confusion for student loan borrowers, especially for those who have ssued post-dated cheques to the previous agency and ere ona  repayment schedule.

You want me to fix this for you? If so, call me.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
kool123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kool123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/August/2008 at 11:50am
hii there ...i have a student loan of 12000...which i defaulted ...now is in collections...i have been getting calls from tcr ....i have the following questions
1) what is the best way to resolve this issue
2) what are the consequences that i am facing since its a fedral loan
3) what if i dont reside in canada does it make things any diffrent??

i would really appreciate ur help
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/August/2008 at 1:31pm
See my reponse to your other post.

solvestudentdebt.com
kool123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kool123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2008 at 11:43am

hi johnny

i left a mssg on your vm today
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2008 at 1:25pm

Ok. I will contact you shortly. Tomorrow sometime.

solvestudentdebt.com
kool123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kool123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2008 at 2:21pm
hi john....i was waiting for your call ...if u want tell me the best time to call u and ill call
ATSW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/August/2008 at 4:20pm

I received another call from CBV today who told me he is from the settlement department.  He told me he will look after my case from now on.  He said since Nova Scotia dont want to spend too long with my account coz they need to pay fees to collection agency so they want to get the settlement asap.  After further discussion and I told him I cant afford the pay the full amount, he ask me to send him a Hardship Financial Request and propose an amount for settlement.  He even taught me how to write the letter and how to state my poor situation so that he can fill a suspection for me and propose to Nova Scotia.  Does this guy really trying the help me to settle the account? Is there really has such thing as Hardship Financial Request?  Do I need to send this request?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/August/2008 at 12:56am

Collectors try to steer you to do what they want you to do. It is a "puppet" tactic. All collectors want to do is earn their commission. That is their primary objective. If he truly wanted to help you, he would smply reassure you that he understands your financial condition, and present the hardship demonstration for yo that would illustrate that you cannot pay. You see hat I mean here?

solvestudentdebt.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/August/2008 at 2:32am
Kool,

Email again using the contact us tab on our website. Your previous one did not come through (?).

solvestudentdebt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>