This website is a testimony to the problems Canadian Student Loan borrowers experienced from approximately 1996 to 2008 and until their loans were paid off.

The privatization of the Student Loans system by the Chretien and Martin Liberal governments broke the system and defaulted thousands of borrowers who were trying to pay their loans. There were even stories of suicide due to the harassment of borrowers.

Read the report that I prepared back in 2007 here. Canada Student Loans-The Need for Change Fortunately the new Conservative government at the time revamped the program and fixed the system for new borrowers, but borrowers under the previous program were left with ruined credit and continued harassment from debt collectors.

I call on the Canadian Government to apologize to the borrowers affected by this fiasco and make amends.

Unfortunately the Liberal government is again clobbering the Education system with their upcoming changes to International Student Visas. Yes, there's a problem, but instead of a well thought out plan, they have pulled the emergency brake on the train causing a derailment. This has introduced unprecedented instability for both private and public education institutions who serve both international and local students.

Universities can't plan. I've heard of courses being cut because the government has no process in place for universities to send the newly required acceptance letters to the government.

This means that students who have been accepted can not attend courses that start in the summer 2024 semester. With cut sections, current Canadian students will have trouble getting courses, and may have to switch to part-time which changes their enrollment status and might trigger repayment of their loans or ineligibility for funding. I've seen this before. It wreaks havoc on the student loan borrowers.

Again, the Liberal government has messed up the education environment. Will the new system needed in a rush for the acceptance letters be the new Arrivecan scandal?

I call on the government to implement a slower phased in approach and delay the requirement of the acceptance letters until a process is in place to submit these letters.

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIf you need help...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Jona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2010 at 9:46am
Thank you: I will try that next week.
Sponsored Links

lesli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2011 at 2:42pm
Hi, I am new here but need some advice and quick.  

I have a debt of $38000.00 and it is in default.  Long story but basically my dad got cancer and I was out of the country most of the year till he passed away.   I was very very depressed and erased all messages without listening to them each time I returned home and let everything including loan payments slide.  Anyway that was the catalyst that got me into the current problem.  

The problem is that the government (Canada Revenue Agency) wants the financial information on my boyfriend whom I have been living with for 9 years.  I do not think he should be involved with paying my student debt.  He makes more money than me and I am afraid they will want him to pay, but he is struggling with his own mortgage and credit card debt etc.  If this comes his way I am afraid it will crush him financially and he will start to lose everything.  

To make it more complicated we now have a 19 month old baby.  And, I hate to say it, but when I was 19 I ran away from home and got married to someone who seems to have fallen off the face of the earth because I have no idea where he is or what ever happened to him and haven't in 10 years.  So technically I am married but not to my partner and my so called husband is long lost.  

So,  what does anyone think.  Do I have to add my boyfriend on my financial questionnaire or can I label myself single as I have been for years.  ( I told this to a national student loan officer once an he said to call myself single.  I am just afraid because now it is the Canada Revenue Agency.)

If I am the only person being assessed financially I could probably deal with whatever they threw my way. But if they start taking my boyfriends money I am afraid we will both go down.  For the most part he pays for the house and most other things.  Also I would not lie and make up bills for myself on the questionnaire.  Anyway.... advice would be appreciated.    Thanks....

LadyDiana65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyDiana65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2011 at 3:21am
I know this question is not CSL related, but I thought since you guys are knowledgeable about this sort of thing,maybe you can answer my question for me.

Recently, my 'significant other' came home and stated their ENTIRE PAYCHECK(which is deposited into their bank account) was garnished by Sears Canada. This person has a history of gambling and I fear that is where the money went. Yet,when I asked to see the bank account, they got VERY indignant for me not trusting or believing. Can Sears actually take your entire check out of your account? And don't you have to receive some sort of notice this is going to happen?
SolveStudentDebt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2011 at 8:44am
Sears cannot go into anyone's bank account with a judgment and execution order anchored in on the account. That would mean that Sears would have had to sue the indivdual and then find out where he or she has a bank account. They would also have to know what the account # is, and the location of the branch that holds the account.

So significant other would had to have been sued by Sears, judment acquired and so forth.

Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
LadyDiana65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyDiana65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2011 at 11:05am
Hi Johnny....thanks for the speedy reply.Smile

But I am a little confused about your response.  It sounds like it would be quite difficult for Sears to  get into my significant others' account and do what they claim was done, BUT....NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

IF Sears had obtained all the info needed regarding banking info, had sued my significant other and was awarded a judgment and garnishment order....can they successfully get into the account and clean it out?

I was under the belief that only a certain percentage could be taken (depending on the province),but I have read horror stories online about Sears going into people's bank accounts and clearing out everything that was in there. I have also read info where people are warned that while only a percentage of a person's wages can be garnished from the employer, if their bank account is accessed, it can be cleared out. I do believe this,as it actually happened to me when my ex defaulted on a joint loan he took over but failed to make payments on. (when we split, i opened a separate account at the same bank but found out the bank and my ex failed to take care of the paperwork that released me from the obligation,so it was quite easy for them to just 'dip' into my account there and take all my money. I did,however fight them and they put it back as I pointed out this was partly their fault).

So, if it happened to me...and people claim Sears has done it to them (although I'm not sure what laws have been implemented/changed as this happened many years ago)...could it have happened to my 'significant other'?

Addicts are VERY GOOD at lying and spinning webs of deceit and there is usually a grain of 'truth' somewhere in their story. I'm not sure if they used what they knew happened to me (and maybe accessed the stories about Sears online) and just created a story that backs up the claim, OR if it REALLY can and has happened.

You seem to be a very knowledgeable guy...so, I am deferring to you for an answer that is based on truth and fact.

ALSO
...last but not least. Even if Sears has been able to do this in the past, I guess the best way to put this to rest for once and for all is to find the proof that it actually happened to my partner. Do you know where I could go to do a search for the judgement/garnishment that was issued to Sears against my partner?

Thanks again for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2011 at 5:18am
It's a question of whether or not Sears actually has judgment, the bank account details, and an execution order anchored in on that account. It is easy to find out. Judgments are public record and you can contact the small claims court and they will navigate you to the location of that has carriage of that information.

Johnny  
Solve Student Debt specializes in solutions for students and graduates in student loan default, and those at risk of defaulting.

solvestudentdebt.com
Jx00x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jx00x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2011 at 10:52am
I need some help/suggestions/options on what I can do with this situation. 

I have a CSL of ~ $21000 and a BCSL of ~$11000. I have not been able to pay them for a couple yrs now and recently received an email from the HR department at work saying that I was to call the CRA regarding my loans. Called the number talked to one guy that asked for some financial details: income, rent, expences, etc. He then gave me another number to call which was another department with the CRA. The guy I talked to was not at all helpful when I explained my situation. I told him that I couldnt make the minimum $200 payment they wanted and he kept going on about how my wages are going to start getting garnished and that I have to make this payments and what not.

At this point I have no idea what to do. If I were to make the payments that they want, I will have nothing left financially. When it comes to cutting costs, the only bills that I could manage would be my cellphone and internet, which basically I cant see doing as I need a phone (I do not have a housephone) and the internet only costs me $20/per month, which I dont see helping me get out of this situation. I dont own a vehicle so I need to live relatively close to work, and for anyone that lives in MetroVancouver, knows how expensive it is to live here.

Jx00x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jx00x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2011 at 2:43pm
Forgot to add that I've been out of school for 4.5 yrs, did not graduate as my GPA fell too low and was forced to withdraw by the school and was diagnosed with ADHD just after my last semester.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2011 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Jx00x Jx00x wrote:

recently received an email from the HR department at work saying that I was to call the CRA regarding my loans. Called the number talked to one guy that asked for some financial details: income, rent, expences, etc. He then gave me another number to call which was another department with the CRA. The guy I talked to was not at all helpful when I explained my situation. I told him that I couldnt make the minimum $200 payment they wanted and he kept going on about how my wages are going to start getting garnished and that I have to make this payments and what not.

Did CRA call your employer and tell them that you owe student loans? Or, did they call your employer to leave a message? CRA collection agents behave the same way as third-party debt collectors. The only difference is that they have a lot more power behind them, that being the government of Canada. However, disclosing your personal information to your employer is a privacy breach in the event that they unlawfully disclosed your student loan issue. That should be addressed.

Originally posted by Jx00x Jx00x wrote:

At this point I have no idea what to do. If I were to make the payments that they want, I will have nothing left financially. When it comes to cutting costs, the only bills that I could manage would be my cellphone and internet, which basically I cant see doing as I need a phone (I do not have a housephone) and the internet only costs me $20/per month, which I dont see helping me get out of this situation. I dont own a vehicle so I need to live relatively close to work, and for anyone that lives in MetroVancouver, knows how expensive it is to live here.

There are certain facts that EVERYONE must be aware of concerning CRA collection agents:

1) They are less concerned about truth. Only concerned about money.
2) They have the ability to use the power of the government - and also abuse that power without incident to these agents who choose to behave that way in many cases.

You are the one negotiating with them and it is you who owes the debt. They are not going to pay attention to your hardship and financial woes or appeals for understanding. Their job is to secure money for the government and are instructed by their superiors to plug their ears when student loan borrowers and tax debtors try to demontrate these matters.

There is very little support for student loan borrowers in default in this country. The governments, corporate Canada, universities,  the tax payer, law community, etc;  doesn't appear to offer any understanding and interest. The CFW Group stands alone with students and those in student debt crisis and that deeply annoys the oppresive governments and private banks in Canada. You should see what I have to deal with. It's enough to make a Billygoat puke, in all seriousness.

The only way you are going to get past their walls of defiance and anti-student loan borrower disposition is to give them a reason to.  I can get involved and help you get this resolved. The problem is that you are the one who owes the money. THey are not going to listen to you. If I get involved they will listen because of the knowledge and experience I have.

Johnny  

solvestudentdebt.com
Jx00x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jx00x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2011 at 6:59pm
I contacted the CRA again and came up with a $50 per month agreement to which I was to send a proof of rent payment plus a recent paystub. Upon doing so, they now say that I am capable of paying $100 per month and that I need to send them 6 post-dated checks and that if I do not cooperate, they may take legal action against me. Now I am very confused on what I am suppose to do. When I spoke to them on the phone $50 was agreed to now it all of sudden isnt enough....
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2011 at 3:06am
I told you. That is how they roll with student loan borrowers. They don't care about you or truth. They care about money. There is more incentive for them to do what they are doing without concern or regard for people. It is the CRA way. 

I have posted many times about how much of a weapon financial statements are for them. They scrutinize very aggressively and always demand more. You have to know how to negotiate with them. Unfortunately, not many can without professional assistance.

Johnny 

solvestudentdebt.com
Nolberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nolberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2011 at 6:07am
Well I must say I am new at this and am not sure if this is where I should be requesting help....but I am desperate.  Last night I received a phone call from my CSL debt collector and was so shocked at how rude and abussive she was....I have been making minimum payments on this account for 4 years...i am a stay at home mom.
She told me that she needed payment in full of $ 5,600 by the end of the month and I had till today at noon to call her back with my arrangements.  When I told her that I didn't have that kind of money, she told me to borrow it from family or a friend. When I told her I couldn't do that she started yelling and telling me that I was just trying to get out of paying my debt...I explained that i wasn't tring to get out of it, but that her arrangements were not acceptable.
Then she told me that she was going to run a credit check on me, I told her she couldn't because I did not authorize it...and she growled at me that she had every right to do it, and in fact she was going to do it while I was on the phone...
So when I called her back today, all I requested was that she send me all requests in writing and by mail.  She got very angry and told me that instead of being productive last night and finding someone to loan me the money...I sat around doing nothing but finding ways to annoy her :(...at this point, I was shocked and just asked for request in mail...she then proceded to tell me that she was running another credit check and would continue to do so...and that she would make sure that my credit rating was never going to be good!
Can she do that???? I am totally confused....I have been making payments for 4 years and have never had problems with other collectors from there...they just call to see if i would like to settle or continue making payments...then the rath of spawn calls and all hell breaks loose!  She told me today that she is taking legal action!
Any advice????
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2011 at 10:10am

Who si the collector and what agency? What debt is she calling you about? It would ewither have to be a bank risk loan (RBC,Scotiabank, or CIBC) or an Ontario ro Quebec guaranteed student loan,

Would you like me to intervene and stop this harassment and get the matter under control for you so you can pay what you can afford? If youa re unable to pay and experiencing hardship then this is also something that should be demonstrated to see what type of benefits can be jiggled out.

I can certainly mediate this down to something more comfortable for you.

solvestudentdebt.com
Nolberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nolberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2011 at 11:01am
The collector is from Accounts Recovery Corporation and the debt is from a student loan from 12 years ago. I have been making minimum monthly payments thru online banking that is automatic each and every month. I was willing to increase my monthly payment a little but I just don't know what to do at this point.  I sent an email to the BBB and they contacted me instantly by phone and asked if I would send them a complaint in writing. What do you think?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2011 at 2:05pm

You can lodge a complain to the BBB if you want but unfortunately ARC will simply not respond I suspect.  You could write to the bank that assigned the student loan to ARC if you feel you've been mistreated in any way. The danger there is that the collector may decide to insert his/her own agenda and become even more aggressive. It does happen. The other option is to approach the provincial ministry but when filing a complaint you will have to provide proof that the collector had broken the law or rule in question.

There is very little safeguard for people in your situation. I can help you but it is a service and there are fees. The benefit of that though is that I actually mediate and intervene. Plus, everything is recorded for consumer protection purposes. In other words, they can't say they didn't do it if the evidence proves otherwise. The cost for what you require is very low too,  probably no more than $250.00 based on what you described here.

If you want my help you can contact me privately. Visit our site linked below and click on the contact form page requesting a call back and service.

Johnny

solvestudentdebt.com
nwgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2013 at 8:30am
Hi I need help finding out who to write a hardship letter to CIBC and the collection officer at Metropolitan Financial.

My Child tax credit and Universal Child Care Benefitt was put on hold  in my CIBC account by direct deposit  they spend two days asking me for a settlement and I said noI have no money I faxed them proof of my income level and on Monday found they took the money anyway and then they took it out as a IBB Loan Payment. Since I did not given them a written promise to pay the money owing due to undue hardship

(4) An acknowledgment of liability means

• (a) a written promise to pay the money owing, signed by the borrower or his or her agent or other representative;

• (b) a written acknowledgment of the money owing, signed by the borrower or his or her agent or other representative, whether or not a promise to pay can be implied from it and whether or not it contains a refusal to pay;

• (c) a part payment by the borrower or his or her agent or other representative of any money owing; or

• (d) any acknowledgment of the money owing made by the borrower, his or her agent or other representative or the trustee or administrator in the course of proceedings under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act or any other legislation dealing with the payment of debts.

I did not agree to any settlement or to have this set against my loan as a partial payment of a settlement amount.

I am living on assistance and that is basically my food money for the month. I faxed them proof that assistance is my only income besides those cheques.

I have since changed banks and stopped all direct deposits to CIBC. I have been given the  the run around and was told by  UCCB and Revenue Canada that because Im lvinging below poverty line they cant touch that money.

A previous post suggested I send a letter to collection office in Toronto  , But all I have is the number for the women I talked too  and she will not give me any information even though I told her she was causing undue s
Does anyone have any suggestions 
NW Girl
erin5252 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erin5252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/February/2014 at 2:42pm
Hello,

I am from Sydney, Nova Scotia.  I was advised to contact you by someone in the area.  I have an issue with the National Student Loan Center.

I graduated from high school in 2001.  I attended the University College of Cape Breton in the 2001-2002 school year.  I then returned for the first semester in the fall of 2002.  In October of 2002 I had a health issue that needed to be resolved, and became depressed afterwards.  I did not return after October 2002.  I did not fill out a pre-study report to receive a student loan for semester 2 of that year which would run from January 2003 - April 2003.

In 2009 I was overcome by debt and filed a consumer proposal on December 11, 2009.

I paid the entire consumer proposal in 2010 and all was fine until today.

The National Student Loan accepted my proposal but they are now saying that they have my end date as April of 2003 which is wrong.  I dropped out of University in October/November 2002.  According to my correct end date 7 years had passed and my loans should have been included in my proposal.  The University will only provide me an email saying I did not return the second semester.

Now the debt is owed again and the consumer proposal was all for nothing.  Repaying the debt would cause a major undue hardship for me and my family.

I need assistance as I spent the last few days arguing on the phone with ignorant representatives in multiple departments.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolveStudentDebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/February/2014 at 7:38am
Who are you looking for? Mark, owner of this site or me, someone else in particular? 

solvestudentdebt.com
erin5252 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erin5252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/February/2014 at 3:33am
Anyone that can offer any advice.
missyb1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missyb1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2014 at 10:59am
I have a student loan that was transferred to collections i have been contacted and set up payments for the provincial portion of the loan. How do i determine where the federal portion went and how to pay it? On my credit report it shows : Account name: CDA Student loan with a balance amount of 0$, and the status as: pays account as agreed. How do i find out if i still owe a federal portion or not, if i do how does this affect my credit?

-missy-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>